Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Can I just vote a massive 5 pre-emptively while I panic and struggle with all this JAPAN because I'm so helplessly afraid of using anything-oh hey look Youtube link.

....welp.

You've ruined my life, I'm never going to have time for creativity again. Thanks guys! Seriously this show is goddamn hilarious and anything you describe as "like Top Gear but with..." is going to be solid gold in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Man I have been watching these episodes and I am just obsessed with this stuff now. Arino is just hilarious and some of his staff are adorable :3:

Thanks for introducing me to all this guys, and extra thanks for the translation work you been doing!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I love how Arino still thinks that Hold Left and Press Start trick works on every NES game. Though to be fair I never even knew about that until he showed me in another episode.
Also 12 Celsius is nowhere near loving cold Arino :colbert: it's like 4 Celsius here if you're lucky but being winter it's down to around 1.

So I see that Yoshi's Island is the latest game that Game Center CX have done. I cannot WAIT for you guys to translate that one, that's gonna be FUN hopefully! Thanks so much for doing this guys, I got like two other people into this show already, it's just so fun to watch!

But I need to ask, why do so many Japanese games have English instructions AND letters for passwords in their games? Is the English alphabet that well-known amongst Japanese, or is it that distinct enough with each letter that it makes a great password system?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 27, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Japanese players understand enough that it can be used and it saves them on localization efforts. Of course this isn't true of every game. Really text heavy games like Dragon Quest used an all Japanese text password because they had to use Japanese characters anyway.
Makes sense, use Japanese if it's a dialogue-heavy game, use English if it's not to make it easy for the world to understand. Definitely saves a poo poo ton on localisation for the sake of a frigging password system.

Also, you are awesome, you. You and all your translating friends. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

bpc908 posted:

Well Arino sort of is the worst chief, he did lose all the crews money gambling in South Korea
I was really hoping at least one of them to go:
"Because YOUUUUUUUUUU have a gambling problem! :argh:"

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

jyrque posted:

:getin:

This is excellent news.
Wait what is? What's Captain Tsubasa? >>

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Wow you're part of this too Joek0? And here I thought you were just some guy uploading the raw versions on Youtube, cool!

zari-gani posted:

You mean TECMO CUP SOCCER GAME?!

Yeaaah I won't be doing that just yet. But one of them is Yoshi's Island to continue our trend of releasing high-demand challenges right away! The other two are popular titles too.
YES PLEASE YOSHI'S ISLAND!

...also Dynamite Headdy would be fun, hopefully!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

joek0 posted:

I upload the raws on YT because people on the SA Forums have asked for a place to watch them. Are there any raws from season 1, 13, 14, or 15 that you would like uploaded on my channel. I would love to put missing episodes up on YT, but YT and mt Internet connection are being finicky when doing uploads. I have all the raws from seasons 1-15. I have all of the raws from season 16 except for Yoshi's Island Part 2 on my channel already. I also have some of the raws from VC specials and the live challenges. Ask and I will see if I have the video. When I mention season 1 raws, I mean the full raw which includes the interviews and the challenge. The current subs for most of season 1 are challenges only subbed.

Also, Captain Tsubasa raw episode is on my YT channel.

YT GCCX Raws Playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL085808F22D35F9A4&feature=view_all
Sadly I have absolutely no knowledge of Japanese beyond six words (the latest being "ABUNAI!" thanks to this show), and my hard-of-hearing makes it more difficult to ask or watch any raw episodes. Thanks for asking though, you do some great work :D

Also Arino has a twitter?!?! :aaa:

Time to boot up Google Translaaaaate.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

He'll flip his poo poo and have an ultranationalist moment before spontaneously turning into Japanese Glenn Beck.
Oh christ I hope not, I can't enjoy Koichi Sugiyama as much as I used to after finding out he was kind of a dickish nationalist. :ohdear:

Then again, considering how ecstatic Arino was in the USA special, he's way too nice to be like that. :3:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

zari-gani posted:

FinalGamerJames: "I am a big GCCX fan from Scotland! I am in love with your show! The kind of perseverance you hold gives hope to all gamers! ^__^"
Arino: "Thank you. I once had a talk with the director of Scott Pilgrim."
That was me! Oh my god I dunno what he meant until now that's...silly, that's cool though! I didn't know he talked to Edgar Wright, even if he's not Scottish.
God I really hope Google Translate was good enough but since you translated it exactly how I wrote it zari-gani, I'm gonna say it was!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

He interviews the cast as part of the special features in the Japanese release of the DVD.
Awwwwww maaaaaan does anyone have that translated? I love when he's talking to foreigners, it's so strange and wonderful.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

OH MAAAAAN that was a fun episode. And STINGER AT THE END what the hell guys?!

...so are you guys going to do that NEXT EPISODE soon ooooorrrrrr...cuz dammit now I got all excited for it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ponzicar posted:

That second boss in Smart Ball looked like it was based on M.C. Escher's tessellations. I'm surprised they didn't figure out that the empty space created by the bird's wings formed the outline of the fish. Now I'm wishing there was an entire game based on M.C. Escher's art.
THAT'S what it was, THANK YOU, my god that was bothering me so much! I went and saw an exhibition of Escher in Spain once, I even SAW that painting.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is this a new narrator for the tamage segment?
Seems so, the previous narrator was Yuuko Takeda who was an announcer for Fuji TV. Now it's some other girl called Naoto Tashiro. I did read something on the maternity leave thing Takeda had so, yeah.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Guys, I think we're overlooking something important:

Why IS a jelly like a crow?
Both have an undying hatred and comprehend revenge, and they both feed upon the souls of humanity. :stare:

...or was that mudcrabs? Or was it slimes, dammit I'm not good with these!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

For the second time we've got an episode finished before the next episode of Game Center CX airs. Are you ready for the epic conclusion of Yoshi's Island?

And just as before, zari-gani translated this episode from her remote Dinosaur Island lair.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 825.54 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download
AWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Wow now to wait for the Youtube upload for those of us less tech-savvy! Sweet work guys! :haw:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Oh man, thank you guys. I wanted to watch this episode series since it got released like two weeks ago, haha. I'm happy y'all got right to it.

Though now, admittedly, I'm kind of disappointed--not in your work, no, but just how they don't really show many of the stages, just the goals and bosses. I wanted to see Arino's reaction to turning into a submarine and poo poo.
I was disappointed too, I really hoped they showed off more of the Yoshi-transformations because HOLY poo poo YOSHI TURNED INTO A GODDAMN TANK SO AWESOME.

But yeah that's my only gripe of the episode, the rest of it was awesome. The ending was super-tense stuff for me, I haven't been on the edge of my seat for Arino since Lemmings!
(Which I still am very thankful for whoever translated it as being a game from Scotland :3: )

Heti posted:

I was just rewatching an old episode (Feudal Lord's Ambition) and Arino walks right by an Incredible Crisis arcade machine. I keep bringing up that game because I want him to play it so bad.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :argh: gently caress THAT GAME

...that would be fun for them to do, they don't do very much Playstation games I notice. One game I WOULD love GCCX to play is Spyro the Dragon. I'd love to see them handling western games more.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

redmercer posted:

Is this the only show where the production crew get so much screen time?
Far as I can tell yes, it's pretty adorable how much the production crew get to be part of everything from writers to producers to the camera MAN~

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

I especially love how each member of the crew is painted with their own quirk on the show, like Nakayama's overbearing politeness and Camera man Abe's constant reminder of being part of a bike gang.

Oh and the fact that he has a theme song. :c00l:
Or Tanii being...creepy. Or...gay, wait what IS Tanii's deal anyway, I have to ask because there is SOMETHING they always have about him and I'm jut not sure WHAT.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Certainly hard to beat the amount of metal it had for battle themes. :rock:
Mystic Quest had the most badass three loving battle themes for the sheer VIGOUR they had. Seriously love those.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I honestly don't know how you can say that when FF5 exists.
As much as I love FFV, it's certainly the weakest of the SNES era since it only has the job-class system going for it. And pirates.
I think the Japanese love FFIV so much because of how classical it is, like the whole story is very reminiscent of a westernised Jidaichi thing so maybe they get really romantic about it for the parallels they might have between it and some old tales.
That's just me though, I have no idea.

univbee posted:

This is really interesting, I had no idea about this. It reminds me a lot of Kurosawa's Throne of Blood and its differences from Macbeth due to these cultural differences (e.g. "Macbeth" being killed in a duel at the end was seen as an honorable way to die in Japanese culture and had to be changed to his men turning on him, the ultimate disgrace, to have the same effect).
Wow really?! drat I had no idea, that's actually really fascinating to hear about Shakespeare in Japan and changes they have to make. Certainly makes me feel better about things we have to change from their works.
That also makes sense too since gently caress Macbeth you pussywhipped piece of shitfuck :argh:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

If I can just throw my hat into the ring, the episode I had the most fun with, were the quiz games. Mainly because it brings the entire cast together and I LOVED it.
Go By Train I never expected to enjoy, and it's one of my most-repeated episodes to watch. I can't remember an episode I DIDN'T enjoy really v:shobon:v though I remember not enjoying Layla very much.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So, just to point out, if it's Arino's birthday on the 25th, should we all like twitter him happy birthday or so? Just for starters :3:

Also, this is kind of a Japanese noob question but, what IS the difference between "domo" and "konichiwa"?
Cuz we all learn Konichiwa as the basic hello, but Arino always starts off with Domo. Is one like much more formal and polite than the other?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

redmercer posted:

I don't really have anything near a working knowledge, but I recall "konichiwa" is "good day", "konbanwa" is "good evening", and "domo" is "thank you". I'd interpret the "domo" as "thanks for tuning in!"
That makes a lot more sense, thanks! So what would be the difference between "domo" and "arigato" then? Is Arigato "thank you VERY MUCH" or so?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

That might change, actually! Sega's been holding polls to see who people want as DLC characters, and Segata Sanshiro has a fighting chance by the looks of it.
They already did actually, they made the votes for three DLC characters to be in Transformed and now they're making the decisions to bring them to the game.

...poor Ecco, nobody loves you :( actually, I would LOVE to see A GCCX challenge of Ecco the Dolphin, you think they'll ever do that?! It's a Western game, it's bizarre and difficult, it's perfect for Arino!

The White Dragon posted:

It's cool in concept, but Earthbound would be bad TV. Most of the game's charm is in its text, but most of the game is walking around and fighting dudes on psychadelic backdrops. It'd be very hard to cut together coherently.

Shigesato Itoi interview, though, I can see that, and I could totally go for that. Shigesato Itoi is a bro, I wanna get famous and smoke weed with him.
RPGs in general wouldn't make good TV. There's a reason why nobody LPs them in video, for the most part. It would be pretty boring even for Earthbound, plus the amount of time and editing it would take to FINISH the game compared to say, a platformer.
An interview with Shigesato Itoi however would rock. He's a totally cool dude, and I would love to see an interview with him in future.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Speaking of additional DVD footage, some people might get a kick out of the scene where Arino phones Nakayama in front of California State University (where he briefly studied).
Woah woah woah which video's that?! Is it uploaded on Youtube subbed?! I really love seeing how they handle non-Japanese things :3:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I'm gonna be honest. I was really disappointed that they skipped at least 1/5th of the game (including two of my FAVOURITE parts)...buuuut the Water Temple in part 1 made up for it nicely with classic Arino trickery/failure. And part 2 demonstrated exactly WHY they had to do that. Dammit Arino if you were better we would have had those :(

But overall it was alright. Pretty good stuff, thanks a lot for translating those guys! :D

What did the "king" mean by Rally Champ when he introduces Ganondorf?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 27, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

It's absolutely great, there's some minor references here and there with one major atmospheric borrowing, but it's basically a Pixar Movie made by Disney that happens to have a couple video game characters in it. I do, however, recall it having been very disappointing to certain vocal dickbags who went to the theater expecting it to be a memefest of nintendos, so you kinda have a point there.

To relate it to the thread, basically it's like how GCCX is about "a middle-aged man playing video games" rather than "video games being played by a middle aged man."
I don't understand those vocal dickbags because me and three guys who went were four vocal squealfans who giggled at every subtle thing, and laughed at every BIG thing.

...that movie was everything I ever wanted. :3: nothing is taking that from me.

So okay yeah I HAVE to hear Arino talk about Wreck-It Ralph NOW.

Obeast posted:

I guess it's not a big surprise since in the newest episode of GCCX (Space Hunter), Arino went to Disney's Japan HQ where he talked to some guy who worked there (I assume he's either a big-wig at Disney Japan or he was one of the head translators for the movie). He even got to play an actual Fix-It Felix cabinet that Disney sent out to different places to promote the movie.
:aaaaa:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

GidgetNomates posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with GCCX but I've always wanted to make a game where I name all the spells after foreign titles for The Young and The Restless.

I CAST FIRES OF LOVE. OH NO, THEY COUNTERED WITH WIND OF LIES!!!
This is already the best RPG idea ever, keep me posted on that. :haw:

"I SEND YOU TO THE ABYSS! SHADOWS OF THE PASSION!"

Also I have no idea what to say on all of GCCX, I just watch whatever you guys translate...most of it anyways :ohdear: you guys rock so much.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So, I just finally been downloading the original torrents in the first post, and sooooo glad I can do so now, loving all these episodes again.

But I notice some of the episodes are still not...well, uploaded in torrent, even ones I remember seeing uploaded on Youtube all subbed before FujiTV came down on them. Are you guys still making torrents to download more episodes you newly translate? :)

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So I just wanted to come back to this thread because hey, it's awesome to see you're all still translating and stuff. Also OH MY GOD YES CLOCK TOWER-wait no these are just segments...OH WELL :neckbeard: thanks for putting that up guys!

Anyways, I forgot to mention this but a month or so back, my home city of Dundee decided to put up a pretty neat thing! See, Dundee, Scotland is basically the birthplace of:

these little guys, built by a local sculptor who wanted to symbolise one of the great contributions to the world from this city.

So, just on a whim, I decided to tweet this pic to Chief Arino AND HE REPLIED!

quote:

@FinalGamerJames: 私はレミングスが作成されたダンディー、スコットランドの街で生まれ、つい最近、彼らは名誉それらに彫刻を作りました!

@arimorokoshi415: 凄い!それを建ててくれる土地柄も!

Loose Google Translate as:

@FinalGamerJames: Lemmings was created in my home city of Dundee, Scotland, so we recently built a sculpture to honour them! (link to above picture)

@arimorokoshi415: Amazing! Locality who built it too!

I think he enjoyed seeing more Lemmings appreciation finally :D

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 30, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Hey I was curious, recently Game Center CX did an appearance at the Niconico Chokaigi this year celebrating the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.

I only caught bits and pieces but basically Arino made his own stages in the Mario Bros. level editor thing they're plugging for WiiU, and he loving trolls the hell out of people with it brilliantly who try to play them. Something of a revenge for all the times he struggled on them.
Was anyone on the SAGCCX team planning to sub this entire thing in future? Cuz I was really hoping someone would ever since I heard about it.

I found a couple highlights in short videos if anyone really wanted to see it, but if you'd rather wanna watch the whole stream then the link's above on Youtube.

Arino VS. Shigeru Miyamoto

Arino Vs. the President of NicoVideo

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 27, 2015

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

univbee posted:

That's right. Ransom Stranger. Will only be released if the paid modding thi-oh it's resolved OK then.

Translated by zari-gani
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofed by Hirayuki

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=684014
Yesssssssssssss awwww thank you so much guys you rock! I really need to catch up on the latest episodes you did, been ages since I've powered down with the Kachou.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So, I haven't been back to this thread in practically a year and I wanted to ask, what with Nyaa.se now gone and all the old direct downloads pretty much taken down by Mega

Are there any plans to reupload any of the episodes in future? Or is the focus being put more on translating new episodes of GCCX?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

Next game has them "riding that train."
Oh god I hope it's that PS1 train game, that was one of my absolute favourite episodes how can a train conductor's life be so EXCITING?!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

This reminds me of that time Tanii had a very uh...cozy sleepover with one of the crew in some kinda saunahouse?

Was most delightful an experience, for at least one of them. :gay:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

You know you've made it big when there's a Hello Kitty Kacho plushie. :) that's adorable.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Awwww man I REALLY wanna redownload all the quiz episodes again, they were my favourites.

Is nyaa.si good to use? I am immensely distrustful of torrents but the mega.nz downloads are all pretty much gone completely.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

Today (September 16th) is Abe's birthday.

https://twitter.com/cam_abe
YEAAAAAH my fave dude on the team!

Oh drat I'm a little late, welp sending well-wishes anyway!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Good ones!
good, bad, you're the guys with the games. :haw:

Personally I just hope some kind soul will be able to re-upload direct DLs of the episodes on the site. I know there are torrents but I've had horrendous experiences with them and just do not ever trust them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

zari-gani posted:

The TGS version of the "Kibe-Zari" shirt (with HP bars).

https://twitter.com/gccx_official/status/904627807761850368
Is this a reference to a specific episode or was this just a really rad design that got made?