Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was a little late to the Paris special, but this scene just about made my day.

Also, I was a little late to the last Swapnote stationery trade, so could somebody hook me up? My friend code is 3067-5722-5507.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Has anyone watched the recent two-parter? It's one of the meaner games I've seen on the show. In addition to some super-hard jumps, the second-to-last area has a cave where you talk to an old guy for advice. This guy gives you advice throughout the game, but if you pick a certain dialogue option there he reveals himself to be the devil and resets your game. It uses a password system but Arino still lost like three hours to it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Does anybody in Japan even use torrents? Everybody I knew who was engaged in file-sharing had other ways of doing it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Well, the Budokan show is out there. I don't know if it's kosher to talk about where to find it.

I think this is the first live show that's not edited down to highlights. It's just two straight hours of games and some interludes that took place at the actual show. This works fine for all the games played, I think, except one, which went on for far too long and with not much variety. It also apparently took some time away from the final challenge of the night.

There was a little behind-the-scenes stuff in one of the episodes this season, but it did seem weird not having any footage of an AD sitting on the floor playing NES or something.

But overall it's a really great show, with really great games and two amazing come back from behind victories.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Nosferatu looks pretty "gently caress you" hard. I had a big laugh when Matsui tells Arino how to do the stage select after the first stage and Arino's like, "If you're telling me this already..."

Is this the first time Matsumura has been on the show? I don't recognize her from anything else. Also, new AD (?) Kachibe looks uncannily like a female version of Nakayama.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bolverkur posted:

It's so weird that these kind of thoughts never go through my mind when I'm watching GCCX. Probably this has a lot to do with how Arino never gets mad. I'm not saying that it's bad to think this, but I just think it's so remarkable and shows what unique atmosphere the show and the crew have. It's so endearing and builds an attachment to the viewer like nothing else I've seen. When I think about it, then the only time I've really been annoyed at Arino is when he gets that jiggly pig from Korea in the recovering episode and throws it, acting mad.

I saw that episode recently and yeah, it was really disturbing watching him actually seem mad. Him staying cool is definitely the thing that makes GCCX watchable.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A detective episode sounds like it would be a lot more work on the part of the translators...but it's still the one I want to see most.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
In Nosferatu, I wished they had given Arino a shot at getting the good ending. I think he could have got it on 9 continues. I was also surprised that there was no second form of the boss. That whole encounter screamed for like a giant vampire dragon or something.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
From the Amazon reviews, there are a couple people that are just like, "ARGH I can't touch screen" and "first game too hard," but those criticisms, and many others, are echoed in the other, more eloquent reviews.

The most common rating is two stars, though. As if everybody went, "This is bad! Not, you know, the worst, just bad."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kakaricho posted:

The first challenge of season 18 will be Dragon Child Fighter (竜の子ファイター), a Turbo Grafix 16 game by Tonkin House, who also made Full Speed Delivery Boy.

Game play footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgGxZs6VzWM

I only watched a couple seconds and I'm already tired of that giant-rear end blue bar at the bottom of the screen.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Watching the Megaman X video, all I could think about are all the elephant puns that will have to be translated.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think I know the mechanic you're talking about, but I can't actually remember which game it was used in.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kakaricho posted:

Regarding the next episode, I'm a bit shocked Family Jockey is a two (or more?) part episode, but given how hilarious (started watching it before work, but I gave up until I wasn't risking waking/disturbing the neighbours) and tense it was, I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, it seemed a bit odd to make this a two-parter, considering that no continues basically means that he's going to start from scratch on the next episode.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Watching the Shadow Dancer episode, and I really like the new segment! I haven't felt particularly strongly about any of the recent ones (the Sega one was okay), but it seems like there could be a lot to do with the idea.

Functionally it is pretty similar to the Sega one, but the MSX abbreviation game at the end of it leaves a lot more room for comedy than the party poppers in the Sega one. Kibe also doesn't seem to have any strong feelings regarding the MSX, so it's mostly just him and Arino kind of gently ribbing on it for ten minutes. I don't know if it'll hold up over a dozen more episodes, but it was a lot of fun this time. That really is the loudest drat game console ever.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The next game is C-- C--. I'm not really knowledgeable about older games, but is there anything it could be except City Connection? (Assuming they don't do an eight part Chrono Cross series.)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Jeez I did not realize that there were that many C-- C-- games.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

joek0 posted:

I love games from IREM!

I love it when they make Arino play shmups!

What is the new segment from the 2nd half of season 18? It seems to be like last season where Arino play and discuss games from Sega MSX.

They're still doing the MSX segment, at least in the latest episode.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

joek0 posted:

That is the segment I am referring to. 1st half was the Play Choice 10 segment and the 2nd half is the MSX segment.

My bad, I misunderstood. I got it now.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

zari-gani posted:

Something tells me he'd go for Chris.
ETA: Wait, he's in the sequel...

It's been said before, but Ero Game Center SEX really is dull. You can see the first 10 minutes of one here on Dailymotion (NSFW, but she doesn't get farther than taking her shirt off).

And in finding that link, I just found out that in 2013, they did a 24-hour live broadcast... Read that wrong. It began at 24:00.

Wait.

For YEARS I've been legitimately thinking that those screencaps of Game Center SEX were some elaborate Something Awful April Fool's Day prank.

I have no idea what to believe anymore.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Around the end he also said something like, "Says the guy in his forties," and that combined with the fact that he came kind of close to their time made it a little better. It was sort of rubbing me the wrong way, though.

So GIRLS ONLY PLAY SMARTPHONE GAMES is a talking point 'cross the ocean, too, huh?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

cubeboy posted:

After watching it I'm a bit confused.
Since when is a $150 complete in box rare game expensive? I was waiting for $1000+ or something like that. Don't get me wrong, it's not cheap, but I'm a bit surprised.

I'm no expert, and I would appreciate corrections, but GCCX has kind of a ridiculously shoestring budget, don't they? They use a room in the building that owns the company, and I imagine they share some equipment with Fuji TV, so after that, it's basically salary, some travel for location shooting, various stuff for pre-filmed segments, and the games themselves. I can't imagine they're exactly rolling in dough. $150 could buy enough games for 4 or 5 episodes, probably.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Where do folks usually turn for raws of this show? I found, like, through season 13, and then sporadic stuff after that.

I don't know what exactly constitutes :filez: in this case, but at least one place you could look is the site where the subs are being hosted. They're usually huge 4 GB files for some reason, though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
IQ was a really fun episode! I never had a PS1 so I never got to play it, but it looks like a great little puzzle game. And it sounds like the soundtrack is fully orchestrated, too.

I'm glad that this episode is a two-parter. It's got a lot in common with Metro Cross. which was another very simplistic game which regardless was a lot of fun.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Next challenge is a PS1 quiz game. I'm guessing there's a huge range of things it could be.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There was a lot of production put into this event, and it was branded as a GCCX event, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't show up elsewhere on a DVD. Either as the whole challenge, or a couple of episodes' worth of segments.

Also, Arino is really drat good at level design. There were a lot of cheap tricks, but also a lot of creative things, like having to get the shell to clear the boxes to get to the star.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't think anybody brought it up before, but Arino broke his little toe stumbling around in the dark for the toilet. He's got it all bandaged up in the recent episode.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
What the hell happened to Nakayama? Did he finally hit puberty? Or a second, sexy puberty?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Katana Gomai posted:

lmao the JList ads on nyaa.se are amazing

They've done something clever with them, too; the site layout gets all screwy if you block them.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Someday down the road when they're really scraping the bottom, I'd like to see him take on Super Meat Boy. It seems like a game that would be really suited to his strengths, in that you can try it over and over until you get it perfect. There's very little randomness.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kakaricho posted:

You're welcome!
All this reminded me I haven't requested Bionic Commando in a while...

I'm really amazed they haven't done Bionic Commando already. It's kind of a classic, but admittedly I'm a sucker for grappling hooks. Was it not as popular in Japan, maybe.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I also just heard this line and had a really disproportionately hearty laugh. God, that's an adorable justification.

Are there any other examples of games justifying problems in their manuals? I wasn't allowed to have video games as a child so I didn't start playing games until the N64. I've heard tell of Doctor Robotnik's deadly speed traps.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kakaricho posted:

Trying to translate "The Chief is in Your Mom!" politely will be fun.

He didn't earn the Johnnie, so he gets Jim instead.

Not a native, but hard rolling your Rs is pretty typical for a tough character, or people wanting to sound tough. Even little kids will do it.

It is present naturally in certain dialects (once when I was in Kyoto I passed two guys street sweeping who sounded like they were revving engines) but yeah, 99% of the time it's trying to sound tough. You will hear it a ton in yakuza stuff.

I can't roll my R's at all and I'm totally not jealous.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
My pitch, by the way, is the "I think I Can."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

UP AND ADAM posted:

Chris Tallman for the last guest on Dead Authors' Pod was the best choice.

I didn't think there was any way he would clear Paul F. Tompkins in 14 hours but he just managed.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Random Stranger posted:

Suda was with the show for nearly ten years so that's not exactly high turn over. Still, Assistant Director is an entry level position (remember Urakawa had literally just gotten off the train from his hometown when he showed up for work) and Gascoin does more than just Game Center CX. Staff members rotate to other projects and AD's either decide to leave the entertainment industry or move to other positions. Some of them (Urakawa again) have been with Gascoin the entire time but no longer appear on camera.

If you pay attention to the credits (which is hard even if you can read the names as they shoot past), you'll see a lot of the same names have been there pretty much from the beginning. Cameraman Abe, for example, isn't going anywhere until he retires.

And it's clear from how often previous ADs come back that there's not a lot of bad blood or anything.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

TheMcD posted:

Oh god, this is "Arino Does Top Mario Maker Levels". Given what I know about the top Mario Maker levels, that doesn't really bode well.

EDIT: Alright, it's not as bad as I thought. There's a lot of crap at the top there, but thankfully there was only two automatic levels.

I'm sure they were pretty heavily curated by the staff.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Light Gun Man posted:

Legit surprised to hear this, wow.

I just watched the episode recently and I had never heard of the game before. The voice acting was so good I was pretty sure it was a Japanese game until I looked it up.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
They new episode has the best candy shop lady of all time.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kakaricho posted:

Personally I think she's tied with the angry "All of this is mine" lady from Cambodia, but they both lose to the lady from the Olivia's Mystery episode.
She was brutally straightforward, as well as funny.

Oh, I was talking about the Olivia's Mystery lady.

I loved the bit where she showed Arino the first couple steps on the ball-flicking game, said something like, "I'll let you figure out the rest," and then helped him with every subsequent stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I was watching the Clover-subbed Ghouls n' Ghosts episode just yesterday and the subtitles would be triggered upon reaching certain time stamps. Just meant I had to rewind a bit farther but yes, VLC in TYOOL 2016 works that way.

That was a big reason I switched over to MPC from VLC. Just makes everything a whole lot easier with subtitles.