Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Davzz posted:

Is there really any more Dating Sims that Arino can do? They seem really hard to fit in the format the show is using, along with RPGs. I'm honestly surprised they haven't done Dragon Quest 1, considering the visual themes the intermissions use.

Yeah, DQ 1 would be perfect, but I would guess that Square-Enix is not keen on letting it happen with any of their properties. There hasn't been any titles by them on the show yet, has there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Obeast posted:

Edit: For anyone who enjoyed Mario Crossover, there's also the recently released Abobo's Big Adventure, which is really well done and actually pretty tough.

I've been stuck on the last level of this for a few days. The swap of where the player character and enemy normally are is completely throwing me off.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Obeast posted:

The only difference between the difficulties in MM2 is how much health the bosses have. Normal mode bosses in the US version have less health whereas the hard mode bosses have the "normal" amount of health.

Nope, there's far more differences than that. Normal mode has the enemy item drop rate increased by like 300% or so, resulting in the player obtaining 3 large energy refills in a single corridor. And in hard mode, several enemies have changes in their graphic and behavior when hit for the first time (the stack of cans and the seashell dudes for example).

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Haha, my heart dropped when you posted that someone was putting translation effort into 9 hours of that live challenge.

Well, congrats on the translation job zari and I'm totally looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
If anyone wants some more 53 Stations of the Tokaido goodness, a TAS was just published. You know, in case you wanted to see the entire game quickly or sing along one more time.
http://tasvideos.org/2045M.html

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
You're wonderful zari-gani! I vote for the Rally episode.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Any chance of a mirror for the Ghouls n Ghosts episode? The clover torrent refuses to play nicely with any torrent client I use.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

kimpira posted:

Star Tropics is another title that amazingly never got a Japanese release, but it's English-heavy enough that it might be a bit more challenging to play.

I gave Arino Star Tropics when I met him so I can always dream that he'll challenge it someday. :allears:

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
What a great episode. Going to go play Super GnG again now...

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Really text heavy games like Dragon Quest used an all Japanese text password because they had to use Japanese characters anyway.

Wait, the Japanese Dragon Quest used a password system? Talk about feeling like a spoiled American child.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Dragon Quest's password system is a fond memory for many Japanese gamers who grew up with the series. It's called a "resurrection spell" in the game, and that's what the Last Continue lyrics "schools don't teach how to cast resurrection spells" is referring to.

All my memories of NES passwords is of unbridled fury of when I couldn't decipher my six-year old sloppy penmanship. Is that a "s" or "S" or "5"? "o" or "O" or "0"?

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Oh nice! Please post your thoughts on GCCX 2 once you play it. I've love to hear how you think it compares to the first one.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
He knew the bosses would be the trickiest parts for Arino, so he started with an easy boss to buster and followed the boss weakness path. Not too surprising.

The bosses in MM4 at first seem to be much, much tougher (at least I thought so went it first came out) because most of them have zero hesitation to body slam into you over and over again, homing in on your position unlike most bosses from the first three games. For a player that is terrible at dodging, it's a nightmarish E-tank slurp-a-thon.

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 4, 2013

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Japanese Karnov had CUTSCENES? The world view of my inner seven year old self has just been shattered.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

FreezingInferno posted:

This thing looks hard as hell and part of me wants to try it now.

The episode was so fun I had to try it out too. After watching Arino's playthrough I knew what trap and boss strategies to use, so I managed to get to level 5 on the first try. Good game, but yeah, as posted before there's some hidden moves and powerups that would have really helped him out. For instance, if you have the katana and get a second one (I think?), your attack gains a 1/3 screen range projectile-like thing. Those bombs that seemed useless? They can 3 or 4 shot the tank boss. I was playing the US version though, not sure if that matters. I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Thanks again for the translations and timing work you guys keep gifting us with!

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

I had no clue there were so many detective games on the Famicom that never left Japan. I think we only got the two Deja Vu games and Princess Tomato in America.

Shadowgate, Deja Vu AND Uninvited! (and Princess Tomato)

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Awesome! I've been checking this thread six times a day since it was mentioned a new translation was in the works. Cheers!

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Thanks so much for still knocking these translations out! The staff interaction was great- I know the quiz episodes are among the most work intensive but it's appreciated.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

mikeycp posted:

I would love to see him play Star Tropics more than anything else, but unfortunately it did not get a Japanese release. :(

Me too! That's why I gave him a copy of Startropics at the LA event. I keep hoping that they'll use it one day. :ohdear:

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Ganty posted:

Was there a StarTropics episode? I was sure there was but I can find no evidence of it.

Well, I handed Arino a copy of Startropics at the LA event several years ago... there's always hoping he'll get around to it.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

This is so awesome! I bought a copy for my kid's birthday next month.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Oh nice Pizza Pop! Just saw this game for the first time during last week's SGDQ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCxZbnFd9vU

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Oh cool! Thanks for the translations and welcome.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Can't wait to watch it, thank you!

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Hooray a new episode! Thank you so much!

Edit: ahaha, Abe really gives Arino some sass over the waterfall stage.

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 1, 2020

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Can't wait to watch this with my kids, thanks for the translation!

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Thanks so much for the translation! Great episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Excellent episode, thank you so much!