Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Shlapintogan posted:

- Up-end the bottle if the new form kills him.

-Should Arino forget to continue and have to start the game over due to his carelessness, finish 3/4 of your drink, then refill it.

Also I've not seen Top Gear but whether or not the analogy is spot on I like the idea of getting exposure for it by comparing it to a popular show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Speaking of forgetting to continue, I've been playing through GCCX Arino no Chousenjou 2 and I forgot to use the continue code over halfway through Demon Returns. I also replayed through RGC and the game is even better because of all the little GCCX references I can now appreciate.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I disagree with the arguments he makes that fansubs do nothing to support GCCX over here. I mean, it's true that they're not earning any money off of the fansubs or us watching the show that way, but I'd bet there's a number of people who have bought merchandise. I intend to do so at some point. Even if people just bought Retro Game Challenge because of the fansubs they watched, that's a step in the right direction, albeit a small one.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Hokuto posted:

I would beg to differ since obviously people from this thread that were drawn here by fansubs ended up actively joining the fan event in LA. I would posit that fansubbers directly contributed to GCCX's actual reception in the US at that event, while Kotaku did absolutely no advertising for the event when they were in the most prime position to do so.

This is also a good point. I remember it was stated that they did not expect much of a turnout, and as we all know the reception was amazing. I would have to agree that the fansubbing efforts were the cause of most of that. If there were no fansubbing efforts, with Kotaku's lack of advertising, the week's notice and the small-sized fanbase they draw in with RGM it is easy to imagine the turnout would have been pathetic if not for fansubbers.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Along with the other problems with Kotak mentioned in previous posts, what really gets me about sites like Kotaku is the way a lot of the writing comes across like people care about what the individual author is doing or is up to. Seriously, if you're going to tell me what your impressions of some upcoming game are, just tell me what they are. I can live without 3 paragraphs telling me about what you had for breakfast that morning.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Another odd design choice in Mega Man 3 was the way the Wily stages were. The Wily levels were fairly short, and there are pretty much constant powerups in those levels. In Wily 4 an enemy made of scrap metal that throws junk blocks at you appears for the first time. This is in spite of the fact that it would have made sense to put that enemy in the trash chute sections of Spark Man's stage.

edit: A minor nitpick but during the Yellow Devil fight in that game he has an attack where he breaks into bouncing columns. The hitbox for his standing form appears before the last column gets into position meaning you can take damage despite not visually appearing to touch anything.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
What an awesome release! I was going to spend time unwinding tonight but wasn't sure how and now I know. Thanks SAGCCX team, you all are great!

Oh, and did I read right a few posts up that Night of the Sickle Weasel is getting localized for iOS (or did you mean Clock Tower?)? Either way, I'd buy that up in a snap.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Awesome, I have been excited for this episode! You all get releases out so quickly and with such consistent high quality. Thanks so much as always.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Cemetry Gator posted:

During Super Mario World, I was yelling at him a few times because his play style seemed to be "Here's an enemy, let me run directly into it." He does that a lot, instead of trying to win, he tries to power through and hopes he survives. But that's part of what makes him Arino.

And then there's a puzzle game, and he's figuring out these complex puzzles like they are nothing.

One thing that drove me nuts about his play in Super Mario world was when he fought Iggy koopa, he kept trying to knock him upwards into the lava. It's understandable that the first time he might not realize it works that way but once it happens you should have the good sense to not keep trying to fight the slope!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I don't know about the rest of you but I really hate when media that is in a language I don't understand is suddenly in a language I do understand. It makes me feel unconfused and that scares me.

This DVD collection is such an amazing deal and the amount of effort that went into it is very impressive, I don't really get what he actually wanted aside from something to gripe about.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Shlapintogan posted:

Well that's excellent because I've already got the first challenge in mind. I'm debating on whether or not to have a "Hall of fame" of sorts where we keep track of people who complete challenges, with people who complete more of them. It'd be neat to showcase how many people beat a challenge, but I don't want to encourage people to just gun through them like there's no tomorrow. I might just have a section in the second post with links to each challenge and stats on how many people tried and how many people succeeded.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of attempt/succeed stats. I think making more complicated statistics would not be so good though. For example, not acknowledging speed is probably for the best. I know I was one of the people in the original thread that tended to beat the games in one or two sittings. With respect for your new idea if I participate I'll try to remember to intentionally stagger my attempts so as not to contribute to that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Last night I had a dream that you guys released an episode today and I was downloading it. Of all the things in the world I could dream about on Christmas my brain chose GCCX.

Now I want to see Arino wear a Santa suit and say "Santa ON!"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Caitlin posted:

God drat these episodes make me want to re-watch Liar Game and I JUST did a few months ago...

Because they use the music in those segments I always want the person whose barcode loses to fall to their knees and cry out dramatically while the other guy looks on smugly. Liar Game is just too good.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Apollove posted:

What is everyone's favorite gamecenter cx moment. It can be anything.

The dramatic flashback to about 30 seconds previous in Wagan Land to create tension before Arino does about as well as expected.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Actually this discussion got me thinking back, I think my favorite moment in the show is that time Arino briefly became a rap star.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Excited to watch this release! I'm caught in an icestorm right now and GCCX is always good at times like this. Thank you SA-GCCX team!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Help Im Alive posted:

I think that challenge is the only time I ever got a little frustrated at how bad Arino is at games.

For me it was Mega Man 4 because when refighting the robot masters, he wasn't making any effort to learn the patterns or dodge attacks at all, especially against Dive Man. If he had just learned how to use sliding defensively he could have saved so many lives and e-tanks.

I don't really know how much anyone cares about details from episodes that have been translated for awhile, so I used spoiler tags because I would rather be too careful than discourteous. Hope that isn't a problem.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

univbee posted:

Can Arino ever become an accomplished speedrunner?

Calling it now: Arino will be one of the headliners at new upstart gaming marathon "Awesome Games Done Eventually"

Thanks for the release, excited to watch this after work.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Clearly they've just given up on retro games and they're going to have Arino play Cookie Clicker.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Thanks for the new episode. I really love how into it Kan was with his commentary. Kinda makes me want to see Arino play another old sports game some day.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kakaricho posted:

Not actually Koshien (it's the Ishikawa prefecture finals), but this is what it looks like if you play like Arino in real life. Got a lot of headlines last summer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acEorOQ-8E

That's right, it`s Kazushige Fukunaga, he does announcer work for Fuji, mainly sport matches and cooking shows (he also likes Mecha Ike).
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/ana/fukunaga/index.html

Oh, that's actually really interesting! I thought Kan was just disguising his voice really well. Sure fooled me.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Obeast posted:

I'll never get tired of that weird time where Inoko MAX tried too hard to be cool/funny, but ultimately became hated by everyone because he kept getting carried away

I really loved that one because Arino reacted so well to how bad that impression was, and that he kept doing that and embarrassing himself made otherwise dull moments in the challenge rather fun.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Konsek posted:

He defeats the last course in a final face-to-face battle!
Gutcruncher: "Oh, here we go, the ending."
Gutcruncher puts down his knife and fork.
And then a waiter brings out another plate.
And then...
Gutcruncher: "No way!"
Of course this would happen! The true last battle.
Gutcruncher: "So I gotta eat this , right?"
AD: "Good luck"
He starts the battle with the last true course.

I would pay a pretty penny to eat in a GCCX theme restaurant if they did stuff like that.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

gunstarheroes posted:

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv217918735

Arino is doing a live bit currently for the NicoNico Chokaigi if anyone is around and up. Don't need an account to watch either.

Oh my god I open this up and they're bringing him a pad to play DDR Mario Mix! This is going to be awesome.

edit: Oh, no, it's not DDR, they're just making him play Mario with that as the controller.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I can't wait to see what ridiculous level Arino put together. I just picture him giggling to himself with glee as he puts together some nearly impossible thing.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Was that level named Arinomerica? Did I read that right?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

gunstarheroes posted:

This really is selling me on Mario Maker, this is amazing

Yeah, I was mildly interested before but I think Arino just sold me a copy. This is so cool.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I love how if you trust Arino's design and follow the down arrows you just die because it's a death pit.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

zari-gani posted:

Jaw, mouth, cheeks, nose -- those cold masks cover more of the face than sunglasses do.

Watching Miyamoto suffer through Arino's course was like bizarro GCCX.

Every time Arino called out "Yay!" in glee I felt like it must have been cathartic for him to repay even just a couple of the many deaths he has faced as a result of Miyamoto.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kakaricho posted:

With 9.5 hours until Arino and crew reach shore, who wants to gamble that a Titanic impersonation makes it into the special?

I've got my fingers crossed for Septentrion!

They should have Arino play the awful playstation sequel to that someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It was a little bit ago but I don't think Arino ever fails on purpose, I do think he's inconsistent about keeping his guard up. During the Solomon's Key challenge he put the controller down when he beat the game and something that happened during the ending made him pick the controller back up out of brief worry it wasn't over, but it was.