Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Awesome new op Random Stranger, guess this is a good time to say thanks again to the translating team. Does anyone have a copy of the old animated banner ad that you were running for a while? As a way of saying thanks I'll pay for a couple of rotations in the "Goon Ad" space if you can supply that banner.

e: It is done, 2 placements running for 2 months, should start appearing within 24 hours I think.

ee: It's in rotation now.

Xik fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Joctan posted:

That got me an idea... This weekend I´m having a RARE marathon :D

Those cases are cool. You create the labels covers yourself? It's hard to get a sense of scale when there is nothing else in the picture but they look like they are VHS cases?

They certainly don't look like the original cardboard boxes.

e: Oh those universal cases are neat as hell.
VVVVVV

Xik fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 11, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Is it common for Japanese TV Shows to be plastered with text like GCCX does? I don't know why I'm only really noticing it now (after about 40 episodes watched), but the show seems put quite a lot of what is said in text on the screen.

Is this unique to GCCX or a common occurrence for Japanese TV? And why?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Grawl posted:

Sorry guys, so much for hosting on my site.

Thanks for supplying some bandwidth, I uploaded it to rapidshare so those that missed it can get it from there if needed.

Game_Center_CX_058_-_Masked_Ninja_Hanamaru

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Primoman posted:

So every time Arino inserts a game into the system, he does this weird hand gesture after turning it on. It looks like he's pushing a button on his shirt or something.

Is there a meaning behind this, or is this some standard Power Rangers-like gesture that's common in Japan?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Random Stranger posted:

Wait, Arino played Metal Slug? Are you sure? :v:

He plays it in the USA Special with that nice arcade owner who speaks Japanese.

VVVVV Looks like that one flew right over my head :ohdear:

Xik fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 28, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I agree, great episode. The first video game I ever owned was Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman! for the Gameboy. Got that game and the original grey Gameboy "brick" handheld for an Xmas when I was a kid. Ah the memories....

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Holy crap zari-gani, that poster is incredible.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Pangalin posted:

Trying to coax a friend into the show without throwing her headfirst into a full episode, are there any (subbed) videos with just some compiled great moments or anything?

How about :

NC7 - Virtual Console - Super Mario Kart (15mins)
NC4 - Virtual Console - Downtown Special (15mins) Over half of it is co-op which is cool.
Super Mario Brothers 2/Lost Levels - (30mins) Lots of arcade sequences, naked Japanese men and a clear showing of skill difference between Arino and that amazing kid at the game.

If you want really short and sweet I would suggest:

Season One, Episode "M8" - Door Door (9 mins) Cute game, Guest Appearances and shows how terrible Arino is at games after being compared to that QA guy. I think this is probably the best, short episode.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Congrats zari-gani, good news for American fans. It's a shame about the ridiculous licensing issues this type of show has, it's pretty much guaranteed that we will never see a legitimate release here in New Zealand that I can throw money at.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just got around to watching the behind the scenes of the lemmings 24 hour broadcast. My favorite part:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The "hosts" have to be charismatic, the last thing I would want to watch is a bunch of nervous neckbeards playing old video games, especially if they are terrible at them. Arino can be ~bad at games~ because he is a charismatic comedian, it's humorous watching him constantly fail, it's charming watching him learn how to play these games.

Also, don't forget that GCCX has some serious editing, if I actually had to watch all the footage of Arino die 78 times at the same spot I probably wouldn't bother watching the show (although I'm sure there are some Arino fans in this thread that probably would).

I know I'm being overly negative. Sorry about that. If you go ahead with your plans I'll definitely watch it before judging it, I just hope you realize you will probably have to do something different/unique to stand out amongst the thousands of other game streams.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

zari-gani posted:

Gauntlet was one of few NES games I had growing up. I hate this game but the music is amazing, so I pretty much played it only for that.

That reminds me, I don't suppose anyone knows of a Gauntlet type clone that was released for the Sega Master System do they? I have fond memories of this unknown game I used to play at a friends place. He had a SMS II with Alex Kidd built in and we always used to play some multiplayer game that looks vaguely similar to Gauntlet.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mercury Crusader posted:

I thought I knew of one, but then I remembered I was thinking of a TurboGrafx-16 game. However, there was a Sega Master System port of Gauntlet.

Oh you are right. I just just watched a clip on youtube of the SMS port and I'm pretty certain it wasn't actually Gauntlet, but something very similar. It had that same camera angle. Oh well, I doubt I'll ever find out what game it was.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

rdbbb posted:

Golden Axe Warrior?

Nah, it wasn't Golden Axe. The camera and size of sprites are similar but I distinctly remember the levels being rooms, no part of the game was outside.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

rdbbb posted:

Maze Hunter 3D?

Nope, no cigar. It was definitely these type of visuals though, minus the crazy 3D shaking of course.

Thanks for trying though rdbbb :swoon:

e: VVVVV Nah, not Alien Syndrome. Thanks though.

Xik fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 20, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Well, well, well. Looks like I found an example of Nintendo's censoring machine at it again. Naked dragons are clearly unacceptable.

We're not above penis jokes in this thread right?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Liku posted:

I'm going to vomit. What the gently caress is this poo poo.

The same thing that happens in the west. I am definitely not trying to defend it, only pointing out that it is hypocritical to point the finger at Japan when we do it too. Rebecca Black is 14 and "Kathy Beth Terry" (a character played by Katy Perry in a music video) is also suppose to be 13.

Twitter posted:

"I'm 13 and in the 8th grade. I like Sudoku puzzles, the solar system, high-school science fairs, Skip-It, Weenie Babies and LOVE JTT!".

Yet the video is about a party where they get sloshed, throw up and she wakes up in bed with a dude. These are no better role models then the young Japanese girls in that video. Although I must admit there is something a bit more "real" about seeing those girls on stage with an audience completely consisting of middle aged men.

Back on topic:
Arino's comments about him getting angry on camera and how he shouldn't show this side of him I think were spot on. It makes him too..... "normal". Everyone else is suppose to get mad when they get a game over, Arino isn't. :colbert: I hope we don't see more of this side of him on camera again... I really don't like it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

sanjuro42 posted:

Which episode is this from?

It's episode "M2 Angelique Trois" in the OP.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Kerfuffle posted:

I never understood the "Retro Game Master" title. Arino sucks at games. :saddowns:

I thought it was suppose to be ironic. But it's a pretty silly thing to do if you are trying to break the show into a new market. How would people who have never heard of the show know this, they wouldn't even know the host is a comedian. Just some "random Japanese guy".

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bo Steed posted:

Stonehenge, the Leaning Tower, the Forbidden Palace, Himeji Castle, etc.

As a dirty foreigner I recognize it, but I've never heard about the Golden Gate Bridge being lumped in with great landmarks like those.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Really looking forward to that Pilot Wings episode. Thanks SAGCCX.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

I thought the actual article was hiding behind noscript, but then I temp allowed all the gawker domain and still nothing..... Then opened it in chrome and the same thing.

This isn't an article, it's a heading. A sentence. Ugh, Gawker, if they moved their entire publishing platform to twitter nothing of value would be lost.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just finished Street Fighter 2010 episode.Is that the only ending there is? Seems kind of stupid to have the only ending be "bad".

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

You are a cruel person.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Jamesman posted:

Is there a proper link for the Kid Dracula episode? The current link goes to a download site to download the torrent file, which is a dead torrent, and the file in the torrent is for the video and subs as separated files on top of that.

Here you go, I just uploaded it for you.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Totally Ikki.

I love watching Arino play Japanese games I have never heard of.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Chief posted:

Probably Transformers: Mystery of Convoy.

Ugh, just the memory of that episode leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Before I started watching GCCX, I genuinely thought that with enough practice and perseverance anyone could become good at anything. Even if one had no natural talent whatsoever, I figured most people could "brute force" a talent.

Arino has shown me how terribly wrong I was. I legitimately have no idea how he can continue to play the same game (and also video games in general) over and over again and not show any signs of improvement.

On another note, thanks again SAGCCX team. You lot are totally amazing and I really wish there was some way we could support you. In lieu of that, I pre-ordered the Discotek DVD from Amazon. Even though it's the incorrect region disc, on a format I stopped caring about years ago and is costing me $73 of my countries funny money to get shipped here. :v:

I really hope it sells well and there is a chance more episodes get an official English release.

e: That wedding video is weird and creepy.

Xik fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 19, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just catching up with some of the episodes I haven't got around to watching yet and am on the Pilotwings episode.

During the Gameboy segment they showed off Street Fighter II, has anyone played it? It honestly looks like a terrible port, it's a wonder they even bothered trying to cram it onto that hardware. I wonder how many kids bought that after playing the arcade or a console version and regretted it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Arino enjoy a game that much before, his face was practically glowing the entire time. These episodes are definitely some of my favorite, right up there with the Bomberman DVD episode.

Thanks SAGCCX team, you are amazing.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Chief posted:

But I don't call my penis the Kacho. :confused:

Uhh.... yeah... me neither... That would totally be real awkward and weird and stuff. :sweatdrop:

Xik fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 31, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Chief posted:

There was that one guy who's hobby was masturbating.

I think there is more then one guy....

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Chief posted:

I can't wait till the DVD is out so you guys can have something else to talk about other then how terrible Arino is at video games.

Well, Arino being terrible at video games is kind of the premise of the entire show.

But yes, I'm also excited for the DVD. I haven't seen any of the episodes that will be on it because the Kotak episodes weren't available in my region. Not that I'm complaining about that, if this thread is anything to go by the dubbed versions are terrible.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Amazon must have a number of shipments of it and be shipping them out on a FIFO basis (I ordered mine late). Either that or it's adding a month or more to my arrival date because I live in NZ.

quote:

We're writing about the order you placed on August 18, 2012. Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Shinya Arino, Eastern Star "Retro Game Master: The Game Center CX Collection"
Estimated arrival date: October 29, 2012 - November 19, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't had a chance to watch this episode yet (SAGCCX's version with the Pokemon segments anyway), but which Pokemon game let you exchange hats? Is that really a thing in the series?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Katana Gomai posted:

And while we're at it, why Terranigma was never released in America.

I wasn't aware censorship was the reason the states never got a Terranigma release. Surely they would have just changed or censored whatever was "wrong" with it instead of simply not releasing it. I haven't played it though so really have no idea what it's really about.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

zari-gani posted:

No royalties.

Is this normal for art you sell (and in the industry) or did you just make that arrangement with them because you're a big fan of the show?

e: VVVVV Interesting, thanks!

Xik fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 4, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Nintendo having ridiculous control over their platforms is what made them. I'm sure the people in this thread don't need a history lesson about the state of the gaming industry right before the NES and what the result was of having "open" platforms with no quality control. This is Nintendo, it's been successful for them for ~30 years and I doubt they will change any time soon.

I personally hate the idea of closed systems and closed software, I run Linux and all the software I write is released under the GNU GPL. I get it, but it's also saying something that my favourite gaming platform is the SNES. If you're reading this thread chances are you are also a fan of at least one of their platforms so they obviously did/do something very "right".

Nintendo is Nintendo and I honestly think that this type of control is so ingrained in the company that apart from a complete takeover by another entity this aspect of them will never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh bullshit and horse manure. The Gameboy was a region free console...

You are right that the handhelds did seem to traditionally have more freedom then the home systems when it came to regional lockouts. I wasn't just talking about regional lockouts though. The entire Nintendo ecosystem is locked down; from the developer to consumer, they have always kept an iron-like grip on the content available.