Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
A game doesn't have to be difficult or bad or require a lot of retries in order to make a good episode. There are various things that make episodes work. For instance, the game might be weird or unique, or it might get the ADs heavily involved, or it might lead to a dramatic climax, or maybe Arino will just happen to be in a mood that jibes well with the game he's playing. No need to overgeneralize based on one pair of less-than-stellar episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
That was a really great pair of episodes. The harsh gameplay combined with the generous continue system resulted in a nice dichotomy of continuous deaths vs "miracle plays." The ending was pretty great too, I feel.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

sturgeon posted:

Probably not, but this basically happens every time there is a Watanabe episode. Nothing ever comes of it.

Carry on, I guess. I have nothing else to add.

It seems kind of weird to complain that "nothing comes of it" when talking about a forum discussion. Doesn't that apply to the majority of posts?

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
It doesn't seem outlandish that Arino might someday challenge the Japanese version of Maniac Mansion on the NES. It might be more interesting to see how he measures up to an old infocom game, although I doubt any of them have been translated into Japanese. It's too bad the Monkey Island games were not similarly ported to a console. Apparently there is an actual Monkey Island in Yokosuka.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

GidgetNomates posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw screenshots of a Japanese Monkey Island. I'll have to go digging for them later. I don't think it was a fan thing but who knows maybe it was.

Clearly Arino should just learn English so he can play Monkey Island :colbert:

That being said, I KNOW Night Trap got a Japanese release so surely he can make ONE of my Sega CD dreams come true...one day...

I didn't find any screenshots, but I did find the CD cover:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-cd/secret-of-monkey-island/cover-art/gameCoverId,93243/

It seems more likely that he would play Maniac Mansion though, since it's on the NES and I imagine more people played it.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
Interesting title for the Japanese version. Something like Monkey Island: Ghost Pirate Riot?

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
I see at least one problem in those screenshots zari-gani posted. They translated, "I am selling these fine leather jackets..." to "Would you like to buy a jacket?" This was a reference to an Indiana Jones game that Japanese people wouldn't be familiar with, so I reckon they should have just replaced it with a different reference. To be fair, they might have thought the line was just nonsense to begin with, which is pretty reasonable given some other lines in the game.

psluuthor fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 29, 2012

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

zari-gani posted:

True, though what if the Indiana Jones line was translated that way in the Japanese version of the movie? I'm thinking that's the case because Guybrush is saying "Would you like to buy my jacket?" (I have no way of verifying this)

Actually it was an Indiana Jones game from Lucasarts in which he is confronted by a Nazi guard and has the option to say silly things. I don't think there is a Japanese version of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure," and I'm pretty sure there was no line like that in the movie.

Also I assumed that he meant "my jackets" and was referring to a stock of them that he owned rather than a jacket he bought for himself. Japanese is tough.

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011
This is great and I will definitely be buying a copy. I would be hesitant if they kept only the english narrator, but having the original Japanese track available removes all doubt. It's too bad that the transcripts are not all publicly available online, but I guess there is little call for that. It would make be so much easier to get the gist of what people are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I noticed this is the first time gamingcx.com credited SAGCCX on their website...

The weird thing is they have given credit to the SAGCCX team in replies to comments, but don't bother making it generally clear to all viewers. It could be that they are really dumb and it never occurred to them that they could simply link to the thread or give credit to the SAGCCX team in the video description. Or maybe they are giving credit in the most inefficient way possible in order to satisfy their morals while still allowing many people to give them credit or something.