Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mister Chief posted:

They added all the references to Die Hard for the US release right? I assume the Japanese one was more of a homage and the US release just made it official.

Yeah, the Japanese version had a dude dressed (kind of) like Bruce Willis, and took place in a Skyscraper for the same reason Shinobi had a dude who kind of looked like Batman. I guess storming a skyscraper full of bad guys was just an interesting setting for a beat-em-up, and the paralells to a popular movie let people use their imaginations to "get into" the game a little more?

When the chance to use the license came up, and Sega put one and one together, they just ran with it. The fact that the American version is so disconnected from the movie in ways that licensed games almost always try to avoid makes me think they had no intention to tie it to Die Hard when they were producing it.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Does anyone want this in resolutions that aren't 1440 x 900 (The resolution of winners)?

Tyma fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 16, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Midboss posted:

Well hell, this would've been much cleaner for an avatar. Oh well. I'd appreciate a 1920x1080 version.

I was too much doing Photoshop to tab into the thread and notice your post, sorry :{

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

It's a good read, and if we've learnt anything, it's that we should film 10-minute recordings of someone going into an arcade and saying "Oh! I rememebr this! This is Windjammers!", before playing it badly and then selling the footage on DVDs!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Daikoku posted:

Wow, I had never heard of this until now. As a game it looks pretty impressive, the cutscenes look great for NES/Famicom, and you have a whole bunch of different force powers. On the other hand, you have bosses like Giant Scorpion pretending to be Darth Vader.

It's way weirder than Paris Dakar Rally. It's kind of like Mega Man, but it feels exactly like Alex Kidd.

Here's the Chrontendo segment that covers it.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 30, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Corridor posted:

Great Detective is a reference to Sherlock Holmes.

There's actually an incredibly weird kusoge game called "Action & Adventures Sherlock Holmes" on the Famicom, where Holmes runs around cities murdering every pedestrian in sight, so he can grind enough money to take a train to Edinburgh and chill out in the sewers, where he kills hundreds of bad guys who all have an unskippable dialogue with him as they die.

It's magical!

None of the 300 generic Famicom "Detective" GCCX is riffing on have anything to do with that, though :{

edit : Oh, apparantly the sequal to Action & Adventures Sherlock Holmes is a Generic Famicom Detective Game. Was it notable within the genre?

Tyma fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 4, 2012

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

I must find this game and beat it when my Japanese is good enough. What's the Japanese title?

Action & Adventures Sherlock Holmes : Hakushaku Reijou Yuukai Jiken

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

MUTEkI posted:

That'd be really cool; hopefully they start at the first game -- have they done a Master System game for a challenge yet?

*fingerscrossedforfmmodule*

They've only mocked it horribly in other segments :D

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

retromonk posted:

drat shame. The first Phantasy Star was worlds ahead (heh) of a lot of other RPGs at the time.

I'd like to see Arino's face as he starts hitting the floor traps in the later dungeons. ABUNAI!

I don't think they've ever mentioned the game itself in a bad light, but the "Let's see how bad this obscure console was" segment was pretty damning.

The console flopped, and was quickly taken out back and shot, in order to get the Genesis and Game Gear games onto shelves, There are almost as many Rare games on the NES as there are Master System games released in Japan. I don't think they got over 70.

Japan never got any of the Sonic games, Wonderboy III : Dragon's Trap, Golden Axe Warrior, or any of the Disney games. They got Phantasy Star and.. uh.. yeah.. I think they'll play MSX games before Master System games :{

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

zari-gani posted:

This was mentioned briefly in the Parappa ep. I'll just leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqCXstAseSs#t=1m45s

Next week's game is the unique action title 'Dance Dance Revolution X2'. Will Arino clear Valkyrie Dimension to get the "good ending"? :ohdear:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

In fact, they made one other Simpsons game for DOS computers: Bart's House of Weirdness.

I've never played it or heard of it.

If you like kusoge, then oh boy, are you in for a treat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj9_SDDCtfM

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Muffinlord posted:

It's not that the sprites are terribly complex, it's that they're animated at a high framerate, there's a lot going on during most of the game, and the game uses a good number of scaling effects that I think would be too complex for the SNES to manage.

I could be wrong about this, I just think it was too advanced for a solid home port at the time.

There's definately no way the SNES could handle the arcade game. The main problem is the huge number of intricate sprites in the background. Any SNES port would probably animate a single player sprite, and maybe two or three enemy sprites at most. All of the backgrounds would become static, and things like the doors opening and hitting you as you walk past them would have to go. The characters who run around in the background would probably have to become imanimate parts of the background.

If you think about how Turtles In Time and Final Fight were ported, a port of The Simpsons just seems absolutely mindblowing - the game is almost specifically designed as a marquee arcade experience, and even if it was stripped down to a one-player game, there are often times when you can have 5 large, animated sprites on screen, none of which are even enemies.

I don't think scaling effects of framerate even have to come into the equation - the SNES has always been historically bad at porting belt-scrolling games with a large number of sprites.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

Was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles popular in Japan?

Japan never had any exposure to the comics / cartoon / toys / anything else when the Famicom game was released, so it wasn't even released as a TMNT game, but "Fierce Ninja Turtle Legend". Every game after the first one was released under the TMNT name.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

retromonk posted:

I forgot Yuzo Koshiro did the music for LotW.

Is there any work he's done that isn't good?

His really recent videogame stuff (everything after Dance Dance Revolution) is probably some of the most unconventional, atmospheric and engrossing music in modern gaming :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJMG5H1hKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhwmY1MByk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnDc2Sg4e9U

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Consumer Software. It's just an abbreviation the Japanese use to denote Console games from Arcade games.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

One thing I've noticed is that whenever Arino eats something on a trip he always goes "Ah! Omae!" or however you spell it. He always says it the same way and with the same inflection. Is that a customary Japanese thing or what?

It's customary to say it as a token of gratitude if someone has given you the food, or if the person who prepared the food is watching you eat it. It doesn't mean anything, and you say it even if the food is terrible.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Shock Trooper posted:

NAM-1975 also has a last boss that gives you instant game over if you lose all your lives, which is kind of a dick move after all the unlimited continues for the rest of the game.

Nam 1975 seems like a perfect fit, especialy with limited continues. Very, very few people have seen the end of that game, and the actual payoff is hilarious.

The last boss is absolutely brutal, and pretty much requires you to die to the last wave of enemies on the final level, so that you can continue at the very last possible chance you get, and face the boss with a full set of lives.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

xamphear posted:

Thanks for the heads up, but unless someone tells me that this is equal to the SAGCCX quality level, I'll probably just wait. Even despite how much I want to see this challenge.

It's incredibly high quality, and he seems to have gone out of his way to make it consistant with SA GCCX releases in terms of naming conventions, and the idea of having Arino quote text from the US version of the game, rather than what's actually written on the screen.

It's really, really, really, really well done.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 1, 2013

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Flint_Paper posted:

I know the fringe tends to be a little more lenient about things like this, but from previous experience I know that if you want to use music you need ot be paid up with the PRS &c. so it's a bit of a funny one. Definitely wouldn't have Mario on the poster with great splashes of "COME SEE THIS BECAUSE OF THIS MAN" or similar.

Instead of trying to tiptoe around copyright, I'd reccomend going straight to Konami, who have always been cool with public performances of their games. I'd contact them, explain the premise of the show, and that you'd like to find 2 or 3 cherished videogames suitable for playing on the show. Offer to help promote their brand via the show, and put up posters in the venue for whatever their latest game is, and I'm sure they'll let you use their games and put their characters on the poster.

Do you have PMs? If so, I can get you the contact details of their UK brand manager if you think working with a publisher directly could help get the show going.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Is that one game in a series?

It's HAL's only 'Detective Murder Adventure' game, which is mindblowing considering how many were on the market at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

A lot of people also consider Geo Storm to be the first game in the Metal Slug series, but given the important the show places on publisher lineage, they're definitely talking about Metal Slug X.