Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

cronox2 posted:

Chiming in to agree with the rest that it's a great OP. Only thing I'd add would be some of the weird complaints from the last thread, or that terrible quote from Kotak's introduction post about GameCenter being what Japan should be (I don't remember it off hand).

I cant find the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of "It shows what Japan is capable of when it does things totally on its own!"

I know Im saying it wrong because the original quote dripped with Kotakus usual Japan Dick Sucking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

You know, I would have lived to use this as Abe's picture...

But he really needed a motorcycle shot.

If I had talent Id make a monocle pop off his face.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

There's a real hazard in working on the show where you'll get the game tunes stuck in your head. You listen to the same fifteen second clip of music over and over and over and you just can't get rid of it.

53 Stations was HORRIBLE for this. First the tune was stuck in my head, and then the singing started.

My brain wouldnt shut up even a week later.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Arino has faced many difficult challenges in the past, and impaled himself on a great many spike traps. What if the entire game was made of spike traps? Here we will find out in Quest of Ki!!

Zari-gani once again proves shes an android or something and provides the translation, while I once again prove how utterly sexy (in a rugged way) I am by timing it.

Episode 54: Quest of Ki
http://www.multiupload.com/JYFT4XZEFD

Sub file
http://www.multiupload.com/6P5O5GQHWM

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

In case anyone didnt know what that weird box the special giveaway Mario Game and Watch is supposed to be, that would be Disk-Kun, the mascot for the Famicom Disk system.

He made the normally boring "Dont mistreat your game!" chapter in a manual into something pretty rad.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

JimmyBiskit posted:

In the Quest of Ki episode, did anyone else see this? (Look at Ishtar's mouth) :stare:

Shes just so excited about tomatoes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

EDIT: Nope! Broken link! No new episode for the moment!

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 13, 2011

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

xamphear posted:

:f5: time!

Im uploading a new copy, which should take about an hour. Dont wear out that F5 of yours :ohdear:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

(What was with gaming magazine's obsession with a game being a [genre-defining, super-popular game]-killer, anyway?)

Horrible writing skills and lack of creativity, making it impossible for them to accurately describe how a game actually plays. Same reason every Yakuza game is reviewed as some sort of GTA clone eventhough the only thing they have in common is gangsters.

Edit: Cant wait for Yakuza Dead Souls to get reviewed as 'GTA meets Dead Rising!'

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I think GCCX is like Top Gear in the sense that GCCX is a 'videogame show' in the same way Top Gear is a 'car show'

The cars/videogames are just a pretense, the shows are really about antics and jokes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Fishbus posted:

The amount of games I've seen that make you defeat all the friggen bosses again before fighting the final boss can all choke on dicks. Wow, so many do this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

I don't know if our own has a different use(plus my Japanese is so, so poor) but I do know that the comedy duo uses the word, which means crayfish.

All this time we thought she was some kind of cyborg. The truth is far more terrifying.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Liku posted:

Yeah, there's some stupid poo poo written on Kotaku (why's it because called Kotak?) but I guess since I don't really read many of the articles and just use it as a general game news site it's decent enough to get me the information with a clean layout.

Its called 'Kotak' because of a couple videos where Arino, In Super Engrish Mode, calls them Kotak.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=264174060270550

Fun Fact: GCCX put forth way more effort advertising kotaku.com than kotaku.com put forth advertising GCCX.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

So how much did Kotaku pay for their license? How easy would it be to get GCCX on itunes? I dunno just thinking out loud here...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Like youve got room to talk, rear end in a top hat.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

I hope I don't sound stupid, but I downloaded the Kato and Ken episode but it wasn't subtitled. What did I do wrong? :ohdear:

What media player are you using? Sometimes I have issues with soft-subbed videos unless I use VLC or something.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I just wish Arino would play some old Leisure Suit Larry game. It would not only totally fit him, but Im sure he would think of the most retarded poo poo to till Larry to do!

Something tells me it never got a Japanese translation though...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I went back to Kotaku to see if the articles about Arino coming to America were really as bad as I remember. Yes. They were.

http://kotaku.com/5837877/meet-the-retro-game-master

That's the only warning they gave anyone about the vist, 2 days ahead of time. In fact the bottom of the article credits another website for the news. This is the show Kotaku spent money to get an exclusive license to.

http://kotaku.com/5839212/meeting-the-kacho/gallery/1?tag=retrogamemaster

And that's the article about it after it happened. Several days later and basically just copy/pasting segments from peoples emails who actually gave enough of a poo poo to actually attend the event.

They literally gave no shits about their TV show acquisition.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 16, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

zari-gani posted:

If Game Center CX is Top Gear, who is Game Center CX's Stig?

Urakawa.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

But my quick research showed that the DS version of Umihara Kawase was going for more than the Super Famicom version. :psyduck:

I also hear that the PSP versions physics are totally hosed so the DS one is the way to go.

Wait, looking that the comments the guy who before did everything in his power to push down the links to fansubs because of the harm they cause is now... posting fansubs in the comments!

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 18, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

got dat wmd posted:

Hell, it's still ridiculous that TV-Nihon got credit when only about 25% of the videos posted are by them, the rest are SA-Team! Perhaps you should stop using megaupload and instead set up an SA-Team youtube account to post your translations, hell you'd make partner in no-time given the amount of clicks the vids would get.

In our early days, I think maybe a bit after Tokemeki Memorial, Random Stranger set up a Youtube account for SAGCCX. It got pulled really quick by someone who wasnt even FujiTV, I wanna say blip.tv.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

In SA GCCX's 2012 premiere, Arino takes on a game from the strange, sick, and twisted sub-genre: Western Games.

Arino vs Flashback, ladies and gentlemen. A Nagoyan translation and a Gutcruncher (THATS ME!) timing.

http://www.multiupload.com/UQESKBNOCT

And the subs
http://www.multiupload.com/0E6K1ZPKJT

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Goddamn it! Another adventure game?! Don't they know how much work those episodes are? :v:

Theyre being passive aggressive.

"Those gaijin are watching our show for free? Lets see them watch THIS poo poo!"

Eventually Arino will play Japanese Zork or something.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

leather fedora posted:

I was checking the English workbooks at the Japanese middle school I teach at, and I noticed one kid wrote "Arino is the game player I like the best." :3:

I sure hope you gave him some extra credit.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

lanzy posted:

Count me excited for the Jake Hunter episode. Funny how many people played Phoenix Wright but had no interest in Jake. I recommend everyone pick up Memories of the Past who had even a remote interest in Phoenix. It's real hardboiled.

I just ordered it last night. I was wanting a new portable wordy-adventure to play, so why not this?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Primoman posted:

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeah!

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeaaaahhhhh!!!

DO YOU KNOW THE KACHOOOOO!?

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

But I think my favorite moment has to be when he freaks out over the size difference of the NES and SNES in America. It's such a simple but endearing moment.

Also, if there really is a segment where he plays RE2, I'm dying to see it.

I wish the episode showed what happened right after that.

DO YOU KNOW THE INOKO MAX?

YEAAAAAHHHHH!!!

*Inoko-max gets the mic*

Do you know me?

YEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Primoman posted:

So every time Arino inserts a game into the system, he does this weird hand gesture after turning it on. It looks like he's pushing a button on his shirt or something.

Is there a meaning behind this, or is this some standard Power Rangers-like gesture that's common in Japan?

Hes just trying to make it as epic as possible.

GAME CENTAH SHI EKS KACHO ON!!
*pose*

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

techknight posted:

One more:

In the Season 6 section, the Kotaku version of Mighty Bomb Jack is listed twice, as episode 39 and episode 40.

The Kotaku version was a combination of episode 39 and the Mighty Bomb Jack segment of episode 40.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

How tall is Arino? He's towering over his partner there.

5-9

Man the USA special mustve been weird for him, going from giant to midget with one plane ride.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Jolopy posted:

I'm convinced. It's some sort of Japanese law to have one working Metal Slug machine per block in commercial areas.

Hell I wouldve voted for that bill.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

ReWinter posted:

The new episode was great, it had a nicely different feel from the televised challenges. Seemed like they let Arino ramble about unrelated stuff a bit more here, which is nothing bad since he's, you know, a comedian. Torrent was a fine distribution method for me, I'll try to seed this and any future releases you provide a torrent for.

Related, I just ordered a copy of Retro Game Challenge from Amazon. Random Stranger mentioned this about a week back and there's still two or three copies available there for only fifteen bucks. Glad I could buy this new; I found out about the show so long after the game came out. Hopefully the game has some of the show's magic.

You will feel like you yourself are being held captive by some jerk forcing you to play outdated videogames. Its an AMAZING Arino simulation.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

FreezingInferno posted:

I know a friend who actually bought S.O.S. because of the episode. He sure, uh... didn't quite like it. But Bomberman is fun!

Funny, that episode is what made me NOT buy SOS!

Anyone who wants some Bomberman, theres a couple of the TG16 Bombermans on the Wii Virtual Console for I think 6 bucks. They support 5 players!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Whats that, Random Stranger? No new episode today? hahahahah HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAH

Takeshi's Castle! Translated by Zari-gani and timed by Gutcruncher

http://depositfiles.com/files/1y3uzquq1
http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=281819

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

makere posted:

Thanks! Although Nyaa seems to be down atm, so could you/someone mirror the torrent file to somewhere (mediafire)?

Well that sucks. Here ya go http://depositfiles.com/files/qmp81kfib

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Primoman posted:

I facepalmed when he gleefully purchased the Rei Ayanami doll with the exposed cleavage.

Asuka is far superior.

I dont think hes ever been so gung-ho about winning any prize as he was about Pajama Time Rei Ayanami. He wasnt gonna leave without that loving thing, no matter how much money he would have to bum from the staff.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Someone posted something awesome on the SAGCCX Facebook wall.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Tyma posted:

It would be kind of weird seeing him play a music game where large sections of the song wheel are "out of bounds", because the songs can't be aired on TV. I'm not sure how much creative editing could get around that fact.

Simple. Have Kan's booming voice get mad at Arino whenever his cursor hovers over a off-limits song! It could be an hour of Arino never knowing when the scary voice will yell at him again.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Bocc Kob posted:

You've set up a way to get live streaming of the show and real-time translated subtitles? :haw:

Darn. You discovered the secret! Its a combination of Youtubes auto captioning and Googles auto translating. We believe this is the wave of the future and all subtitles will be created in this fashion in the near future.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

techknight posted:

Can we fax in messages of translation encouragement? :)

Sorry, the Yooogle TransCriber CX knows no encouragement. It knows no happiness or pain. It knows only its programming.

...so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

xamphear posted:

So... The fat guy in the comedy trio who visits Arino during the 24h challenge...

What's, uh, wrong with his head?

Didnt you see? Arino shocked him and he was never the same again. I cant believe they were able to show such a violent act on TV.