Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

AD Urakawa's Twitter is missing from the OP, it's @uratokawa :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The car shmup is Battle Formula (Super Spy Hunter in the US). It's pretty fun but hard, especially during sections where you need to speed up to go over jumps or you automatically die.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I noticed something in one of the levels:

Those missile launchers are the center of the bases in Bosconian.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Ki has a lot of references to other NAMCO games. See how many you can spot!
There was a Pooka in another level I saw and there are clones of Inky from Pac-Man too.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I love how Tsuruoka has classical music accompanying his entry. It's like each AD has their trademark leitmotif.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

redmercer posted:

King Mike of translation scene fame has favored us with a game of interest to any fan of Game Center CX!

Takeshi no Chousenjou -- Takeshi's Challenge

This was a big surprise to me, I didn't even know anyone was working on it!
How are you supposed to beat the karaoke challenge in the translated version?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is it just me or did that UFO catcher with the money in the Tamage segment play Sonic music?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That sample clip is way better than the dubbed Kotak episodes, definitely. The announcer sounds better, translation's drat good...but what did they do to the King?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Xik posted:

Is it common for Japanese TV Shows to be plastered with text like GCCX does? I don't know why I'm only really noticing it now (after about 40 episodes watched), but the show seems put quite a lot of what is said in text on the screen.

Is this unique to GCCX or a common occurrence for Japanese TV? And why?
I've seen it on clips from other Japanese shows like that "Don't Laugh" thing and it's pretty common.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

There's Aquabats music in the episode? The staff must have good taste.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking as someone wh owns seven Densha de Go games (seriously) I can assure you that it is not an episode on track for release.
I have played some of the games and I've read the episode synopsis on Crunk Games...and yeah, it looks like a tough one to translate (there's quite a bit of onscreen text about the train you're driving and the next stop and such)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Got contacted by the producer again; all I can say is I'm looking forward to the upcoming live broadcast very much now.
Can't wait to see what this is about.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

For some reason I cannot download Masked Ninja Hanamaru because after entering the Depositfiles captcha it just kicks me to a blank screen before it can start downloading.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was listening to Talk Radar (Games Radar's podcast) and one of the guys mentioned GCCX at one point (it was episode 195 if you want to hear it). Didn't expect to hear it and it was pretty awesome.

He pronounced Arino's name wrong though. :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo, this is awesome. Major props to you guys for working on this, I'll try to watch it if I have free time this weekend.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It could just be the servers being down, but seeing how they kind of hosted files as well I'd be unsurprised if they got shut down by the FBI.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Chatzilla is pretty good.

Also, I cracked up at the Sega logo jingle lyrics. "Ki-be!"

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

My favorite AD is probably Nakayama because of the sound effect. Runner up is Toujima because he was the first AD and one of the best.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Oh man, Densha De Go episode? I will watch the hell out of that because it's an awesome game series.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Also, why must they put this much text on an interface:

Train geeks in Japan LOVE that kind of information.

The funny thing is, Densha De Go has an exclusive intro on the Playstation port (see it here) that shows a ton of trains that you don't even get to drive in the game. I think there's a Shinkansen part but there definitely is not a steam locomotive in the game (they made an entirely separate game called Kisha De Go for that). Most of the other ones are in Densha De Go 2 or Professional (which is a combination of the two with some other trains added in, I think it has the largest number of trains and routes out of the entire series)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Nill posted:

Arino rocking the Tom Cruise look.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Awww yeah, Densha De Go episode! Totally going to watch this now. :neckbeard:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Interesting tidbit: When the announcer is berating Arino for crushing the dreams of train fans everywhere, the music playing is actually a loop of a train jingle. I forgot which rail line it's from exactly but it's definitely in the Densha De Go series.

This is easily my favorite episode by far. Thanks for subbing it, guys. :3:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

I don't know why, but Go by Train is so much more interesting than it should be.
You'd think it's super boring by description, it's actually not. The games are pretty interesting, even more so if you love trains.

No continues is harsh, but it's a bit realistic if you ask me, because a real train driver wouldn't gently caress up then have some people come by and reset the train to its proper position. :v:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 26, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Jest3 posted:

Does anyone know where I could buy the PC version of Densha de Go! ?
http://www.gamestats.com/objects/675/675615/

Or the Railfan/DenGO! Yamanote Line Iphone app? I couldn't find them on the store.

Thank you so much SAGCCX for your amazing work!
You may need to look on the Japanese iPhone/iOS shop for the app, also I believe you need a Japanese iTunes card (which J-List sells)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

It's hires video footage. The Train Simulator series used video footage for their graphics while Go by Train! used rendered graphicsx. In the crossover games they used the Train Simulator graphics.
One of the Train Simulator games also has really cool intro music.

That noise that sounds like a violin is the train's VVVF inverter motor starting. No joke.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo, this is so exciting. Day 1 purchase when it happens.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Good god, I'm about 8 minutes in and this game looks frustratingly hard. The alternating views are cool but everything else seems to be set up so that it's impossible to not take a hit every so often.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Shock Trooper posted:

edit: I have literally no idea what happened at the very end of the game.
He exploded into cherry blossom petals?

Gradius is a cool challenge, but I don't know if I'd watch it given how Arino's not too good with shmups. Also the Famicom/NES version in general isn't that good of a port since romhackers have been able to do better (see: the hacked cart from the KUBOKEN segment, the AC hack can be seen on Youtube and it not only has arcade like graphics but it also makes the laser work the right way and lets you have 4 Options as opposed to only 2). Then again it was one of the first Konami titles on there and they didn't have much of a grasp on the hardware.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 3, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, Crunkgames got me into GCCX as well. I actually read the episode guides a lot before actually finding out there were subbed episodes out there.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

In the Tamage in the Bikkuriman World episode I found it quite cute how there was an Initial D arcade game in the game corner, since Saitama is actually one of the prefectures Takumi and his crew visit in the series and one of the mountain passes, Tsuchisaka, is a selectable course in that particular version of the game.

Also I have an old issue of CoroCoro Comics from I think 2000 or so (which Pokemon is serialized in) and I remember seeing Bikkuriman stuff advertised in there. I don't know if it's still around anymore now, but it definitely was whenever that magazine was published.

e: Calling Abe "Lord Abe" from now on

Zeether fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 12, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I always love when Xevious is featured in part of an episode. And this one also has 3D/G!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I kind of want to play that Pachicom game they featured in the 1985 game showcase. Even though it's probably the most boring game ever.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I was amused by this comment by a Japanese fan: "Retro Game Master has 14 episodes for only 60 dollars. Ours [the Japanese DVDs] are just too expensive..."
With 800 minutes of content for $60, we really are getting a much sweeter deal than Japan will ever get.
The same can be said for anime releases here. While Japan gets about 2-3 episodes per DVD/Blu-ray we usually get 12 episodes (which I think is called a "cour" by industry people) per set. Not really surprising Japan is envious of the Discotek release, but they get some pretty fancy boxes for their DVDs of GCCX.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I wonder what a Super Robot Wars challenge would be like. Since the games take a while, it might be something better reserved for the live 24 hour challenge.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

"Pujitsu"

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

This episode makes me want to play Dynasty Warriors now. Lu Bu is pretty :black101: (even though Arino lost while using him)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Are you guys planning on subbing the other season 1 episodes? The Taito one has an interview with the guy who worked on Densha De Go!/Go By Train! and I'd love to see that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I really enjoy the interviews in the Season 1 episodes, especially when Arino asks them "What are games to you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

This thing I'm translating right now makes a brief reference to a TV show for car enthusiasts Arino once hosted. It ran for one season, between GCCX seasons 1 and 2.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Garage Banchou - It's like Game Center CX for cars
That's part of a Mazda rotary engine on the tool cabinet! Actually, looking at the bottom text the katakana reads "Savannah" which was what the old RX-7 (SA22 and FC3S) used to be known by as well.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 19, 2012