Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

Caitlin posted:

If you are not a creep and provide gas money it could be possible to get a ride there from nice goons who like going to arcades! :v: Just sayin'. Since we are both upstanding members of the RG thread.

Logan Hardware becoming a beercade is VERY recent, within the last month or two, and I don't know how much I care about making a trip to see it specifically now that it's converted.

http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2014/02/11/logan-hardware-arcade-bar-opening-monday.php

February yeah.

The sad part about Logan Hardware is that although they have a unique selection (flagship would probably be 6p X-Men I guess), it's kind of arbitrary which ones are in good condition and/or which ones are free play. The pinball selection is pretty decent, I finally got to play Pinbot even though I played the NES version of it a ton when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Apparently Koshien for the Famicom was relatively popular and people are still modding the game to keep it up to date with the new teams for each year's tournament...

This is done here with Tecmo Bowl as well, strangely enough.

http://tecmobowl.org/

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

zari-gani posted:

I've been working on a Season 1 episode (with all the interviews and such) and oh, this game dev.

Yeah, it has to be Itagaki

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

TheMcD posted:

It's a strange concept, since it had to be clear from the start that there was no way Arino was clearing loving Gradius without some MAJOR help. If they really wanted a win, they probably should have looked into a different game.

I was kinda wondering that too, maybe Life Force (or Salamander over there) would have been a better choice since like in Contra, the konami code gets you 30 lives instead of powerups, and maybe more than once if you follow the arbitrary boss color system. Maybe they decided it would be better because they had continues and they didn't think he could beat Life Force with 30 lives, even with multiple attempts?

It was probably the continue system that did it. They really love giving him poo poo for loving up complex (and simple) continue codes.

At work today, the Konami code was the topic of discussion, and I correctly suggested Gradius used it first :krad:

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

According to Arino's wikipedia page, he was on the commentary track with Edgar Wright for the Blu-Ray release of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. That would be pretty cool to hear, but I doubt it will ever get translated.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

zari-gani posted:

I'm currently helping Fangamer at MAGFest over this weekend, and got a surprise visit from Champignon/Tempura Wizard, friendly OP of the original Game Center CX thread. Thanks guy!

oh, I think I bought some undertale stickers from you :shittydog:

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I actually got to play Pulseman on SEGA Channel when I was a kid (along with Wily Wars) and didn't realize that it was the only way to play it back then.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Still holding out that they'll eventually play Shovel Knight now that it's out over there finally.

On a related topic, I played Groove Coaster 3 at a Round1 out here in the Chicago suburbs recently and was surprised to find stuff from the Crypt of the Necrodancer soundtrack (Spike Chunsoft of course localized it) and even some mashup thing with Danganronpa and Necrodancer.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Kakaricho posted:

- Throws controller

- Shorter cords yank the system off the table, game crashes with the system

- Kan voice-over to a segment worrying if he can recover

You laugh but I broke a PS1 this way playing Marvel vs Capcom

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Just out of curiosity what are those kinds of problems?

The argument you can make I guess is quantity over quality. They have a huge selection, but given the amount of traffic they get there is bound to be a minor issue on some cabs on any given time, that and the few times I've been there I didn't see a whole lot of candy cabs, probably more of a space concern than anything. I wonder if they'll ever be able to fix the Beavis & Butthead cabinet. The last two times I went there it wasn't working.

GG would definitely be tops for all of Chicagoland. For the city itself I would recommend Logan Arcade since it's a barcade, they take good care of their machines (regular maintenance and I swear to god they move things around and remove/add/rotate stuff every week), they have some cool events and rare pinball/arcade cabs, and there's a really dedicated ST/3S community there.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Also, I'm sure it's probably more worth it nowadays in an age of expanded digital OTA content.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

All four of those are really solid games, that when you see them pop up for like, speedrunners or in tournaments or whatever, everyone is shocked that they didn't know about such fun games.

All I knew was Code Name Viper only to know later on in life it was clearly a Rolling Thunder knockoff

Although it had a very prescient plot for the time "Better stop all these south american drug lords hmm who could possibly be behind all of this"

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Um, no. I can vouch for the fact that myself and many of my middle school friends who played the game when it came out in the US definitely criticized it for being different, and I seriously doubt that we were alone.

I have a really fond childhood memory of my brother trying and failing to beat Zelda 2. His master plan was to get to the grand palace at the end of the night Thursday with max lives, leave the nintendo on, go to bed, to go school Friday and come home to tackle the grand palace unfettered. Imagine his surprise when the NES got stuck in a reboot loop when he got home. He was pissed~

EDIT: I was genuinely impressed that Arino managed to beat Dark Link in two tries. Was the AI easier in the JP FDS version or something?

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

univbee posted:

Episode 240 - Um Jammer Lammy

The rhythm gamer in me chuckled at this line

Tatsujin fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 4, 2019

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I completely forgot that AaronInJapan translated the second DS game and after talking to him about it in a groupchat hopefully he will rehost the files for it somewhere including an unreleased patch :allears:

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

A friend of mine linked me to a torrent of translated episodes for a similar variety show, called Tokyo Encounter, where a bunch of Japanese voice actors play video games and talk about each other. Maybe that would tide you over???

https://nyaa.si/view/835004

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Jubs posted:

Would it be possible to reupload the episodes to Mega? All of the direct links on the site are dead.

theres a fairly large and complete new torrent on the same site where most new episodes get posted, that's about all I can say

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

If it has licensed material, then it can't be linked.

Yeah, and as much as I want to say 'buy the DVD,' my own copy has about doubled in value at this point due to rarity. Just trying to be diplomatic.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Dr. Furious posted:

He's not at a lot of risk. Japan has been extremely effective at managing the coronavirus.

Compared to the US of course, yes. Compared to neighborhing nations lol noooooo

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I was wondering why the 24x7 stream was playing that episode all of a sudden. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

makere posted:

Small part of me wishes that they would've stuck to the season 1 format, with more emphasis on the interviews. Or at least allow more variety on the episode structure.

They made a separate DVD-only subseries called 'The Game Maker' which is similar to the Season 1 format back in 2010/2011.