Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Well, that would explain why the file I was downloading from Megaupload stopped mid-download...

Bocc Kob posted:

Until they're inevitably replaced by several more.

Good name for the next big filesharing service: HydraUpload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It's official. That video is cursed. I think you have to translate it now or you'll be seized by the feds in seven days.

Don't worry, I got it through Multiupload afterwards! And it's a good episode so I'm definitely going to translate it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

That's another episode that no one has requested that's on the way, guys.

But first, three other episodes no one asked for! (Actually that's not entirely true as the third one was requested at least once.)

Random Stranger posted:

I forgot to mention this zari-gani but you know that thing at the end of that video that's going to make everyone flip out? There's one of those for Mystical Ninja/Goemon featuring Nakayama and Tojima. I don't know why they made it (especially since it ties into something completely different) but it exists.

Sweet, but I have a feeling it's not nearly as good.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Got contacted by the producer again; all I can say is I'm looking forward to the upcoming live broadcast very much now.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Nahxela posted:

Zari-Gani, next season's AD! :dance:

I would seriously flip out if that was true.

If I were given the opportunity to drop everything and move to Japan to be made fun of by Arino on TV and play impossible retro games for hours on end with my sub-par platforming skills... well, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

the least weasel posted:

Haha, I'm downloading at 65kb/s from depositfiles, is this just an Euro thing or are they this terrible?

I'm in North America and I got a consistent 130kb/s download that took about an hour to finish.

I once found a list online that showed how long Arino spent playing each game. If anyone would be interested in it I can try and find it again then translate it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Primoman posted:

The only time I call bullshit so far is during the Super Mario Bros 3 episode.

You honestly expect me to believe that's the first time Arino played that game? Isn't there some law that could get you jailed for having not played Super Mario 3 if you owned an NES/Famicom?

As someone who's subjected to cries of "What? You've never played this game??", "What? You've never seen this movie??" etc. all the time, I don't think it's much of a stretch.

I know I've talked about this before, but it's hard for me to jump on the "Arino was playing badly on purpose because nobody would be that bad that game" "Arino lied about not having never played this game because there's no way" theory wagon. In this case, I mean...sometimes, under certain circumstances, there are some games one might miss out on. Especially if you're way more into Dragon Quest and puzzle games than Mario games (such is Arino's case, it seems like).

There's no reason for him to lie or die on purpose anyway. Especially not for suspense's sake -- He's breezed through some game challenges. And he always says when he remembered playing the game as a child, then breezes through it (until reaching the point he gave up on long ago).

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 23, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

He probably never owned it as a kid, or had any friends who owned it (it happens -- you couldn't just freely buy/get games back then, nor was it common knowledge which games were best. Remember the America Zarigani guy who said his friend couldn't decide whether to get Dragon Quest or Super Monkey Adventures, only to end up buying the latter?).

Super Mario 3 was a very early episode, too. Season 2, episode 10... he's gotten much better at games since then, and the Wii wasn't out back then either. He may be the "God of Akihabara," "Prince of the Gaming World," "Retro Game Master" among other nicknames now but he was waaay more of a gaming amateur in the early seasons.

I could really relate to him at the beginning of the Milon's Secret Castle challenge when he said "I owned this as a kid!" because that was one of the few NES games I had growing up, too, and it goes to show not everyone had access to the classics growing up. Some of us were stuck with shoddy games like Milon's Secret Castle (no offense to Milon's Secret Castle fans -- that game is just cruel).

ETA: vvv That's something else I can relate to, because the first game console I owned was an NES and the second one I owned was a PS2. So I missed out on a whole crudload of titles, which I'm catching up on now.

To be fair, Milon's Secret Castle is...decent. But no matter how many times I tried it, I could never get past the second level... and I still can't. Don't think I ever beat the first boss, either. It brings back a lot of bittersweet memories, and I say screw that game!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 23, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I think that's where a lot of the show's appeal comes from -- how non-intimidating it is to casual gamers. It's inviting to those who struggle with Super Mario World or didn't have the privilege of having access to a lot of games growing up. It's a good way to hook people into the series. "Do you like games but suck at them? Well so does he! There's no shame! Finally, a show for the amateurs!"

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Another thing to keep in mind is different games were popular in Japan. Dragon Quest completely trumps Final Fantasy, and I'm pretty sure kids in North America didn't go so wild over Xevious.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Arino's a fan of the Resident Evil series. I wouldn't mind seeing him play RE2, or some RE5 co-op between him and a former AD.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Wendell posted:

There's a few people that have been uploading them to youtube, so I've just been watching there.

A couple things about this surprise me actually. Back when TV-Nihon's subs were the only way you could watch GCCX in English, it was danged near impossible to find GCCX on video streaming sites. I think on Youtube, I came across a TV-Nihon one once -- which got taken down right away -- then I found the Ghosts 'n' Goblins and 53 Stations raws, which I subbed through Overstream, but those quickly went down too. I used to grab my episodes from Veoh but that account went away eventually. But now I see our subs everywhere on Youtube and there are a few sites like GamingCX that play them streaming. I think it's great that people have such easy access to the shows now and thus feeding the English fandom, but why aren't these dropping like flies?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Seith posted:

I noticed that forum goon Heran Bago posted a translation of the Mario Kart VC challenge in the old thread back in August and it seemed to fly under the radar in a big way.

Actually I was supposed to verify the subs for him (I think they were translated from Japanese to French to English?) but I completely forgot. I'll do that now.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Hey now, it's not going to be that bad! I don't play on translating every single line of text. Unless you want me to.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Bocc Kob posted:

Is Arino actually aware of the royalty characters that talk to him at the intro or the whole devil king saga thing?

I think the only time he mentions them is at the beginning of one of the seasons. After an especially long scene involving the royal family in the intro, he says something like "Sorry for that, the staff loves to make up elaborate stories with them."

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Really? Speaking as someone who's translated a bunch of those, I don't remember any repeats. They go in chronological order.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Ah that's right. That's why I don't remember any repeats -- they began going in chronological order starting from episode 12, which is the oldest episode I've translated so far. Whoops, upcoming release spoiler.

Incidentally those segments may be the least favorite ones for me to work on. The extra research slows me down a lot.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 28, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Bummer, man.

At least it's worth the effort.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I think I also remember Metal Slug in one of the arcade segments.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Corridor posted:

I'm still :stare: from that episode of SMB3 where he takes Sasano and Toujima to the baths. They're all just sitting there, loving naked, with tiny towels over their junk. Sasano and Touji look so incredibly awkward and say nothing the whole time. How did he even convince them do to that...

It's not a big deal at all in Japan, where bathing together is a common social thing to do. Seeing TV personalities nearly naked at an onsen on TV isn't entirely a rarity either.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The torrent is great. Downloading at 1 mb/s? Hell yeah.

Anyhoo I tried to count the number of times Metal Slug has appeared on an arcade trip.

And this is just off the top of my head. I'm SURE there are like five more episodes with Metal Slug in it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Niggurath posted:

Would someone be able to explain the misunderstanding between Arino saying goddess and the former AD saying goddess? Was Arino pluralizing it or was it something else, because while I did find it funny he kept saying it back incorrectly somehow, I wasn't exactly sure in what way it was wrong.

In Japanese: "It's Goddess" is Godesu desu (adding desu at the end of a word sentence makes it a polite "it's"). The repetition makes it sound funny so Arino kept saying "Godesudesu was great" like that's the name. Whenever Toujima corrected him saying Godesu! which sounds like "It's Go!" Arino would then reply Ah, Go?

An English equivalent to the exchange would be "It's It's A Wonderful Life." "Oh I love It's It's A Wonderful Life." "No, It's a Wonderful Life." "Oh right, A Wonderful Life." "No, it's It's a Wonderful Life." "It's It's A Wonderful Life?"

In my desperate translation of a "who's on first" moment in a completely different language: Arino keeps pluralizing it as "Goddesses," then says "Go do what?" when Toujima corrects him. When Toujima says "Goddess is the name" Arino goes back to "Goddesses" again.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 29, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Anyone looking to get into some Bomberman action, get Super Bomberman for SNES with Turbo Tap.

Random Stranger posted:

(I think around February 1 I'm going to have to tweak that section of the OP. There's an episode that has to be on the list that I had to take off of it. No, I can't recommend it now because the version I can point to is not the version people want to watch.)

Is it Ninja Gaiden? I think that's the best episode to introduce people to the show with. A fan-fave, and Arino's favourite episode too.

Joshuadel posted:

I know it's :filez:, but my hope is with Gawker's license expiring, the SA translation of S.O.S. will resurface. That episode made a convert out of my wife, who was as skeptical about the show's premise as anyone could be. I haven't checked out the Kotak version of the episode, but watching Arino yell at a bunch of doomed shipwreck survivors is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in the program.

No episode has made me laugh more than the S.O.S. episode. And yes I bought the game afterwards.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

Wasn't Super Mario Kart already translated before? Though now that I look at the file I already have compared to the one I'm downloading, this new one is larger in size. Higher quality video?

Heran Bago translated it to English from French subs he found online, and whoever did the initial French translations made a bunch of mistakes which I've fixed.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I was looking through the 24-hour Lemmings challenge and realized I miss Tsuruoka. I wish he was one of the many former ADs who make reappearances.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Looks like Kotaku's license may have expired and their videos are pulled. I'm still able to access them directly through Viddler by going directly to the ID code of the video but the videos aren't appearing on Kotaku's site or by searching in Viddler. I'm going to give it a little more time to be sure but there will probably be revised versions of some classic episodes soon.

SA GCCX presents Ninja Gaiden time?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Can anyone identify the post-challenge gift presentation song at the end of Kid Dracula? Handy youtube link. I've been trying to find it by Googling the lyrics to no avail.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

QwertySanchez posted:

Clea - Lucky Like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQfbLotXUI

edit: beaten dammit.

Awesome, it'll be added to the playlist.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

After a good couple of rounds of River City Ransom-style hockey on the Famicom, I realized how non-ergonomic those controllers are. They're tiny and the D-pad is too close to the edge. It's almost like they're made for teeny Japanese childrens' hands! Anyway my thumb was really tired afterwards. I don't know how Arino can do it.

Keyboard Kid posted:

I have to wonder about this. So many of the games featured are completely unnotable, and they take almost every sports game and highlight how amazing a certain feature of it is.

When there's about a billion identical baseball games to feature, you gotta do your best to make sure each one sounds special and unique somehow.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 8, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

double post

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I had no idea all the 24H segments combined would make up an hour-long video. Holy christ. I thought it'd be about 20-30 minutes. Good thing I decided to cut out most of the post-clip commentaries.

Gutcruncher posted:

Sorry, the Yooogle TransCriber CX knows no encouragement. It knows no happiness or pain. It knows only its programming.

That name amused me far more than it should. I want it as my new username. (Disclaimer: I'm kidding!)

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Can anyone source me the song at the beginning of Abe's cooking bit in the condensed special? I've heard it before on the 3 minute cooking show that I see on the Japanese channel here in Southern California (18.2 on OTA).

The theme song to the Kewpie 3-Minute Cooking show. Here's the full version. It's a daily 10-minute show that's been running for half a century. Seriously, it started in 1963 and it's still going, so it's pretty much THE cooking theme in Japan.

britt posted:

Abe's cooking segments were my favorite part of the compilation. They are actually compelling me to go out and get some ramen for lunch.

Yeah I want to try making his pan-fried ramen now. Or at least as close an equivalent as I can manage. The show should sell some form of Abe cook book. Speaking of which, according to an interview I read in their latest book, they're not going to do Abe's food booth again because they ended up not being able to break even with that venture.

I'm not going to translate entire segments out of the book but there's a lot of interesting bits of info like that, so I'm going to compile them and post them here bullet point-style soon.

makere posted:

BTW, what's VTR short for? Video Tape Recording?

Yes. It's a commonly used term over there.

Some more info from the book: for several seasons some staff (I forget whom) refused to switch from VHS to digital recording, mostly out of stubbornness and wanting to stick to traditional ways. I forget what season they switched to digital but it sure made editing a hell of a lot easier for the directors.

The White Dragon posted:

If there's anything this episode has taught me, it's that Japan loving loves Jack Bauer.

Have you seen the series of Jack Bauer Calorie Mate commercials or The Jack Bauer Song made to promote the season 6 rental DVD?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 12, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I have decided that Nakayama is my new favourite AD. I'm sorry, Inoue. Maybe if you had won that wrestling match.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

genredleader posted:

BTW, not to quibble, but why didn't you guys translate the temperature during the TaniixToujima bit? Some of us only know how to read temperature in Fahrenheit. :(

Because I translated it and I'm Canadian and I gotta say, it was nice to actually know precisely how hot a place is for once. I don't know Fahrenheit at all and I'm always forced to Google convert F to C when watching American stuff so while I considered translating the temperature, I thought to myself "well if anyone really wanted to know, they could just Google it I suppose, but it's obviously very hot." Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.

genredleader posted:

I also didn't know they had a Japanese version of Living the Vida Loca... It's just one of those things... You hear it all the time in Spanish but Japanese... That's new!

The Japanese version is called Goldfinger 99 and was sung by Hiromi Go.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Here's a quick question: What did Inouye (Inoko Max) do during the Takeshi's Challenge Live Challenge that got such a negative reaction?

All will be revealed when I do the 2-hour live special in its entirety eventually but he did his Beat Takeshi impression too many times and got too carried away with his singing when helping Arino with the karaoke part.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Now when I hear a wrestling or boxing match announcer I'm going to wish it was the same high-pitched unintelligible shriek that we saw introducing the ADs here. I have been spoiled.

I've watched that segment several times and only when I was watching the subbed version did I finally realize the shrieking announcer is saying "IN THA BLUE COOORNAAA" and "IN THA RED COOORNAAAA" right before the names. I can't believe I never noticed before. I suspect I would've caught it if I were more familiar with wrestling matches.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 14, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Lock posted:

That said, I believe it was in the wrestling match, metric and standard were mixed... I think height was given in feet and inches, but weight in kilos? I forget exactly, but it threw me for a minute.

Oh, that's right. I converted their heights to feet and inches because I'm pretty sure most English-speaking countries are more used to measuring people's heights in that instead of cm, and the cm measurement is already shown on-screen there by the show.

Hokuto posted:

I don't consider this a bad thing. The only measurement translation I've had an issue with was in the 52 Stations of the Tokaido episode, when the term li got translated as miles. A li is about half a kilometer, so calling it a mile is pretty significant difference. It was largely incidental in 52 Stations, so not a huge complaint.

Like Gutcruncher said, I only translated li to miles because a li is not commonly known and we like to avoid translator's notes as much as possible. Actually, 53 Stations was my very first translation job for SA GCCX, and I had translated half the episode already before I joined. In my original translation I used "Ten lis? Eight lis?" then put a note saying "one li = half a kilometer." That's because back when I used to translate GCCX by myself using Overstream.net, I didn't localize a lot of things. I kept in honorifics and didn't translate kachou, I think. Basically I was translating more for Japanese culture enthusiasts.

Gutcruncher timed and edited that one, and I can't remember if he changed li to miles or if that was my decision. Either way, despite the difference between measurements, in the end I decided it didn't matter. If we converted the measurement to miles, it would've been "Four miles? Three miles?" I suppose... but I didn't want to change the numbers. All the information that needs to be conveyed is that Kantaro is going very far and is wondering how many more X he has left to go, whether it be lis, miles or kilometers. It would only get ridiculous if it was translated to something extremely short like yards or meters, because that would ruin the meaning.

I'd also like to point out that in the Sunsoft remix album, there's a slow version of "Love Song for Momoko" (which I uploaded here) and they translated it to English as "Ten miles? Eight miles?" too. I was amused by that.

/end derail. The upcoming live birthday challenge was in slight danger of being postponed due to Arino getting the flu, but I asked Producer Kan about it last night and he said Arino is okay now. The challenge is going to as planned. I'm getting pretty excited for it and you'll all see why once you see it.

How many more days until the live show? Ten days?! Eight days?!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 14, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

That first half you translated actually had a lot of translator notes, and even had two whole sets of lyrics for the song with a little *use whichever you want*. I ended up actually doing a combination of the two, since there were parts in one translation that I liked more than parts in the other.

I just remembered that the .txt file that website gave me for your subs was literally just ONE HUGE WALL OF TEXT. That was a lot of fun to figure out!

I was actually hoping you'd use either one version of the other. Version A was the more accurate translation, whereas Version B had slight liberties taken with them but was written in a way so the song could be sung in English and match the music.

Gutcruncher posted:

I just remembered that the .txt file that website gave me for your subs was literally just ONE HUGE WALL OF TEXT. That was a lot of fun to figure out!

That's weird -- they should've been cut into separate lines at least. That's how it looked when I viewed the file.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Son Ryo posted:

Of course, I also feel like if you have to localize the names of the games and the characters you should translate the measurements too, to be consistent, but it doesn't matter that much.

This and that are different though. Talk about inches and centimeters/miles and kilometers and you won't get blank stares. But try talking to someone about Makaimura and Akumajo Dracula and Noko-Nokos... As for the stuff that hasn't been localized already, I think "Hokkaido Serial Murders" gives a better idea of what the game is about than "Hokkaido Rensatsu Satsujin Jiken."

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 14, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

As far as I'm aware there's no way to see the live challenge streamed online, so I can't see it until someone in Japan makes it available for download or streaming after the fact. But I do think we should try and get the fax number to send messages.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

That's right. I'm halfway to being cool. Just wait 'til someone gets a GCCX related avatar, caption AND username.

I'm late to comment on the 24-hour Lemmings documentary but I love that little laugh Arino gives right before saying "Too late!" when he has cooling pads stuck all over his face. It's a little maniacal.

For those wondering what Arino was referring to when he said "They look like Issei Fuubi Sepia!" when three Lemmings in a row were digging down together, I give you a blast from the 80's past: Issei Fuubi Sepia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNsl6oRYSSU

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 15, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Is there a karaoke version of Last Continue available anywhere? I know it's available to sing at karaoke places in Japan, but I've been looking for a version without the singing just for personal use.

Did you know AD Watanabe and AD Ito were the backup singers? Kinda sucks they got no recognition for it.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 15, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

rdbbb posted:

Here's a reaction image for no real reason:

We need a collection of best Arino reaction shots. These are the only two I've saved:

I also like Kibe's "Arino has missed his stop" look of disgust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Vlaphor posted:

Kacho No Bonus will always be my favorite (and I'm trying to add the .gif, but it's too big). It's on the Bonk's Adventure episode. Start at around 13:20 to get the full effect.

I made a smaller, more manageable version.