Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

It's nothing terribly exciting, but I'd like to point out that the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation project did a "No, were not dead" post. I'll admit that I was starting to get worried about the project status.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Wow, that's fuckin' creepy. I used MU like, not even two hours ago to grab a memory card a goon put together for me because I couldn't figure it out myself.

I finished the Flashback episode a bit before noon, I'm glad that I remembered to start the download this morning.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Ninja Spirit. Episode 112.

That's always surprised me, I got stuck the last stage for weeks.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

zari-gani posted:

I would gladly translate Retro Game Challenge 2 (if only to do "The Chief is a Great Detective"), but I'm not on that team and I'm not sure how alive the project is.
"The Chief is a Great Detective" is the sole reason I haven't just played the Japanese version of RGC2. Everything else I could just look at a faq to figure out what I had to do and play the game, but that one I'd have to just blindly follow orders of "select this option and then go here" which pretty much removes any fun.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

zari-gani posted:

I'm interested in this Legend of River King challenge (what should we call it? Only two of the Kawa no Nushi Turi games came out in English... Legend of River King 2 is KnNT 4, and Legend of the River King is KnNT 3, so... Legend of River King Zero??). I love the more unorthodox challenges. Here's some gameplay footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzSm13voe4c
ETA: Three games, not two.

I'm surprised that French words being left untranslated is a common thing. French is so much closer to English than Japanese is.

I'd just go with "Kawa no Nushi Turi(A "Legend of River King" game, unreleased in the US)". It's about as clear and to the point as I can think of.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Hey Zari-gani, I remember that about a year ago you mention that you were willing to help with the Retro Game Challenge 2 translation but didn't know how to get in touch with them. Apparently they're looking for new translators and have a e-mail address to contact them.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 26, 2012

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Was it either of these?

Honestly I think those ads were part of the reason that Retro Game Challenge was such a flop in the US. There were so many retro arcade game compilations coming out, I just assumed that RGC was another one. It wasn't until it started being mentioned in SA that I noticed it was an entirely new game.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Quick question for those who own a copy of Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge 2. I was watching the Donkey Kong Country episode and they stated there was a "Today's challenge" system. How does that actually work, is there like an optional challenge for every day of the year?

Edit:

Ah, thanks joek0!

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 1, 2013

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Anyhoo, next episode revealed! It is Space Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSX31xFv1OU

It's... oh dear... could it be? Yes, it has all the makings of a crap game.

That actually doesn't look too bad to me. Of course, everything could be different when actually playing it :)

Edit: After watching the linked video more, it does look to be a "impossible to beat without the strategy guide" type game.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 3, 2013

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Cheat devices had a lot of negative effects actually. They could mess up carts and systems, allow access to content which could cause problems, and in general screwed a lot of things up.

Eh, I inputted hundreds of random codes into my NES Game Genie and it never harmed anything. It did delete the save game on a fairly regular basis, but I've always thought the lasting harm to games or the system was a myth.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

bpc908 posted:

Screenshots from the GCCX 3DS game

Looks pretty good, the graphics style is different, it kinda reminds me more of Colecovision then a NES. If they port this, I'll have to scrape up the money for a 3DS.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

bpc908 posted:

I mean we're getting Senran Kagura in the US, nobody expected that game to be localized

I should not have looked that up in a public place.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

GXXC3 got 8/8/8/8 in Famitsu, for those who care. The original got 9/8/8/8, no idea about GCCX2.

zari-gani posted:

I haven't bought Arino on 3rd Street yet, but so far on Amazon.co.jp, it's got an average of 2 out of 5 stars from 27 reviewers. Most common complaints are lack of 80's vibe, bad controls/graphics/sound, and frustrating game challenges.

Is there usually this big of a disconnect between Famitsu scores and fan reaction?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Since the site seems to be hammered, here's a link Aaron posted directly to the download

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

It appears to just be me, but I have no idea why. I've tried on several browsers on two computers, and still no luck. Maybe I'll just get someone to download the patch for me and copy/paste the instructions.

I've been having a similar problem, the site just times out. I haven't been able to get through to it at all. I posted a direct link to the 1.0 patch a bit back, however apparently the 1.0.1 patch just got released.

Edit:

If anyone could post the link to the 1.0.1 download I'd appreciate it.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 2, 2014

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

It sucks that the patch site doesn't seem to work for some people. Maybe it's ISP related?

I'm guessing so, my local ISP has always been kinda wonky. Thanks for the link.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm guessing so, my local ISP has always been kinda wonky. Thanks for the link.

Well for a bit more on the "Can't access the gccxpatch site" problem. For some reason my ISP seems to have blocked the website, I can access it from other locations (that use a different ISP), but at home I can't even access the site using the IP address.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Not to be a pest or anything, but could somebody start doing torrents of the episodes again?

My internet connection is pretty crappy, and a download takes up pretty much all the bandwidth for a good chunk of time. So I prefer to just queue up any large files I want to download into Bittorrent and leave it puttering along overnight.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Oh... well I kinda feel dumb now. It never occurred to me to just check Nyaa directly, I was looking for torrent links in the thread and on SA-GCCX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

If that link doesn't work for you (for some reason my ISP blocks the site) you can also get the patch from this thread.