Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

rdbbb posted:

^ Thank god this show doesn't do Dynasty Warriors games.

The Konami episode from season 1 has a lengthy feature on the Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer series, which is the biggest mess of games renamed for other regions there ever was.

(also, I bought an account solely for the purpose of easily following this thread. Love you guys' work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

zari-gani posted:

I wish I knew how to download videos from Pideo because this will probably be deleted in a week.

http://wantyoutube.com/

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

FF5 is an exception to this because it took the ball and ran with it.

I believe the plug got pulled on FF5's original localization after an initial rough translation had been done, but before it had been properly edited into something readable. When they later decided to release it in English on the Playstation, they just used the old translation they still had lying around, most likely without looking too closely at it. So basically, a rough draft was mistaken for, and published as, a finished translation.

That's why it was so bad, and why the retranslation done for the GBA release was so much better. Not because of any ball-taking, but because this time around they actually had people sit down and finish the drat translation before releasing it

Adamant fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 23, 2013

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

I think he meant the GBA re-release of 5, which pretty much intentionally made it goofier from what I've heard.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Square were working on an English release of FF5 for the SNES, but the plans got dropped while the translation was still in the "rough and unedited" phase. When they later decided to release the game in English for the PSX, they just took this rough and unedited translation they had lying around from back then, slapped it on the game, and called it a day. The result was not pretty.

When the Final Fantasy games were to be rereleased for the GBA, they got all-new translations to go with them. FF4 and FF6, which already had decent translations, got somewhat criticized for getting a translation that lacked the soul of the old one. FF5, however, got properly translated for the first time ever, and this new translation understandably was far better received than the FF4 and FF6 ones.

What happened wasn't that the new FF5 translation was handled differently than the new FF4 and FF6 ones, but that FF5 got its first good translation ever, while FF4 and FF6 got some not-particularly-necessary retranslations that felt kind of lackluster in comparison to the old SNES ones.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

mato posted:

I definitely agree with you for the most part, but there are a few rare instances where a retranslation was better than the original. The Breath of Fire II retranslation comes to mind, for example, but the original was such a mess that any retranslation would've been an improvement :cheeky:

In that case the original translation was the painfully literal one, while the fan retranslation took liberties for the sake of readability and enjoyment, though. It was beautifully done.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

Game: What's the coolest thing?
Arino: Unicycles.

Arino. :allears:

I half expected him to write SEX.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Spelunker has a reputation but don't think it's half bad as a platformer that pre-dates Mario by about three years.

The NES port of the game is pretty sloppy. Most of the "reputation" Spelunker has comes from people who think that's the only version of the game that exists.

The fact that it's a bad port of a much better game makes "It predates Mario by 3 years" a pretty poor defense, though. The NES game could, and should, have been better, and WAS indeed better on the other platforms it appeared on.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know. The complaints I hear aren't about the quality of the port but are instead fundamental design things from people who don't really get the state of platforming games in 1982.

The main complaint is that the main character dies from falling just a few millimeters, a "design thing" that was added to the NES port. The level design was also revamped quite a bit, and the annoyingness of the bat enemies was upped to the nth degree.

So yeah, I'd say it's the NES port at fault. Try out the C64 port someday, you'll find it an immensely more playable game.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

univbee posted:

If I recall correctly, the original game was higher than it was wide, like a screen tilted on its side, and the NES port compressed it vertically while not adjusting the height of the player; so what was a lot more clearly a deadly vertical drop originally was way shorter in the NES version without actually changing the "it kills you" part.

No, it was changed. In the NES port you can't even fall your own character's height, while in the other versions you could fall quite far without dying. It's true that the height of everything was compressed a bit, but things like jumping off ropes to high platforms and not dying from the fall is WAY more twitchy in the NES port. You'll die a lot from failing at things that would be extremely easy to do in the other versions.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

MediaPlayerClassic posted:

Just had a scary thought. What if it was, for the 25th Anniversary, the Roger Rabbit FDS game?

...or, as we know it in America, Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle?

I'd be in for that. It's a fun game, and it has lots of places for Arino to struggle, while also being a tactical puzzle game, which he tends to excel at.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Xevious was a massively influential game that pretty much created the top-down shooter genre, and its (Japanese) popularity is what caused the genre to take off in the first place.
So yeah, it was an incredibly important and popular game - pretty much the Super Mario Bros of shooters.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I was gonna say Sonic Adventure but the biggest problem with that poo poo is that it was mandatory.

I thought that one was pretty fun. While the learning curve for getting good fish is kinda steep, the requirements for story mode are very simple and can be completed in no time.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

Suzuki and Nomo are baseball players, the rest are actors of various stripes.

Is it wrong that I only know of Nomo because he was referenced in a Japanese Pokemon episode once?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Aurain posted:

I'm not really versed well on Japanese TV outside GCCX and Downtown related stuff, so the subtitles they have baked in on the shows are a common thing? Is there a specific reasons, like to clarify between the Japanese dialects or is it for the sake of clarity? I know that much of the time it's supplementary information like telling you which game they're playing, so that makes sense.

It's extremely common in variety shows, both for making it easier to follow what's being said (a lot of these shows often have a bunch of comedians essentially competing in making the snappiest comments, so there's often a lot of overlapping dialogue - this is where color coded subs are handy), and also to call specific attention to certain lines, either because they're important key lines, or because they're funny jokes they want to make sure the audience registered.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Should be mentioned that there's a lot of "we do it because that's just the kind of thing you do" mentality involved, though. They tend to subtitle important and funny lines on a constant basis, no matter whether or not it seems particularly necessary or helpful to the audience. It's become that sort of thing you just do when you make this type of show, and all your viewers will be expecting you to do it.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Nickoten posted:

Holy poo poo, this is actually a thing? Do you have a link to an example? That sounds really weird and really time-consuming to do for no real reason.

Kaizoku Fansubs' groan-tastic One Piece subs did it for attack names/catchphrases a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFu9lh37X34&t=0m53s

Adamant fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 4, 2013

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Hey, if you're still giving out swapnotes, my code is 1633-4415-2668.

When was the letter from Arino sent, again? I have a Japanese 3DS, but but didn't download Swapnote until last June... did I miss out on a lot of other cool stationary too?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

That video was interesting but he does contradict himself with regard to translating onscreen text. If the text is onscreen then it was intended to be read by the original viewer and if was intended to be read by the original viewer than translating it is part of making a seamless experience. And if you're attempting to make a seamless experience then integrating the translated text into the visual is a reasonable approach, especially if you're trying to avoid cluttering the screen too much.

He's been called out on that about a million times, and has replied that what he meant was that he was opposed to the integration of text translation in the video that makes it look like part of the actual art (and the use of embarrassingly bad-looking effects, like that example with the passport), not that he was opposed to the translation of onscreen text.

It's very badly worded in the video, but that's what he intended to say. Important onscreen text you were meant to read should be translated, but as unobstructive and easily readable subtitles, not by drawing all over the original art.
I can kinda see his point when it comes to some of the examples shown, but for the most part I don't think it's anywhere near as much of an issue as he claims.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

PopeCrunch posted:

Add me back dude, 0748 2017 5632

Added (and sent over a letter with a Japan-exclusive stationary, in case you didn't have it)

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

NBHS posted:

Not to mention a number of anime from a few years back where constantly-changing text on blackboards, usually just throwaway cultural references or other stupid gags, was actually a feature. (Zetsubou-sensei, Pani Poni Dash, etc.)

Those were all gags Japanese viewers would have to pause a recording of the episode to catch anyway. The correct way to handle stuff like that would be liner notes on a website or included document, so those who care can look them up without tons and tons of impossible-to-read subtitles getting in the way while you watch the actual episode.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Aurain posted:

Not a film of course, but the American and English versions of Ape Escape have different voice acting.

So did the second and third Gex games. The original American versions have Gex played by Dana Gould in all three games, though in the European versions, Gould was only kept in the first game, with Gex being played by Leslie Phillips in the second game and Danny John-Jules in Gex 3.

Comparison of the intro sequence from Gex 2:

Gould:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LVclCjx4k
Phillips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBi0aHwgFc8

(Gotta say I strongly prefer Phillips)

Adamant fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 7, 2013

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Kan's bloodlust knows no bounds! As if watching Arino suffer Quest of Ki live in front of the entire nation wasnt enough, this time he must face his old arch nemesis Beat Takeshi. Arino must defeat the "classic" "game" Takeshi's Challenge in this two hour live re-match special. This Zari-gani translation was proofread by the new Hirayuki, making sure the words are made up of the correct letters.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 1.08 GB)
View torrent stats

http://depositfiles.com/files/2outui9le

This was one of my most wanted episodes. I love you guys so much.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I lost it at this point. Inoue was brilliant in this episode.

Actually, I've been wondering - is there somewhere I can download raws of the Quest of Ki and Pilotwings live specials? I have the Lemmings one, but I've been having trouble locating these two.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

redmercer posted:

Great job on Takeshi, actually seeing it live kind of shows how it wasn't all THAT bad a game, especially for 1986.

The video really doesn't display all that well just how ridiculous the game is. There's an insane amount of stores and services in the first city, most of which cost money, and there's absolutely zero indication which of them are going to have some sort of positive effect, or even what you're supposed to be trying to do in the first place. You just have to walk around and try random poo poo, noting down if something happens (thankfully items that serve a purpose show up in your inventory when you get them, and items that don't... well, don't. Helps narrowing down your choices a bit).

I'd actually be interested in a detailed guide that explains what the different things and options do, and what events trigger what. I know it's possible to buy the treasure map in the book store, but I have no clue if it's possible to beat the game by doing that. All the guides I've seen have been incredibly straight-forward "do this, then this, then this" solutions.

PopeCrunch posted:

Sorry for delay, sent a pile to you :)

Got 'em, thanks.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Adamant posted:

I'd actually be interested in a detailed guide that explains what the different things and options do, and what events trigger what. I know it's possible to buy the treasure map in the book store, but I have no clue if it's possible to beat the game by doing that. All the guides I've seen have been incredibly straight-forward "do this, then this, then this" solutions.

I actually did find a guide here.

So for those who want to understand just how unfair and dickish Takeshi's Challenge is, here's a description of the first city, and how to pass it:

1) First, there's the two buildings where you can get money - your workplace and the bank. These were shown in the episode:
*In the workplace, you get 200000 yen from talking to the boss, 500000 yen from taking to the boss again and quitting your job, and there's a secret stash of 100000 yen hidden in the first room. Asking for a leave or a paid vacation will result in you NOT getting the 500000 from quitting your job.
*In the bank, you get 50000 yen from making a withdrawal.
(All this is pretty simple to figure out with a bit of trial and error save for the secret money stash, which you don't actually need)

2) Next, there's the stores, where you can get items by buying things. This includes the three non-karaoke bars. There are 8 stores in total, selling a total of 59 items. 12 of these will show up in your inventory when you buy them (hangglider certificate, scuba certificate, balloon certificate, ballroom dance diploma, breakdance diploma, airplane license, ship license and the 5 different airplane tickets you can buy). One of the items (tequila from Bar Gold) heals you a bit when you buy it. One of the item is a fake treasure map that shows you a screen similar to the real one, this one appears important but has no actual effect.

3) The pachinko parlor. 6 more items to buy with your balls here, 2 of which will show up in your inventory (the shamisen and the shakuhachi). Oh, and that "trick" they show to get 5000 balls right away? You HAVE to use it. If you just play normally (it's very easy to win, actually) you'll be asked to stop once you reach 3800 balls. The shamisen is 4000. Balls do not stack between tries. This game is a dick. (though thankfully the shamisen isn't actually required, it just makes things easier. Not sure how)

4) The karaoke bar. Unlike the other stores, this lets you "buy a new glass" after you drink one, which at least hints towards this possibly having an effect if you experiment a bit.
*Drink 5 glasses to get sent home. Your wife will ask you what you want now, with 5 options. Choosing anything but the divorce option will just make you leave as normal, and you need to repeat the drinking to get the question again. Asking for the divorce and then paying up when asked will get you the divorce papers in the inventory, which will at least hint towards that being necessary.
*Drink two glasses to be asked to sing karaoke. Only four songs can actually be sung - it doesn't matter which of them you choose, but the Shinkaichi one is easier to get a "good" on. Get 3 "good" in a row to make the yakuza appear, choose to fight them to make them fight, stay on the screen for a bit for the old man to appear, etc etc, you saw this in the video. You need to kill the old man to keep the map afterwards. Note that it doesn't show up in your inventory, though.

5) Finally, there's the airport, where you will take a plane if you have one of the five tickets in your inventory. If you have both the Southern Islands ticket and have killed the old man for the map, you will get to the next area, otherwise the plane will explode for no given reason and you'll get an instant game over.

This was only the first area of the game. Remember there are no hints towards ANY of this stuff, it's all about trying random stuff until you stumble over things that seem like they may be important.
Sounds fun yet?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

redmercer posted:

Were you playing games in the days of Sierra adventure games? I'm becoming convinced "Beat Takahashi" is just Japanese for "Roberta Williams"

I was, but I don't think it's all that close a comparison.

Most of the stuff you have to do isn't all that hard to figure out with a bit of trial and error - the karaoke bar is the only store that prompts you to buy another of the same item up to five times, so you'd logically experiment a bit to see what happens when you say no after this and that many drinks. The karaoke is involving enough to obviously be important, finding the one song of the four that's easy to win at isn't that hard, and since you're prompted to sing again, it's logical you'd try to win a couple times in a row to see what happens. When the yakuza yell at you, you only get two options - apologizing has no noticable effect, so you'd try fighting. You're thrown into a fight, so it makes sense to see if fighting them off has an effect... this entire sequence isn't hard to figure out, it's all about just trying the different options you have until you find the one that sends you further into the sequence, and every time you do something right it's obvious you found the correct option.

But here's the kicker:
When you get the paper, it's obvious one of the presented options is correct. The GCCX episode didn't explain them, so here's a rundown.
"Look at the paper" just freezes the game. No button you push will do anything. Press reset.
"Tear it up" and "paint it with ink" ruin the paper right away, these are obviously wrong.
"Soak it in water"... Well. Pressing the button at any time will ruin the paper. After 10 minutes the paper will automatically be ruined. BUT, if you breathe into the mike after 5 minutes have passed, and (obviously) before the entire 10 minutes pass, you'll get the map. This is horribly obscure and not something you'd really figure out.
"Expose it to sunlight" gives you the map after an hour.

The puzzle is one you'd logically solve after some experimentation. Three of the options can be canceled out of, and the other 2 are clearly wrong, so you'd logically try not canceling out of them. The water option destroys the paper after 10 minute, so you'll try the others, and eventually figure out that the sunlight one gives you the map after an hour. It's a trial and error puzzle where one of the two correct solutions is simple enough that everyone will eventually stumble upon it, though it'll probably take them some 10 tries or so, experimenting with the various options offered.
But remember... every time you want to try one of the options, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE KARAOKE SEGMENT AGAIN.
And that's where it goes from being "a lesson in logical trial-and-error gameplay that really could've used some hints towards the correct options" to "an obnoxiously frustrating dick of a game".

(and keep in mind that until it occurs to you that since getting that map is obviously something you need to do, you should go get that right away, then save, because if you do something else first and it's not something you need to do, you'll probably gently caress yourself out of the possibility to buy the items you need, and will need to restart, doing the karaoke and the waiting game AGAIN)

Oh, and you need to beat the karaoke 3 times in a row without failing at all. If you fail once, you'll be asked if you want to give up. If you say no, and continue singing, you can get the "good" ranking a dozen times in a row, but nothing will ever happen. You MUST sing well on the first 3 songs you try after buying two drinks. Just to make it even harder to figure out what to do.

EDIT: btw, good luck if you don't know the songs. While the music in the background helps you keep the rhythm, it's nowhere near a good enough indicator of how you need to sing that you can wing it.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 11, 2013

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

zari-gani posted:

By the way, asides from the children's songs, none of the songs in the karaoke are real so it's extra hard to figure it out. Here's a Vocaloid version someone made of Rainy Shinkaichi if you want to hear how it's supposed to sound. Sing along! I made sure my English translation matches the melody.

Really? drat. The only way I made it through was to memorize how Arino sung it.

Also: If you don't divorce your wife, once you reach the third or fourth island (the first is a trap you can't get away from, and the second you can only get away from by finding a secret warp back to the Resort Center there's no way you'd ever discover without a guide), you'll be met by a vision of your wife telling you to wake up... and you'll be teleported back to your house.

If you've been experimenting like you should've, you'd no doubt have found the ability to divorce her, and you'd also know getting the divorce means your house will be empty, so it's not that hard to figure out that the way to prevent that vision from sending you back is to get the divorce, so it's not THAT dickish a puzzle.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Famicom Jump is my least favorite by far. It's a game I had already played beforehand, and I knew it was both easy, boring and not something Arino would ever struggle with. Almost all the fun to be had in the game comes from recognizing characters and seeing how they were put to use in the game, but that doesn't make for a very good GCCX episode.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

joek0 posted:

Regarding the new episode:
I can't believe that Arino cleared Magical Quest in about 5 and a half hours. There was light out when he cleared the game. Has Arino gotten better or was the game not that difficult? Great Job Arino!

It's fairly easy, and the fact that you get infinite continues from the level you died on makes it pretty simple to just truck on until you eventually beat it. The bosses usually are on their own levels too, so there's nothing to repeat if you die on a boss. He also managed to spam up a lot of coins and get both power items, which help a lot.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

redmercer posted:

From what I know about it, the main problem with St. Seiya was that it expected you to do things that didn't make sense in the context of the game because you're supposed to know how the anime went.

Why would you play a licensed game if you weren't already a fan of the franchise and knew how the plot went, though? It's not like they tend to be good.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Oh, now I'm slightly sad that that's the Disney game they played. I thought it was... hosed if I can remember the name now, but it was for the NES, you controlled Mickey with Minnie following you, it was some sort of house with two floors, and it was gently caress hard to five year old me.

(The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Help me remember the name of a game!!!)

Micky Mousecapades.

Yeah, that game is hard. Not very good either.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

joek0 posted:

What is the GCCX special about? When did it air? Seems to be about a Resident Evil game.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzkzOTI2MjA0.html

This is "Resident Evil EX", a special made for a freebie DVD given away with early purchases of Resident Evil: Extinction on Bluray/DVD/UMD. It's a retrospective on the Resident Evil games and movies.

joek0 posted:

I found a raw for the Live Takeshi No Chosenjou Special. The video is 2 hours and 40 mins long. Did you guys not sub the last bit of it? Will you sub the end of it? Was the last 40 mins not aired live?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzUwMzg5OTI4.html

That's the "Takeshi's Challenge Full Version" special, which aired in June 2009, 2 months after the actual live challenge. It's a different special from the one the team subbed, and shows what happened the next 40 minutes or so after the live broadcast ended.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 15, 2013

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Aurain posted:

I seem to recall reading that Arino loves Resident Evil and claims to be good enough at it that it would be a bad episode because he'd clear it easily.

More or less. His known love for RE is the reason why he was chosen to do that DVD special in the first place.

Aurain posted:

If that's true, I feel as though he should put his money where his mouth is.

Watching Arino play a game he's already very familiar with (and which isn't particularly hard either) honestly wouldn't make for a very interesting episode.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 15, 2013

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I like the Mario episodes, and think I even put Super Mario World on my favorite list.
What's supposed to be so bad about them?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

joek0 posted:

In regards to GCCX Double Headers:
What episodes and games has he done a double header? I recall double headers from the Gargoyle's Quest, Tower of Babel, and the Space Hunter episodes. Am I missing any others?

If Season 1 counts, he did Yie Ar Kung Fu, Gradius and Track & Field in episode 9 and Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels in episode 10.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

So, how many survey voters were from Norway?

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

zari-gani posted:

That's the plan. Some might even come sooner than others, like when we did Ghosts'n Goblins to be part of a Halloween GnG trilogy release. I might even finish Magical Quest soon since it's half-done anyway. It's all up to what we feel like and how busy we are!

If I may offer a comment on that... the North Trip series really really needs a retranslation. It's one of those early fan favorites, and the TVN sub of that is just stunningly bad, with ridiculous mistranslations all over the place to the point where entire segments don't even make sense.
Just a suggestion, of course, but I'm sure it would be a highly appreciated release.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

zari-gani posted:

I've actually been itching to do that one after doing Southernmost Game Travelogue, so among all the eventual re-translations it's probably highest on the priority list.

I love you guys so much.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

bpc908 posted:

That Didn't stop Ocarina of Time from being a challenge

It stopped it from being a good one.

Son Ryo posted:

(that Shonen Jump game was an RPG, wasn't it?)

It's an action adventure game. There's some menu-driven battles at the very end, but for 99% of the game you just walk around and punch stuff.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Not sure exactly when it got added (they never date these things), but there's a 40-minute cut of the Megaman 2 live challenge up on the 3DS eshop (and I assume the WiiU one too).