Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I can't get enough of this show! Thanks so much for the translations, so far I've watched up to Adventure Island from season 4.

Small correction for the OP:

The link to episode 80 - Kirby's Adventure, is currently going to the same URL as episode 73 and should be changed to http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=223227

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Random Stranger posted:

Thank you for pointing that out. I've already made the necessary change.

One more:

In the Season 6 section, the Kotaku version of Mighty Bomb Jack is listed twice, as episode 39 and episode 40.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Corridor posted:

Tamage's my favourite too. And you get to see the staff a lot more. Sucks that they aren't in the DVDs.

I'm watching the Shadow Land episode right now - his interactions with kids during that segment is so cute.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Primoman posted:

I actually should have specified that I would like to know if any of the PSN/XBLA releases are worthwhile.

If the SNES game is still the "definitive" Bomberman, then I would be interested in the Netplay feature. Never messed with it, but if it's easy to set up, I'm down.

10-player Saturn Bomberman is the definitive version. The XBLA/PSN has nothing on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmaU_Ap7YaQ

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Just finished watching Super Fantasy Zone. I am going to be so sad when I run out of new episodes to watch. :(

Some OP corrections:
- Nintendo Channel episode 7 is listed (and filenamed) as "Mario Kart" but should be "Super Mario Kart"
- Episode SP1 featuring Pokemon Ruby is listed as being on the "Gameboy Advanced" but should read "Game Boy Advance"

I ended up trying out The Quest of Ki thanks to the show.. The jumping is so floaty and weird! I want to keep playing it though.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Did you watch that off of Kotaku's site? Because the videos don't load there for me anymore and I want to be certain of what's happening.

No, I downloaded it from somewhere a couple of weeks ago.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

But enough talk! Have episode 62, Kid Dracula!

I knew it was a good idea to stay up all night watching MST3k episodes.. Thanks!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

It's likely an ignorant error; they creators may not have known how offensive it really is.

Is it really that offensive to be a vampire fighting against a klansman? :drac:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Unless he joins your party or something, I haven't watched the video or played the game, I don't quite get the problem.

Haha, oh god, that would be so horrible if he joined your team a la Castlevania 3..

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Primoman posted:

That is weird. I thought it was a Japanese-developed game to begin with.

I guess maybe they left it as English for authenticity's sake, or they wrote it for English speakers first and couldn't be bothered to translate it back to Japanese.

Maybe the audience for boxing games isn't very big in Japan. The third arcade game (Arm Wrestling) was north america-only, and the snes game came out in Japan four years late - and not even on a normal cartridge release.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Tyma posted:

At what point did games start introducing random elements to enemy behavior? I'm thinking it was around the SNES era that "Artificial Intelligence" became a pop culture concept, and enemy behavior as became much more random, as designers tried to give the impression that their games were "thinking"?

Heh, AI popular culture started no later than 1968 with 2001: A Space Odyssey.. Maybe earlier with some Asimov stories! (And Video Chess on the 2600 can play against a human.)

But here's the thing - you don't really have "true" randomness in your basic computer. It's all based on a seed value, that, if you re-enter that value by way of exact playback, will produce the same output.

So, as an example, let's say that you start a theoretical fighting game in MAME while recording input:

1. Game powers on
2. You wait five seconds
3. You press the insert coin button
4. You wait two seconds
5. You press start
6. AI character X is your first opponent

Feeding that exact same input into the game is always going to produce the same output. But if you had waited seven seconds in step 5, the output would've changed, depending on where the opponent-determining random seed value was coming from.

The seed value could also be from number of inputs since X, number of seconds since Y date (if there's an internal clock), and any number of other things.

If you're reproducing all of that exactly, it doesn't matter what the game is - whether it's deterministic like Pac-Man or non-deterministic like Ms. Pac-Man.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I went back to watch a few of the season 1 short episodes that I'd skipped, and came across a neat game.

It's shown briefly at the beginning of the Star Force ep: Binary Land. Basically it's a puzzle game where you control two characters at the same time, in two asymmetric halves of a screen:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMwiko71qVw

I just tried it today, it's pretty fun!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Darn. You discovered the secret! Its a combination of Youtubes auto captioning and Googles auto translating. We believe this is the wave of the future and all subtitles will be created in this fashion in the near future.

Can we fax in messages of translation encouragement? :)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

The best way is the way is to start with the Documentary since that covers the whole show. Then watch the compilation and if you haven't had enough of Last Continue yet then watch Last Continue (another reason for not including it).

Which ep has the doc?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

bleep posted:

There is a stream of Arino playing Virtual Console games right now. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nintendo-direct-2012-2-22

That was great! I wonder if there's an option to have any of the enhanced stuff show up.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

How the hell do so many of you have a 3DS? :psyduck:

I still play games on the Virtual Boy from time to time but the 3DS makes me want to hurl.

Thanks for the new episode - I'm starting to run out of unwatched ones, and Pac-Man 2 is so wonderfully weird.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Fun fact: the 3D is optional and you can shut it off any time.

I know, I know, but then it's like "well why am I going to spend $170 on a 3D console if I can't use the 3D?". I tried Mario Kart 7 at EB with the setting very low and it was still extremely uncomfortable. :(

Is it really common to just not use the 3D at all?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Well, think of it like this: there are some folks that bought a DS for games that didn't really utilize the touch screen. v:shobon:v

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. If Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright ever comes out here I could see getting a 3DS with the 3D off for that.

Did anyone record the GB Donkey Kong stream earlier today? I caught the last couple of minutes, and I realized later that the ustream video was much higher quality than the SD version that would eventually hit the Wii.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Man, I'd totally forgotten the weird music in Pilotwings.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

schuhart posted:

Which episode is this Tamage from? Its one of my favourites?
Is there any particular reason they are showing this one? Is it a favourite of Arino's or is it because of the technical problems?

That's the tamage for episode 40 btw, Gargoyle's Quest II.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

schuhart posted:

Edit: nice memory techknight.

I would love to take credit for that, but I just googled for "batting cage" and restricted the search to one of the episode guide sites. :)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I think the stream I'm watching is lower-quality, heh.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Haha, is he saying je t'aime in frustration?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Yes!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Haha yesss, I still have 900 yen in my japanese itunes account!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Obeast posted:

I'm really tempted to buy these, but I don't want to end up hating them because my lack of knowing Japanese will get in the way of me ever beating them. :smithicide:

Yeah.. I downloaded taiko no tatsujin some time ago and I have no idea how to restore the one or two purchased song packs I bought for it. :)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

rdbbb posted:

Just found them and haven't tried yet, but probably not. they look like ports of the Japanese cell phone ones, so don't expect Retro Game Challenge or anything.

Just played em.. These are very, very simple games. I feel a little ripped off, but no one is going to have trouble understanding how to play.

In this one you just have to duck objects thrown at various heights:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Capped a few:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

schuhart posted:

Cheers for taking one for the team Techknight, what is the animation quality like?

Not horrible, but just sort of cheapo flash game kind of stuff.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Wow!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I think I'm at my limit for how much Pilotwings I can watch, even in the background. :)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Did anyone see more Canadian faxes? My faxzero attempts failed, and the only other one I saw was your slime one, zari-gari.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

jyrque posted:

So lately I've got the worst itch for NES era gaming so I wanted to ask you guys how you play your games. Some of you have mentioned you've ordered online some games Arino has faced and I'd like to get into them as well. Specifically I'd like to buy a NES/Famicom because emulators ironically can't emulate that pristine KACHO feel to gaming.

The greatest secret from the Retro Game Discussion thread: http://global.rakuten.com/en/category/toys_games/video_games/

Go there and browse categories or search directly - you get aggregate results from a ton of Japanese shops and shipping is worldwide. If you want Famicom stuff for non-ripoff prices it's the place to go.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

zari-gani posted:

Oh my god. Law of the West for the Famicom. Bought!

Oh weird, I used to play that on the C64 a lot.. Didn't know there was a Famicom version.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

So I skipped ahead and watched the Densha de Go episode.. There was only the briefest clip used, but now I've got that goddamm TRAIN TRAIN song from Guitar Freaks 6th Mix stuck in my head. :argh:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I don't want to open a can of worms, but is it just that there's no gender bias in fat jokes over there, or it is just a different cultural sense of humour period?

(ie here it's usually in poorer taste to make a fat joke about a woman than a man, owing to the difference in how overweight women are treated vs men by society at large.)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Ledneh posted:

Is the phrase "unique game" their code for "this game sucks but we can't cheese off our benefactors on TV" or something? I've seen it applied a few times to games they've shown and I just noticed they said it about Out of This World and now I'm sad :smith:

I don't know how negative they meant that to be in this case, but let's be honest about how good it is as a game...

The atmosphere and presentation deserve to be remembered fondly, but in terms of actual game mechanics and controls, Another World is user-hostile in the extreme.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Which just goes to show how little impact any kind of computer gaming had over there.

Wow. Did anyone in Japan play a computer game after Wizardry? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

or x1200 for us 16:10 viewers?

We're a dying breed, friend. :(