Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

KimT posted:

I liked the Balloon Fight challenge but man it's kinda frustrating to watch. I'm not a Balloon Fight god or anything but I bought it on VC afterwards and it took me three attempts to get the balloons to change colour twice. It reminded me of the end of the Super Mario World challenge where he dies like 100+ times on a really simple boss. Sometimes it's just kinda hard to believe that he's really that bad at games.

It's even harder to watch when he can have so much fun with Battletoads and takes it with relative ease, but Bowser and the Magikoopa completely own his soul for a few hours each.

But if this wasn't the case I wouldn't be watching Arino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
So gently caress all this typo and subs talk for a bit and peep this: not once did it occur to Arino to tongue Baby Mario out of the air. :v:

I don't know if it's just me but when I first played this game my first instinct was to test out all the game mechanics in any way my curious little mind could think to do. Granted he did figure out you could shoot him out of the sky with eggs sooner than I did, but I think that was in a help box anyway. Well whatever, any game where Arino faces off against his nemesis Bowser is a welcome episode and I'm glad this was subbed as quickly as it was.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

FinalGamer posted:

Far as I can tell yes, it's pretty adorable how much the production crew get to be part of everything from writers to producers to the camera MAN~

I especially love how each member of the crew is painted with their own quirk on the show, like Nakayama's overbearing politeness and Camera man Abe's constant reminder of being part of a bike gang.

Oh and the fact that he has a theme song. :c00l:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Mace Bacon posted:

I'm not done with the episode, but I'm loving it so much! The trip to the game shop was a great highlight, especially with The owner breaking her own game disc and the 9999999 In 1 Cart. I'm amazed they were allowed to show off pirated merch, though.

"Bandicoot is finished. Finished with a crash."

I loving love Kibe. :3:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Andorra posted:

Everyone I've ever seen stream a game is really bad, but I think it's mostly because they're focusing on saying things rather than playing which I think might explain Arino's problem with games. After all, the purpose of the show is entertainment, not to show off skill.

Who the hell are you watching?

Twitch is full of speedrunners and fighting game enthusiasts who all put hours into their craft, not to mention Ulillillia who at this very moment is streaming himself grinding in Final Fantasy. :v:

Back to Arino, though, I think the biggest "problem" is he doesn't really commit to his actions, this is probably the most evident in Mario games where you will always see him die to little things like sliding off the platform or bumping into enemies. He'll run and jump somewhere but rather than keep going he'll hold back and maybe miss the jump, or land directly in front of the enemy, that little moment of hesitation is all it takes to rack up the Game Overs.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Katana Gomai posted:

I honestly can't think of a more boring thing than watching a person I don't know play a game over the internet. The whole streaming trend just eludes me, games are meant to be played, not watched.

What the gently caress?

Have you never been to a friend's house when you were younger and just enjoyed video games? Watching someone play a game is just as natural as playing it yourself. Putting such a strict rule on it is silly, games more than anything are for entertainment (fun) which can be had in all types of ways.

There's different reasons why people watch these streams, sometimes it's to watch someone being competent at their professions, sometimes the game is funner to watch because you're not too good yourself, other times the personality you're watching is what you're there for. I normally wouldn't mind so much but it's baffling since you're here in the GCCX thread of all places saying this.

Son Ryo posted:

Okay, hold on, watching someone playing a game in person is completely different from watching a stream. It's totally impersonal, even if there's a chat, and it only increases with the number of people watching.

Yes, you're much farther removed when watching a stream obviously, held together only by an internet connection and an incomprehensible chat. My point is that being the spectator isn't something so outlandish as to "elude" anyone, a lot can be gleaned from taking your hands off the controller and observing someone else.

edit: Basically I'm defending Let's Play is what's happening here.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 16, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Was that crane game playing Sonic music the whole time? That island looks beautiful by the way.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Watanabe is always great fun, though I wonder if any of the staff ever feels bad about Arino's insistence on jokes about her weight. She seems to take it all in stride, though that just may be due to Japanese culture and how it handles the female gender.

Also big ups on those haikus. :allears:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
This thread is spoiled with all these recent releases.

I'm glad for it, I can't think of a happier show to watch than this one, thanks for all this, SAGCCX. :allears:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm beginning to suspect that the staff is trolling Arino. First they cut him off right as he was about to do his favorite part of Ocarina of Time, then skipped over it while he was gone. Then they make him grovel through the transcripts of Mega Man IV to find the correct boss order. Now they make him play a bit of Tower of Babel right after Mega Man IV, then force him to wait a month before continuing, not only screwing up his memory of the game but denying him enough time to finish it. Stop taking away his fun, you guys! :argh:

They must be, if there's any indication that they are it's the doodle journal they show him right after he comes back.

"Well first I enjoyed some horseback archery. :v:"

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I'm curious about something, those dances he does in the beginning of certain segments, is he parodying something? Is it just some silly thing he does everytime that everyone laughs at? I always thought it was a reference to some silly pop group dance or something.

Notably the dances in the Game & Watch and Aces of Hardware segments.

edit: Also I'm just now noticing the Disney music used for the G&W segments. :allears:

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 5, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

World of Illusion even has co-op!

Make it happen, I want to see what kind of nonsense they can get into with some of the co-op levels. I remember the game being pretty tough to play all the way through in one go, co-op being more so. :getin:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

kirbysuperstar posted:

Matsumura: You don't have to say a word.
Arino: I didn't say anything.
Matsumura: Mothers understand these things.

I just about lost it. That's great.

Yeah, that bit was pretty great. I wonder if they still would've brought in his favorite food if it was something unconventional and out of the way?

Who am I kidding of course they would have.

Anyway, it's good to see this game got Arino's attention beyond the short exhibition that is the Nintendo Channel episode. I wonder if he'll actually play it through like he said and what he'll think about the ending, the world may never know. :iiam:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Drakkel posted:

I've found that Chinese takeout goes well with some GCCX!

I just had some while watching the fishing episode, slap me five. :hf:

I really liked this episode by the way, it seems like a really chill game and I'd love to play it.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

makere posted:

Well, I opened up the facebook vote, and it was Abe at 290 and Arino at 238...

I like how they keep referencing Abe's past of being a delinquent, when he is nearly 50yrs old.

That and how they insist on putting him atop any and every motorcycle they come across. Frankly I'm surprised he didn't go riding with Toujima and Tani in that one special. Still, if it means he gets his own theme song then more power to him. :c00l:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Xik posted:

I just watched Legend of the River King 2 and I can't decide if it looks like a fun game or not. I mean, parts of it do look fun, but the fishing also looks like it would get incredibly dull and boring real fast.

The visuals look cute and the idea of looking for bait, upgrading fishing gear and entering fishing competitions in an RPG setting seems pretty solid. On the other hand, how many times did they mention the word "dull" in the episode? There was also that moment where it shows Arino with his hands behind his back chilling and "playing" the game, that doesn't instill much confidence.

It's a fishing simulation man, so imagine the slow-paced atmosphere of fishing increased by another degree by making into an RPG where you grind for resources.

I think they got the right idea for it, I wouldn't have expected it to play out any other way; it seems like a nice way to unwind and spend an afternoon, so long as you're not on a time limit like Arino. I'd totally play it on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

bpc908 posted:

Am the only one who absolutely loathes Watanabe.

Yes and you're a horrible person for it. :colbert:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I'm grateful there's such a consistent outpouring of work from this team, just as my well of episodes on queue runs dry a whole slew more is ready to be watched when I check back here, thank you all for your efforts.

AzraelDarkheart posted:

No problem at all. I was just reading the Japanese for practice using your translation as a guide.

Also, OMG SEMPAI NOTICED ME. :3

God, I almost feel like shooting myself for saying that. XD

Please do.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

AzraelDarkheart posted:

I wasn't "jumping on little mistakes". I asked a legitimate question because I was doing my best to read the article myself. And I didn't point anything out about the show.

And wtf is with this new avatar and text I have, and how the hell do I turn it off?

Shut up already. Don't reply unless it's got something to do with the actual thread topic you loving goof.

That troll message made me curious about something, has there been an instance on the show where Arino was genuinely angry about something? I imagine that comment didn't faze him since he's a comedian and they deal with poo poo like that on the regular, but games are different when it's only you that's to blame. I mean the most I ever see him in is a state of frustration, but he alleviates that with jokes and laughs so it's no big deal. Sometimes the frustration becomes so tangible I start to feel it myself, that game over hell he experienced in Super Mario World comes to mind. Maybe he's just too amiable to approach anywhere near "rage" as you so often see on the internet? Maybe he's just too old (maturity is questionable) for that poo poo? I wonder what kind of game it would take to bring out something like that in him?

edit: Ah right, that splat thing, I remember seeing that on the fanart.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 10, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I think the real problem is that almost every single person in this thread who isn't a part of the translation team is extremely hostile and willing to attack anyone and everyone at the drop of a hat.

I think bpc908 can attest to that.

AzraelDarkheart posted:

On a different topic, does anyone have links to some decent GCCX avatars? I'm finally ready to get rid of mine.

I think most people make their own, I think that's what Mister Chief did and that one looks sick.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 26, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Katana Gomai posted:

Thanks for releasing it so quickly, I don't like watching GCCX cliffhangers so I had to wait! :shobon:

Man I hardly ever comment on custom titles but can't you do something about yours?

He already had, actually, I believe this is the second time it's been changed in a very short amount of time.

Anyway thank you for the quick two-parter, I now have something to watch before I doze off and shortly I will have something to enjoy tomorrow morning, nothing like some GCCX to set the mood for a good day.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Fooley posted:

Speaking of cheat devices, which episode had him buy the slow-mo thing that plugged into the Famicom, which was really just a turbo pause button?

I know what you're talking about but I don't know the episode, that was hilarious though. I love whenever Kibe or someone brings in some silly gadget and Arino gives it a try, like when they played with ROB and Arino just said bump that and started doing it himself while Kibe panicked as they had already broken one before. Or when they tried out those weird bootleg NES games and one of them was just some character dancing to some 8-bit songs over and over.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Those mystery games he plays loving baffle me. How in the hell did he call a hang-glider being used to drop off the body? Why the hell is that even a thing? :psyduck:

Still, it's always fun to watch him sleuth around, he's good at these. And then you watch him jog in place on a dancepad in running shorts with a towel wrapped around his head, this show is magical.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Zain posted:

Weird question: With most the convenience stores Arino goes to for the arcade trips. Is it more common for them to be mom and pop places? Assuming one considers them convenience stores.

If they're rather small than yes, I think. Lots of times the narrator mentions it being a popular place from decades back for children and the like, a candy store that's been around for years, etc.

The other places he goes to, actual establishments like arcades with batting cages and such most likely aren't.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
They played quite a bit of Clementine in the Paris special. :3:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

bpc908 posted:

What do you guys think is the best Tamage segment? I'm putting the video together for my panel and want to show off the tamage segment.

I honestly have no idea what episode it was so good luck finding it, but the one with the shop owner whose voice would crack and go high pitch at the end of his sentences.

Arino made a joke about how the arcade cabinets were all unusually loud and then he heard the owner speak and made a joke about that too. Also anyone where he tries out batting cages. I feel I should know/suggest more since the tamage segments are my favorite bar none, but I just like them all.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
When he tricked the entire room with the Sonic the Hedgehog demo section.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Does someone have that screenshot where he's talking about time running out, and how it's a scary concept when applied to real life, and then he laughs.

That one owns.

edit: Good looking out.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 22, 2014

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I think it's especially funny when the ADs think of some trick to help him out but it ends up being a total crapshoot; during the Yellow Devil bossfight when Takahashi helps him get a pattern for jumping by shouting jump, and they can't get in sync at all. I'm sure Nakayama has done something like that too, or someone else during another game, these ideas never seem to work but it's funny anyway.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Cemetry Gator posted:

I forget what episode it is in, but one of the specials starts off with some people saying "Where's Arino" as a scripted gag.

Except I guess the one AD forgot they were filming, because he pointed to the whiteboard Arino was hiding behind and said "He's right here." Thus ruining what would have been a wonderful gag with an even better one.

And of course it was Nakayama.

Even Abe was in on the joke. Nakayama is unintentionally hilarious, I wonder if anything in his life has ever not been awkward and stilted as hell.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Blackchamber posted:

Wow. I played a lot of ZamN with my best friend and while its not my favorite game, you couldn't be more wrong. Especially about the music. I heard there was a genesis version and maybe that one is crappy but the snes game is a gem.

Now my brain is playing a bunch of sound effects and music from the game.

You might be alone on this. You should be alone on this.

Genesis games had better sound than their SNES counterparts. Also the HUD was different, uh I think that may be it.

It's a fun game and it has co-op so I think it would be a great challenge.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Requesting name change to Kibe, tia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYUVRSbjehA

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Hell yeah this game owns.

Thanks.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

NmareBfly posted:

Is there a chance of there ever being an Ecco the Dolphin challenge? Did it come out in Japan?

Christ, imagine the game over hell that would be the last level. Until Kibe or whoever feels sorry for him and tells him the password outright: NNNNNNNNN

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
To be fair Yoshi's Island is the best Nintendo game ever made.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

I don't really like the games though.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I think these were in the past 2 years but definitely watch Parappa the Rapper and Legend of the River King 2.

They're both really good for different reasons, you could probably guess why Parappa would be fun, River King on the other hand is really relaxing and just pleasant all around.

Don't watch DKC2 though (jesus christ 3 parts)

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
It's Metal Wolf Chaos

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Do you think SOTN would be too long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
But he'll probably just get the bad ending anyway which is par for the course.

Maybe Tomba would be a good pick.