Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kanos posted:

Did the SNES have Sega Channel? No, it didn't. :colbert:

Hell yes sega channel. :hfive: poo poo was like ten years ahead of its time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I think you mean ten years behind the times.

:stare:

sega channel was still awesome :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

He was a punk rocker.

I tried to process this mental image and my brain twisted a couple degrees to the right.

Ow :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quakster posted:

Arino obviously needs to play Abe's Oddysee to keep up the illusion.

Now I'm intensely sad that I will never hear Arino converse with the ADs in mudokon fashion.

:smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Can I note at this point that we all have tens of gigabytes on our disks dedicated to watching a middle-age Japanese dude play old video games? :v:

(Not that this is a bad thing, mind, that Bomberman episode ruled)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ahaha I didn't even see the Bird and Dragon the first time I saw that poster. That rules. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rdbbb posted:

Here's a Vita start screen I made based on the castle sprites that were posted here a little while ago. It's pretty simple/sparse/imperfect, but I think it gets the job done. I did include the throne & candleabras originally, but then you were peeling away all but the top of the throne, which looked weird.

Awriiight, new iPad desktop. Yoink!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

guuuhhhhh that slime. :stare:

Is the phrase "unique game" their code for "this game sucks but we can't cheese off our benefactors on TV" or something? I've seen it applied a few times to games they've shown and I just noticed they said it about Out of This World and now I'm sad :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

You might be right but I like the rosy shade my glasses give me, drat it all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Huzzah! posted:

Yeah, the game really didn't get rushed till Mega Man 3.

Hey hey hey, you're not allowed to diss the game that gave us the Snake Man theme. :mad:

(edit) oh god drat it. :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 11, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My joke detection ineptitude aside I'll still thump anyone who calls 3 a bad game. :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm glad he picked Legacy of the Wizard at least though, because I really liked the music v:shobon:v

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kaitouace posted:

I was thrilled to find out they did Legacy of the Wizard. I rented that game ages ago and had NO idea what was going on in it. It was satisfying to see Arino go through it just to fulfill my curiosity about the game after all this time.

Honestly I kind of want to play it a little for myself just to see if it's as... obtuse as it seems from the episode.

That and like I said I dig the music :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know they don't do Genesis games that often, but I hope they do Gauntlet 4 one day. Loved that goddam game. :swoon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What just happened here? :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for yet another episode. I liked that gameboy bit; I swear I remember owning Gargoyle's Quest on the gameboy as a kid. I KNEW it looked familiar when we saw the sequel! :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I always enjoyed the Actraiser episode because it felt like I finally found a kindred spirit in someone who really likes the creation mode as much as I do. :unsmith:

Also, "Fightin's gone." :unsmigghh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

There was an Actraiser 2? Dang.

It's nice to think I'm not as alone in that opinion as I thought though! :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I think it's because they didn't really run together well. Actraiser's action bits were the crappy parts in between the sim mode.

Great music to the action bits, though. Anyone who's played this and says they don't remember Filmore act 1 is a drat dirty liar. :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah the town restoration thing didn't happen at all in Illusion of Gaia, and in Terranigma it was more of a story hook than an actual mechanic for the most part.

... drat, now I want to see Illusion of Gaia on GCCX too. :(

(edit) Then again maybe not; it would probably end up like Link to the Past did: too much content (in this case story rather than gameplay) to fit into an hour and do the game service. But I'll dream anyway. :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 4, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually, Punch Out is probably my favorite episode so far, mostly because of how in to it he and the crew get when the game throws him a total fuckin screwball (Piston Honda and Great Tiger's specials, primarily). Very WHOA WAIT WHAT WHOA stuff. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just imagined what the US would be like if everything between Arizona and Maryland were like Texas and it is not a nice image :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

zari-gani posted:

I question the demand for printed venetian blinds featuring a former staff of a Japanese nerd show...

Glad someone said it, you guys are being dorks. I mean, even by GCCX thread standards.

Love that you got that artwork on the DVD cover, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Punch Out, maybe? It certainly kicked his rear end around, and I sure as hell never managed to beat it. (:smith:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, the hoodie is Inoue.

I went ahead and reuploaded the comic anyway. No idea who originally translated it, but credit to whoever they are!

GCCXcomix.zip - 11.6 Mb

I'm downloading a translated foreign comic about a low budget TV show wherein a middle-aged comedian sucks at old video games.

I think I just suffered an existential crisis of some sort :psyduck:

(thanks)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rdbbb posted:

Next new ep is Captain Tsubasa (Tecmo World Cup).

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

Soccer soccer soccer

(Where the gently caress is the guy with that avatar, we need him in here yesterday)

(edit) Wait, wrong soccer game, drat. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 1, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

zari-gani posted:

I know you're just joking but it's already been translated to Japanese

It's called Tonari no Seinfeld. Yes, like Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro).

The Drew Carey Show has also been translated to Japanese. They call it Drew Carey DE Show! in a delightful pun of -desho.

I wonder if this vague bemusement I'm feeling right now is how the average Japanese nerd feels about America getting translated versions of GCCX. :v:

On another note, I just watched the Street Fighter 2010 episode (thanks again SA Team!), and in the first ten minutes I recognized it as "that fuckin game my parents got me when I was five instead of Street Fighter II for the SNES." I never got past the eyeball ceiling boss :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 3, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Going back to favorite episodes, I always feel like I have to go back to Wai-wai World from the tv-nihon days, at least for top three. Mostly because it brings in the "puts down the controller" thing in truly cruel schadenfreudian* form :v:

*gently caress you that's a word

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Whee! Pilotwings was one of my favorite games as a kid. (Looking back... I have no idea why.) Thanks SA GCCX team! :dance:

Does anyone else want to see one of the Gauntlet games played? Like Gauntlet IV for the Genesis? :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was thinking specifically of the "RPG" mode in Gauntlet IV, yeah. I loved that poo poo to death as a kid. Still do, really, even though I've practically memorized every single level at this point.

Plus, it had multiplayer deathmatch :black101:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I remember hearing how Red Dead Revolver was originally being made by Capcom, but it got dropped and they eventually sold the name and rights to Rock Star for pretty cheap. As a thank you Rock Star let them publish San Andreas to Japan, and it was actually the best selling game of the month it came out.

Makes me wonder how/if they translated "Youse a busta, busta!" type lines. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

That's a way of portraying his pronounced (no pun intended) Kansai (western Japan) accent/dialect.

Eh? I thought it was more about easily representing formal vs informal speech. Isn't Japanese big into that?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Today I was at Fry's and on the way out I noticed one of the machines Arino used on a tamage (wish I could remember which episode): the barber cut one where you had to position a very tiny blade to cut strings holding up prizes. It was a little surreal, considering I only noticed it when I heard the whistle-stop noise from the show :v:

Didn't realize those were on the American side of the pond, too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bocc Kob posted:

The next episode will be Spy vs. Spy?! :derp:

I... don't even remember there actually being a game to beat there. Probably because my entire time was spent torturing/being tortured by my little brother. :3:

I'd love to see it though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hey hey heeeyyyyy.

I liked the first TMNT game. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

"toad-ally croaked"? Maybe it's because I don't have enough caffeine in my veins yet but what is that "croaked" supposed to mean besides being part of an awful awful pun?

Also, Battletoads :dance:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lmbo at Kan peeking in with his "What did you do?!". Behind the scenes shenanigans are always great.

Thanks for the episode! Man, what a stupid game. A 'racing' game with platforming, wow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Personally I prefer it just being the file for individual episodes, because XBMC is bloody infuriatingly specific about how file/folder structure should look sometimes. Not a big deal either way, mind, just individual un-foldered files works out better for me. v:shobon:v

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

This is only a tangential-to-SAGCCX question, but when it comes to downloading torrents, is there any way for me to reshuffle/rename the files without completely losing the ability to share them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

More like a "kill Yoshi" button

Hey if Mario dies Yoshi dies too. His sacrifice is for a damned good cause :colbert: