Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck
Deposit Files worked like a charm for me last time around, but for this episode it's suggesting three days and change to download. Is it worth registering for a paid account, or should I just go torrent instead?

Thanks for all you do, subbers. We're lucky to have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

whip posted:

Any episode recommendations?

I'll second that, after you're familiar with the standard operating procedure of a GCCX episode, Tokimeki Memorial is an absolute blast. I always like when Arino surprises himself getting invested in a game for which he's clearly not the target demographic; TV-Nihon's Angelique Troia segment is a good frame of reference.

I know it's :filez:, but my hope is with Gawker's license expiring, the SA translation of S.O.S. will resurface. That episode made a convert out of my wife, who was as skeptical about the show's premise as anyone could be. I haven't checked out the Kotak version of the episode, but watching Arino yell at a bunch of doomed shipwreck survivors is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in the program.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

zari-gani posted:

In Japanese: "It's Goddess" is Godesu desu (adding desu at the end of a word sentence makes it a polite "it's"). The repetition makes it sound funny so Arino kept saying "Godesudesu was great" like that's the name. Whenever Toujima corrected him saying Godesu! which sounds like "It's Go!" Arino would then reply Ah, Go?

An English equivalent to the exchange would be "It's It's A Wonderful Life." "Oh I love It's It's A Wonderful Life." "No, It's a Wonderful Life." "Oh right, A Wonderful Life." "No, it's It's a Wonderful Life." "It's It's A Wonderful Life?"

In my desperate translation of a "who's on first" moment in a completely different language: Arino keeps pluralizing it as "Goddesses," then says "Go do what?" when Toujima corrects him. When Toujima says "Goddess is the name" Arino goes back to "Goddesses" again.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm of the opinion that this kind of localization is precisely what makes the SAGCCX team so awesome. Rather than give us a word-for-word translation (which would still be funny, albeit a bit nonsensical), we wind up with a new reading that keeps the spirit of the original joke intact. (See also: Out of this World and the hysterical "'Sup" moment.)

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

No, the 'Sup' was a direct translation. You're thinking of 'punch card'.

Gah, you're absolutely right. See, even my post is better adapted and clarified!

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

rdbbb posted:

I totally agree, but it's like trying to get everyone in this thread to watch an episode without subtitles at this point. I've tried different ways to get people to play 2, but it didn't always happen. (This is my indirect way of saying hurry up and buy it even if the fan translation never appears.)

Anyone know if I'll have any luck playing this on my R1 3DS? I finally caved and ordered myself a copy, but I'm worried I may have been a bit premature in doing so. I can't seem to find any definitive information about region compatibility in regards to non-3DS or DSi titles on the system. I'm assuming that, because regular DS games weren't region-locked, my 3DS should still be able to run it, but that may be wishful thinking.

Joshuadel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2012

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

I'm game. Sign me up, too.

3480-3255-9955

Thanks so much, SAGCCX Crew!

edit: Posted on Steam, too, but I'll leave it here in case any fellow goons want to swap.

Joshuadel fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 23, 2012

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

I managed to get the stationary last time you friendly goons offered it, but unfortunately I left that 3DS on a plane. Where it wound up, I'll never know. I like to picture it running freely, untethered by my grubby hands.

My new friend code is 1461-7241-9442. I'd love to get that GCCX stationary again, and the Mario and DQM ones ain't too shabby either.

Back on topic: Thanks to everyone for the gamut of new episodes lately! I haven't even had time to get caught up on the last couple, but Sickle Weasel sounds delightful.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Just my luck, the current deluge coincides with finals week. Is it unethical to give all of my students Bs just so I can start watching sooner?

In all seriousness, here's my thanks to add to the pile, SAGCCX crew. You spoil us all.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I'm really looking forward to getting this set. I'm glad I pre-ordered it

Seeing the disc specs convinced me to open an Amazon Japan account and order a copy for myself, even though I can't speak or read a word of Japanese. Now if only the Discotek preorders would open...

Thanks for the new episode, crew!

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Box of Bunnies posted:

This is now available for preorder. $41.97

Thanks for pointing this out! I'm picking up both this set and the Japanese DVDs coming out a few weeks earlier. My wallet is ruing the day I ever discovered this show.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

zari-gani posted:

But I think it's only these three that says it. They just... all happened to be in the three interview episodes we've released.

Three? drat, I must have missed one somewhere along the way. Pokemon, Capcom... is there another subbed first season episode out there in the wild?

It's been about five or six episodes since I posted, so here's my obligatory "you-all-are-too-kind-thanks-for-keeping-us-in-GCCX" closing. I promise by the next time to find a better way to say it, if only so it reflects just how genuinely awesome I think our subbers are.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for the link! Not sure how I missed the post a couple pages back...

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I totally want that Arino folder and keychain and would pay you back!

Same for me, if the offer still stands. I will gladly pay shipping and whatnot, and would throw in a finder's fee on top of it.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Not sure if the offer is still out there, but I'll reiterate again, I'd be interested in the keychain and the Arino folder. I'd be willing to go for pretty much anything, though, and I'll be sure to pay a finder's fee on top of shipping and the item(s).

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

drat, color me jealous. Thanks for trying, anyway! And congrats to the lucky few who snagged something awesome.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Chococat posted:

I got you josh. Going back right now.

Well, you just made my night! Thanks for being the awesomest.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Humongous Pear posted:

I'm happy to pay whatever.

Seconded. I'm just thrilled to get my hands on any swag from the show.

Chococat, I sent a PM just to get PayPal/mailing details whenever you get back to your home computer. Thanks again for your help.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Chococat posted:

Dropping the first wave of swag into the post in about 15 hours! zari-gani, Vlaphor, Xamphear, Humongous Pear and Joshuadel should have exciting surprises soon! I've sent messages out to the remaining people about their items.

I remember as a kid, I used to order prizes off the back of cereal boxes. Send two or three UPCs, get some small glow-in-the-dark ghost, things like that. Until whatever tchotchke I'd ordered arrived, the act of checking the mail inspired that same kind of anticipatory joy that any and all childhood holidays brought.

All of this to say: thanks, Chococat, for letting me recapture that magic. Is it too early to start checking the mailbox?

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone who has been eager to pick up some GCCX DVDs and swag without paying import fees may want to check out this auction. My wife and I are liquidating to pay for moving costs, and I'd rather this stuff goes to someone who'll appreciate it as much as I have.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Adding my thanks for the new episode. Were I ten years younger and without responsibility, I'd be starting a massive multi-day marathon right about now.

I know I'm a page late here, but seeing as we've only seen the Nakayama and Arino cards, here's the one I found in my soundtrack:

Watanabe Front

Watanabe Back

EDIT: Not sure why the images are broken when I use BBcode here. I'll just let the URLs sit and if someone else wants to embed them, please feel free!

Joshuadel fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 1, 2013

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Well, I'll be. Look what showed up on my door this morning.

Anyone know how to tell if this sucker is legitimate or a bootleg (I assume someone, somewhere is bootlegging the Kachou)? It looks pretty authentic to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks, all, for making the Arino's Challenge 2 patch a reality.

Any ideas how to get the patching to work on a MacBook? I don't have a Windows PC in the house, but I *do* have my hard copy of the DS game and the requisite ripping software, so I'd love to finally understand just what the hell is going on in the Detective Arino game.