Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Team SA GCCX are the bomb!
A little report of events so far. The challenge is Pilotwings for the SNES!

6-05 - tani and tojima wish arnio a happy birthday and show him a pile of 40 presents. He will open one for every level he passes.

6- 10 a review of a past challenge on piotwings - bonus stages

6-17 fax room with kibe

The fax number is - 03-5500-1550

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

KACHO ON!

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Arino is playing quite well!
When did he last challegne this game?

I love this game and the sequel, the rocketbelt is just so much fun to play. But Im not sure exactly how far I got with it, probably not this far.

Thanks for posting the streams, and for all the screencaps. :)

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

So to get the bonus stages he has to complete the level challenge then land on the flashing target? Sorry my memory of this game is alittle hazy. The main challenge is TO complete all the bonus stages by eight o'clock?

You should absolutely get the 64 game genredleader, its as an advancement in tech and gameplay that the orignal was for the snes. Always good to hear gaming stories, thanks for posting that. Warm feelings of nostalgia is what GCCX is all about IMO.

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Is that AD Takahashi giving him advice there?
What a lovely cardigan :)

Has he completed the bonus stages for level 6 or are there more?

Edit: Spincut, would you be so kind as to share the code you used to send a fax?

schuhart fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 24, 2012

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Which episode is this Tamage from? Its one of my favourites?
Is there any particular reason they are showing this one? Is it a favourite of Arino's or is it because of the technical problems?

Are the other games that are to be challenged writen on the schedual?
Could a clever person tell me which people just wished Arino a happy birthday?

schuhart fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 24, 2012

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

So they have given up on the skydiving bonus level then?

Edit: nice memory techknight.

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks for the translation Zari-Gani :D
Did i hear one of the lyrics mention "he's stuck in a pattern!" ?

Who are the two other gentlemen with Takahashi?

Please say someone screencapped the pictures of young Arino at the begining?

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks Zari-giri, Im using Ray's excellant guide a lot but I still get confused. Thanks for all the work on this series, it was so amazing to finally see all these episodes translated. I remember waiting months for TV Nihon releases, so its kind of surreal to be sitting here watching a live stream with all of you.

Living in England makes this easy to watch since its only tweleve midday here, but you US fans have real dedication to stay up this late!

Those iphone games look interesting, are they any good Ray?

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

They do look abit cheap, but I'd probably buy anything with the Kacho on it.
Speaking of which how is the translation for RGC 2 coming along?

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Obeast posted:

I'm actually usually up this late, but I'm starting to get tired even though I'm drinking coffee at the moment. :)

Its certainly worth staying up for, I cant wait to see what presents Arino gets next.
Also Im keeping a very detailed timeline of events for people to read after if they miss it. Inculding number of crash landings/deaths, which I estimate to be 31 as of now. Aot less than in most challenges!

Cheers for taking one for the team Techknight, what is the animation quality like?

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Awesome! Im so pleased they showed the faxes!
Did any of you use an online fax company? Also what specific area code did you use?

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Spincut posted:

I used faxzero.com. If you click the international fax link and choose Japan, it'll put in the national code for you, just drop the 0 off the front of the fax number (3-whatever instead of 03-whatever).

Thanks very much I just sent mine. Keep a look out for one with a union jack on. I gave a shout out to some of the AD's on it too!

schuhart fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 24, 2012

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

He's been on this section since 8:51 according to my record, but there have been a few segments in the meantime. He's crash landed on this part 22 times, im not even counting the number of times he failed due to not having enough points.

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Only one so far! :( I think he opens one per level he passes. He has 39 more to open so I hope he gets one soon!

Lock, how much is Fuji TV to recieve?

poo poo, well i hope mine got through. To be honest I think we already achieved that objective of letting him know he is loved internationally, so Im really pleased that some got through!

EDIT: Mine failed too, something about the phone line being disconnected :(

schuhart fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 24, 2012

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: My fax through Fax Zero just went through so they're not blocking it now...

Thanks for the tip, Im re-trying now!
Also thanks for the translations, you're making my decade!

I think he is going for the bonus ones to make up for his poor skil at the others, I personally prefer the top down view and go for a risky drop landing but it means hovering really close to the water.

Yeah I doubt he'd do overtime on his birthday. I feel bad enough for his family as it is!

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Yes my fax just went through on Fax Zero! Could you guys keep an eye out of a Union Jack?

Also I find it funny that the stream is advertising CoD MW3 DLC over GCCX, they're polar opposites of what I think of games.

Its interesting to watch a challenge live, since I sometimes feel that they exagerate how many times he dies in challenge. This part has been going for two and half hours I think, and he's nearly died thirty times. So I guess they dont have to exagerate too much.

I think he's doing really well though! Heaven knows how badly I would be doing, and I think I might have actually finished this game. It ends with an awesome helicopter section right?

schuhart fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 24, 2012

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Thats awesome :D

I hope both of faxes get shown, they're for a good cause.
No you didn't miss much, Arino is struggling with the light plane test. :(

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Man With Scissor posted:

Heh, just tried doing this same light plane test myself. First try, 42 points, second try, 70. It's really not hard.

I personally find the plane the hardest, particualry because you have the extra pressure of having to land. But yes, its not too hard to if you corner early and allow time for turning and gaining altitude.

I wonder how he copes with the pressure or if it even bothers him anymore.

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Tsuruoka was awesome on the guitar!
That was great to hear, I love that the song is as well remebered even after this time.

Who is this on the phone? His comedy partner?

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

The poster is amazing Nina! That blew me away, I cant wait to see a high quality version! I love that he went through all the little details and referances, they are brilliant!

Best gift so far!

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Holy holy is that my fax in the top left of the board?

I wish GCCX had an anime, did they say who did the animation?

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Fickle Fascination posted:

The fax in the top-left corner looks like Keep Calm And Kacho On, but I just can't tell from the stream...

Oh yes I think you're right! A deserving fax, Im glad it got through :)

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Sorry, I love the image you made but but I don't think it's a match.

It is very cool seeing so many goons' faxes on the show though.

Yeah it does look alot like mine, I put a Union Jack at the top and the wrote happy birthday and a plea for him to come to europe in SMB's font.

Though I wish they'd put Keep Calm and Kacho On instead, it works perfectly.

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Ha ha, but you guys forget, WE ARE WITH HIM!

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Who are the fine gentlemen coming to Arino's aid?
Is that a police uniform or a junior pilot's uniform?

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

I'd love that tea towel.

The drawings and message are so heartwarming, things like this make me love the show. :) After all his hard work, what a reward.

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Damm! He's so close the staff are going crazy,ZIG ZAGGUU DESU!

Perhpas its because its been 12 hours, but this has to be one of the most action packed endings to a mostly sedate challenge!

It makes me want to watch Quest of Ki in full :)

EDIT: I highly recommend the 64 version, this is great but the actual 3d makes it much easier. I wasn't suprised by this level, having played the 64 version first, some of aircraft in the 64 version can fire missles/bombs. Even so, what an awesome way to end it.

BTW if you don't know, the text scroll at the begining explains that all the other flight instructors have been kidnapped and the player must rescue them.

schuhart fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 24, 2012

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

Its the journey that matters and what a wonderful and special one it was.
Only the otherday I was wondering what the family from the SMB episode would look like 12 years on! Now I know.

It was great to share it with you all. Props to the people who hosted the streams, and once again congratulations to Zari-Gani on her amazing illustrations.

I've written a detiled timeline of the whole 12 hour show, I could post it on here or link to it on paste bin if anyone is interested. It might make your write up easier Ray.

Peace.

EDIT: Isn't that the lead singer from Kishidan? They wrote my favourite song about one night stands: http://youtu.be/bUtAKig382c
Kind of fitting considoring the celebrative theme of this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schuhart
Oct 31, 2011

I just upped my timeline of events to pastebin. Its quite long and detailed. I added some qoutes from you Zari-Gani, to explain some events :)

http://pastebin.com/ueDKyV73

Don't worry I didn't spoil the ending or the final level, but it might help to put the awesome screencaps Nill was providing into context.

I kind of wanted to do it, just to see how long it takes for Arino to improve in a section/how many times he dies on one level. So it was nice project to keep me occupied during the show.

TLDR, the most interesting part;

Total Number of Crash Landings = 107

Arino died at least 49 times on level 7 alone.

Not a bad death toll in comparison to Ki, how many deaths was that in the end?

btw as far as veiwing numbers go, I watched the whole thing on Justin-TV and there was always at least 800 people, how many were Japanese I don't know.

schuhart fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 25, 2012