Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Battletoads, Ninja Turtles, and Bart vs the Space Mutants haunted a good chunk of my childhood. It's always good to watch someone suffer playing those for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Edit: And after I posted it occurred to me that there's a lot of people who have started watching after the long drought so won't understand the post. TV Nihon, the first group to do Game Center CX subbing, has released another episode. I honestly thought that they had completely given up on their translation given the extremely long time between releases but there it is.

I think it's fair to say that the show's popularity in the fan community has been rekindled thanks to you guys which may have spurred TV Nihon. Then again this is TV Nihon, and with their track record it takes them a year or two per episode. Whatever the case I'm pleased to see more GCCX.

Thanks for linking this!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I really do hope TV-Nihon pushes out episode 12 within a reasonable time-frame as that's a personal favorite of mine.

To quote myself from the previous thread:

quote:

Episode 12 突撃!風雲たけし城 (Totsugeki! Fuun Takeshi-jou!). I'm not sure if he's used it in any others. It looked exhausting to play with and it did a number on his hair.

Edit for pictures:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I know I say this every time but I'm really excited for one of the episodes we've got in the pipeline. It's an episode that no one has requested but that's because people didn't realize how awesome this episode is.

No, it's not Wagyan Land but that's a great episode too that everyone is going to love.

I'm hoping this is going to be another dating sim.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Flashback was one of the most requested episodes. Glad to see it up!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Obeast posted:

I don't know why, but I didn't feel like I was enjoying the Flashback episode as much as I should have. It had nothing to do with the translation (you guys did a great job as always), but I think it felt like they cut out a lot of the stuff in editing, especially near the beginning of the game. But, to be fair, I never actually played Flashback, so I didn't connect with the game that much, and I've been having kind of an off night tonight (probably because school starts tomorrow/today), so maybe it's just me. :shobon:

Yeah, I'm feeling you. I personally thought Arino looked tired throughout the episode excluding the segments. I just attributed it towards the pacing of the game itself, though.

Speaking of the segments, I like to think I have a pretty open mind when it comes to the food Arino eats and sometimes even crave it (53 Stations, Cafes, that Ramen Noodle Machine); however, those egg wrapped noodles with a side of red beans to drink for dessert -- no thanks. When he opened the egg: :can:

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 19, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's a shame about the whole Youtube thing. The old SAGCCX Youtube channel was how I got hooked on the show as it was so easily accessible.

I don't mind other people posting it on other sites or hosting it on Youtube, but it does bother me when it looks like they are taking credit for your work (this happened a few times on other forums, as found on the previous thread) or when there's no deliberate effort to show that this was a fansub done by SA (that GCenter site). You guys put a lot work into these, so it's a bit irksome to see these things happen.

I think one of the reasons people also take advantage of this is due to the subtly that the SA team references itself only once at the end of the episode. Someone explained that this is a sign of a good translation team to be non-intrusive. You should release an episode with a giant loving obnoxious watermark. :v:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Fantastic job as ever, guys! That was one hell of an episode.

I had no issues with the first torrent and didn't notice many syncing problems. I suppose it takes a trained eye.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I like that Arino was holding the second controller imitating what's on the screen while the AD was driving. I've had a few friends who used to do this back in the day. :3:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gutcruncher posted:

Whats that, Random Stranger? No new episode today? hahahahah HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAH

Takeshi's Castle! Translated by Zari-gani and timed by Gutcruncher

http://depositfiles.com/files/1y3uzquq1
http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=281819

You beautiful bastards. This is one of my personal favorites.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I've always just let it slide because he's a comedian and perverted humor isn't just isolated in Japan alone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of him bullying his overweight female AD, as discussed in the previous thread, but him playfully asking over the phone what the girl looks like and her cup-size was more outlandishly creepy than cruel. That poo poo happens in the states, too; hell Howard Stern built his empire just by doing all of the above and then some.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
He was confused as much as I was after he bit into it and pulled back a mouth full of cheese. That Manga Meat did not gently caress around.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Now when I hear a wrestling or boxing match announcer I'm going to wish it was the same high-pitched unintelligible shriek that we saw introducing the ADs here. I have been spoiled.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

StoryTime posted:

Season packages would probably be the best bet. It allows the finished season torrents to stabilize, while keeping the total number of torrents low enough to seed. It'd be unfeasible to efficiently seed all of the individual episodes separately, due to tcp congestion issues.

Nthing this suggestion. The previous thread had "goon seasons" and I had all my files organized based on those. I'm such a nerd.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Pyrovile posted:

It's not really a reaction shot but I was watching the Ultraseven episode the other day and whenever they went back to the challenge from another segment this part always killed me:

If anyone happens to have a bigger version of that gif that would be amazing.

I swore I made a few of those in the previous thread, yet waffleimages pretty much ate them ( https://wi.somethingawful.com/af/afad23cc00cd337b782954458aa851607d8ec869.gif ). My external drive crapped out on me a month or two ago taking all my GCCX stuff with it. I haven't had the motivation to grab all the original episodes, subs, and fan stuff again.

I'll always have the Kotak stuff though. :suicide:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Chief posted:

Pretty sure I made it. I definitely made the avatar sized one. When I make gifs for people I usually don't keep the original version and the only other version of that gif I have is the same resolution but is 70kb.

Right, like I said I swore I made a few of those, not that one in particular. There's 2 Ultraman Episodes and I believe they both have a growing Arino. My proof is dead thanks to Waffleimages and my hard drive though.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

cat doter posted:

Wow, this looks like it could have been a potential classic, yet somehow it never had a PAL/US release? What a giant misstep.

It's impressive for a nes game in a lot of ways but for some reason that fact he jumps a lot like megaman bothers me.

It came out on the tail-end of the NES's lifespan (1992). Chances are it would probably have been overlooked like many of the games that came out for the system during that time period. And by this point SunSoft had a mixed track record depending on who you asked. Blaster Master and Spy Hunter were great, but you also had things like Fester's Quest, Xenophobe, and Batman. It would have been interesting to see how it sold, though.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

You thought Batman was a bad game? Really?

Yes. :colbert:

I'm hyped about trains now.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hahaha, am I going crazy or has the staff wisen up to Arino's bad early celebration habit after defeating a boss? The arcade segment was fantastic, too.

Good stuff as always, guys!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
And it begins.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That slime really is fantastic.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

schuhart posted:

Arino is playing quite well!
When did he last challegne this game?

I love this game and the sequel, the rocketbelt is just so much fun to play. But Im not sure exactly how far I got with it, probably not this far.

Yeah I was going to post that he's not doing half bad right now all things considered. This particular part of the game is especially tough (the rocketbelt segments that is).

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I hit my printscreen right as he was bowing. :doh:

Here's the fax wall so far:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Arino is having none of this:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Man With Scissor posted:

Did I understand that correctly? He only needed 1 point to beat this level?

Yup! I didn't get the screenshot in time. :(

Hopefully someone grabbed it because that was bullshit.

Edit: ^^^ Hahaha, there you go.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Arino wasn't very happy with that 1 point:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

zari-gani posted:

Yesss, another original song from the show! In the style of an old anime show...

Haha, the lyrics mention Abe's food booth failing to make a profit.

Apparently the song took three months to make and Inoue spent a day making the music video.

Hahaha, poor Abe. This video was pretty drat funny.

Edit: VVVV hahaha, you caught the best part.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 24, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

genredleader posted:

Well, that's it for me. I wanna stay up and see how he does and stuff but... I have work in eight hours. :( Good luck, Arino, happy birthday, and I hope to wake up to news that you finished Pilotwings. Good night, people! :xd:

Same here, I need to get to sleep. Keep these pictures and updates coming!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man I knew I should have stayed up for the rest of the challenge. Things exploded right as I left. I was looking forward to that Let's Cook With Abe segment, too.

Thanks everyone for the recaps, screenshots, commentary, the faxes, and of course that poster. Holy poo poo that poster. Also for shrgnatlas' high quality stream.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Tossing my hat in with the DVD crowd. I'm also going to force some friends of mine to purchase this when it's on sale, and I'm pretty jazzed to have a physical copy of this show now. I'm also just going to make a congratulations macro for zar-gani. :v:

Hokuto posted:

Man, now I'm even more exasperated that my contractor was passed over for the initial translation of those Kotaku episodes. My contractor told them I was familiar with the material, ready to go at a moment's notice, and even ready to work at a discount to do them, but Kotaku went with that other contractor's work instead.

Congratulations, and good luck on getting those original transcripts if they still exist. I've never managed to get one for a show like that.

This sucks because you did a lot for this show in the initial thread.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

MaskedTai posted:

Have any of you guys thought about doing a GCCX styled show/event/thing of your own?

I've always had a really dumb, even embarrassing, idea that has been at the back of my head for a bit over a decade for a show that would garnish at best maybe 2 viewers. GCCX happens to feed this idea every time I watch the show, which is unhealthy as its something I conjured up when in my late delusional teens. I've always wanted my own painting program. Wait! Bare with me here.

My idea is spurred on by my countless viewings of The Joy of Painting. The premise of this show would be two talentless painters facing each other in a paint-off. The way the show would work is both painters were presented with a random local access painting show that they would have to paint in real time as God & Bob Ross intended, head-to-head, indian-yellow-to-indian-yellow, to the best of their abilities. All prep work would be done before hand with all the proper paints and tools at their disposal for that particular painting; this way the artists could jump right in without any foreknowledge of what they were painting. The winner's painting would be decided by vote based on how much someone was willing to pay for each painting/trainwreck.

I know it's not game related but I always pictured Arino as a guy who is hopelessly bad at video games, is presented with a blind challenge, and yet has managed to grow in skill & appreciation. Themes that I share with my horrible idea.
:goonsay:

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 6, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GidgetNomates posted:

I'm one of those two viewers then because I would absolutely watch this.

50% of my audience! :3:

vkeios posted:

He also likes to comment about how he's totally better than Arino at games he's never played.

I think this is fair especially when watching Arino's earlier challenges and/or any game with bullets on the screen.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You beautiful bastards. I have a feeling this video is going to make me want to yell at my screen and then boot up Mega Man.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

For some reason I think Inoko MAX has the most depressing life...

It's probably for the best he celebrates alone. If Arino stopped by he would just make fun of his girl pants again.

Dominic White posted:

I'm such a shameless dork. When Arino asks 'Is that a Zaku?' I immediately reply (under my breath) 'That's no Zaku, boy. No Zaku!'.

And then he says it.

Sign of a wasted youth, eh?

Zaku's are from Gundam, right? What's the context of that line, anyhow?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing like coming home to a new episode of Game Center CX, thanks a million as always guys. Torrent is working just dandy on my end.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I love you guys for putting these on torrents; the episodes download in less than a few minutes. And with that said I'm pretty sure I'm now scratching the bottom of the barrel in ways of praising the SA team. Although I'm sure I can come up with a few more if I ever revisit those Kotaku episodes.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Ahh, I remember enjoying this one streamed. I wouldn't mind seeing him try Pilot Wings 64 one of these days.

Speaking of the King Slimes, isn't this like his third? He's going to have an army of these things.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Caitlin posted:

Hooray my lovely Japanese worked! He just seems like such a genuinely nice guy, especially to his fans. :buddy:

I can't read this jibba jabba, what does this say?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

It isn't on Japan's map of America, I don't think they know about it.

Hahaha, I get a kick out of this map. I'm kind of surprised to see no Area 51, yet Carlsbad Caverns is included and El Paso (where I was born). I wasn't aware either of these were that well known outside of Texas/New Mexico. What the hell is going on with Saint Paul?

:laugh: Indianapolis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

cronox2 posted:

Nah, they're too busy writing reviews of Celery with Peanut Butter on top. You know, gaming news.

:psyduck:

The first thing I checked was to see if this was some sort of April Fool's thing, and then I checked the replies with some small hope that the community would tell this guy to gently caress off. Still the same old cesspool, I see.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far. There's a few others I'd complain about...

Agreed, there's a lot of Pilotwings hate, and not enough love for the wonderful nuances that was early Mode7.