Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Who were responsible for "Sometimes you should go to this kind of gamecenter"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

xamphear posted:

Yep, no text on our TV stations. :confused:

This is a news channel.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Haha, I'm downloading at 65kb/s from depositfiles, is this just an Euro thing or are they this terrible?

Opal
May 10, 2005

My only wish is for them to do a special with a modern game some day, it would be fun to see how he would handle some FPS games.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I don't really see how that is different from watching him play Ninja Gaiden or Sonic. :) He always gets a handle on the controls after a while, though.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Haha oh yeah, isn't Japan where they played Police vs Aliens rather than Terrorists vs Counter-terrorists in CS?

Anyway at this point I'm not hugely bothered with the retro angle as much as I enjoy seeing Arino be bad at games.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Lock posted:

Because he's not perving and people are overreacting. You can think those things, be above the rabble of Internettown, and still be overreacting. And it's the generalizing statements that draw issue, not whether or not someone likes the guy.

I didn't find it pervy. It was said conversationally as a tossaway comment and he seemed as surprised to get an answer as anything. People know him as a comedian, especially people who write in to the show, so they know what to expect. But if you are someone who did find it crossing a line, ok, fair enough, people naturally react differently. Just don't say ONLY INTERNETTOWN NERDS WOULD FIND THAT FUNNY. I really couldn't care less if others like the guy or not, just stop being so judgmental in general.

The guy went back on what he said and left it at "It weirds me out that Arino periodically acts like a giant perv. Yes I know it's a joke. It's still kinda creepy. I can think these things and still enjoy the show." and you still felt the need to get this defensive about it. Maybe think about that for a while.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Wow, Alex Kidd was one of my first games too, it was actually pre-installed on my console. I don't think I ever got farther than the bike-in-the-forest bit.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Yeah, I was gonna say, Alluvion seems like the perfect tracker for this. It's been up for years and years so you know it's stable.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Aw, can't concentrate on this enough at work, gonna have to leave it til you guys release a subbed version.

Opal
May 10, 2005

If it's not for public consumption but for your group of friends why are you even asking the internet for advice? You'd get better answers from them whether they'd watch it or not.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Regarding the torrents, if you're going for this nested mapping structure wouldn't it be a good idea if all new releases were also in that format?

Opal
May 10, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

There are much worse episodes out there even in that season (Zelda: Ocarina of Time I'm looking at you).

What's wrong with it? :ohdear: I was looking forward to it, is it because it's not that hard?

Opal
May 10, 2005

Is it just me or have the subbed episodes been coming more rarely nowadays? It feels like last year you guys released several a month, maybe you're just busier now or I'm completely misremembering.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

:toot:Arino's 40th Birthday Spectacular!:toot:

The translator on this one is zari-gani who I think actually got some of that sushi they had set out for the party. No word on if she got any of the cake.

Of course all of this from beginning to end is because of the entire SA Team. Everyone needs to take a bow.

Download torrent81 (1 file; 377.48 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Just got around to watching this but I was wondering if there's a plan to translate the actual game segments as well or will you only do the birthday stuff? I thought the game looked pretty interesting.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Maybe Kotaku could license and dub it in English and make an anticomedy ouroboros

Opal
May 10, 2005

zari-gani posted:

:3: Gotta admit, I truly appreciate comments like that, especially towards something I know not everyone likes.

I assume that's also why you tend to type "'im'" rather than "him"?

Opal
May 10, 2005

Haha, yeah, the Sonic episode is the only one so far that actually made me frustrated with Arino. Felt like it took him ages to come to grips with - to me - some rather simple concepts.

Opal
May 10, 2005

No.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

There is no way they will say yes and I think it is rude to even ask. It is a place of work not a museum. You should visit some of the arcades and such that have been featured on the show itself.

Is this something particular to Japan or the US or something? Why would it be rude to ask? I've been given tours of studios and offices a few times and it's literally never been a problem.

Opal
May 10, 2005

I guess that's why you call ahead?? What the guy wants to look at is entirely up to him.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Thanks, that's a better answer.

Opal
May 10, 2005

victrix posted:

On a somewhat related note I've been in the offices of many american game devs, and outside some rare exceptions on the very, very high end (ie, Blizzard), most of them are... about what you'd expect from a business office.

DICE's office is great. :shobon: Rather than gaming dens and console rooms they have ping pong and pool tables and a massive porch on the top level where they do barbecues for lunch in the summer.

Opal
May 10, 2005

One is work, the other is private life. It's not complicated.

Opal
May 10, 2005

It bugs me that I automatically read his name as Abe (Lincoln) rather than A-beh in my head. :|

Opal
May 10, 2005

Why would it be weird? His name isn't Abe like Abraham. I dunno, I try to pronounce things correctly as far as I know them but some things are more automatic, I guess.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Wait, what's [CX]? Is this different from whatever else you usually sub?

Opal
May 10, 2005

rdbbb posted:

I don't think there's enough to suggest he's "really good friends" with any of them (or at least how I'd define that), but whew, I was beginning to think I was the only one that sees her laugh.

Context aside, laughing at insults thrown at you is a very common defense mechanism. Do with that what you will. :)

Opal
May 10, 2005

While the guy seems a bit misinformed I agree with some of his points and the childish ganging up on the dude with voting down his comments and voting up everyone else's doesn't do anyone any favours, simply reeks of fanboyism and self-congratulatory mutual masturbation.

Opal
May 10, 2005

You're right, entertaining dissenting opinions is far less important than talking about office outfits in Japan, pop culture references and Arino's accent. Let's do some more cliqueish back-patting.

How is what he wrote any more biased than what anyone else would say about the show?

Opal fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 25, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

No, but not enough unhelpful to want to get into a weird rant about it and vote it 'unhelpful'. I found most of the comments far less helpful than what he actually wrote. Why is a review unhelpful simply because it doesn't say what you want it to?
Like I said, I agree in that I feel it isn't necessarily a good thing that the show is taking on American influences and in my opinion it runs the risk of tainting the original feel of it.

I think I will also not purchase this DVD because I don't want to financially support an endeavour like Kotaku's. That is not to say I would not pay money for the show, if it came in a different format, and I think that not everyone will realise what the DVD actually is with regards to content - I know I didn't. In that way his review was helpful to me.

Opal fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 25, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

Well again that wasn't particularly my point but whatever.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Sorry this is a bit late after the post but, I was watching the Balloon Fight episode with Preisdent Iwata and I was wondering if there is something different about the way Arino talks? I imagine it's possible he's just speaking more politely but his accent sounds different too. Or is it just me?

Opal
May 10, 2005

zari-gani posted:

Arino does indeed drop most of his Kansai dialect and switch to proper formal speak when interviewing someone because that's the polite, business-like thing to do.

Ah, cool, glad I picked it up! Thanks for the help.

Opal
May 10, 2005

pnumoman posted:

No one's taking your original post as being hostile, you're just really stupid. It's been pointed out over and over and over again that the non-challenge segments are broadcast ONLY so both the Japanese DVDs, the Kotaku run, and the Discotek DVDs do not have them at all, yet you seem to have failed to grasp this simple point.

I really don't understand how you can like GCCX enough to get an Arino avatar, yet fail to do some basic research about the show.

No, you're being incredibly hostile for no reason at all and good job on running yet another person out of the thread. Just because you've heard his complaint before doesn't mean that everyone has read every single post in these thread since the start so chill the gently caress out.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Why does that guy have Twitter at all if he only ever replies with snide one-liners

Opal
May 10, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

You're asking this about Twitter?

Yes, it seems I am. Your post seems to imply something but I don't know what it is.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

According to this thread something good happening to Americans is a bad thing because.

Hahahah you must be joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

This .gif really doesn't do this moment justice but I laughed so very hard at this.

Hahah, yeah this one is my favourite too.