Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Great OP.

This show has reinvigorated my enjoyment of gaming as a hobby, even games of this current generation where I was in a funk where most games were a chore to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

That game... :negative:

Arino was so sad by part 2.

I don't think I've ever seen Arino half-rear end an "I did it!" like he did in part two. Dude didn't even crack a smile!

Minus the ridiculous pixel-perfect contact between enemies, Quest of Ki doesn't look RIDICULOUSLY difficult, at least not Ninja Gaiden hard or anything, but I don't remember a game ever tiring Arino out like that except maybe NG.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

jyrque posted:

Battletoads is just perfect for co-op failure.

This pretty much sums up my experience with Battletoads playing with a neighbor as a kid. In fact I remember the rappelling part a bit more irritatingly than the infamous Wind Tunnel segment.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

I can't remember if it was this thread or the previous thread that this was brought up in, but a lot of the enjoyment that can be derived from GCCX comes from Arino as a person as opposed to the games he plays. I think he was compared to a little brother who's bad at games but is just so excited when he finally makes progress. When he does poorly or makes a stupid mistake, you feel disappointed, when he succeeds, you just can't help but smile. It's not a straight feeling all the way through, each episode has their ups and downs that make the overall experience that much more enjoyable.

And I'm with Boogie on this one. If you're yelling at Arino for being bad at video games, your vocal chords are in serious poo poo.

I usually freak out instinctively whenever Arino makes a blunder and it isn't me getting upset with him over the mistake, but it's the same way I'd react if I was making those blunders. A lot of stuff he does, I'd probably be doing too. His goof on the Bonk's Adventure bonus stage made me laugh and cringe because I'm pretty awful at bonus stages of games for some reason. Strange sense of pressure.

And to add to the Mario discussion, well, I've been playing games for a long time and most of the time now I am used to certain mechanics depending on the genre so I feel like I can get through them pretty easily, but man do I suck rear end at SMB3, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and, as I most recently found out, Super Mario Land (the 3DS buttons kinda suck for GB games, IMO). It's not some strange phenomenon some people can't get through them. It just happens. :(

Thanks for the wallpapers! Took one for my laptop.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

Battletoads, Ninja Turtles, and Bart vs the Space Mutants haunted a good chunk of my childhood. It's always good to watch someone suffer playing those for the first time.

Bart vs. the Space Mutant might be one of the worst-controlling games of all time. It was like impossible to get tasks done when the jump button was the same as spray paint or something.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Always wanted to play Flashback but somehow I get the feeling this will be better. ;)

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
The Flashback episode was pretty good. Great effort by the SA team as always. It's interesting a lot of the story was cut out. Arino always has some comment about a game's plot if it is heavy on it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Probably because there's so much shovelware on the DS that it's impossible to keep track of what's good and what isn't.

I heard about the Jake Hunter games, but always assumed they were terrible. They have gotten literally no buzz on any of the gaming forums I frequent.

I've probably missed out on a number of good DS games because of this thought. I'll try to check this Jake Hunter game though.

Nowadays when I play a game I wonder how Arino would feel about it or play it. Lately I'd been playing Rayman Origins and to be honest if you're trying to 100% every stage it can be a REALLY difficult game. I've died enough in many stages where the game takes pity on me and offers to leave the level (possibly to the next, I always elected to Stay).

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
A new episode and my Giants are going to the Super Bowl. What a glorious day this is.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Really enjoyed the Hanamaru episode. I was really intrigued by how boss battles worked in the game.

zari-gani posted:

I think that's where a lot of the show's appeal comes from -- how non-intimidating it is to casual gamers. It's inviting to those who struggle with Super Mario World or didn't have the privilege of having access to a lot of games growing up. It's a good way to hook people into the series. "Do you like games but suck at them? Well so does he! There's no shame! Finally, a show for the amateurs!"

I also enjoy that the show brings a strange comfort where you may have been playing games for most of your life, yet there are a couple of ones in your past that you probably suck at. I completely sympathize with Arino on SMB3. Unless I get two warp whistles and head straight to World 8, that game is going to kick my rear end. Heck, I played SMB1 as part of the 3DS Ambassador Program and I made it to World 7-3 before getting a Game Over and starting from 1-1.

Nice to know he's a fan of RE. RE2 is probably my favorite of the franchise next to 4. Would love to see him attempt either of them.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Given what GCCX celebrates or discusses, thought this would be an interesting link here:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/115677-pac-man-is-np-hard-same-as-travelling-salesman-problem

quote:

An Italian researcher with a penchant for retro games — or perhaps just looking for an excuse to play games in the name of science! — has used computational complexity theory to decide, once and for all, just how hard video games are. In a truly epic undertaking, Giovanni Viglietta of the University of Pisa has worked out the theoretical difficulty of 13 old games, including Pac-Man, Doom, Lemmings, Prince of Persia, and Boulder Dash.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.4995

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

whip posted:

Any episode recommendations?

My personal favorites are 53 Stations of the Tokaido, Golgo 13, and Super Mario 64.

The Bomberman episode was amazing. Fantastic effort as always.

"Can you say it with some flair?"

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Much thanks again to the team. These were fantastic episodes to watch!

Arino's reactions reminded me of my days playing EA Active on the Wii. Running in one place used to kill my legs.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

That's exactly the point. Perversions are often played up for comedic effect in Japanese comedy.

Personally I laughed in the one RRT segment where he says "Finally! A letter from a high school girl!"

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
I posted my FC on the Steam group, but I'll post it here as well:

4854-6474-9774

DLing this episode now. Cannot wait to watch it. Thanks again, everyone.

Does anyone, out of curiosity, have a QR code for an Arino Mii?

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
I'd actually like to see a segment where Arino plays one of the 3D Classics games on 3DS (even though we wouldn't see them in 3D, for better or worse). There haven't been many. I only have Excitebike but if you preorder Kid Icarus: Uprising you get a code for the 3D Classics NES game.

Pac-Man 2 was a pretty fun episode and seemed like a great opportunity for Arino's color commentary. I think I'd be so frustrated with that game despite its length.

Edit: Just got the Swapnote background. Thanks, TrueBlue on Steam. :)

Egregious fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 23, 2012

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
I regret not being awake for the entire thing but what I am seeing now is still awesome.

And congrats on the featured artwork, zari-gani. :D

Edit: Just got a confirmation on a successful fax from Faxzero so thanks for the tips, guys! :D

Egregious fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 24, 2012

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR MY HEALTH!

Edit: :(

Arino, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash!!!

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

Shady3011 posted:

Having never played Pilotwings, this is definitely not something I expected as a last level.

I've never played any Pilotwings game and even though it seems thematically different I might have to snag Pilotwings Resort now or at least Pilotwings 64.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
I missed a big chunk of the good news. Congrats, zari-gani.

I'm gonna try to buy a copy for every day of the week!

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
I don't know what to make of the fact that The Gourmet quiz game piqued my interest a thousand times more than Genpei did.

Edit: My god that MUSIC... :suicide:

I liked seeing the Tecmo wrestling game. Used to love that as a kid.

Egregious fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 2, 2012

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
You guys do amazing work. :)

I remember sending a fax during the 40th Birthday Challenge. I didn't even care if it got shown or not but I really hope they got it.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Anyone watching Nintendo Direct JP? Iwata talked about the Kirby anniversary collection and then showed Arino and I believe said something about him playing Kirby after this broadcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
I had a friend visit yesterday and after going on to her about the show, we ended up watching the Bomberman special and she seemed to enjoy it a lot. I'd forgotten though that one of her favorite games is Adventure Island and that episode's great. heh