Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

El Grillo posted:

http://energyfromthorium.com/
http://www.ted.com/talks/kirk_sorensen_thorium_an_alternative_nuclear_fuel.html (ignore the bit about generating fuels, the rest is pretty good though nowhere near as good as the full explanation:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M__yYbsZ4

I'm very interested in talking to someone (anyone, in this thread or anywhere else) who can really make a good critique of the LFTR concept and design. At the moment all the evidence seems to point to it being an incredible technology which could save the world, but I am naturally sceptical. This is balanced of course by the fact that China's started investing in LFTR development.

Seriously, anyone who can even just play devil's advocate on this subject, it would be really great, as I'm hoping to start giving talks about it around my uni in a few months.
Electricity generation is only one thing that fossil fuels are used for - there's manufacturing (fertiliser, plastics, roads etc) and fuel (cars, trucks, planes, boats) just as two off the top of my head, neither of which have readily available and scalable general substitutes. Electric cars would be great if charged with electricity generated by LFTR reactors, but we still have to manufacture and get people to purchase a replacement fleet of hundreds of millions of personal cars, and as far as I am aware electric planes and cargo containers are not even being considered yet.

Clearly this isn't a critique of LFTR per se, of which I know only as much as was in the links you posted, but it's worth bearing in mind that even with plentiful cheap electricity we use fossil fuels for enough other things for shortages to be a major concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Smegmatron posted:

Is there any truth to my own personal delusion that fossil fuels will become scarce enough to make them economically unviable to the point where carbon-neutral energy sources (note; I don't necessarily mean renewable) will become the economically preferred option in time to start fixing things?
We've already seen oil prices crest $140/barrel just before the economic crash without any significant movement towards carbon-neutral and/or renewable sources. By the time they're expensive and scarce enough to make such moves likely they're also going to be so expensive as to make a large-scale rollout of new industry prohibitive (carbon-neutral based industry is going to need to be built using what we already have, i.e. fossil-fuel based industry).

Even worse, multiple commentators have noted that no single alternative or any combination of alternatives will allow us to continue our 'business as usual', perpetual growth model for an economy. All the current options (when these are even being looked at) are supply-side; with what can we replace oil to let us keep things as they are? And the ultimate answer is none; the solution must be based on / include demand-side changes, i.e. we need to change how much we consume and drive. We need to transition to an economy based on sustainability instead of assuming endless growth.

Here's one article I found with a quick Google, there are many many more making the same points out there. http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2011-03-22/won%92t-innovation-substitution-and-efficiency-keep-us-growing

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Are there any climate engineering projects further ahead than theoretical proposals and small-scale testing? I have a hard time imagining the government of any large country accepting the overt hypocrisy in simultaneously not taking drastic action on their industrial sector while also providing funding and support for controversial environmental projects that will by definition affect both their trading partners and enemies.

Which is to say, I don't see any evidence at all that anybody in power is going to take this seriously until a city gets wiped out or something.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Your Sledgehammer posted:

That's perhaps the thing that is most frustrating about this topic - to really solve it is going to require massive change on a cultural level, and the type of change required is not taking place at all. It feels totally helpless. It's like I'm a small insect that's trying to change the direction of a speeding train by buzzing my wings. No amount of "evangelizing" on my part will convince enough people to actually make a real difference, and the alternative is watching in horror as everyone suffers through the catastrophic collapse of the whole system, which is undoubtedly the direction we are headed right now (if the collapse hasn't already begun).

Other than it being the cultural system I've lived in all my life, I have no great feelings for industrial civilization, so I don't think I'll really lament the loss of the system itself all that much. The human suffering that results from a collapse scenario is horrifying and depressing, though, and even more depressing is the realization that even if folks were to willingly give up our destructive lifestyle right now in order to head off collapse, we couldn't support anywhere near 7 billion people without it.

There's no easy way out of this, and if there ever was, we should have been looking 20 or 30 years ago. I fear that all there is to do now is for each of us to mitigate as much suffering as we can and help as many people as we can.
Yea, in all seriousness I personally think that while obviously governments and other agencies with power to effect actual change need to be lobbied and petitioned... practically speaking, nothing is going to be done until it's too late. Does anybody really expect the drastic action needed to have any impact to actually be implemented? As has been mentioned, we'd need to basically dismantle our economy - which is unthinkable, but so are the results of climate change and true resource scarcity, until it happens. The Western world is simply not environmentally progressive enough to resist the onslaught of persistent consumerism; what will it take before the notion of endless economic growth is even questioned, for example, let alone preparations made for any alternative system?

I know I end up coming off all kinds of :tinfoil: whenever I talk about this seriously but I really think we're moving into an age within our lifetimes when the government is simply not going to be able to effectively look after us like we're used to. I'd argue they're already showing that by being unable to think and act on timescales larger than ~20 years (or sometimes even the next election cycle) - so it's up to each of us to do so. Maybe I'm pessimistic but I really think the best plan is to move somewhere with a sustainability-minded community (I've been looking at places like Chew Magna), learn to grow some food and a trade that doesn't require much high-tech stuff. Get independent.

Thought: do you really think we'll all be driving cars with carefree abandon like we do now in say, 50 years? If not, do you see any movement towards restructuring our society (American in particular) to function without such easy car access?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fatkraken posted:

I take it that the US differs from this significantly? I know the distances involved are often much larger, urban planning means walking can be difficult and public transport is often very poor. Would a lot of peoples day to day existence be impossible without a car?
I'm actually from the UK, I've just been living in the US for a couple of years. One of the things I really miss about England is the walkable / pedestrianised town centres and the availability of public transport, especially in big cities. Over here (at least in the Bay Area where I am) a lot of 'cities' (smaller areas like Santa Clara apparently count as cities) don't have any discernible centre, just a six-lane road with shops on either side stretching for miles that you drive down until you get to the one you want. There is just no way to get to many places without a car, because these places were designed with car ownership being assumed.

Car ownership in America is probably right up there with military dominance and endless growth as an unquestionable assumed fact of life.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Entire Universe posted:

This is the source of what he was talking about, I think.

For what it's worth, I think that requires a lot of assumptions of certain things such as particulate size if there even was some kind of fire. Assuming the coolant does run out of the pool, assuming the fuel rods do catch fire, assuming what's in there is still potent enough to maintain that fire, assuming nobody does anything about it, and assuming the particles listed into the atmosphere stay aloft and end up all over the place, then sure, ok, you might have a tremendous problem on your hands.

Basically the potential is there in absolute terms, but getting from "potential" to "reality" requires a very Rube Goldberg-esque sequence of events under the assumption nobody tries to stop it in the first place.
I read something similarly alarmist recently. I'm sure that if another earthquake hit the same place before they're done with repairs it would be pretty bad, sure. If another hurricane had hit New Orleans right after Katrina there would have been nothing left of the city. If a single solar flare hits us any drat time it'll knock out our global communications.

There's a reasonable amount of worry and preparations to be done for rare events that have enormous consequences, but we should be doing a lot more worrying about predictable, highly likely events with consequences that will just keep steadily ramping up for as long as any of us are alive.

Basically I agree with you :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fatkraken posted:

The nearest big supermarket is 2 miles away. While most people do drive to this one (as I used to when I still had a car), there are good links: buses and trams stop right outside. Not owning a car is only a mild inconvenience for single people, and while a family shop would be harder to fit on the bus, there are delivery services from almost all the major supermarkets.
I was absolutely gobsmacked at this difference when I moved to the US. For the past 3-4 years in the UK, living in London (so obviously without a car) I've grown to love the home delivery service offered by every supermarket and pretty much relied on it. I would assume the US would freaking love that kind of service, but it barely exists over here. It's just not a thing. I could understand certain areas not being eligible because the US has some pretty loving remote locations but it just doesn't seem to be offered anywhere.

duck monster posted:

That second sentence is a bit inconvenient for the angries. Its not saying denialists are MORE scientific, its saying that scientific literacy merely polarized the debate further. Implication being that the dunning kurger effect is not as large here as previously anticipated and lower scientific literacy folks appear to be aware that they dont have the full capacity to assess the data.

It sure as gently caress doesnt mean "only dummies believe in climate change!", it means "education isn't a defence against being wrong".

Alternative study conclusion I propose: The people might be bad at gauging scientific consensus and forming opinions at it, but the media are blatantly loving horrible at reporting science and in some cases blatantly lying.
This seems to be reiterating what has been found before - greater knowledge of a subject doesn't convince people with incorrect beliefs to re-examine them, it simply gives them more substance on which to form and defend incorrect beliefs. People will take facts and use twisted reasoning to make them support what they already think.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sanchez posted:

I see the peapod by Giant trucks everywhere, someone must be using them.
I confess I don't actually have any statistics on grocery delivery usage in US vs UK; I'm not really sure who would collect that sort of data. It'd be interesting to see though.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

duck monster posted:

Heres an actual thing:

quote:

O'Brien silenced him by a movement of his hand. "We control matter because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull. You will learn by degrees, Winston. There is nothing that we could not do. Invisibility, levitation - anything. I could float off this floor like a soap bubble if I wish to. I do not wish to, because the Party does not wish it. You must get rid of these nineteenth-century ideas about the laws of Nature. We make the laws of Nature.'
Edit: I mean this could apply to a vast swathe of things going on right now. But the evidence just overwhelmingly shows that a good number of people, including people in charge of important decisions, have simply lost touch with reality. They inhabit their own reality constructed from the beliefs and distorted facts in their heads. We need to stop expecting any form of rational top-down change; we're clearly going in the wrong direction on that front.

TACD fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 1, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Narbo posted:

"Sustainable" is a marketing buzzword used to sell tomatoes and no one interested in serious discussion about reducing energy density and overall energy use should use it.
Do you have a better word? Or is the entire concept of structuring society in a way that doesn't require more resources than we physically have in order to remain viable laughable?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Narbo posted:

No I don't have a better word, I think it's completely ridiculous to think that society has ever or will ever be like that and anyway it all depends on your definition of "viable" so why use imprecise feelgood buzzwords?
:confused: I'm pretty sure society was pretty sustainable when there were ~1 billion people on the planet, aka most of history. Whether it's possible to recapture that sustainability now that there's ~7 billion is debatable but it's kind of silly to say that there's no possible living arrangement for humans that isn't doomed to overflow the planet.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Narbo posted:

Society was sustainable, until 10,000 years later when population growth exploded, so where did the fuckup happen? I think defining all human endeavor past the pre-historic period as unsustainable proves my point very well.
Things got unsustainable when we discovered oil and started basing our economy, agriculture and living arrangements on the assumption of cheap, ever-increasing supplies of fossil fuels being available forever. Also about the same time population growth started to take off in a very real way.

How often do you hear politicians talking about a 'return to growth' as if it's the most natural thing in a world for something to keep growing without end, forever? That growth is fundamentally based on oil. We don't have infinite oil. End of story.

I can't find a better chart that plots the two quantities right now, but check out http://www.oilposter.org/posterlarge.html - the main bulk of the chart is oil production over time. That thin yellow line is global population tracking it very nicely.

Check out this paper arguing that the interaction Hubbert Curve can be modelled with a simple Lotka-Volterra equation; you know, that classic of biology textbooks showing how predator / prey numbers oscillate over time and get all hosed if the prey is removed or (in the case of a species with no predators) if an abundance of resources is suddenly introduced. We're nothing different. A vast abundance of resources was 'introduced' into our system when oil was discovered, we've consumed it and increased our number rapidly, and the result is now unsustainable.

What needs to happen, and will happen one way or another, is a return to balance and a population that lives within its means.

TACD fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 1, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Narbo posted:

Not when we started burning coal?

e:"What needs to happen, and will happen one way or another, is a return to balance and a population that lives within its means."

That's fine, sure I agree, for whatever that means. I guess I just don't see it as a useful conversation when you're bogged down in how to reduce energy dense activities and drive people to voluntarily choose investments that will reduce industrial, commercial, and personal energy use on a daily basis.
Yea I mean if somebody wants to start a peak energy thread I'd be happy to keep debating, I was just trying to justify continued use of the word 'sustainable' and the concept as a goal to shoot for.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

That said, they have been saying "We only have (insert arbitrary #) years of oil left!" for the last 50 years, so it's probably not going anywhere, anytime soon.
Actually, more and more people and organisations are coming to an agreement that world oil production has peaked, since there has been no real increase in total production since 2005. We won't run out any time soon, but the nonstop increase in production our economy is predicated on is finished.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Apologies in advance since this isn't directly related to climate change, but I recently found a (what appears to be fairly old) video that I feel does an outstanding job of summarising and presenting the issues with current reliance on fossil fuels and endless growth, so I thought I'd share. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMWzjrRiBg

Strangely, climate change is the one piece of the puzzle it doesn't address, but since I hope everybody can agree these issues are all pretty tightly interrelated I thought it would still be relevant.

TACD fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 6, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yiggy posted:

Its not a happy thought, but at what point do you just accept that you can't do anything, and go about your life?
I pretty much already have, although I feel conflicted about it. I don't live the 'green'est lifestyle by any means - I buy iPads and drive cars and use A/C and eat red meat - but I know that even if I became as ecofriendly as possible, it would do absolutely nothing for the global situation except for gaining me some nebulous moral high ground. I'm certainly in no position to affect government policy - if the IPCC and thousands of erudite scientists and a decade of ever-increasing record heat won't convince them there's drat well nothing I can do.

There's far too many people on the planet and not only do I not have any idea (and have not read even one plausible idea) of how to manage the transition to a globally contracting economy, but there is zero mainstream awareness of the very concept of an economy not in continual growth. Every time I read an article eagerly anticipating a 'return to growth' my heart sinks slightly.

I can't fix the world. All I can do is try to plan and anticipate where I should live and what my situation should be as things get worse, and try to encourage friends and family to think about the same kinds of things. I genuinely believe we are at the beginning of an era where national governments will become increasingly irrelevant in terms of looking after their population, and it's a good time to start looking at how to be more self-sufficient. Move somewhere smallish with a strong community, keep fit, learn to grow food or ply a trade. What else can you do?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

-Troika- posted:

Apparently the EPA has been heavily fining fuel companies for not using biofuels that... don't actually exist :psyduck:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/b...lines&emc=tha25
Assuming this is true, I no longer find this surprising. If one part of the nation thinks it can legislate away sea-level rise it makes sense for another to attempt to legislate the needed / expected technological fixes into existence.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Balnakio posted:

So my climate denier friend linked this poo poo as more "proof" that climate change isn't happening, normal cycles blah blah.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/10/global_warming_undermined_by_study_of_climate_change/

I believe this is the proper rebuttal.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22040-tree-rings-suggest-roman-world-was-warmer-than-thought.html

Thoughts?

The Register is basically a tech tabloid so expecting to get sensible articles about climate science from there is laughable. You're probably going to want to get your friend to explicitly say what he thinks that article is proving because I can't see how it is relevant in any way to modern climate change.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

dur posted:

A conservative friend of mine posted the same story, only he used a link to Nature. He thinks that because this suggests that it was warmer in the Roman and Medieval periods, that "in layman's terms, global warming is bullshit". To my dumb non-scientist brain, this is a single study to add to the pile of many; we can't use it by itself to really draw a conclusion one way or the other, like my friend really wants to do, and it certainly doesn't invalidate other climate reconstructions or instrumental data.

It's also funny to contrast his response to this paper with his comment from last week: "Finally, about claims “the science is settled” on global warming: “One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”" (Quoting James Lovelock, and trying to suggest that since we can't know the truth, we don't have to do anything; my friend is a corporate lawyer, not a scientist.)

Science can never be certain, but this time, this time it is certain, and all that global warming business is just a bunch of baloney.
OK, so the planet used to be warmer once upon a time. What of it? Nobody has ever tried to claim the earth is warmer now than it has ever been. That doesn't change modern observations and the conclusions that can be drawn. It's a total non-sequitur of an argument.

As for science not being certain - that's essentially laypeople trying to be smart because scientists like to be pedantically accurate. No, technically we can't be 100% absolutely guaranteed certain of anything beyond mathematical axioms. But science is far more confident in its evidence-based knowledge of human-caused climate change than your friend imagines.

It really boggles the mind that some people still have trouble getting this stuff. Did news reports of the goddamn Northwest Passage opening up not make him think something was up? Is he going to be scoffing at them durned librals when the Maldives are literally underwater?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Spiritus Nox posted:

For what it's worth, they're saying there's evidence that it might be part of a seasonal thing. While rising temperatures are definitely at least somewhat responsible for the astonishing data, we might not be as immediately hosed as it appears.
At this point I feel like this lack of certainty (on the part of the scientists, not you), while more scientifically 'honest' is doing far, far more harm than good. Every time something like this comes up it's always couched in terms that mean the message people get is 'well it could be climate change but we can't be sure, who knows?' - and frankly there's no time for any doubt or anything that discourages action anymore. There wasn't even time five years ago. Climate change deniers and businessmen in suits crying about how environmental policies will cut into :cry: MY PROFITS :cry: just need to get out of the way or be ignored because clearly nothing is going to get done the way things are currently going.

But of course this will never happen because liberals are just not good at the screechy, emotional messaging that Gets poo poo Done :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

a lovely poster posted:

Don't worry, most of the fish we eat are well on their way to extinction. With any luck they won't have to suffer through ocean acidification.

I've also seen a composite image of like 20-30 graphs with the fish we eat and they are already at fractions of what they used to be and are headed to zero. Don't remember where I saw it but that film gives you a pretty good overview of where we're at, which is pretty much hosed.
Turns out that documentary is on Netflix; very depressing. I wish we could move towards scientific advice being given less in the form of sterile reports and couched warnings, and start pointing fingers directly at politicians and demanding an explanation as to why they are actively supporting the destruction of the ecosystem. I just don't share the presenters' optimism that anything will change; it's probably time that somebody starts drafting action plans for 'what do we do after we have eaten literally all of the fish' - either it will get somebody's attention or we'll be getting prepared for the inevitable.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ccs posted:

It's an incredibly frightening article, and makes any other information about climate change I've read seem positively optimistic. Wondering what you guys think.

That Rolling Stone article posted:

You can have a healthy fossil-fuel balance sheet, or a relatively healthy planet – but now that we know the numbers, it looks like you can't have both.
That right there pretty much sums up the whole issue. The economy as we know it is fundamentally incompatible with a sound environmental strategy. I can't think of any possible scenario that would convince the government and people of the US to radically change their economic expectations essentially overnight, and this is why I have to admit to being pretty fatalistic about all this.

Do what you can to move to somewhere out of the way with a close-knit community and become collectively self-sufficent. I'm open to better ideas.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Ender posted:

The NOAA measurements for CO2 concentration were about 391.5~ PPM for 2011.

Here are the various trend models used by the IPCC - and bear in mind, the IPCC's numbers are optimistic:

We're not 'on track' for the A1B model, which what we need to trend with if we wanted to aim for a 'mere' 2-6 degree increase. And, rather than reducing our output, we're actually increasing our output - and we're doing so much more rapidly than any of these pretty 'tame' models calculates for.

The worst case model, A1Fl (which is considered an end-game, extinction-level scenario, by the way), is what we're most closely tracking to right now - and that one suggests 5-6 degrees worth of warming by 2100, and we can assume that things only get worse from there due to feedback.
This is a great selection of charts - where did you get them from? I'd love to be able to find something like this in higher resolution, or ideally with annotations explaining what the differences in each model are (if it can be dumbed down to layperson-speak).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wakko posted:

Mixing our apocalyptic scenarios for a moment: one nice aspect of reaching a global peak in oil production is that it's unlikely we'll be able to pump out much of remaining fossil fuels in the ground. The big oil exporters are going to start depleting their fields before we can get at that sweet arctic crude, and hopefully global civilization will experience a cascading failure of organization much sooner. Not to say we may not hit 2C anyway, but our current economic organization has set us up to be largely self-limiting.
Don't worry, there's still a pretty good amount of coal left that we can get to and inefficiently burn / convert into other fuels we need.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The article it's attached to (http://energybulletin.net/stories/2012-09-20/arctic-death-spiral-new-local-shipping-and-drilling-pollution-may-speed-polar-war) doesn't contain much new information, but I thought you guys might enjoy this horrifying graph:

Won't it be fun to tell the grandchildren about the days when there used to be two polar ice caps?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

global tetrahedron posted:

I hope people like that dude will be around when the cracks really start to show. I mean, they're on display right now, but they will become too big to ignore. How will they keep up their cognitive dissonance then?
Facts do not have a great track record of getting idiots to change their minds.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Just in case you were still tempted to feel the slightest bit optimistic about any of this:

An Illustrated Guide to the Science of Global Warming Impacts: How We Know Inaction Is the Gravest Threat Humanity Faces

quote:

In this post, I will summarize what the recent scientific literature says are the key impacts we face in the coming decades if we stay anywhere near our current emissions path. These include:

Staggeringly high temperature rise, especially over land — some 10°F over much of the United States
Permanent Dust Bowl conditions over the U.S. Southwest and many other regions around the globe that are heavily populated and/or heavily farmed.
Sea level rise of some 1 foot by 2050, then 4 to 6 feet (or more) by 2100, rising some 6 to 12 inches (or more) each decade thereafter
Massive species loss on land and sea — perhaps 50% or more of all biodiversity.
Unexpected impacts — the fearsome “unknown unknowns”
Much more extreme weather
Food insecurity — the increasing difficulty of feeding 7 billion, then 8 billion, and then 9 billion people in a world with an ever-worsening climate.
Myriad direct health impacts

Remember, these will all be happening simultaneously and getting worse decade after decade. Equally tragic, a 2009 NOAA-led study found the worst impacts would be “largely irreversible for 1000 years.”

I'm not going to quote the whole thing because it's goddamn long and has charts and links out the wazoo, but if you wanted a roundup of just how hosed we are in every arena then this should really brighten your day.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

On this topic, 'Radio Ecoshock' (who I have never heard of before) have done a show (with transcript) that appears to go into this issue and Russ George's motivations a bit more. I'll be honest, I haven't had time to read through the transcript yet but here's a choice quote from the end:

quote:

Saying the ocean is dying, George tells us humans must take over these last wild places on Earth. We'll convert the open ocean into "pastures" like agribusiness on the seas, farming plankton and the fish. We'll dump iron every year. I'm thinking maybe we'll introduce new genetically modified species, who knows? The dying ocean is ours to play with and command.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cobweb Heart posted:

From reading this thread I've gathered (please tell me if this is inaccurate) that our best-case scenario for avoiding Atheist Rapture is a revolution of awareness on the local scale, destabilizing the grip of oil companies on the government, and putting into practice a combined bunch of bizarre schemes that hopefully don't have any negative side effects (filling the Sahara with eucalyptus, manufacturing engineered carbon algae, setting up thorium reactors).

But I'm just seventeen. Is there anything I can do to help mitigate the crushing monolith of despair weighing on our hearts? Take a bicycle trip across the country and plant bamboo everywhere I go? Promote the growth of kudzu and hope that it ends up eating our CO2 before it eats all our other plants? Convince people to wear more white?
Don't have any kids? Get used to not eating much meat? And if you and all your friends could rustle up a pitchfork-wielding mob to march on DC to let politicians know that if they don't start taking this seriously the younger generation will tear their skin off and fashion it into commemorative hats, that'd be just swell.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tatankatonk posted:

specific instances of habitat destruction and poaching is one thing, but, the implications of AGW for ecosystems worldwide broadly means all the complex nonhuman near-sapient mammals everywhere are probably gonna go extinct. And it makes him sad that all the whales and tigers are gonna be dead.
This makes me sad. gently caress :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

duck monster posted:

Prepare to VIOLENTLY VOMIT ON EVERYTHING

http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/11/three-climate-contrarians-vie-to-lead-house-science-committee/

The GOPs making a huge push on taking over the house science committee with denialists. That much is standard fare.

Now, ready with the barf bag? Here goes!

From: http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/11/representative-dana-rohrabacher-.html?ref=hp

Chunks everywhere! :barf:
Yea, I was going to post this yesterday. But of course while this is going on there's a steady stream of bad news from elsewhere:

World Bank Climate Change Report Warns of Dramatically Warmer World This Century (You can download the full report towards the top right of the page)

quote:

Rising Sea Levels

The report says sea levels have been rising faster in the last two decades than previously, and this rise is being seen in many tropical regions of the world. This phenomenon is partly due to melting of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets; the rapid growth in melt area observed since the 1970s in Greenland’s ice sheet is a clear illustration of its increasing vulnerability. Arctic sea ice also reached a record minimum in September 2012. "There are indications that the greatest melt extent in the past 225 years has occurred in the last decade," says the report.

"It’s early yet but clearly some of the small island states and coastal communities are beginning to take a hard look at their options," said Erick Fernandes, co-lead of the Bank’s Global Expert Team on Climate Change Adaptation. "The need to adapt to climate change will increase as global population reaches 9 billion in 2050," he added.

Ocean Acidification

Coral reefs are acutely sensitive to changes in water temperature and acidity levels. The report warns that by the time the warming levels reach 1.4° C in 2030s, coral reefs may stop growing. This would be a result of oceans becoming more acidic as a result of higher CO2 concentrations. And with 2.4° C, coral reefs in several areas may actually start to dissolve. This is likely to have profound consequences for people who depend on them for food, income, tourism and shoreline protection.

Heat Extremes

A 4°C warmer world would also suffer more extreme heat waves, and these events will not be evenly distributed across the world, according to the report.

Sub-tropical Mediterranean, northern Africa, the Middle East, and the contiguous United States are likely to see monthly summer temperatures rise by more than 6°C. Temperatures of the warmest July between 2080-2100 in the Mediterranean are expected to approach 35°C – about 9°C warmer than the warmest July estimated for the present day. The warmest July month in the Sahara and the Middle East will see temperatures as high as 45°C, or 6-7°C above the warmest July simulated for the present day.

Lower agricultural yields

Hotter weather could in turn lower crop yields in a 4°C world—raising concerns about future food security. Field experiments have shown that crops are highly sensitive to temperatures above certain thresholds. One study cited in the report found that each “growing degree day” spent at a temperature of 30 degrees decreases yields by 1% under drought-free rain-fed conditions.

The report also says drought-affected areas would increase from 15.4% of global cropland today, to around 44% by 2100. The most severely affected regions in the next 30 to 90 years will likely be in southern Africa, the United States, southern Europe and Southeast Asia, says the report. In Africa, the report predicts 35% of cropland will become unsuitable for cultivation in a 5°C world.

Risks to Human Support Systems

The report identifies severe risks related to adverse impacts on water availability, particularly in northern and eastern Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia. River basins like the Ganges and the Nile are particularly vulnerable. In Amazonia, forest fires could as much double by 2050. The world could lose several habitats and species with a 4°C warming.

Non-linear impacts

As global warming approaches and exceeds 2°C, there is a risk of triggering nonlinear tipping elements. Examples include the disintegration of the West Antarctic ice sheet leading to more rapid sea-level rise, or large-scale Amazon dieback drastically affecting ecosystems, rivers, agriculture, energy production, and livelihoods. This would further add to 21st-century global warming and impact entire continents.

Also:
European Environment Agency - Climate change, impacts and vulnerability in Europe 2012 (Even the summary for this one is 34 pages long so I'm not going to bore everybody with more quotes. I think we're all familiar with the content of this sort of thing by now.)

Honestly? At this point I'm just completely fatigued and fatalistic. It's a joke to think that keeping below 2°C is at all plausible and the reports coming out seem to be pleading to at least try to remain below 4°C as an absolute last resort. As far as I can see there are still no credible ongoing efforts to make a serious effort to reduce emissions, and I feel like we'd need an absolute paradigm shift in what modern society is about in order to start making the radical changes needed. People still think that turning off the lights and walking to the shops is going to save the planet.

Reading all these reports feels like reading news reports of horrific natural disasters, counting up the dead bodies and recounting the suffering and damage. I can't shake the feeling that using any means necessary to depose the braindead fucks still somehow denying that this is even an issue is now a rational course of action in the long-term, and that holy poo poo, I'm mentally becoming an eco-terrorist. And I can't convince myself that that's an irrational mindset any more :smith:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Ender posted:

Whenever I get stupidly angry about this issue, to the point of fantasizing about some violent 'solution', I try to remind myself that avoiding a really violent future is exactly why I bother to get emotionally invested in the first place.
I wouldn't say I am 'fantasizing' about it, and I'm not about to actually go out and join a radicalist group or anything. But the argument in my mind goes like this: Incredibly educated, respected people have been trying to get change to happen for at least, what, 20+ years? With ever-increasing numbers in their ranks, with ever-increasing urgency, and ever-more dire warnings of what will happen if we don't start to make serious changes soon, then very soon, then right now. We're now at the point where the entire scientific community is effectively screaming, crying, and pointing out the window to where fragile ecosystems are melting away right in front of our eyes and during our lives, and the absolute best that has been achieved are some pathetically token gestures and increasingly surreal denial of the facts from half of the political sphere.

What do we do? The current approach isn't working and if nothing gets done then literally millions (if not billions) of people are going to actually die. We just don't have time to continue to have some farcical 'debate' about this with people who disagree. It's imperative that anybody who doesn't think this is an issue is ignored or pushed aside so that drastic measures can be taken.

Please, convince me that this is wrong somehow, because I am very aware that this sounds like a completely overboard fringe opinion, but I just don't see how the current approach to this is getting any results.

To be honest, given that pretty much every report I've read about climate change reports changes 'worse than expected' on most metrics, I suspect that in the next few years the scientific community will shift focus from 'attempting to avoid catastrophic climate change' to 'mitigating damage from the now-unstoppable catastrophic climate change'.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh dear me posted:

It doesn't sound overboard to me. There's just no reason to suppose eco-terrorism would do any good, either - is there?

Vermain posted:

It's not wrong, but it is somewhat fantastical, as though every key political actor who has a lot to lose in the immediate short-term by supporting policy that is essentially focused on deindustrialization can simply be "ignored" and not debated with when they are the ones holding all the cards.

As for eco-terrorism, it won't do a drat thing. Radical anti-Western groups - who are far more well-organized, well-funded, etc. than any current radical eco-terrorist groups - haven't accomplished a great deal of their agenda (Israel still exists; American incursions into the Middle East increased instead of decreased; etc.). The concept that bombing coal-fired plants or whatever would create effective political change - especially on a worldwide scale (because this is simply not a local issue anymore) - is a liberal revolutionary fantasy.
Yes, these points are very correct, and I apologise for flying off the handle.

Vermain posted:

The best possible thing to do is to actively pursue and support policy options that are tenable in the current political/economic environment, because we simply do not have the time for a worldwide eco-socialist revolution with how things are accelerating. Something like the development of a solid nuclear infrastructure would help to ameliorate emissions from coal-fired plants, at the least, as well as being relatively tenable due to the massive amount of employment that would be required in order to build and operate it.
...however, I still believe that this approach has, and continues to, achieve essentially nothing other than making people feel good about 'doing something'. We can all describe how things could and should change, but they simply aren't. If the situation was more like gay rights - still behind where we should be but gradually making progress in the right direction - then I would agree that campaigning and support for progressive policies to keep the momentum going would be worthwhile. But as it stands... well, like I said, I'm pretty defeatist now. Sorry.

Edit:

Vermain posted:

Focusing on helping to develop local resiliency - creating secondary food sources via personal or community gardens, for example - is probably the best "effective" thing that you can do at the moment, quite frankly.
Forgot to add - this I do agree with. Several commentators I've read on this subject have voiced opinions that we are transitioning into a world where the current governmental system is simply not going to be able to protect us like we're used to, and I do think the best thing each person or family can do is find or form a strong, small interdependent community as unreliant on outside sources for basic needs as possible. (For example, I've considered one day relocating to the small village of Chew Magna because of its 'Go Zero' project, but there are several other places of similar interest that I've found.)

TACD fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 23, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

New Scientist Special Report: 7 Reasons Climate Change Is 'Even Worse Than We Thought'

Nearly 3 years ago, the late William R. Freudenburg discussed in a AAAS presentation how new scientific findings since the 2007 IPCC report are found to be more than twenty times as likely to indicate that global climate disruption is “worse than previously expected,” rather than “not as bad as previously expected.” As he said at the time:

Reporters need to learn that, if they wish to discuss ‘both sides’ of the climate issue, the scientifically legitimate ‘other side’ is that, if anything, global climate disruption is likely to be significantly worse than has been suggested in scientific consensus estimates to date.

So it’s good to see New Scientist make just that point in its special issue on climate change:

Five years ago, the last report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change painted a gloomy picture of our planet’s future. As climate scientists gather evidence for the next report, due in 2014, Michael Le Page gives seven reasons why things are looking even grimmer

The 7 reasons are below, with links to their respective articles. Since they are all behind a paywall, I’ll provide links to Climate Progress articles on the same subject:

The thick sea ice in the Arctic Ocean was not expected to melt until the end of the century. If current trends continue, summer ice could be gone in a decade or two. Read more (or see “Death Spiral Watch: Experts Warn ‘Near Ice-Free Arctic In Summer’ In A Decade If Volume Trends Continue“).

We knew global warming was going to make the weather more extreme. But it’s becoming even more extreme than anyone predicted. Read more (or see “NOAA Bombshell: Warming-Driven Arctic Ice Loss Is Boosting Chance of Extreme U.S. Weather“).

Global warming was expected to boost food production. Instead, food prices are soaring as the effects of extreme weather kick in. Read more (or see “Oxfam Warns Climate Change And Extreme Weather Will Cause Food Prices To Soar” and links therein).

Greenland’s rapid loss of ice mean we’re in for a rise of at least 1 metre by 2100, and possibly much more. Read more (or see “Greenland Ice Sheet Melt Nearing Critical ‘Tipping Point’” and links therein).

The planet currently absorbs half our CO2emissions. All the signs are it won’t for much longer. Read more (or see “Carbon Feedback From Thawing Permafrost Will Likely Add 0.4°F – 1.5°F To Total Global Warming By 2100” and “Drying Peatlands and Intensifying Wildfires Boost Carbon Release Ninefold“).

If we stopped emitting CO2 tomorrow, we might be able to avoid climate disaster. In fact we are still increasing emissions. Read more (or see “The IEA And Others Warn Of Some 11°F Warming by 2100 on current emissions path”)

If the worst climate predictions are realised, vast swathes of the globe could become too hot for humans to survive. Read more (or see “An Illustrated Guide to the Science of Global Warming Impacts“)
(Links to articles available at source)

And meanwhile...

quote:

Gas tanker Ob River attempts first winter Arctic crossing

A large tanker carrying liquified natural gas (LNG) is set to become the first ship of its type to sail across the Arctic.

The carrier, Ob River, left Norway in November and has sailed north of Russia on its way to Japan.

The specially equipped tanker is due to arrive in early December and will shave 20 days off the regular journey.

The owners say that changing climate conditions and a volatile gas market make the Arctic transit profitable.

Long-term preparation
Built in 2007 with a strengthened hull, the Ob River can carry up to 150,000 cubic metres of gas. The tanker was loaded with LNG at Hammerfest in the north of Norway on 7 November and set sail across the Barents Sea. It has been accompanied by a Russian nuclear-powered icebreaker for much of its voyage.

The ship, with an international crew of 40, has been chartered from its Greek owners Dynagas by the Russian Gazprom energy giant. It says it has been preparing for the trip for over a year.

"It's an extraordinarily interesting adventure," Tony Lauritzen, commercial director at Dynagas, told BBC News.

"The people on board have been seeing polar bears on the route. We've had the plans for a long time and everything has gone well."

Mr Lauritzen says that a key factor in the decision to use the northern route was the recent scientific record on melting in the Arctic.

"We have studied lots of observation data - there is an observable trend that the ice conditions are becoming more and more favourable for transiting this route. You are able to reach a highly profitable market by saving 40% of the distance, that's 40% less fuel used as well."

But melting ice is not the only factor. A major element is the emergence of shale gas in the US.

The Norwegian LNG plant at Hammerfest was developed with exports to the US in mind. But the rapid uptake of shale in America has curbed the demand for imported gas.

Meanwhile in Japan, in the wake of the Fukushima nuclear disaster, there has been a growing interest in alternative power sources, especially gas.

The retreating ice is opening up new sea routes from the Atlantic to the Pacific
"The major point about gas is that it now goes east and not west," says Gunnar Sander, senior adviser at the Norwegian Polar Institute and an expert on how climate change impacts economic activity in the Arctic.

"The shale gas revolution has turned the market upside down; that plus the rapid melting of the polar ice."

He stresses that the changes in climate are less important than the growing demand for oil and gas.

"The major driver is the export of resources from the Arctic region, not the fact that you can transit across the Arctic sea."

There is an expectation that because of changing climactic conditions, sea traffic across the northern sea route will increase rapidly. 2012 has been a record year both for the length of the sailing season and also for the amount of cargo that has been shipped.

But Gunnar Sander says there are limits to the growth and some perspective is required.

"Nineteen thousand ships went through the Suez canal last year; around 40 went through the northern sea route. There's a huge difference."
So at least there's a silver lining to that 'melting Arctic ice' issue! Let's see if we can find an upside to those other six points and this whole situation won't seem nearly as bad.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

UP AND ADAM posted:

Hopefully America is disabused of its infinite growth fairytale soon, because judging just from the rhetoric of the 2012 election there is very little clarity on this issue to most of America, and the mainstream media completely ignores it.
I think this is a core part of the problem and is a real sticking point. The whole consumerist / endless growth paradigm is so baked in to modern Western life at this point that most people don't even realise it's there. And once you take growth out of the picture pretty much every element of modern society comes tumbling down, which is when people fall back on the old "that's absolutely unconscionable and must therefore be untrue" fallacy.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

Does anyone with applicable knowledge or experience care to comment on this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15717989

Basically a reasonably large (well kinda) and inhabited British island wants to become self sufficient in energy using 'a waste to energy plant, solar panels and tidal and geothermal power.' and I also heard they have plans for self sufficiency of food. Pipedream? Impractical? Potentially a blueprint? I really don't know but hopefully one of you does!
Wow, I'd never heard of this and my parents live on the mainland not too far away from the Isle of Wight. I've been there but I can't really tell you anything you couldn't get from Wikipedia. It's pretty rural and I could totally see them pulling off energy self-sufficiency. Good for them for giving it a shot. This is making it an attractive possibility for somewhere to settle down someday :)

MrBond posted:

Are there good resources on what an individual can do to decrease carbon footprints?
I believe it was discussed earlier in the thread, but basically don't have kids. Any other actions you take absolutely pale into insignificance when compared against the savings from not adding to the planet's population. I'm becoming more and more solidly convinced that having kids would not only be irresponsible of me because of the environment, but because I know for certain that any children I have would grow up on an increasingly hostile planet with diminishing resources and probably not enough food :(

TACD fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 4, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Terrifying news, everybody!

quote:

Global carbon dioxide emissions are set to rise again this year, putting the world on a path toward dangerous climate change and making the internationally-accepted warming target of 2 degrees Celsius nearly “unachievable,” say researchers.

According to a new paper published yesterday in the journal Nature Climate Change, carbon dioxide emissions will rise by 2.6 percent this year, fueled by major increases in China and India. This follows a record year in 2011, when countries pumped 3.1 percent more global warming pollution into the atmosphere — making it very likely that the world will blow past the 2 degree C warming threshold that scientists and international negotiators agree is needed to avoid catastrophic consequences.

Some even call global warming of 2 degrees C, which is on the lowest end of projections, a “prescription for disaster.”

Here’s how one of the report’s authors characterized the problem when talking to The Guardian:

“I am worried that the risks of dangerous climate change are too high on our current emissions trajectory. We need a radical plan,” said co-author Corinne Le Quéré, director of the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research in Britain and professor at the University of East Anglia.

Current emissions growth is placing the world on a path to warm between 4C and 6C, says the study, with global emissions jumping 58% between 1990 and this year. The study focuses on emissions from burning fossil fuels and cement production.

“Unless large and concerted global mitigation efforts are initiated soon, the goal of remaining below 2C will soon become unachievable,” say the authors.

The findings come during the COP18 international climate talks in Doha, Qatar, where observers have low expectations for any agreements to reduce carbon emissions. The world’s two biggest emitters — China and the U.S. — are quietly setting up a framework for a possible international climate treaty after 2015. In the meantime, global warming pollution continues unabated and scientists warn that the window for action is closing fast.

“We are losing control of our ability to get a handle on the global warming problem,” said Canadian Climate Scientist Andrew Weaver, responding to the latest data on carbon emissions.

Last week, the World Bank issued a report sumarizing the latest climate science. It concluded that the world is on track for 4 degrees Celsius warming by the end of the century — an extremely dangerous rise in temperature that ensure “extreme heat-waves, declining global food stocks, loss of ecosystems and biodiversity, and life-threatening sea level rise.”
Source link

Well, maybe not news, I don't think this is a surprise to anybody. But I'm going to change the way I frame this conversation to people now; there's no point in talking about trying to avoid this catastrophe.

TACD fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 4, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Invisible Handjob posted:

It's been said before, but I wonder if in 30-50 years we will be facing the results of these models or the results of whatever half-baked geoengineering scheme gets launched in the meantime. Or both, assuming said scheme fails to lower temperatures and just has some other terrible effect on the environment.
I would be shocked if we didn't see increasing numbers of desperate geo-engineering schemes put into place by nations and other groups imperiled by the more immediate effects of climate change. (Remember this?) Then climate deniers can point to the actions of 'rogue eco-terrorists' as exactly the sort of harm they expected 'global warmists' to cause.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don't know if anybody else has been following the live coverage of the Doha climate talks, but there's some choice quotes in there (and hold on to your hats, but it looks like it's been pretty disappointing overall).

Asad Rehman, spokesperson for Friends of the Earth International posted:

It's an empty shell, an insult to our futures. There is literally no point in countries signing up to this sham of a deal, which will lock the planet in to many more years of inaction. What the world and its people need is more urgent action on cutting climate pollution, more help to those transforming their economies and more help to those already facing climate impacts. This text fails on every count.

LIdy Nacpil of Jubilee South Asia Pacific posted:

[The Doha texts are] a million miles from where we need to be to even have a small chance of preventing runaway climate change. As civil society movements, we are saying that this is not acceptable.

The Philippines' negotiator almost broke down in tears during his speech - later followed by goggle-eyed chump Christopher Monckton giving this short speech and being subsequently kicked out of the talks and apparently permabanned from the UNFCCC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjC-MMKwRY

Plenty of blame to go around but many people are apparently not happy with how the event has been organised.

quote:

...A source at the talks, who asked not to be named, accused the Qatari's of treating the event like they were hosting a World Cup instead of a climate conference.
"It's total chaos," they told BusinessGreen. "The Qataris have lost control of what's going on and it's a car crash.
"The COP president didn't take control of the talks in the last three days, so we don't have agreements on a couple of the really difficult technicalities that should have been sorted by now."
Fears are now mounting that, at best, COP18 will result in a weak draft text being agreed or, at worst, no deal being reached at all...
Source link

Guardian environment correspondent Fiona Harvey posted:

Haven't spoken to a single delegate who thinks the Qataris are doing a good job. They don't seem to mind people being here all night and have failed to force countries to make a decision. They need to get a grip, I'm told, perhaps with the aid of other countries.

And further confirmation that we're as good as locked in to 2°C at this point.

Prof Nigel Arnell, Director of the Walker Institute at the University of Reading posted:

The talks in Doha are trying hard to set the agenda for a new global treaty in 2015 binding countries to reductions in emissions. However, to have even a 50% chance of limiting warming to 2C, global greenhouse emissions need to peak by 2020 and then come down at several percent per year. It’s hard to see how this can be achieved now, even if a new global emissions deal is agreed by 2015.

Bob Ward, policy and communications director at the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at London School of Economics and Political Science posted:

This meeting is making excruciatingly slow progress on tying up issues left over from last year, including formal agreement on a second commitment period for the Kyoto Protocol and on the provision of financial support from rich countries to developing countries between 2013 and 2020. It is important that these issues are resolved during this summit, even though the negotiations are running on beyond their scheduled finish.

There remains an enormous mismatch between the scale and pace of the action under discussion at these talks and that which is required to manage the huge risks of climate change. In particular, there has been no real progress in strengthening current pledges to reduce emissions by 2020. The prospects of avoiding global warming of more than 2C now look increasingly remote without a rapid and substantial injection political will at both domestic and international levels.

This is all just from today's session. They're running over into an extra day of negotiations tomorrow and I'm sure there will be plenty of good summary coverage afterwards, but... yeah. :smith:

Also: diagrams!

(From http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/dec/07/carbon-dioxide-doha-information-beautiful)

TACD fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yea, I saw that and thought immediately of this news item from a few days ago:

quote:

...the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report, due for release in stages between September 2013 and October 2014, will not include the potential effects of the permafrost carbon feedback on global climate.
Source

So basically even though the next IPCC report isn't due until 2014 (at which point the deniers will inevitably start up their banshee shriek about alarmism) we already know it's going to ignore at least this one significant feedback effect entirely. Which will mean all their estimates downplay the actual risks / effects by some unknown enormous amount.

TACD fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 9, 2012

• Locked thread