Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
First of all, thank you every one for all the hard work you're doing! Nothing makes the World better like Arino in English! :D I only wish I could help, but my Japanese is below amateur level so...

Anyway, has anyone watched the Jake Hunter episode yet? I played the DS game last night and watched the episode today and... I'm a little confused... The DS version only took me three and a half hours and it pretty much leads you by the hand the WHOLE way. I couldn't imagine them giving Arino a game he could kill in three hours without ever getting stuck or anything. So I watched the episode and it seems to have more characters and locations than the DS version but I couldn't follow it well (the different character names and designs didn't exactly help either). Is the DS version really that much simpler than the original?

Edit: How's that?
V

genredleader fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I watched about half the episode as I was eating dinner earlier and I have to agree. The DS remakes are dramatically different from the FDS Detective Saburou Jinguuji game. Right off the bat there was that overhead park exploration section where he was helping a woman find a lost dog; there's nothing like that in the DS version. I could see where some bits of the remake fit with the old version but it's extremely different.

:siren: The Game Center CX Threat Level Has Been Raised to Deluge :siren:

Please seek shelter immediately.

Yeah, it looked in the episode that you could move around freely and do whatever you wanted. The DS version reminded me a lot of Hotel Dusk. The story is broken into chapters and you can only do what you have to. You can't get lost or screw up. And you're quized at the end of the chapter, just like in Hotel Dusk. All in all, the DS version isn't bad, but it's definitely different. Maybe someone will do a translation patch for the FDS one someday?

WHAT?! AGAIN! Oh, CRAP! The last time this happened, I lost 2/3rds of my house, the car, and three cats! And my insurance REFUSED to pay! Said they don't cover Acts of Arino! Gah! Head for the hills everyone! It's happening again! :aaa:

Demostrs: You made me jump a little but it's fine. You just reminded me how careful I have to be if I don't want to get busted.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I'm a bit touchy on that because in the past there were people who were giving me all the credit and that's the last thing I want. But no harm done.

Regarding episode 134 Arino did finish the game. He won after just 7 hours though that seems to be around when he finished anything but the hardest games these days.

I was trying to figure out what the next game was based on the King's clue but I have no idea. Roughly the clue is "initially starred A.K."

And the light bulb just came on.

Yeah, I got a little confused on that. I was only half watching the episode and realized after I had posted that [spoiler] he had finished but the ending looked so different (plus I was skipping around in the video and missed the English completion screen) from the DS one that I assumed it wasn't done. I tried to correct my post but it was already too late. Anyway, I guess they decided Arino needed a break after Battletoads...

Silentman0 posted:

Shut the gently caress up and get out.

Look, I already told you! I didn't know she was your girlfriend! You never introduced her to us, how was -I- supposed to know, brother?! :cry:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Takeshi's Castle?! "Majide?!" I wonder if he's going to wonder if he did anything to anger the staff enough to make him play ANOTHER Beat Takeshi game. :xd:

Well, the torrent is going fast for me so I think it's working fine. Anyway, thanks for the grub! I only wish I could watch it now but I have to go out and earn money... :cry:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
The 24 Hour Special was awesome but the supplementary video.. My God... I'll NEVER be able to look at Tanii the same way again...! He's normally so aloof... I can't believe they got him to do that! I also didn't know they had a Japanese version of Living the Vida Loca... It's just one of those things... You hear it all the time in Spanish but Japanese... That's new! :xd:

My favorite AD is Toujima since he was there from the beginning and they lean on him so much. But I love Abe, Urakawa, and Kibe too. Inoue's okay in small doses but I think Nakayama robbed him in their match.

In other news, I now have Last Continue stuck in my head. Thanks, guys! :xd: I suppose it's an improvement over the Quest of Ki song. :xd:

BTW, not to quibble, but why didn't you guys translate the temperature during the TaniixToujima bit? Some of us only know how to read temperature in Fahrenheit. :(

genredleader fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 14, 2012

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Wow. I can't believe I created such a derail with one question. :sweatdrop: I suppose I should've known better than to question it but for some reason, it didn't occur to me (even though I know) that Zari being Canadian or that not everyone watching is American, would make it obvious it probably wouldn't need to be translated for most people. I just simply thought... "32C and.. it's... hot...? I guess...? I wonder why they left it like that..." Sorry for asking... :(

Snot Man posted:

So you like him a normal amount, then?

Yes. A normal amount. :v:

Crotch Bat posted:

The yen is worth more now(~1.3 cents) but I find a 1:1 scale(1 yen = 1 penny) to come somewhat close to representing actual value for the purposes of watching a show. So 100 yen = 1 dollar, 1000 yen = 10 dollars, 10000 yen = 100 dollars and so on.

Yup, that's pretty much what I've always done for a rough estimate, just shove the decimal point two places to the left and add a dollar sign! Not accurate but close enough.

zari-gani posted:

The upcoming live birthday challenge was in slight danger of being postponed due to Arino getting the flu, but I asked Producer Kan about it last night and he said Arino is okay now. The challenge is going to as planned. I'm getting pretty excited for it and you'll all see why once you see it.

How many more days until the live show? Ten days?! Eight days?!

... Are you trying to subtly tell us he's going to finish the 53 Stations of Tokaido?! :eek:

I hope someone will stream it like they did with the New Year's Eve Special a while back. I will GLADLY get up super early to watch Arino LIVE! :xd: I also hope there's a way for us to fax him too! With the internet, there has to be a way to do it where you don't even need a scanner and can send things drawn in Photoshop directly. I hope so! Arino's team will be surprised to get messages from us Gaijin! :xd:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

zari-gani posted:

By the way, I just finished watching the Detective Saburo Jinguuji episode so I checked to see how much the DS version is on Amazon... It's a mere 4 bucks. That's not much to lose.

If you do, let us know how different it is from what Arino played. I played it myself and watched the episode and it seemed QUITE different but seeing as I'm still completely defenseless against Japanese without spending five minutes looking up each word, I couldn't tell how different. Though, I'm pretty sure the DS version doesn't have a hotel or hotel staff as part of your investigation which Arino clearly did.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
About the Live special.... Random Stranger said it was 9 AM GMT which is 4 AM EST... But is that on Thursday morning or Friday morning? I don't know which...! :cry:

I already know what I'm sending him! :xd: I just... Have to sit down and draw it... And then figure out how to fax it. :xd: Oh, this is going to be SO great! Arino will be SO surprised! :xd:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
THANK YOU and that link shall bookmarked for future reference!

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Ooh! TWO awesome things! GCCX Stationary AND Pac-Man 2?! I know what I'M doing tonight! :xd: Thanks everyone once again for this bountiful feast we are about to consume!

My FC is 3780-9016-5183. I'll add those who posted too. FINALLY! My Friend List will have more than ONE person on it! :xd:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Meh, I'm one of those weird people that's more or less immune to the 3DS's 3D. Honestly, there's only like a couple games that make me turn it down a lot, Pilotwings and Xevious. The rest don't bother me at all. It's weird cause I'm the only one among my friends that can stand it but my wife and mother have no problem with it either. [SHRUGS]

Haven't watched the new episode yet, wasted my whole night making my fax for tomorrow! :D Hopefully, I'll actually have a WAY to send it tomorrow. It's not SA Standard size so I'll direct link it: http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/genredleader/arino2.jpg I hope my chicken scratch Japanese is legible. And not horrendously incorrect. And yes, it was inspired by the Kid Dracula episode.

genredleader fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 23, 2012

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

AlexMoron posted:

If you missed it the first time, my code is 2449-4791-2612. Please add me back!

And finally to not be entirely off-topic, I want to extend my thanks to the SAGCCX crew for all they do for us! I really wish there was some way for us to give back!

Okay, I added you. I'm missing a few people myself. I got the Stationary, but I haven't SwapNoted enough to actually use it yet. :cry: It sucks being the only person in your circle with a 3DS. :(

Anyway, I finally watched Pac-Man 2. I'm not sure I'd have the patience for this one myself. The sling shot thing reminds me of that Dreamcast game he played once except the guy in that game wasn't anywhere NEAR as stupid as Pac-Man is.

Another 13 minutes. The tensions must be high at the studio right now.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
It almost sounded like he gets to open a present for every level he completes or something, but Pilotwings doesn't have THAT many levels.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
FAX NUMBER! Now, what? :O Wasn't there an web service or something for that?

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
You guys think this one's legit? https://faxzero.com/international/

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Awww... The fax failed. Said the number was either invalid or disconnected. :cry:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Emalde posted:

Reposting this for other people. I really hope we can get some of our praise to the man in Japan tonight!

It didn't work for me, though. :(

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
I think I got this game just after the Christmas where I got my SNES. For some reason my mother was feeling very generous and I was able to get it and SimCity at the same time! Both games really interested me as one of those things that could ONLY be done with a next gen machine. We bought it at K-mart and then my mother went to Wal-Mart for some reason and I stayed behind in the car and read the instruction manuals for both games. :xd: I don't remember when I first beat it but I remember playing it over in the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew when there was little to do but play games for two weeks. :p I remember sitting in the living room amongst piles of drying or destroy stuff, tearing through the helicopter levels! :xd: So many memories... Never got around to getting the N64 version. And I've been lazy with the 3DS version... Perhaps I should work on it now as support for Arino's pain? :xd:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Ah-HAH! The second attempt succeeded! Had to remove that 0, I guess. :p Thanks for the heads up Softcorps! :D

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
I don't blame him. Those Bonus Stages are hard to get to and hard to do well in. I almost never bothered with them when I played.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I don't see mine either but it's not like they were really looking at them. Maybe later.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Kachou Fighter?! :xd: I'm going to be dead at work tomorrow, but I don't care! :xd:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Well, that's it for me. I wanna stay up and see how he does and stuff but... I have work in eight hours. :( Good luck, Arino, happy birthday, and I hope to wake up to news that you finished Pilotwings. Good night, people! :xd:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

techknight posted:

Capped a few:

OH, YEAH! WHO'S FAX IS THAT ON THE LEFT? THAT'S -MY- FAX! I GOT THROUGH! :xd:

And... [REFRESHES JUSTINTV] He's still going. Wow. But I have to get dressed and go to work. :cry: Oh, well. I'll support him at work by horribly failing at Pilotwings 3DS then during my breaks.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
God, I hate work... >_< I should've called in sick. Look at ALL I missed! :cry:

Fickle Fascination posted:

drat, the ancient fax machine in work isn't working at all. I wanted to send this:

Though it's probably not a reference that would be familiar in Japan anyway. Ah well.

Demp posted:

I totally forgot all this was going down last night/today, what a nice surprise to catch up with the thread!

I'd totally buy a "Keep Calm and Kacho On" shirt, btw.

Me too! Actually, I could see that as a slogan for a localization of the show: "And above all... Keep Calm!" "ABUNAIABUNAIABUNAIABUNAI!!!!" "And... Kachou ON!" "KACHOOOOOU!!! OOOOOON!!!" "Game Center CX! Weeknights at 8:00 PM!"

Champignon posted:

gently caress YES, 53 STATIONS SONG

I'm glad that was part of the video they posted on YouTube! :xd: I was bummed when I first read I had missed Tsuruoka serenading Arino with that song! :xd:

Awesome work on the poster, Zari! Like the last one, what really makes this special is all the little details and call backs to things. Nothing says you're a fan like all those little touches that make us recall individual moments within the show. Well, done ma'am! And I can't wait to see what the other two surprises you might have with the show are. :)

zari-gani posted:

More shots of the international faxes:

Here's some of the exchange...

Kibe: "This was a big surprise to us. We're receiving faxes from overseas."
Arino: "Huh? How do you know they're from overseas?"
Kibe: "For example, this says 'From the USA'..."
Arino: "But that doesn't mean they're actually from America!"
Kibe: "This one says 'I hope you come back to San Francisco soon'... They must be from San Francisco."
Arino: "Oh, they're asking me to go back there?"

And this is relevant to the current topic:
Arino: "I wonder how they're watching this?"
Kibe: "Well... They're probably getting the information from Twitter."

Heh! The last cap has the left side of mine! :xd: That must mean Arino might've gotten a good look at it! Heeeeeeeeee! I swear, I could NOT STOP SMILING today knowing my picture made it through! It doesn't look like it made it to the big board, but that's okay, I'm just glad it got there at all! Well done, fellow faxers! I'm sure the show's senior staff are probably beside themselves knowing that there might actually BE a market for their awesome show overseas, after all. :)

Kibe knows all and sees all! He IS the writer, after all. ;)

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
They have to be aware of us. They can't NOT be. Who knows, Kan, Toujima, or some other GCCX or TV FUJI staffer with a good grasp of English could be watching us right now. It's not like we're hard to find. :p At worst, we're not really doing any harm at the present time and they're letting bygone be bygones. At best, SAGCCX's work is being used as Market Research and/or being allowed to flourish in order to build up a justifiable audience for a PROPER US or International release. In any case, I'm sure they're at least flattered that their show has become so important to so many people around the World. Truly, if there is only ONE international language that we can ALL immediately understand and get along with, it's gaming. :)

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

joek0 posted:

The Go By Train Sub was released much sooner than I hoped. Can't wait to watch it. I thought that Wagan Land was in the process of being subbed. Hope to see the sub soon.

Here is another youtube clip from the live show.

This was the second fax segment where the show non Japanese faxes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttMWnQktnjQ

This is the raw for episode #98, Pilotwings. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnTzCaxpBLE

Ah! Thanks for the video! I've been waiting to see that! Heh, mine's on camera for most of it. :xd: My life is now complete. :D

About video issues... I've been meaning to bring this up... Did you guys change the way the videos are encoded or something since Punch Out? Ever since that episode, any time I've tried to run a newly completed video on my DVD player by way of a flash drive, the sound and video fall completely out of sync. Before Punch Out, everything always played correctly but since then, all the new videos have the same problem. Any ideas?

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
FINALLY watched Go By Train! ... It was. Interesting. No, I am not shopping for Go By Train 64! STOP LOOKING AT MY EBAY WINDOW!!! :tinfoil:

I wonder if it's really that hard to stop a train perfectly or if it's now like partially automated or something? We have an elevated commuter train in our city and it always stops more or less perfectly where it needs to and it does have a driver. I also kinda wondered while watching what our train line would look like in that game. :xd: I guess you couldn't really get up to 60 KPH, though. The stops are too close together. I guess it wouldn't make a very interesting GBT level, though it is scenic, since it's up high.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

You didn't watch the Steel Battalion challenge?

GAH! Don't remind me! :argh: That episode had me checking eBay too! Doubly so, because while I'm not a big train fan, my blood DOES burn HOT with SUPER ROBOT SPIRIIIIIIIIIIITS!!!!!!!!!!! But I can't bring myself to spend all that money on it and an X-Box...

Also, the fact they're developing a sequel that replace the controller with Kinect is very heart breaking. If you're going to base a robot game around motion controls, at least have the decency to make it a G Gundam game. :p

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

It is incredibly awesome. And it plays really well; they're not just getting by on the controller gimmick.

Edit: On the other great games from the show that hardly anyone has played, I've managed to enjoy nearly ten whole minutes of Umihara Kawase since I got it the other day. It's a load of fun and I look forward to getting more into it in a year or two when I have free time again.

STOP THAT!!! :argh: My wallet can't take that kind of pressure! :cry:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! This is the greatest news EVER!!! :xd:

I was hoping one of the surprises Zari-Gani was holding back would be some form of legitimized SAGCCX release but I didn't think it could actually HAPPEN! :xd: Granted, Zari-Gani isn't the ENTIRE SA Team, but it really is the BEST possible thing that could've happened! Kinda wish they'd redub the narrator with someone more decent, but at least I know I can turn him off, and listen to good ol' Kan while reading a QUALITY translation to boot!

Congratulations, Zari! Ray'll have to lend you one of his Arino suits as I guess this makes you the first OFFICIAL employee of the GCCX USA Branch. :xd: I don't suppose there's a number where we can fax you our love, is there? :xd:

Either you guys or Discotek should make an RGM ad in the style of the GCCX DVD ads with Ode to Joy blaring in the background while someone narrates over clips from the Kotaku 12 while a klaxon blares to draw even further attention to what they're advertising. :xd: Pre-order now and get a limited edition original poster from Zari-Gani! LOL! God, this is going to be AWESOME.

Do we have an approximate ETA on when we can start ordering it? Like in the next 2 or 3 months?

genredleader fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 29, 2012

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Er... Yes, sir. Sorry, sir.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, of course, thank you. I was so excited, I lost my head. I need to remember where I am.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

joek0 posted:

Episode #136
3/8/2012
Gradius

I am happy that he is going back to this game which he did in season 1. It is also great to see him challenge a shooting game. I like too see him overcome his worst genre of game. I wonder how often the staff will let him use the Konami Command. For project cx, he will do the Super Scope for SNES. This is a great game for the season finale. Season 16 will start in April.

Geez, too bad that AD Tsuruoka isn't there anymore. I'd LOVE to see him build a miniature Big Core just to tell Arino where to shoot it.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Wendell posted:

Okay, but how many people in this thread have worn cooling pads?

I have. And it's all because of this show. At my job, I had run across some child sized ones with Disney characters which, obviously, no self respecting adult would EVER wear, but I made a note of the name of the company that made it. Kobayashi. Looked them when I got home and surprise, surprise, they have adult sizes! But the only retailer they listed I recognized was Eckards... Which was taken over by CVS in our area years ago. On a whim, though, I went into a CVS looking for them and lo and behold they HAD them! I always buy a few boxes of them when I'm at CVS which is not often (Walgreens is closer). In terms of wearing them, I usually only use them for my migraines. I've yet to need one for a game. Mainly because I usually save and quit before I get that frustrated.

Anyway, I finally saw Genji Vs Heiki.... I don't know which was scarier.. The game or the promo...

As usual, a big thanks to the people that make our GCCX experience possible and I can't wait until the next upload!

Also. GRADIUS! He should play Otomedius. :v:

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

MaskedTai posted:

Have any of you guys thought about doing a GCCX styled show/event/thing of your own?

I have, in conjunction with a project of mine, but that project hasn't reached the necessary stage and I'm pretty camera shy to boot. :v: The last time I was at Disney, I had wanted to shoot a Tamage thing at the humongous arcade they have in Downtown Disney but I wasn't able to because of scheduling and family related problems. In anycase, it was meant to be done as a one off thing having to do with that project and not something I was going to do regularly or anything. Aside from that, I keep making my wife giggle by holding out a game and saying that is today's challenge. :xd: And I keep taking pictures of my newly arrived Famicom games in the style of the show when they show the challenge game.

As for your production, like Xik said, the host has to be charismatic, the narrator super straight and serious, and you'll need a girl with a cute voice to narrate your Tamages. A white board for writing stuff on and last but most importantly a large wall clock to hand your host when he's out of time. And snacks for the desk. I think that's about everything you'll need.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Funny story, I own gooncentercx.com/net.

Not really a funny story. There is nothing there. I had an idea, but life happened.

Yup, pretty much what's happened to me. I have my idea and a partially completed project behind it but nothing else to show for it because life won't leave me alone either.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Mayor McCheese posted:

My idea is spurred on by my countless viewings of The Joy of Painting. The premise of this show would be two talentless painters facing each other in a paint-off. The way the show would work is both painters were presented with a random local access painting show that they would have to paint in real time as God & Bob Ross intended, head-to-head, indian-yellow-to-indian-yellow, to the best of their abilities. All prep work would be done before hand with all the proper paints and tools at their disposal for that particular painting; this way the artists could jump right in without any foreknowledge of what they were painting. The winner's painting would be decided by vote based on how much someone was willing to pay for each painting/trainwreck.

I know it's not game related but I always pictured Arino as a guy who is hopelessly bad at video games, is presented with a blind challenge, and yet has managed to grow in skill & appreciation. Themes that I share with my horrible idea.
:goonsay:

Add an occasional nude female model as the paint subject and you can count me in. ;)

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Not long after falling in love with GCCX, I started wanting to do some of Arino's Challenges, especially after seeing him do and ALMOST succeed at Ghosts n' Goblins which I had grown up thinking was totally impossible. And then I saw him do Solomon's Key which... I had downloaded at the Wii's launch but couldn't get too far into. I had started to think it was impossible to really beat it. And Arino showed me the way. So, since then I've tried doing his challenges, though, I really can't sit in front of the TV for more than a few hours without real life interrupting or getting antsy. For that, VC's saving has been a godsend! However, like Arino, I'm not without shame and DO use FAQs whenever necessary and play the games on whatever physical (meaning original console, VC, collection disc, or in some cases PC ports) platform I have it available on, and not on a PC emulator.

So far I've done...

Ghost n' Goblins... Did it in less time than it took Arino to quit, final clear time 13 hours and 52 minutes. Also, I didn't stop there, I then went and beat Ghouls n' Ghost and Super Ghouls n' Ghosts. The former was played on Wii VC as was GnG and the later was played on the SNES.
Solomon's Key... Arino actually beat me on this one, it took me longer than him to beat it but I didn't mark my time down for some reason.
I... Sort of did Prince of Persia... But the Mac version that came on with the Wii game that came out a while ago. I was hoping it was going to be the SNES version, but it turned out to be the Mac version instead. I did finish it but it's tough to compare clear times since the SNES version is far longer than the Mac version. On that front, however, my wife got me the SNES version for Christmas this year so, I guess I'll be having the Return of the Revenge of Last Persia at some point. :p
Kirby's Adventure... No clear time was posted in that challenge so I don't know if I did it faster or slower than Arino.

And currently... I am playing ... Or was playing... Adventure Island. On Wii VC. As such, I've been playing it over the past several months. Even suffering an Arino style Continue Failure when my wife distracted me on World 6. I'm currently stuck on World 8-3. With those damned octopi. I'm so close to finishing it but I dread going any further. :cry:

And just this week in the mail, I got...

This is my fourth Famicom game (and yes, I finally broke down and bought a Famicom because of this show), however the other three are not games Arino has ever played in a Challenge, though he did play the arcade version of one in the Onsen Special.

genredleader fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Mega WOW! Megaman 1! A pity I can't watch it tonight... So I'll put it on my phone for consumption tomorrow. Thanks again for wondrous meal we are about to receive.