Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Arino has faced many difficult challenges in the past, and impaled himself on a great many spike traps. What if the entire game was made of spike traps? Here we will find out in Quest of Ki!!

Zari-gani once again proves shes an android or something and provides the translation, while I once again prove how utterly sexy (in a rugged way) I am by timing it.

Episode 54: Quest of Ki
http://www.multiupload.com/JYFT4XZEFD

Sub file
http://www.multiupload.com/6P5O5GQHWM

Was this subbed by another group at some point? I could have sworn I've seen this before. Maybe I watched the raw at some point but I'm pretty sure I remember understanding it.

edit: Nevermind, I would have remembered these awful "point" puns.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Das_Ubermike posted:

I think that was just Kibe, who always struck me as a little femmy.

What a merciless game that is/was. There's absolutely no wriggle room when it comes to bonking your head or stepping on those spikes. Also that music, dear god.

Can you not duck in this game unless you collide with something first? If not, strange that Arino didn't use ducking more often, especially in the spike hell level.

He mentions pretty early on that you can't duck. Bonking your head makes you duck but it's not really useful.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bovineicide posted:

Uh... isn't the Japanese version supposed to be pretty easy compared to the one the rest of the world got?

They got 5 lives per continue instead of 3, and the motorcycle or whatever segment is just slightly less impossible. They basically got all the changes that were also in the US Genesis version. So if you've played that one, then the level of difficulty is the same.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Super Mario World may very well be the easiest game he's played. It's very easy. I'm honestly pretty sure he dies on purpose at times.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

So yea, when the wind starts kicking in at 66 it gets a little crazy. The physics immediately change when your feet hit the ground so the pedestal jumping in 65 basically makes you stop touching the D-Pad when you hit the pedestal and only use it in the air. Took 3 continues to clear that stage.

:e good lord gently caress 71. Hitbox seems to warp at will. Still only taken about an hour to get to 76, though.

I got to 59 in about 15-20 minutes but got stuck there for another 10 or so minutes and that's as much of that game I can take. I can see why Arino had problems with it. Someone with little game experience who just isn't very good at games in general would take forever to get through each level once the warps stop. The controls are really awkward and just bad. Yeah it makes the game far more difficult, but it's because you never feel like you're in control. It feels like a bad, contrived difficulty.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Benly posted:

Quest of Ki really seems to presage the Super Meat Boy school of modern indie platformer design where you have short levels that are hard as hell, an extremely mobile jumper with no offensive ability to speak of, and next to no penalty for failure. I find it interesting in that regard.

"Extremely mobile" is not how I'd put it. You can jump forever, but that's it. You move slowly, it takes a long time to build momentum and once you have it it's hard as hell to reverse. It's like you're controlling a fat cow on rollerskates on an ice rink.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Please tell me you're using B+opposite direction to brake. It's pretty easy to come to a stop using that combo.

I am. It still takes WAY too long to stop when doing that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Those of you who liked the Ninja Gaiden episode may be interested to see something on the opposite side of the spectrum: http://blip.tv/tipping-forties/let-s-play-ninja-gaiden-5830761

A totally impromptu 22 minute speedrun from an out of practice and somewhat drunk player, from a thread in the LP forum. I'm not posting this to say that it was easy or anything, it's clearly insanely hard, I just think it's interesting to see games get played really well after watching its episode on GCCX, just for a nice contrasting view of the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I beat Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Once. I was five or six and had no idea how I did it, and never figured out the trick to the final boss again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Huh? Multiple groups fansub the same anime and dramas all the time.

Usually as they're coming out when there's a competitive rush to see who can do it fastest and best. Otherwise it's because they feel that all other subs are inadequate.

It has nothing to do with respect, though. Doing episodes SA Team has done wouldn't be disrespectful or anything, just wasteful. If they think they can do it much better, then good luck, I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, it doesn't help in GCCX's case that western console games for 8 and 16 bit systems WERE actually almost always terrible and generally completely overshadowed by Japanese games. Most of the decent ones like Out of this World, Prince of Persia, or Lemmings were ports of PC games. Wasn't until the PS2 generation that western game developers really broke back into the console market with some force.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Every time it goes "19** in games" I get disappointed that it doesn't do any C64 games. Did the C64 sell in japan at all? I never had a nintendo, until SNES.

No, it did not. I don't know if they even tried.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Goldwarf posted:

It's like the worst parts of every ROM hack ever made all rolled into one.

I'm sorry but Super Mario Bros. Crossover actually owns. A lot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Comix Zone?! ARGHHHHHHHHH

]

I feel bad for anyone who has to translate all those little text bubbles.

Oh god. Exactly how badly did they anime the game up for Japan?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, good luck on any letter writing campaigns towards a defunct company.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

That's pretty much how it was. The NES may have revitalized the US video game market after the crash of '83, but western developers for the most part moved on to computers or arcades. I don't recall many western-developed console games until around the late '80s/early '90s timeframe, and a good number of those were either arcade ports (Paperboy, Joust) or computer ports (Maniac Mansion, the ICOM MacVenture titles).

Yeah, the video game market crash scarred western developers and they fled to the commodore, Amiga, and PC. Once Nintendo came around, their terms were too strict and they got comfortable with the open nature of computers and arcade development. It honestly wasn't until over 15 years later with the XBox that western developers made a full comeback into the console scene. You can count the number of good western NES games on one hand and the number of good SNES/Genesis games on maybe two. Most of those were ports. So yeah, considering the Japanese don't really care about computers, they had a pretty skewed view on western games since most of what they saw genuinely were weird or lovely.

I was happy that the show actually had really nice things to say about Lemmings. It was the one case where the king or announcer didn't call it unusual or weird or something, and they called it a masterful puzzle game or something similar.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vlaphor posted:

Well, according to Wikipedia

Valis X

Valis X (Valis Cross) was a hentai attempt to resurrect the series. There are five Valis X titles that retell the stories of the first four games containing copious amounts of lesbian acts and tentacle sex. The game was developed by Eants but was published by Telenet Japan. This was also the last game published by Telenet Japan.

The game was released to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series however, the game was poorly received by critics and fans of the series.

So, yeah... (really liked Super Valis IV on SNES)

This taught me something I didn't need to know.

Wikipedia has a page for Tentacle Sex.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shady3011 posted:

Unfortunately, it's the latter.

I don't really know why they had to use the Valis license. Is there some insane Valis fanbase in Japan who are in love with the character or something? You don't exactly need an excuse to make a hentai game in japan.

edit: Upon further research, the Turbografx version had some pretty gratuitous fanservice so I guess it makes a bit more sense now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 27, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eeevil posted:

As I understand it, the trouble with this is that guilt is very rarely a good motivator for people, and is often more likely to cause body image issues and depression that further exacerbate the problem.

Yeah... Just because it's a cultural norm, it doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sturgeon posted:

It seems to be that the only people getting "bent out of shape" are the people complaining about the fat jokes. I can't help but wonder what they're doing on a website that was originally devoted to mocking people if something so benign is considered offensive to them.

A Japanese comic made fat jokes several years ago in another language. Is it really worth derailing the thread over?

I don't think any of us ever wanted to derail the thread. Some people pointed out that it was in bad taste, and the white knights flocked to the scene.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Liku posted:

Will these be available digitally through Amazon or something too? I hate physical discs, but if that's the only option I'll probably just get it anyway.

Yeah, DVDs have become a weird archaic format that I don't understand why anyone uses anymore. Hopefully there's a digital version.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, Mega Man 1 was actually a pretty rushed and sloppy release. Capcom is lucky it turned into such a gigantic franchise. Every once in a while you get this wildly successful and popular franchise where the first game kind of sucked. Mega Man is that. The degree to which the games were improved from 1 to 2 is just astounding.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had no idea Ecco was like that until a few years ago. As a kid, I always assumed it was just a lame Free Willy cash-in, and I didn't like Free Willy either (honestly, who did? How was that movie popular??).

edit: I realize Ecco came first, but I probably didn't hear of it until later.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 19, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had the DS version of Shiren and never managed to get deeper than a few dungeon floors in. It just didn't appeal to me. I like roguelikes, too. I've played a decent bit of crawl and ZHP is one of my favorite PSP games. Shiren is just dull.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I owned Street Fighter 2010 as a kid. That game was awful, but back then you only owned so many games, so I played a lot of it. Can't wait to watch this episode.

Half the games I had back then were bought blind without a box or manual or anything because I got them for $1-5 from rummage sales or yard sales. Yeah, I'll buy your box of 10 games for $40. There's got to be at least one or two decent ones in there!

I got Spy vs Spy that way and that game owned.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

At this point, they'd probably consider localizing a DS game and releasing it now to be unprofitable. They could very well be right. I don't know if many people would buy it other than hardcore GCCX fans, and there really isn't a whole lot of us.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shady3011 posted:

That would make the most sense, but they should have revised their numbers when that fell through. In hindsight, hoping that the game would do well on its 8-bit throwback games alone was misguided.

Revise what numbers? The game failed to turn a profit, that's the long and short of it. It not meeting their expectations became irrelevant once it became apparent that the game lost them money. If they were banking on cross promotional capabilities but the show deal fell through, then they probably did revise their estimates but they can't retroactively revise the budget for a project already completed or mostly complete.

What's the source on the 100,000 thing anyways? For the record, 100,000 sales is a pretty modest number. That's not exactly blockbuster territory. That's "average third party game" territory. Failure to meet that number isn't because they set their expectations too high.

Shady3011 posted:

I believe they were hoping the brand would make it sell more. :confused:

I never got that impression. The vast majority of all marketing I saw tried to play on people's nostalgia. It's not like they expected people to know who Arino was.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well then it was still incorrect usage. :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nickoten posted:

Wait, there's a UFO catcher simulator in Yakuza? Why the gently caress am I not playing it right now?

You are like that dude in the first Yakuza who lost all his money trying to win a prize for his girlfriend or something. Or maybe he sold his girlfriend's present to keep playing? I forget but basically what I'm saying is that people addicted to ufo catchers are crazy and also you're crazy.

Well, I kid, but I really don't see how such a thing can be so addictive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

joek0 posted:

I am not autistic. I am just a serious person who doesn't really comprehend sarcasm very well. I guess I just don't have a sense of humor or sarcasm.

He was joking there, too. Man, you really ARE bad at this!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

zari-gani posted:

One thing that confuses me about the Kotaku version is how only the narration is dubbed. Dubs are for people who'd prefer not to read subs. If you're going to dub something, why not go all the way?

I can understand what they were going for. It's a look into the weird world of a middle aged japanese gamer. "Can this weird Japanese comedian overcome the challenges and beat the game?" In that case, dubbing over the naration only kind of makes sense. Also, dubbing actual people is always completely horrible, while doing it for a faceless narrator isn't a problem.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So... Can I take this to mean that we're getting the SMW eps in the near future to finish off the season?

Either way, thanks SA GCCX Team! :swoon:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The arcade visit in this one is pretty amazing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If there's one thing the SMW episodes drive home, it's that Arino was extremely bad at side scrollers back then. It's actually kind of interesting to see how he's improved his general gaming skills little by little over the years.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

He says things like "keep calm and go slow" and I think "no, sprint and jump sometimes! Its that loving simple!". Sometimes it is hard to remember that not everyone has played Mario World all the way through a hundred times, and hasn't memorized the whole thing. I wish I could play these for the first time again, but SMW hasn't frustrated me since I was ten. I can hardly empathize with him.

That makes this such a good episode. Thank you all again for your hard work, we can't seem to get enough of this poo poo.

Just for kicks I started up a new game and I forgot to time myself but it took me like 15-20 minutes to get to the end of world 2, dying about 3 times in the world 2 castle. I've played SMW a half dozen and have played several romhacks so obviously I'm not a great comparison point, but I found it amusing that it took him five hours to get that far. I think as a kid playing the game for the first time, it only took me a few hours. That was with doing some exploration and getting a couple secret exits.

You have to keep in mind that in the first few seasons, Arino is hasn't really played video games in a looong time and he was extremely rusty. His level of play nowadays is very noticeably better than it was back then.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

I still have no idea how gliding with the cape works and Arino started doing that immediately. :negative:

You just hold the button.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For all intents and purposes, Doki Doki Panic was the game's title. The Yume Kōjō part is just its branding. Kind of like the Total War games or something. Or something like how "Sid Meier's Civilization" is just known as Civilization.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It probably just had the scent of her favorite perfume or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

People have identifiable scents, and schnozes are fairly accurate. Take a book off a shelf of books no one's touched in a month and thumb through it, then put it back and dust them all... it wouldn't be hard to tell which book you handled from scent alone. It's not that weird to be able to identify a scent, especially when it's the scent that you could be reasonably expected to guess on a variety show, which narrows it down a bit.

Well now I feel bad, my nose is terrible, I guess. I can smell my brother from a mile away, but that's another, more unfortunate story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They showed up a lot in Super Mario RPG.

edit: Oh, main games. Don't they show up in NSMB?