Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I picked up 53 stations on the Japanese PSN as a PS1 game archive game (Sunsoft Memorial Series vol 3) it includes Wing of Madoola as well. I didn't even know they were featured games on GCCX episodes but I wanted the volume with Hebreke/Ufouria (My favourite NES game now & from back in the day) on psn & thought buying some of the volumes they already had up might encourage them. Anyway there's some input lag with ps1 game archive titles so you can imagine how hard 53 stations is, I can barely get past the 3rd stage. Wing of Madoola was much the same thing but lag or not I think the bad controls are part of the challenge. I couldn't believe it when I saw these games actually beaten on GCCX.

I got that re-done PSN version of Ikki when it was on special (900Y IIRC) as well but they must have made some improvements (like with minna de spelunker) since I found it played really well and the difficulty seemed tough but fair, not as much fun as that spelunker remake mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Big thanks for the Flashback episode I've been looking forward to that one for a while.

With Umiharakawase it's possible to get it boxed for $60 or less on ebay every now and then, I got mine for about $65 last year from a play asia sale and it didn't seem like much since the DS version cost me around $80 (I'm in Australia & the exchange rate sucked at the time). Both versions were worth the cost though it's a really special game. This is actually the only game from GCCX I own in the proper system and region, I've got a ton of the others as ports or western carts. Doesn't help that I've got three times as many Master System & Mega Drive carts then NES & SNES ones.

I would avoid the PSP version at all costs, the physics were ruined & not in a way that could be considered negligible by someone who hasn't spent time with the PS1 version.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Wow Alex Kidd in Miracle World now that's one I want to see. I got to the end of this game as a kid once & the last bit glitched out and eventually froze. I saw the ending when an older kid came to our house party and completed it in one sitting lightning fast holding the pad sideways. I've got a modicum of nostalgia for the NES but a ton for the Master System & old Sega games in general. I wanted to give Arino a few slaps and a thai kick when they were at that game shop & Kibe showed him that Mega Drive & he said 'I don't care about that'. It's really great to see they're doing this game.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I have about four of those Sunsoft ps1 comps from PSN & while they do play alright there's some input lag when playing on ps3. I noticed this the most when playing Ufouria (Hebereke) which took some adjusting since I spent a lot of time with it on a PAL NES & the speed was already different. I think the lag is tolerable but it makes some games like Mr Gimmick & DoDonpachi a bit harder. The sound seemed ok but I couldn't be 100% sure, if it was a Mega Drive game I was testing I'd know right away heh. Since it's not possible to do a 60hz mod on a PAL NES I only play carts on clone systems so the sound is always off for me.

I don't think the lag is there on PSP but I can't check since my 1000 & 2000 are CFW & I'm too lazy to do an account switch over on the PSP-GO.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
The last few episodes have been amazing so I've gotta give a redundant but sincere thanks to the team, you're the best. I'm going to import that DVD for sure. I import everything (even PAL 3DS games from the UK for a cheaper price) so it'll be business as usual. I hope though that one day the Tamage and other additional segments from those episodes are translated, I love those extra bits.

quote:

So I guess I'm probably the only person that watched the Genpei episode and really wants to play the game because of it.

Nope not the only one I wanted to try that game out the whole episode, it seemed to combine the worst elements of old game design (confusing enemy patterns and awkward controls & character movement) into one cohesive package. I've seen the PC Engine described as an 8-bit machine masquerading as a 16-bit one and that game would be the perfect example of that as it looks really nice (imo at least) but has that crap 8-bit style enemy movement and seemingly random placement that doesn't make a lot of sense, at least initially. It reminded me just a little bit of a Master System game 'Kenseiden' which a lot of people talk up but I thought was total garbage until I saw a super play that showed me it wasn't impossible to deal with what it threw at the player.

There are some really hardcore people in this thread, It's cool to see others playing or interested in Umihara Kawase, Railfan and Namco X Capcom. I slogged it out for 80 hours to reach the end of NxC & I'm really happy to finally see the game that bloke with the sword came from. I'd seen screenshots but never checked out the game in detail like this.

BTW those train games don't mess around it's just like the GCCX episode, smooth sailing 'till you have to stop at a station. I think the Tokyo Bus Guide games have the edge on them though, just as strict but somehow a bit more friendly towards drunken competition among friends, the fact we drive on the left side of the road here doesn't hurt either.

Finally as a serious STG fan it's nice to see they're doing Gradius, although it might be a bit frustrating to watch. I might have to check out a RAW like I did with Alex Kidd (which was great, it was like watching myself playing the game for the first time).

Chaindive fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 3, 2012

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Fuuun Gokuu Ninden on ps1 was alright.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
That dvd set can't come soon enough, I think it's the only dvd set I've seen in ages that I'm happy to buy at this price-point outside of Hell's Kitchen DVD's.

It was cool to see super volleyball at that game center in the jump episode, I have that one on ps2 as part of the oretachi game center series, it's a lot of fun.

quote:

I always love when Xevious is featured in part of an episode. And this one also has 3D/G!

I loved the time Arino disrupted that expert Xevious player asking for a life only to receive a blunt refusal, it's one of my favourite GCCX moments.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I have SFII on the GB, it plays really badly. Street Fighter Alpha on GBC is quite good though, I tried it out on the Gamecube GB player recently & thought it held up. Some of the SNK ports on GB were ok as well, not NGP quality but good considering the system.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
That sim trailer made me want to dig around in the cupboard for my Railfan games. I'd also like to note that I had a really good night once drunk as buggery with a few mates playing Tokyo Bus Guide 2. These were people who like playing GTA/FPS and the rest of the detritus that makes modern gaming so boring, yet they all had a killer time simulating drunk-driving a bus in Japan.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I purchased the DVD set & only watched the shiren episode, no regrets. I'd get another set even without an exclusive just to do my bit supporting something worthwhile like this. There are plenty more people out there who do this sort of thing.

That's great there's a ps1 challenge coming up. SOTN is a bit easy but could be alright, DoDonpachi has a button for slowdown so I'd assume he'd abuse that. I'd rather see Meta-ph-list for a ps1 shooting challenge due to its 'unique' features. I reckon The Adventures of Little Ralph, The Rapid Angel or Umihara Kawase Shun would make alright challenges.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I own Arcana Heart 1 & 3, Aquapazza & Golden Fantasia X. they're pretty decent fighters although I prefer less spastic stuff like kof/sf. I wouldn't want the cast of every fighter to look like that but it's ok if a few do. Also have both Otomedius games. It's a bit strange looking at my 360 shmup collection as it looks like a bunch of visual novels but if that's what's needed to give those companies extra revenue through merchandising so they can keep making 2D shooters then I think it's a reasonable compromise.

quote:

Honestly that actually interests me more. If there's one thing I love more than female anatomy it's terrible, terrible games.

I agree! If I hear a game is really bad it's an incentive rather then a deterrent. Recently I really enjoyed Vampire Rain and the combat sections of Deadly Premonition (they're fine with an infinite melee weapon, don't know what people were complaining about) & when I watched the Paris Dakar Rally GCCX ep I really wanted to try it out the whole time.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

The problem with that line of thinking is that they're pushing away the people who won't tolerate it. They're not going around on message boards complaining, they're just not buying it. That starts a feedback loop of targeting an ever shrinking group of people.

I know what you mean but looking at the sales of those games stuff like deathsmiles and otomedius sold quite well while the more straightforward shooters (shooting love 200x and the like) sold very little. I got the impression that there were 'fans' out there who might not even play the games but buy them anyway along with a windia's dark urine drink and maybe a body pillow. The more hardcore among them might even grab a few copies of the same title at different shops for a variety of bonus phone cards. I'd like to think however deluded it might be that shooter fans will want new shooters no matter what and those Otaku are just a bonus.

I can only really speak for myself, I just want every new japanese developed 2D shooter that comes out. That's how I found out about Game Center CX, looking at DS shooters, noticing Star Prince, checking out the TV-Nihon subs and years later being completely spoiled by you guys.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I own Mazin Wars, don't really like it though. If they do another beat-em-up challenge it would be nice if it was Streets of Rage II or III, they're some of the fairest games of that type, even I was able to beat the second game on one credit by applying a bit of strategy.

Speaking of that I don't remember them doing a strategy game before so maybe something like Herzog Zwei, General Chaos or Advanced Daisenryaku (this one has the most insane intro I've ever seen) might be in order.

One more thing it was some pages back but I completely agree that Kibe enhances everything, as a fellow Sega fan I'm always happy to see him get some screen time. Loved that bit where he talked about the SG-1000 cartridges in such a pedantic way.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I can't be the only person who's fronted up to an arcade with some mates, all drunk only to heap abuse on the final furlong machines? It's no Daytona but it was fun for sure.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
That's insane, I'm well aware of the price of Japanese media but that's just taking the piss.

Also am I the only one who thinks Metal Slug is crap? I've always thought it needed the ability to move backwards while shooting forwards as well as the ability to fire in all directions while standing still. Without this the game just stuffs you round and isn't fun at all imo. Hard Corps Uprising had these features and the game felt really fair and fluid as a result. I love old Neo Geo titles, even ones like the first Art of Fighting, World Heroes, Baseball Stars etc but Metal Slug can bugger right off! It's a plague found in every arcade I've ever been to, even here in Australia. I know it's a running joke or whatever but I wish they'd stop covering it in the Tamage segments, even the non-games like the coin flipping and ufo catcher machines are more interesting imo.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes. :frogout:

To be less of a jerky jerk, I never felt the need to stand in place and shoot in Metal Slug, nor moonwalk. Just run up and knife people, c'mon.

Maybe crap was a bit harsh and yes, using the knife is fun. I'm thinking more of the boss fights which I thought were a bit on the tedious side, similar to 'shoot the core' fights in Gradius games that don't have that option in V that could be moved in any direction. I dunno pedantic things make me dislike a lot of games that are otherwise fine.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Thanks for the new episode, I'm 24 and a half minutes in and just heard a familiar riff from Ketsui. Thought I was going mad for a second. Killer shop segment and a good episode so far.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Wow I sighed to myself seeing 2 out of 3 episodes were DKC & didn't want to say anything and appear ungrateful but it's nice to see I'm not the only one who doesn't think it's some amazing title. I played a lot of it back in the day (at mates houses in 50hz admittedly) and the shape & movement of the characters always felt bad to me, never cared for the art or sound and always thought of it primarily as a graphical showpiece and nothing else. I know objectively there's a well designed playable game in there but for someone into fast arcade titles it's pretty boring really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
Thanks so much I've been looking forward to this one the most, played a lot of Alex Kidd as a child.