Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Like many people, I got into this series courtesy of Kotaku's licensed episodes. Once those stopped, I went out searching for any YouTube channel that collected the fansubs. I came across this group's subbed episodes without knowing that SA was involved until the credits.

While I personally thought the dubbed narrator did a pretty good job, I soon saw why people complained about the episodes for cutting content. I seriously love Arino's little tours through Japan's Arcade hangouts, both popular and obscure. It's got that slice-of-life vibe that (if you'll forgive the weeaboo implication) you can't really get in an American show.

Just look at the NInja Gaiden II video where he talks to that lady wiith the premium crackers. She was so drat nice and polite. And Arino himself is such a likeable guy, even though he's largely terrible at the games he plays (stop running into the enemis you gently caress.). The broadcasts where he gets fan support and tips through faxing is some kind of meta poo poo that I just couldn't imagine happening over here. What would the American equivalent be, Twitter posts filled with trolling and spam?

This show has become an almost daily routine for me. The guys responsible are doing a bang-up job, and I'll continue to support the show and their efforts with my watching.

That's got to count for something....right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only time I call bullshit so far is during the Super Mario Bros 3 episode.

You honestly expect me to believe that's the first time Arino played that game? Isn't there some law that could get you jailed for having not played Super Mario 3 if you owned an NES/Famicom?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well yes, I don't know yet what his favorite genres are, but he does strike me so far as a Famicom fan among all else. Given his age and assuming he was gaming at the time, it's a bit hard to believe he would ignore Super Mario 3 considering the crazy hype it was getting back in the day (I think it was even the first NES game to get hype, period. That Mario Earth commercial blew my mind).

He did go and buy NSMB Wii while playing NG2, so he must be a fan. Or playing SMB3 at his show turned him into one (which would be a pretty neat outcome).

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I also wanted to mention that even though it's far too early to call "retro" , I really want an episode where he plays Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Goddamn was that game a challenge, even by Nintendo Hard standards.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The thing is, Arino plays these games for ludicrous amounts of time with virtually no breaks.

Of course your skills are going to deteriorate if you've been playing for 10+ hours, even if it is a game you're intimately familiar with (Super Mario 3, for instance).

I'd be curious to see how he tackles a game in which he is able to come back to it at daily intervals, but of course that wouldn't make for nearly as interesting a show.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm watching the USA special right now, and it's simply wonderful.

Yogaaa, whoa-ha!

I laughed so hard at the Uncle Fester machine bit.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

the least weasel posted:

My only wish is for them to do a special with a modern game some day, it would be fun to see how he would handle some FPS games.

I thought about it, and decided it wouldn't be as fun in the end.

The Japanese in general aren't big on FPS games, and Arino would likely have problems just controlling the camera. It would be an ultimately miserable experience for him and for you (the viewer, who would likely get dizzy just watching him spazz around the screen).

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Skyelan posted:

And the last seven minutes of the USA Special are just the best, man... I'm sure everyone's else said all this before, but I'm still just surprised at how great it is. Feel good show of the century. :unsmith:

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeah!

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeaaaahhhhh!!!

DO YOU KNOW THE KACHOOOOO!?

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

But I think my favorite moment has to be when he freaks out over the size difference of the NES and SNES in America. It's such a simple but endearing moment.

Also, if there really is a segment where he plays RE2, I'm dying to see it.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So every time Arino inserts a game into the system, he does this weird hand gesture after turning it on. It looks like he's pushing a button on his shirt or something.

Is there a meaning behind this, or is this some standard Power Rangers-like gesture that's common in Japan?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I suddenly really want Arino to play a Silent Hill game.

I have a feeling he'd freak out quite comically playing a game like that.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
While I do realize it's pretty much pointless considering how old the games are, I was wondering if any HD episodes of this series exists, and if there are any plans to fansub them.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Looking forward to all the stuff coming up. Keep up the good work.

Also, I just wanted to mention that I put up my list of games that I'm trading/selling in the SA mart thread, and I have Retro Game Challenge as one of the games that I want.

If anyone perhaps has a spare copy and is interested in what I'm offering, give me a holler.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been meaning to actually try one of the Bomberman games, and this episode pushes that incentive further.

What is generally considered the best Bomberman game, regardless of platform?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I facepalmed when he gleefully purchased the Rei Ayanami doll with the exposed cleavage.

Asuka is far superior.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I actually should have specified that I would like to know if any of the PSN/XBLA releases are worthwhile.

If the SNES game is still the "definitive" Bomberman, then I would be interested in the Netplay feature. Never messed with it, but if it's easy to set up, I'm down.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man, it was almost painful to sit through the Takeshi's Castle episode. As funny as it is how out of shape the Kacho was, you could tell he was genuinely suffering through this experience. Seemed he was fighting a cold at the time too.

I'm going to hold out hope that someone will recreate Arino covered in his cooling pads and wrapped towel in a bad-rear end fan-art in the likes of bandaged One Piece characters and other "pain is but a stepping stone to victory" anime heroes.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm watching the Punch-Out!! episode now, and I can't stop cracking a smile with all the Rocky music they keep playing.

I know, it's such an obvious homage, but god bless them for doing it anyway.

I'm surprised he's playing it in english though. They never released a Japanese version?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Champignon posted:

The Japanese versions released (I have a copy of "Mike Tyson's" for famicom) all just used English for their segments. The version I have comes with a little "dictionary" manual which has translations into Japanese of the English banter. It's weird.

That is weird. I thought it was a Japanese-developed game to begin with.

I guess maybe they left it as English for authenticity's sake, or they wrote it for English speakers first and couldn't be bothered to translate it back to Japanese.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone know the name of the song playing in the Punch-Out!! episode when Emoto assited Arino?

I also really hope he comes back to this game some day.

He can't just stop at Popinski. We need to see him suffer through Tyson/Mr Dream.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
While trying out Super Mario Crossover 2.0, I started wondering if Arino would be able to play this on the show, or if copyright issues would put a halt to that idea.

Then again, I also question whether or not watching him play a mod would be as entertaining as the real thing. Maybe as a spoof episode they could have him go through a list of the most popular Kaizo Mario mods and see how fast he cracks.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crotch Bat posted:

Ahhhh, didn't realize this just came out. Welp, there goes the night.

Unrelated: Is there a way to make these flash games go fullscreen?

Related: Are there any videos that collect Arino's disgruntled sighs and moans?

I bet that would make a great compilation.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crotch Bat posted:

Don't quote me but I think if you can actually find the .swf file for a Flash game and run it outside of your browser you can fullscreen it. I seem to recall playing a Flash game in such a way.

I think I know how to do that. Thanks.

The White Dragon posted:

^ swf will indeed do that, and the only problem then is finding a way to download it if the site doesn't offer the option.

Dude don't go from being creepy about Tifa to being creepy about someone/thing else, it just doesn't work like that

What? I....no, I didn't mean...:doh:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ineffiable posted:

irc://irc.synirc.net/retrochat

This is the SA IRC chat room for retro videogames. Lots of GCCX talk gets thrown around in there too.

Just reposting this to get more people to join in. If you don't have IRC, there are lots of handy built in extensions you can put in your Firefox or Chrome to use IRC.

For Firefox users, what's the best extension/program that keeps a list of all your favorite IRC rooms?

Also, the audio quality of the last two Lemmings videos are noticeably lower quality than the other videos. I assume it's due to the source of the videos, but it's murder to listen to on headphones. Everyone speaks with a bit of an echo.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kerfuffle posted:

This is the best show oh my god.

This has convinced me to check out the Megaman 2 episode next.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

softcorps posted:

Just noticed Primoman has a GCCX avatar and caption. That's... dedication?

I was looking for an avatar I wouldn't get sick of, and eventually found this image in someone's Tumblr.

I pray the day never comes where I would get sick of this show or its lovable, bumbling host. But seeing how I keep refreshing this page to see if the next episode has been subbed yet, that's not something I have to worry about anytime soon.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As tempting as that hat is, I also want to place my vote for the Sword of Musashi episode.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Could I also put down the request for more Vita-formatted GCCX screens? Preferably stuff with the king and queen sprites, or any funny/cool image of the Kacho himself?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rdbbb posted:

Here's a Vita start screen I made based on the castle sprites that were posted here a little while ago. It's pretty simple/sparse/imperfect, but I think it gets the job done. I did include the throne & candleabras originally, but then you were peeling away all but the top of the throne, which looked weird.

This is close to what I was hoping for. I would love separate Vita screens that have them sitting on their thrones.

Perhaps a picture that puts the Kacho sprite next to a giant Famicom as well?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just finished The Genji And Heike Clans episode.

That game is pure evil. The last time I saw Arino that miserable was during Takeshi's Castle. I seriously felt bad for the guy.

Also, now I know where these guys came from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c2yyDUpW1A&hd=1

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone have the record for the fastest completion time Arino spent on a game?

I'm wondering if there's ever been an occasion off-screen where he ends up breezing through a game at a surprising rate, only to have the manager or so forth intervene by saying his level of suck was off.

Also, having recently watched the Street Fighter II episode, I humbly request a gif or two of Arino imitating Dhalsim's yoga dance.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

zari-gani posted:

His fastest game challenge was 2 hours 10 minutes long, when he played ---------Ninja Spirit--------.

My life is complete. :hfive:

Watching Season 6 in order as it seems to be the only (?) case of a continuous plot.

The Ghouls N' Ghosts inspired parody of the kidnapped Queen and corrupted King

I'm actually wondering what the outcome is if Arino doesn't win enough challenges. :saddowns:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still wish someone would make a background that has the sprites sitting on thrones.

Also would love wallpapers based on the Samurai King and Dark King backgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Takeshi's Castle has him experiencing crippling physical pain.

So much so that I wish there was fan-art of him bandaged up in a bad-rear end Anime spoof sort of way.