Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If I had confirmation that the seller would ship to Europe, I'd probably go for a bid race for that Arino figurine.

And regarding starting watching GCCX: I started last summer, and I mainly just picked the episodes that featured games I knew or liked (Battletoads, Mega Man, Actraiser) but later started watching them in mostly chronological order. Incidentally, the best episodes are often ones where you don't really know the game and it surprises you completely (like Bio Miracle or the various quiz games, which are awesome).

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rerez posted:

From what I have read it looks like almost all the episodes are games I am interested in. I will start from the beginning tonight.

What season is that?

Season 15, episodes 132 & 133. It's really one of the best episodes of the series in my opinion too.

If you watch the early season episodes, just remember that they were subbed by a different group, TV-Nihon (you can see who has subbed what on the front page) and have a lot of untranslated words and phrases whereas the SA subs are way more accessible to someone without too much knowledge of japanese (culture).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There's a NES version of Law of the West?? It's Japan only? Oh man! I played that one A LOT on C64 back in the day. It was one of the first games I ever played in a friend's house, I was like 5 or 6 at the time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

PureRok posted:

They mention that you get an increase to your max speed when you pick up coins. I've been playing Mario Kart since I was a little kid and never knew this. Is this actually true?

You get a speed boost for every coin you pick up. I'm not actually sure what's said here about increasing max speed, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm two minutes into the episode and I'm already cracking up to the intro with Inoue and Arino.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh man, I love these travel shows. They're so fun to watch.

Regarding the challenge part where the staff played vs. Arino, the final race with Inoue was again brilliant. Especially the part where Arino got caught in a pattern with the Whomps and Inoue proceeded to do a huge jump straight into nothingness. Those two have great chemistry together on-screen.

It was also funny how they danced around the concept of pirate games but didn't straight go and say what the deal was.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just about to go to bed and you tease me with the prospect of a new episode soon. Well, at least I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the translation! (It was a good call to prepare food for myself too before starting like Blackchamber recommended.) I love these travel segments. Is there any chance to get the Northernmost game trip in one full episode with SA subs?

I'm also not sure if they just waited for planes to appear so they could film that sketch or was it completely unscripted. Either way, it was funny.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks a lot for the OoT two-parter! From all the comments, I expected something worse, but I enjoyed it just fine. Lots of funny moments, plenty of Nakayama and exciting boss fights. I'm guessing people's complaints are because they skipped so much of the game and had the AD's play certain parts for him?

Next two-parter on my wish list is Mega Man 4. I don't see a lot of discussion about it despite it being a popular title, am I to assume that it's not a classic episode?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not too excited about Captain Tsubasa, but otherwise your list is intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

In Bio Miracle, I remember even less details, even though he actually beat that game. I think one of the ADs got him a cake.

Highligh of this episode was him singing along the disk system loading tune. "Gee-emu sentaa shii-ekkusu kachoo. On!" And of course Inoko MAX holding the monitor upside down.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What's the deal with GamingCX anyway? Is it someone you guys know?

And thanks a LOT for your latest onslaught of GCCX episodes. It's made this week fly by so fast! Can't seriously wait to watch Mega Man 4.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, that's what I gathered as well. It seems like a site for people who are happy to enjoy the hard work by others without giving anything back for it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm saddened because I want the message of GCCX and Arino to be about happiness and good times but I can't enjoy good times now that I know people are being bungholes and stealing others' work. :( Maybe the MM4 episode will cheer me up.

Arino using his basic tactics again, ramming headfirst into mega man bosses and taking huge damage. "He's hitting me." How did he have 7 E-Tanks after Toad Man stage?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 1, 2013

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah they aren't like us members of SA that enjoy their hard work but actually give back by... hmm...

I'd assume many of us have at least bought the DVD. (and paid for the forum registration, but that's a different ballgame)

Yes, I know the whole subbing is a grey area in the first place. I dunno, maybe it's a personal thing for me, since I'm a photographer and my work gets often copied quite dubiously without credit and even used without permissions asked.

edit: And if RS & the team are cool with it, I'm gonna shut my big mouth too.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 1, 2013

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

About Mega Man 4 challenge:

I never knew that there was an E-Tank there at the start of Cossack stage one. I played that game over and over as a kid and still play it every now and then.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lots of thanks for your hard work lately. It's been a great few weeks with Arino & Friends. One thing that always amuses me in Mega Man challenges is how Arino always thinks the game will end after defeating the robot masters. Or he just might be acting it up, either way, it's hilarious. Also, the traditional Mega Man extra levels (like the last Wily stage in MM3 and the whole another Wily castle here) also make me laugh to see how he reacts to those. ("Wily, you suck...")

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Panties from a crane game again. And Arino cheerfully stuffing them in his pockets. And Tanii. I don't know which was the weirdest.

Thanks for the release though. I don't know why, but I always enjoy Waste of color segments a lot. In fact, I like every segment which has Arino and Kibe just chatting about games, they seem to have great chemistry together.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I would love for Arino to challenge Duck Tales, but would it be a bit too short and/or easy? Another good choice would be Aladdin, which is one of my favourite SNES Disney games.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That store that sells unopened games for the original price.... Dear me, I'd walk away with my hands and bags full of stuff. Maybe that's why the store owner said he was annoyed with people advertising his store. I was totally feeling like Kibe was, like a kid in a candy store.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna wait and see what's actually gonna be featured on GCCX Netflix before making judgment. But more exposure in the western market surely can't be a bad thing? It might lead to a second DVD, hell, even another Kacho in USA - episode.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As long as we're talking about dubbed Japanese shows, I'd always wondered what it would be like to watch Iron Chef with subtitles instead of the dub. (do they female guests really giggle as much in the actual show too?) I love that show and I have a huge library of episodes on my HD but I can't help but wonder how much is lost in the dubbing process.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm actually not that well versed on Earthbound as some people here seem to be. I only started to check it out after I realized how rare and sought after game it was and played it a little bit. Even the cheapest cart-only version costs around 170 € on eBay, so I guess I'll pick up that emulator again...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Looks like the Last Continue GCCX guys have already released the Earthbound special. With translation by Tomato, even.

Oh god please don't let this turn into one of those dumb sub group wars.

I don't mind if someone else wants to translate. I will wait for SA subs, but I don't see why there should be a "war" over subbing stuff. Or am I missing something crucial about sub group mentality?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, only debate so far I've seen is the SA / TV Nihon one. I'm sure it's been talked endlessly, so I'll just say that I agree 100% with the SA-GCCX idea of accessibility. I simply don't like words, phrases and titles left untranslated, be it TV, manga or anime translation. (who thought it would be a good idea to start adding -chan - suffixes all of a sudden to english Yotsuba volumes, drat it?)

One of the funniest comments (regarding TVN mistranslations) was when someone said they will be sorely disappointed if the line "Abe-san, scold me!" from Northern travelogue show was really something entirely different.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Can't wait to watch this episode! Thanks for your hard work. I'll seed for a good while until everyone has gotten theirs.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

First time I ever saw AD Matsumura. That scene was really funny, too.

And I think this special pretty much guaranteed for me that I will pick Earthbound and finish my playthrough.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

On that note, I've been thinking of cutting together a montage of the crew eating something. It always makes me hungry to see them enjoy the local delicacies in their arcade or travel segments plus it always leads to funny dialogue.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the interview segment. Funny reactions on the hosts on Arino's popularity.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Great segment. I love how people are mystified by his popularity overseas.

I was kind of wondering are they really that mystified or just hamming it up for TV. Especially that middle guy seemed like his whole schtick is to shout and yell loudly. I mean, surely they do some research on what to talk about with their guests?

But I did love the old guy looking puzzled the whole time going "I have no idea what you're talking about."

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What about the masters of culinary arts, Hiroyuki Sakai and Rokusaburo Michiba?!?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been meaning to ask this: does anyone know what's the BGM music used sometimes in the show when Arino is having a tough time? It pops up from time to time but I can at least give you one example - in Donkey Kong Country part 1 (episode 075), it starts at 28:26. It's an intro to a song, but which one?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, that LoTR thing was funny from the get-go, but the elvish part dropped me completely.

Maybe it's according to fansub keikaku, I dunno.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Since this seems to have also turned into a "translation discussion" thread, what's your perspective on this, thread?

I'd say that guy embodies everything that's wrong with fansub mentality, as discussed earlier on this thread.

It is a good manga though. Haven't seen the anime.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 7, 2013

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Wasn't that the whole point of Takeshi's Challenge? It was made by Beat Takeshi himself as a parody of timewaster video games. Maybe a bit too meta for that era, but considering that lovely "hah! hah! hah! VIDEO GAMES" games are popular today, I'm sure it would've been hailed as a masterpiece of the 2010s decade.

I always laugh my rear end off at that kinda stuff, but then, I'm also basically stilly twelve.

It's usually funny, but some jokes like "You're prettier / I lied!" make me cringe. I get mad for the female announcers and guests for bashing Nakayama, too...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gussun Oyoyo goes right up there with Umihara Kawase and Bio Miracle on the list of strange japanese games I might need to import. (I still don't have any modern consoles so no virtual shops for me.) Seriously, it looked like a really fun game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I know, but I consider Wii a modern console. Maybe it'll come out for the Super Nintendo virtual shop someday.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for yet another new episode!

Echoing the conversation from the previous page, Mr. Gimmick has been on my wanted-list for a long time too, but it's simply too rare for me to buy at present time. (only ever got released in Japan and Scandinavia, which makes it a huge valued item among the local Finnish NES collectors.) I think there are repro's but they aren't available anymore and also very expensive.

It's a very good game though, played it on an emulator a few times. I think Arino will be able to clear it, but it won't be easy

[edit] The Sunsoft NES games have the best music. Gimmick, Batman, Blaster Master and especially Journey to Silius.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 10, 2013

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I was expecting age and location choices as well.

One of my personal favourites is Takeshi's castle. I always enjoy watching out-of-shape Arino struggle with the power pad. Wasn't Battletoads missing from that list or have I just gone blind? But those two and Tokimeki memorial are my top 3, Tokimeki has a lot of memorable lines and Arino's romance tips. "Isn't her chin sticking out a bit?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, Battletoads challenge is so loved that maybe it's a given it would take the top spot, so it's only fair to give other games a chance too...

That 17th season opener looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to watch it. Hopefully they will release that soundtrack so us non-Japan GCCX fans have a chance of legit buying it, because that's something I know I will want to have.

Also, best 5 dollars I've ever spent.