Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WNxOddJob
Sep 20, 2008

by Lowtax

Bad Bromance posted:

Yo the warning was the first time CPS came by, was that not enough notice to start dismantling your garbage treasure trove

They didn't give us a warning. They just said everything was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Oh god are you a troll? That is completely filthy. Have you ever seen Hoarders?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
So you have no job because you don't want your food stamps to run out, and your wife is skipping work because she's crying and creating water damage spots. And you can't find time to clean up??

wutheringbites
Nov 3, 2008
How exactly did things get that bad? Does one or both of you have a massive issue with throwing things away?

Bastard Priest
Jun 16, 2010

by Fistgrrl
How loving delusional do you have to be, to think that place isn't a dangerously disgusting environment for children? What the gently caress.

Cosmic Cowboy
Oct 27, 2010
I realize now that your daughter was leaving on a Sunday because she wishes every day were school so that she can get out of the filth and live like a normal human being

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
I see food, drinks, diapers, and lots of toys for the little ones in those pictures. What is the problem?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

WNxOddJob posted:

I'm not saying it's not our fault. In fact, I agree, our house is a mess. A bad mess? Sure, probably. A dangerous instant take away kids mess? I don't personally think so. A warning would have sufficed to get us to clean.
The warning is what you got when CPS was involved a year ago. If that didn't get you to clean up, what would?

Yes, that environment is crazy unclean and unsafe -- how high are all those boxes stacked? What would happen if one fell on a kid? No, that's not just "some laundry" or "a few dishes." Yes, it would take you more than two weeks to clean up that mess. No, your five-year-old should not be able to get up, get out the front door, and be gone for hours without anyone noticing. No, your house should not have "soft spots" -- what does that mean, there are areas where you can't walk without falling through the floor?

No kid should be brought up in that environment. I feel so bad for your kids.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
That cop was a jerk but I really doubt you could have that cleaned up in a week let alone one night.

plaindot
Dec 26, 2005
awesome
To be clear, OP, your filthiness is actually very CPS-taking-away-your-children worthy. Such as those piled up poo poo, if your kids bumped into one and those stuff fall on them sometimes they probably can cause injury! Have you always been filthy? Why you're so filthy that you need CPS to remind you on how filthy you are? Hope that helps.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The cat shouldn't even be living there.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Look regardless of what you characterize the first visit as, CPS undoubtedly has something on the computer that says something like "warned about mess/garbage" or whatever, so they're look at this as a second offense type situation. Its doubtful you will have your parental rights terminated permanently, but drat you need to clean that crapshack and keep it clean. Even after you get the kids back its extremely likely there will be at least one follow-up visit down the road, probably without notice.

I would start looking for a lawyer, and be prepared to do some parenting classes at least. If you can't afford a lawyer I would call whatever legal aid services you have in your state, if you call the state bar association they can usually direct you.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Do your guests immediately ask about your cats, even if none are in sight?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

That's disgusting, I don't care if you're in the process of cleaning- you shouldn't have children there, and the fact that CPS was already there once for the state of the house should have been your first wake-up call.

Get a good lawyer, sure, but for the love of god get some help and learn how to run a household.

If people are sounding like jerks about this, it's because you have children who are subjected to that. Don't try and pass this off as small-town SD cops blowing things out of proportion, either.

Gene Rod N Berries
Feb 24, 2006

welcum 2 mah realm
You should probably seek mental health treatment because it's not normal to live like that.

Rounin
Sep 21, 2003
No time to read, now that I've finished shitting out my retarded opinions, I gotta go ~*~clubbin~*~ l8r bois
I wish I could offer you advice on the CPS situation, OP, but this is just about the mess: A lot of that stuff seems to be stuff that isn't in use - Boxes that are beneath other boxes or haven't been opened or not even filled with anything, toys that haven't been played with for years, random plastic containers that are hard to identify, and so on and so forth. Just by throwing away the stuff that you won't ever use, your home could probably become 90% tidier almost instantly.

Other than that, good luck with the hearing on Tuesday, and with the rest of the process.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Well, guess my kid just decided to get dressed and go to school on a Sunday for some reason. At least she didn't put her foot through the rotting floorboards or bump into any of the special Precariously Stacked Boxes I have in every corner of the house, and the cat on the bare mattress isn't even dead right now so what the hell cops

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Fagnostic Gaytheist posted:

You should probably seek mental health treatment because it's not normal to live like that.

I agree on that as well. If you're at a point where you're living like that and rationalize it as a "couple plates out" and act like "soft spots" in the floor are just something you deal with, there's something big at play. If there are local resources for it, seek some family counseling.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
I lived above some people in New Orleans who had two kids. They seemed nice enough, but the kids always seemed kind of dirty and their back patio was covered in dogshit. I had my suspicions, but calling CPS is a serious step.

When they moved out, the landlord and I were chatting about them, and he took me in and showed me. Their walls were yellow from smoking inside, and the landlord said the first two coats of paint they put up had yellow cigarette smoke residue bleed through.

The floors were dirty - actual dirt - and the carpets were torn and ragged. There were cigarette butts everywhere, and there was a 6" mound of literal dirt in one of the closets. I have no idea how it got there.

Their place was squalid, and I regretted calling CPS. I hate to say it, because getting your kids taken away is hard - and it's way harder on the kids - but CPS needed to be involved here. Your place is not a fit home for children.

Or for anyone, for that matter.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Make a box bed for the cat! Make a box bed for your kid. Make a box dress! Make a necklace out of a plate. Get a job. Paste foodstamps on the wall like a mosaic! Use your pony doll as a roomba. Get a reality show, call the cops and tell them they're stupid! Most of all make an internet thread and take a million pictures too. The world is your oyster and now you don't even have a shithead little kid to hold you back

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

I think the right decision was not having kids in your current situation. I don't wish anyone to have to raise multiple kids in a condition where the breadwinner of the family works fast food 3rd shift.

Zachsta
Jun 13, 2007

by T. Fine
You'll probably end us getting your kids back relatively soon, and then you need to take this as a lesson to keep your place reasonably clean. You were already warned by CPS once and you don't have a job, so you really have no excuse.

Also, don't kids need to be fed breakfast before 10 am (or however late you were planning on sleeping), even on a weekend? That's what I remember from my childhood.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rounin posted:

I wish I could offer you advice on the CPS situation, OP, but this is just about the mess: A lot of that stuff seems to be stuff that isn't in use - Boxes that are beneath other boxes or haven't been opened or not even filled with anything, toys that haven't been played with for years, random plastic containers that are hard to identify, and so on and so forth. Just by throwing away the stuff that you won't ever use, your home could probably become 90% tidier almost instantly.

Yeah, anything in a box, a crate, or a basket can hit the curb. Also any used/empty food/drink containers. (I really shouldn't have to tell you that last one.)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Zachsta posted:

Also, don't kids need to be fed breakfast before 10 am (or however late you were planning on sleeping), even on a weekend? That's what I remember from my childhood.

Not to mention that maybe if you have a 5 year old running around, you lose the luxury of sleeping in past 10am when they're awake and good to go early in the am. If the OP doesn't have a job, why exactly isn't this kid being monitored more carefully?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The only mistake CPS made here is not taking your kid away the first time.

They will probably point you to resources for getting help with learning about how to take care of a household and how to take care of a child. For the love of god USE THEM.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
You could always sue pepsi too mate

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

I Ozma Myself posted:

Not to mention that maybe if you have a 5 year old running around, you lose the luxury of sleeping in past 10am when they're awake and good to go early in the am. If the OP doesn't have a job, why exactly isn't this kid being monitored more carefully?

Yeah, if this were just a case of the kid running away and having a minor adventure but everything else was in order, I'm sure CPS would have left well enough alone. In this particular instance scenario, we have a combination of

1. The OP having been investigated before due to the house conditions
2. A 5 year old wandering around alone
3. The living conditions that resulted in a previous investigation still persist (and I suspect have gotten worse)

You were lucky that the people that found your child did not harm him/her, OP.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I Ozma Myself posted:

To be fair his Minecraft house is probably pretty epic.

WNxOddJob
Sep 20, 2008

by Lowtax

Rounin posted:

Other than that, good luck with the hearing on Tuesday, and with the rest of the process.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yeah, anything in a box, a crate, or a basket can hit the curb. Also any used/empty food/drink containers. (I really shouldn't have to tell you that last one.)

Thanks.

Also yes, the majority of it (I know it looks bad) -IS- empty boxes from when we moved in. They just...kind of never got moved out. I don't even know why. We just didn't. We're throwing away a bunch of stuff in the empty boxes now and the place is looking a ton better. We -will- probably have it done tonight. The dishes are nearly done, the living room looks great. The laundry won't be done tonight but, we'll see.

Zachsta posted:

You'll probably end us getting your kids back relatively soon, and then you need to take this as a lesson to keep your place reasonably clean. You were already warned by CPS once and you don't have a job, so you really have no excuse.

She typically will come in and wake one of us up when she wakes up. Even more so if she's hungry. It's never been a problem before.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

You could always sue pepsi too mate

They'll just send him some courtesy boxes of pepsi stuff, maybe he should wait on that.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Jumping on the "if you call that 'a little bit of clutter', there are some problems" bandwagon.

Do what you can in a night, but it's looking pretty grim, and you should never allow a house to get to that stage ever, regardless of occupants.

WNxOddJob posted:

Also yes, the majority of it (I know it looks bad) -IS- empty boxes from when we moved in. They just...kind of never got moved out. I don't even know why. We just didn't. We're throwing away a bunch of stuff in the empty boxes now and the place is looking a ton better. We -will- probably have it done tonight. The dishes are nearly done, the living room looks great. The laundry won't be done tonight but, we'll see.
I've never understood how this happens to people- it looks like it would be difficult to carve a path from one room to another, and still there's no real motivation to just say "Hey, let's toss these boxes literally anywhere else". Boxes are not hard to get rid of. Nor is a lot of that junk- I can't see anything that couldn't be easily disposed of either in the regular rubbish service or with a single trip to a tip.

Glad you're making some progress cleaning the place up but for the love of christ get ontop of this poo poo and seek the resources outlined by a few others in this thread, even if by some amazing luck you do get your kids back if CPS come back it'll likely be a 'third strike, you're out' scenario.

DonnieDarko
May 22, 2004
28 days, 06 hours, 42 min, 23 sec
OP,
I started getting nauseous and wanted to take a shower immediately after viewing those pictures of that squalor. I can't even imagine how bad the smell is from the food, litter box, etc.
Anyway,to be somewhat constructive,it is unlikely that your kids are permanently being taken away. In the realm of family law, courts utilize what is called the "best interests of the child" standard "BIC". Under BIC, it's VERY VERY VERY difficult for a court to terminate parental rights unless there is some blatant physical/emotional/sexual abuse. Your first step, as others have mentioned, is to get an attorney ASAP or if you can't afford one, visit a legal aid clinic in your area. Your second step is to seek some sort of mental health professional because obviously you have some serious issues. Your third step is to take a blow torch to that disgusting place.

Edit: I'm a lawyer, granted not a family law lawyer and THIS IS IN NO WAY LEGAL ADVICE but forget all this business about "suing for money". Get a lawyer to get your kids back, forget this pipe dream about getting money from CPS> You have to prove damages and what damages can you prove? That your wife missed a couple of days work at her minimum wage job? No lawyer would touch your case.

mypetmonster
Nov 4, 2010
might I also add that if I had my kids taken away by CPS I would not be on SA making excuses because every second of my day would be spent doing whatever it took to get them back. If I were in your situation I would probably hopefully consider this a wake up call and be calling as many friends and relatives as I could to get the house clean.

get it together if you want your kids back, you were obviously out of control and need to keep your house clean. you can make the choice to be a pig but you have kids and they deserve a safe place to come home to and you are not providing that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

WNxOddJob posted:

The laundry won't be done tonight but, we'll see.

Doing laundry really shouldn't take more than a day. Do you just keep constantly buying new clothes or do your kids wear dirty ones or what? I understand that there's 4 people there, but drat.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Your house is gross. Clean it up, with garbage bags. No sorting. Do it all in one day. If something has been sitting in one spot for three months and cost less than a hundred dollars, throw it out. If your wife starts with the "Let me go through this" poo poo, tell her to sort through the photos of your kids. If you want to sort through poo poo, get your friends and family to help you.

I listened to a report on NPR last month about South Dakota's CPS department. They get a large amount of money from the federal government for every family split up. The problem is especially bad on the reservations. You have a major issue going on, and you need to go tap some friends, family, Money Tree, whatever for the dough to put down for a family law laywer.

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/31/141872944/improving-foster-care-for-native-american-kids

TLA posted:

"The way our federal government is set up, the way that the foster care system works, is that states get paid per child. So every time you remove a child from a home, the state gets money. But if it's a poor state like South Dakota, it gets lots of money. It's just based on - it's based on the rates. The poorer your state, the more reimbursement you get from the federal government.

So in South Dakota, you know, they're basically getting three-quarters of the money back from the federal government. They put in 29 cents, the federal government puts in 71 cents. It's a big old coupon is what it is. And it's a coupon that fuels this sort of economic engine in South Dakota.

So this is a giant department. It's $100 million a year in a very poor state, employs 1,000 people. You know, thousands of adoptive parents get thousands of dollars a year. Hundreds of foster-care parents get thousands of dollars a year. Group homes get millions of dollars a year. And it's become sort of this economic engine."

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WNxOddJob posted:

Thanks.

She typically will come in and wake one of us up when she wakes up. Even more so if she's hungry. It's never been a problem before.

The reason it never got moved out is because you are a lazy slob. That's also the reason your kids are being relocated. I hope that helps

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
OP, once you get your kids back and clean out 90% of the crap in your house, you need to spend whatever money you can to get a therapist. If you're a college student there might even be a free/very cheap one on campus, otherwise you can usually find one who works on a sliding scale based on income. The pictures you've presented aren't normal. Even if you're busy cleaning up, there's no reason you should have that much crap lying around in the first place. Hoarding is indicative of mental illness, and the problem won't fix itself once the dumpster gets thrown out. You'll be in the same situation 6 months or a year from now, and CPS won't be nearly as forgiving the third time.

'Healthy' households don't get visited twice by CPS. This is a deeper problem than just a few dirty dishes, and you're not going to be able to fix it yourself. Find a therapist.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
The last thing DFACS wants to do is take a child away from their parents. They only do this if they perceive the environment as unsafe to the children. Your house is unsafe. If I were the agent I would have taken your child away as well. I can only imagine the roaches that have crawled around the dirty plates and into the open cereal boxes. Where is the cat's litter box (assuming there is one)? I'm sure that area is filthy as well.

I understand the financial situation - but having to struggle financially is no reason to have your house cluttered that badly. Jesus, when you finish eating wash the drat bowl, plate, fork, whatever.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

WNxOddJob posted:

She's five years old. That is not appropriate parenting, I don't even know why you would need to be told that. You don't wait for your five year old to come in and wake you up, you get up out of bed and take care of the children you decided to have and make sure they don't need to wake you up and inform you that they're hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Rent a garbage bin or borrow a friends truck this is going to take more than some wastebaskets.