Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mister Chief posted:

Action 52 cost $199 when it was released in 1991 so I highly doubt this. You probably had more generic Chinese multi-carts.
I'd just like to point out that what cost $199 in 1991 would cost $315 today. $315 for a single game cartridge. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Yay! Thank you!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
:f5: time!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I think we need to pool our funds and set up a bounty to get this episode translated ahead of all the others in the queue.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Super Mario World.

Because, you know, according to the consensus in the thread, it's like hard. Or something. :rolleyes:

Seriously? You can't accept that different people find different games to be difficult?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Oncogene posted:

I just recently got addicted to this show thanks to this thread but I have a question. I noticed at the end of episodes they give away a business card and other times when Arino meets someone he'll exchange a business card with them. Is that a customary thing over in Japan or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meishi

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Speaking of that song, did an mp3 of Route53 from the sunsoft CD ever turn up anywhere?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

pnumoman posted:

Korean TV does lots of text on screen as well. And it's frankly more of a US aversion to reading, IMO. Don't know of another group of people that hate reading as much as the average American.

Yep, no text on our TV stations. :confused:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Beautiful!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Grawl posted:

Sorry guys, so much for hosting on my site.

Omar L. NixiHost.com is an even stupider name than Kim Dotcom.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Kid Dracula was great. It had basically everything I look for in a GCCX episode.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
So... The fat guy in the comedy trio who visits Arino during the 24h challenge...

What's, uh, wrong with his head?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
There's no way that people are ever going to come to consensus on how to torrent the back episodes. There have been 30 or more posts on the subject, each one with a different configuration.

Whoever is going to do it should just do it however they want to and everyone else can live with it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
So I know you guys don't take donations, but is there anything the translators or timers need in terms of equipment? Hard drives, video cards, books, pens, paper, anything? Is there anything you guys need to make your lives easier that I/we could help out with? It would please me greatly if I could contribute something that would be of use to the team.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
That is so completely awesome. Wow.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Awwwww, so close.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

GidgetNomates posted:

Her being in on it doesn't make it right

You're throwing around wrong and right as if they were absolutes and they really aren't.

GidgetNomates posted:

What does it ADD?

I think you'd have to watch the show with the intended audience (ie: not us) and see what the reactions are to determine if they have an effect, positive or negative, on the entertainment value.

To be clear, a lot of the things Arino says to/about other people strike me as awkward, but I don't know enough about the greater context to start making any judgment calls about it.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 27, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, DVDs have become a weird archaic format that I don't understand why anyone uses anymore. Hopefully there's a digital version.

Just buy the DVD version and stick it in a closet or something, then download the inevitable rips. That's what I'll be doing. I don't care about having the episodes on some silly plastic discs, I just want to support the show. :D

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Spectacular, thanks yet again.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Has there ever been a full light-gun game challenge?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bocc Kob posted:

Dolphin sci-fi is a thing that exists? :psyduck:
Aside from (or probably inspired by) Brin's Uplift series, there was a talking dolphin on the short-lived but mainstream SeaQuest DSV TV show back in the 90s.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Their enthusiasm is awesome, but someone needs to mentor them to make sure that all their effort is used as efficiently as possible.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nill posted:

The torrent is bugging out because the embed code wasn't posted, just a direct link.
This should fix it:

Download torrent81 (1 file; 511.64 MB)
View torrent stats

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Okay, so I'm at PAX East. Which one of you did I StreePass with? Your message was "Kacho On" and you'll recognize me because my message was also
"Kacho On"!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

Also, if there isn't at least one person at PAX dressed as Arino I will be disappointed.
I didn't see anyone as Arino over the last 2 days of walking around and going to panels. :( There was an awesome retro arcade machines room, as well as a room full of retro consoles and they were both full pretty much constantly.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
My wife and I went to SF over the weekend for a friend's wedding. Needless to say this is the first place we went after getting off the plane:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Inferior Third Season posted:

Did you give some quarters in tribute to the wind machine?

That was literally the first machine I put money into.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Vlaphor posted:

Did you get a chance to meet the man in charge, maybe mention that you saw his business on GameCenter CX? I know the people who run the game store that Arino visited during his America trip have mentioned hearing about it, and have discussed it on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/4JAYSVideoGames

We saw the guy (really hard to miss him) but after a brief discussion with my wife we decided it would indeed be "kinda weird" to approach him about how we saw him on a Japanese TV show.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hirayuki posted:

I never got around to seeing the SOS episode. Now I'm really regretting it. :(

It was at one point uploaded to the internet. Nothing is ever deleted from the internet.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bocc Kob posted:

At what point does it stop being an impressive display of skill and start being time for intervention? :stare:

No worries, I'm sure by now they've all moved to a nice supervised living facility in the countryside where they're limited to 6 hours of Minecraft a day.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Gutcruncher posted:

Unsatisfied with keeping the fighting in the streets of the present, Capcom decided to take it to the space streets in the dystopian future of the year 2010. Can Arino cyborg-laser-punch his way to victory over today's futuristic challenge? Street Fighter 2010. Translated by Zari-gani and timed by Gutcruncher
Spectacular!

As a side note, the filename on depositfiles is in Japanese and the size is different... Could it be the raw?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
My gaydar pings every time I see Kibe on screen, but I can't tell if it's just a cultural misunderstanding or what. I also think he's the coolest of the behind the scenes guys. I love the segments that has he clearly designed around showing off his retro game knowledge or collection.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

It's probably along the lines of how we wanted to see those My Neighbor Seinfeld episodes re-re-translated back into English and subtitled. The fact that it's of really poor quality will make it even funnier.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Thanks ZG and GC!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

One thing that confuses me about the Kotaku version is how only the narration is dubbed. Dubs are for people who'd prefer not to read subs. If you're going to dub something, why not go all the way?

Maybe they were trying to evoke comparisons with Iron Chef, where all of the dialogue is dubbed except Chairman Kaga's?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

rdbbb posted:

It's with a "t" but thank you

Tyma posted:

*(c)Tray Barnhold

All fixed.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
"Kotaku (famous American blog)"

I giggled.

"Next time, maybe we'll go to the east coast?"

Yes. That would be awesome.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 2, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

Doki Doki Panic has arrived.

Thank you, zari-gani! :)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Isn't this pretty much a tautology by now? 3D games are harder than 2D games, they have literally 50% more dimensions to orient your character in. 3D games aren't rocket science to 2D gaming's finger-painting or anything, but they are definitely harder and require far more complicated control schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I felt bad that they made him grind for lives using the shell and bullet bills, instead of the stage where turn all the enemies into silver coins and you can rack up 99 lives in a minute or two.