Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

PosSibley posted:

^^^ also yes, make sure your possible fans are ok with subtitles, or wait for new work ^^^

I found the I had the easiest time asking "what games did you play as a kid?" Got a good friend into the show cause he used to play Out of this World/Another World/Outer World with a friend all the time. We were actually talking about the game a bit and he couldnt remember the name but remember the shadowy cat thing chasing and killing him, and I said to him: just watch this and tell me if it's the same game.

Especially if you have the episode names and just read titles as many as you can as fast as you can and don't stop until they go 'I LOVED THAT GAME!!'

For me, it was the opposite: something obscure and strange. To be specific, the one that really got me hooked was Battle Golfer Yui. Granted, that was at KOTAK, but then I found this thread and the actually good translations, and I've watched them all since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Yes! A very cool place. I dragged my family there on our trip to SF a few years aback and spent several hours (!) enjoying the machines. The perfect spot for amateur retro game masters.

I lived in SF for years and had no idea this place existed.... Now I'm kicking myself.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

xamphear posted:

We saw the guy (really hard to miss him) but after a brief discussion with my wife we decided it would indeed be "kinda weird" to approach him about how we saw him on a Japanese TV show.

He's in San Francisco. That would probably be the most normal thing to have happened in the past month.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Authorman posted:

Well you're a crazy person because SOS is probably the best episode of the whole series. The amount of despair when Arino's party jumps one by one to their death as he frantically tries to reset the arrow is glorious. I drink his pain.

My favorite part was when Arino was looking for one of his lost companions and was like "Where did XXXX go?" *Guy falls past the screen on the other side of the wall* "Oh, there he is."

Tewratomeh posted:

Although I could do without all the word apostrophe-in', you know what I'm sayin'? It's just really distractin'.

You get hung up on some weird stuff.

cronox2 posted:

I loved Dark Cloud 2 and enjoyed 1. I'd say they feel more like Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia though but with the added puzzle element of figuring out where the parts in the town actually fit. With how good Cel Shading looks now (see Borderlands and The Walking Dead) I'd love to see Level-5 some day come back to that series.

I guess I'm weird, cuz I always kinda preferred the first.... Good games, though, and would definitely love to see more of them. Not sure where you get a connection to Illusion of Gaia or Soul Blazer....

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

I don't remember much town restoration in Illusion of Gaia.... I remember a very linear, story oriented dungeonfest. Most of the time once you left a city you'd never see it again.

I'll admit less experience of Soul Blazer, however.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

That would explain it. And I did know it was part of the same series, I just only played Illusion of Gaia as a kid, so I wasn't seeing the progression. Although as a side note, it always kinda amuses me seeing how widespread the sound effects used for IoG were through Enix games.

I'm not sure how good Gaia would be for GCCX, though.... It's reeeeeeally narrative driven and not really all that much fun to watch. It's a bit on the long side, too.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

cronox2 posted:

They're not really the same series (the only crossover is the first boss of Blazer shows up in Gaia), just all made by the same developer, Quintet. As Crotch Bat said, their most known games are in order: Actraiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma (never released in US).

Also according to their Wikipedia they made Legacy of the Wizard?

There's more crossovers than that. Naturally I can't recall offhand what they are, but I firmly remember Illusion of Gaia being part of the Soul Blazer/Act Raiser series, though all of them are only loosely tied together (Illusion of Gaia especially so).

(I want to say Dark Gaia is from other games in the series, but I simply can't remember for certain. Possibly even Freedan and Shadow.)

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Splash Damage posted:

What's the deal with that one dude who laughs super hard at everything Arino says?

He's awesome. That's what his deal is.

No seriously, that guy makes everything seem even funnier. Besides, I prefer that to most shows where you completely forget the crew is even there.

On a side note of favorite Arino moments, was just re-watching the Bomberman special and it really cracks me up when he gives Toujima such a hard time over the "Goddessu desu" thing. The way those two interact is just so amusing.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

It's from the Northern Trip travelogue. Part 8, I believe. About 5 minutes into the 8-9 video.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Nice. Looking forward to this. And as always, good work keeping the episodes coming.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Obeast posted:

Didn't those characters end up as bosses in Haggleman 3?

Yup. I never realized they were actually created based off of Lord Abe's Ambition, though. Just never quite made the connection and thought they were something he had made already. (In fact, I thought the box design was a reference to that, rather than the other way around.)

On another note, I could almost swear I had that Mario game.... I remember being fairly unimpressed with it. Kinda wish I still had it considering the current value....

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

zari-gani posted:

While watching this episode last night I couldn't help but be amused by how out-of-chronological-order the "Project: Game Version" documentary has been thanks to the way we've been releasing episodes (yes it's largely my fault). Feels like they've been working on Retro Game Challenge forever as a result. Did we finally get all of them?

Looks like it. 47 is the start, 48 the concept meeting, 49 the party where the logo was revealed, 51 and 54 they showed sneak peeks at some of the games, 55 was game testing with fans who sent submissions, then of course 58 was the hilarious launch day fiasco. Still missing 52 and 53, but if anything those would likely be more sneak peeks rather than actual development. (Plus, 53 is DVD material.)

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

It's like Christmas! :swoon:

Nicely done, guys (and of course gals). Thanks once again.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Joctan posted:

Gacha-Gacha made it to the final product!

I knew that lumpy little jerk looked familiar, but I just couldn't place it!

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Joctan posted:

Gacha-Gacha made it to the final product!

You know, for that matter, so did Muku-Muku.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Yes, the over-the-top dramatic situation with the black and white images... and the duck. It was fantastic, especially considering how often they actually use that effect seriously.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

Well the show is about his attempts to master retro games, so I guess you could look at it that way.

Alternatively, maybe it's supposed to be ironic, like when you call a tall guy Shorty :v:

Xik posted:

I thought it was suppose to be ironic. But it's a pretty silly thing to do if you are trying to break the show into a new market. How would people who have never heard of the show know this, they wouldn't even know the host is a comedian. Just some "random Japanese guy".

Meh. I always looked at it much more cynically. I personally think those involved just wanted to make a "marketable" title and decided "Retro Game Master" was more of a hook. He's not just some Japanese guy! He's the Retro Game Master. But you can call him The Kacho.

As far as the translation specifics, I've always felt the SA team strikes a really nice balance. It's really helped by the fact that they actually drop in reference pictures a lot of the times when Arino makes a pop-culture comparison. For the rest of it, though, I always feel like I can keep up. It's about conveying info to the viewer at the same rate it's being discussed, and in some cases the truly accurate translation would cause more of a hangup than the familiar name (eg Patapatas, Nokonokos). Sure, there are times when I flat out don't get a reference because it's based on Japanese culture, but then again, I miss plenty of American pop-culture references too so it never really bothers me that much. Watching the TV-Nihon eps, though, I actually had to pause the video a couple of times to read the itty-bitty text explaining the joke which kinda screwed up the flow of the episode. Not to mention that when you have to explain a joke it stops being funny anyway.

edit: Now with less baseless accusations! No seriously. I'm an idiot.

Bo Steed fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 14, 2012

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

^^^^ What I meant. Just briefly forgot that bit. Point being it felt more like a marketing decision than anything else. Then again, I could just be jaded after a lifetime of being similarly played to by commercial translations.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

4) Inoko Max not having a number 1 sheet might be the comedy moment of 2012.

I'm not even sure how that happened, whether he actually failed to pick up the sheet, somehow forgot to make one, actually had it as a scripted event, or had someone steal it for impending comedy. It almost seemed too perfect... but it was still perfect and I laughed like a madman.

And once again, thanks for even more episodes to the team.... Three in a row... It's like my birthday and Christmas together!

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Very nice. I'm waiting eagerly with wallet in hand.

I'm pretty sure we can wait, though. A little spoiled by 3 releases in a row, but total burnout would suck more than a little break. Besides, not like they're really "duties" to begin with.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Also, this image never fails to amuse me and blow my mind:

Edit: ^^^vvv So excited. For real.

Bo Steed fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 18, 2012

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Ugh... You guys are killing me.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Corridor posted:

Not to diss you guys, but it's always adorable when you act all surprised how foreigners aren't instantly familiar with your cultural staples.

I didn't say I was surprised, just that it blows my mind a little. It's not like I expect every person from every culture to recognize every American landmark (and he seems familiar enough with the Statue of Liberty), it's just that it amazes me a little that the Golden Gate Bridge didn't make the list of memorable landmarks. After all, even with my crappy American education there are a certain amount of locations that are just common knowledge, like Stonehenge, the Leaning Tower, the Forbidden Palace, Himeji Castle, etc.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Seems I'm some sorta racist ignorant American, thinking people might know things about the US and daring to compare the Golden Gate Bridge to noted landmarks. At least I didn't use it in the same breath as the Parthenon or I might really have been in some trouble.

No seriously, am I crazy? Thinking of top American landmarks Golden Gate has been in the top 5 at least. I thought it was pretty iconic. And I'm pretty sure I can name a fairly sizable amount of landmarks from any number of countries just from school.

That's what I get for growing up in this country, I guess. Sorry for the derail? V:shobon:V

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Very possible, very likely. On the other hand, I could just as easily imagine the crew dragging a very badly jet-lagged Arino out to the Golden Gate and not letting him know it's actually that bridge just for the fun of letting him stumble about.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Not sure if anyone saw already/cares, but Destructoid ran an article about the DVD. It's almost like people other than us are paying attention!

PS: Since other people are spamming it, I may as well jump on the jolly bandwagon. 5327-0915-6612 would love the stationary if anyone is giving it out. Any and all, really, though people may be getting tired of all this by now.

So anyway, yeah. Still eagerly waiting for the DVD. So far away....

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Every window in my house.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Haven't watched the Quiz episode yet, but the Downtown show was hilarious. Poor Arino. Again he ends up the whipping boy.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Unsatisfied with keeping the fighting in the streets of the present, Capcom decided to take it to the space streets in the dystopian future of the year 2010. Can Arino cyborg-laser-punch his way to victory over today's futuristic challenge? Street Fighter 2010. Translated by Zari-gani and timed by Gutcruncher

Ok, seriously, you guys. I was supposed to actually sleep tonight. :(

Ah, who am I kidding? Sleep is for the weak. Thanks for continuing to be awesome.

Eager to see this one. Such a weird spinoff...

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Well I love puns :colbert:

I'm particularly fond of every time Suda busts one out. He gets the best reactions out of Arino and the entire staff. :allears: Then again, Suda is pretty much awesome in general.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm not sure which version I like better - the one where Toru Osawa loves terrible puns, or the one where he enjoyed torturing the player and then telling them it's a "bonus". I guess they're both true to a degree, but it seems so much less sadistic now.

I liked the version where he enjoyed hitting people with an eggplant tied to a stick. Does make a lot more sense in context.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

All the polite guest/host talk makes me think of two specific GCCX situations....

Arino going to Inoue's place, ringing the doorbell like 7 times and starting to wander in with his shoes on, then poking through Inoue's stuff.

Cameraman Abe shoving his way in to Nakayama's, chugging beer, and cooking food in the middle of the night.

Granted, both of them had reasons they could get away with it, but if anything it heightens the absurdity.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

You know the first stage after the prologue? Remember the very first rock you have to jump over without bouncing back into the water?

Wow..... All I can say is.... I'm sorry.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

That could be a GCCX spinoff. Have the staff's mothers try to play a game. It will be like the most frustrating episode, except EVERY episode!

There are plenty of times when I want to throttle Arino for missing one of those "SO OBVIOUS" things.

Although speaking of which, can you imagine what the AD's have to go through? I mean, they've done the research. They know how to play the game, how to solve the puzzles, and how to break the system, but most of the time they have to spend upwards of twelve hours sitting in one tiny room watching a middle-aged man fail at the same boss/jump/puzzle over and over and freaking over again, even when there's an easier way that would take five minutes.

As much as it kills my soul to watch for one or two minutes, they have to sit through the entire thing and can only help him a few times per episode. Here's to the AD's (and anyone else who knows the game during filming). Truly, they are the heroes. :japan:

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

xamphear posted:

I wonder if they were worried that the game would be too easy, and that if he knew the tricks, he'd breeze through it...

How wrong they were.

I think to a certain degree they want it to retain that feeling of the average gamer playing it under his own power. You know, preserve the retro feel from back when these games were popular and before the internet. Much like back then, every so often he might get a "hint" from his "friends", but nothing that wasn't really common knowledge. I'm also not convinced the AD's knew about some of it themselves, since they also seem to only bring one or two common tricks to any game and seem to be missing other pieces (eg Tsuroka knowing about the Bony Bridge Warp in Bonk's Adventure, but not knowing how to pull it off until Toujima looked it up and found out how to float by spinning).

Still, things like using the shell 1up trick, missing the Top Secret Area, and not saving by re-completing previous castles/ghost houses killed me a little bit.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

TheGreenAvenger posted:

So young... Hey zari-gani do you know why Yoiko uses that obscure/obsolete wi hiragana character? Is there a joke there or is it just cos.

Speaking of which....

It gets me every time.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah, the game is running at a different framerate than the capture device. A great example is a character's post-hit invincibility making him look invisible, or when you point a video camera at an old computer monitor.

To be precise, the NES running on NTSC format normally ran at right around 60 frames per second. In most cases, television shows record at 30 frames per second. Since the most common way to cause the "flashing" effect was to simply have the sprite appear and disappear every alternate frame, the recording device only picks up one or the other state for the most part.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I should mention that I'm on board the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation team now.

I should mention that I more or less wet myself hearing that. That is some pretty exciting news. Here's hoping the rest of the work is done as well as we've come to expect. Also quickly.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I wonder why they took out all the story in the overseas release of this game... Kids must have been confused as to why you're a sentient Princess-rescuing slime.

I ended up far more confused by the absolute lack of story. "So wait, why am I a blob doing these things and going to the moon, apparently?" Quirk of localization, I guess.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

High definition 16:9 footage clocks in at about 16gb/hr if you're importing from an analog tape (I dunno about those fancy hard drive tapes). Personally, I more curious about whether they use tapes or hard drive capture cameras.

They were definitely using a tape-based media way back during Mega Man 3. That's about all I can say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Tewratomeh posted:

I liked how fiercely competitive both Abe and Kibe were in the electric car race. Abe especially seemed like he didn't want to be filmed losing any kind of race, even if it was just little toy cars.

The best was when Arino beat Abe at Cyber Cycles during the Fukuoka trip. Beating Abe at a motorcycle game on his home turf.... The awkwardness was palpable. (And Arino looked more than a little afraid of getting beat up.)