Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Morose Man posted:

One phrase sounds alarming but puzzles imbeciles. One phrase sounds non-alarming which stacks with all the other cognitive problems I mentioned to guarantee we will never address this problem until we see Los Angeles drown.

I know which one I prefer.

:hfive: I prefer Arizona Bay too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Right but the data doesn't indicate that the temperature change rate is greater or lesser than previous events because that's not how the data works. Look at the K/T boundary which likely had much much much greater rates of change than now and yeah, there's a mass extinction event, but it didn't mean all life died off. That which survived, evolved.

This must be very comforting to the yet-to-be methane breathing post-humans.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Hah, are you joking?

Release of methane stored in the Arctic permafrost is dangerous because methane is a much stronger greenhouse gas than CO2, not because we're going to suddenly have a methane-dominant atmosphere.

It isn't even a toxic gas, if that's what you're thinking. Biologically speaking, we could tolerate huge amounts of it just fine, as long as there was still sufficient oxygen in the air.
If you'd just answered "yes" to your first question you wouldn't have had to type all that. The one-liner was a joke response to what one could read from between the lines of wafflehound's "this kind of thing has happened before" statement.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 9, 2011

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

There's no groundwater contamination from fracking at all. Every single instance of gas in groundwater and other contamination is in areas that have had a long history of that exact contaminant in the groundwater. It seems people really only seem to pay attention to contaminants after someone fracks in the area. There was a documentary on fracking in the US which while interesting, completely ignored records from the loving 1800s of gas in drinking water. In fact, the groundwater fracturing isn't even massive enough to cause the kind of contamination people accuse it of.
[...]
e. To be more specific, the hydrostatic pressure that fracking puts on the rock around the pipe isn't great enough to cause leakage into the groundwater and aquifers that people are saying are getting contaminated. It simply doesn't work that way. You're fracking rock in the first place because it has poor permiability and it's not like areas that get fracked have incredibly nonuniform deposition with surrounding high-permeability rock that would allow contamination in the first place. If it did, you wouldn't need to frack it.
The EPA doesn't agree.

http://www.epa.gov/region8/superfund/wy/pavillion/EPA_ReportOnPavillion_Dec-8-2011.pdf

"Elevated levels of dissolved methane in domestic wells generally increase in those wells in proximity to gas production wells. [...] A mud-gas log conducted in 1980 (prior to intensive gas production well installation) located only 300 m from the location of the blowout does not indicate a gas show (distinctive peaks on a gas chromatograph) within 300 meters of the surface. [...] Although some natural migration of gas would be expected above a gas field such as Pavillion, data
suggest that enhanced migration of gas has occurred within ground water at depths used for domestic water supply and to domestic wells."

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Actually, the EPA does agree. Read the article you yourself linked, and you'll find that the migration they're discussing isn't from fracking, but is from disposal pits:

Can I get a recap on this?

First you tell us there's no groundwater contamination from fracking, then I copy the bits of a study that say that's not true based on elevated methane levels compared to historical data in the surveyed area. Then you tell me you're correct based on data from shallow pits but the study specifically refuses to link shallow and deep contamination as having only one source. There is a discrepancy here which I would like explained.

quote:

Natural breakdown products of organic contaminants like BTEX and glycols include acetate and benzoic acid; these breakdown products are more enriched in the
shallower of the two monitoring wells, suggesting upward/lateral migration with natural degradation and accumulation of daughter products (Corseuil et al. 2011, Caldwell and Suflita 2000, Dwyer and Tiedje 1983).
[...]
In addition, a condensate origin for BTEX compounds in ground water is doubtful because dissolved gas compositions and concentrations are similar between the two deep monitoring wells and therefore would yield similar liquid condensates, yet the compositions and concentrations of organic compounds detected in these wells are quite different (Figure 17) further suggesting a deep source of BTEX in MW02.
[...]
Although contamination was detected in some domestic wells proximal to the deep monitoring wells, underscoring potential future risk, the existing data at this time do not establish a definitive link between deep and shallow contamination of the aquifer.

When quoting the report:

quote:

In fact, the EPA also points out what I say (note that this explanation was provided by the EPA):
...you could have for honesty's sake mentioned that you're not quoting an actual conclusion of the investigation but an alternative explanation that was provided and considered. However, "[a]lthough some natural migration of gas would be expected above a gas field such as Pavillion, data suggest that enhanced migration of gas has occurred to ground water at depths used for domestic watersupply and to domestic wells."

This paragraph is right down from what you quoted:

quote:

A lines of reasoning approach utilized at this site best supports an explanation that inorganic and organic constituents associated with hydraulic fracturing have contaminated ground water at and below the depth used for domestic water supply. However, further investigation would be needed to determine if organic compounds associated with hydraulic fracturing have migrated to domestic wells in the area of investigation. A lines of evidence approach also indicates that gas production activities have likely enhanced gas migration at and below depths used for domestic water supply and to domestic wells in the area of investigation.

Can you please explain how this all relates to poor disposal practices and poor disposal practices only?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sure! What you're seeing is "fracking fluids may be involved in the contamination" and what I'm pointing out is that the reason for that is improper disposal of said fluids after fracking. Not "as a result of fracking" but "as a result of some chucklefucks disposing of waste in the groundwater lens."
So do you have any proof for this assertion that only improper disposal is the cause?

quote:

Holy gently caress, fracking improves gas migration? Well that's news! Of course, that is a discussion of "at depth" and not "outside of the fracking radius and directly into the aquifer." In fact, that very same paragraph contains this line:
You state it as obvious that fracking improves migration. I assume people having to ventilate their houses after showering can be said to be a form of pollution, from which would follow that if fracking improves gas migration, and if the study states as it does that there was a clear upward trend in the amount of methane in nearby watersources after a new gas well was installed, then the act of fracking can be said to cause groundwater contamination (remember "enhanced" migration was differentiated from natural migration so some process other than nature is at play), unless of course you mean that improperly disposed fracking fluids are the cause of this migration.

"A comparison of gas composition and stable carbon isotope values indicate that gas in production and monitoring wells is of similar thermogenic origin and has undergone little or no degradation. A similar evaluation in domestic wells suggests the presence of gas of thermogenic origin undergoing biodegradation. This observation is consistent with a pattern of dispersion and degradation with upward migration observed for organic compounds."

Is the gas itself not a pollutant that is present directly because of fracking activity? Or is it present only because of dumping?
The bit from EPA you quote:
"However, further investigation would be needed to determine if organic compounds associated with hydraulic fracturing have migrated to domestic wells in the area of investigation."
I don't see how it supports your assertion of contamination through disposal but not other possibilities since the statement is very noncommittal.

quote:

"the existing data at this time do not establish a definitive link between deep and shallow contamination of the aquifer."
This line backs up my statements regarding contamination being from disposal and not deep fracturing. Hope that helps.
How exactly? Please elaborate. If no definitive link is established, yet you establish one without batting an eyelash by stating that it's all because of disposal, then your statements are not exactly backed up.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 12, 2011

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

There are two different stages of contamination being discussed. I repeatedly have tried to distinguish them,
Apart from the fleeting mention of "initial contamination during fracking" you've very much rested on dumping as the source of contaminants.

You:
"There's no groundwater contamination from fracking at all. Every single instance of gas in groundwater and other contamination is in areas that have had a long history of that exact contaminant in the groundwater."

So there's no contamination from fracking? What then are these multiple stages of contamination if fracking is not one?

quote:

but there is the upper contamination phase near the groundwater lens (which the EPA study indicated is from disposal) and there's the lower potential phase of contamination, for which there is no indication of fracking being at fault. Seriously, there is not one continuous phase of contamination and you can't point to the upper lensing and say "See! It's all fracking's fault!"

No indication? Before I go further into that please note that nobody here has made the cartoon claim you're propping up. Nobody's claiming a single source of pollution (although you very much argue for one) or blames the process of fracking but instead the companies engaged in it, to whom we owe eternal gratitude both for their dumping practices and their working methods. As for no indication, let's go back to EPA:

quote:

[W]hen considered together with other lines of evidence, the data indicates likely impact to ground water that can be explained by hydraulic fracturing. A review of well completion reports and cement bond/variable density logs in the area around MW01 and MW02 indicates instances of sporadic bonding outside production casing directly above intervals of hydraulic fracturing. Also, there is little lateral and vertical continuity of hydraulically fractured tight sandstones and no lithologic barrier (laterally continuous shale units) to stop upward vertical migration of aqueous constituents of hydraulic fracturing in the event of excursion from fractures. In the event of excursion from sandstone units, vertical migration of fluids could also occur via nearby wellbores. For instance, at one production well, the cement bond/variable density log indicates no cement until 671 m below ground surface. Hydraulic fracturing occurred above this depth at nearby production wells.

Back to you:

quote:

This is a science, not a religion. You can have faith in your answer, but I am a scientist and this is my field. I know more about this matter than you no matter how much you want to believe otherwise, unless you're a secret geologist and not telling any of us. I think you'll find my stance pretty universal among geologists and the only reason anyone gives a poo poo about fracking is because a bunch of people got the idea that correlation = causation firmly wedged up their butt until their congressmen started taking a look, at which point the oil companies did some studies (along with numerous academic institutions) and people started screaming that big oil is lying to us.

This paragraph could have been a link or something but instead it's just a long "I know more than you do." Demonstrate it.

quote:

Here, listen to this starting at about 3:30, the guy giving the interview is a fantastic structural geologists and explains this all in very easy to understand terms.
I listened a little further and the only thing I can say is that the mechanical process is not under review. The effects are, and some of the discussion regarding that by your fantastic structural geologist, especially the part around 13 minutes where he describes fracking as a possible source of groundwater contamination even when done right, is directly at odds with your statement that fracking does not cause it. Should I believe you as an expert or him?

"There's no groundwater contamination from fracking at all."

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Well, there's one that exists and one that doesn't. Deep groundwater contamination from fracking being the latter kind of contamination.

No. What are the multiple stages of contamination that you refer to? You insinuated there are more than dumping. Which is it, only dumping or other sources as well, and if the latter, which?

quote:

"If it's done safely, the biggest risk is that the fracturing puts a shale gas or hydrocarbon bearing rock in communication with a groundwater aquifer." Of course the next sentence makes it clear by clarifying if you're not being a stupid gently caress and fracking right beside an aquifer it isn't really an issue. Admittedly it is possible for contamination to occur if you're loving retarded about it.
But you just stated that it does not occur. I can't keep up with your changing opinion.

"There's no groundwater contamination from fracking at all. Every single instance of gas in groundwater and other contamination is in areas that have had a long history of that exact contaminant in the groundwater."

No not really. That's just your word. I want some sources on your assertions because you haven't been providing any. An expert would probably have some handy.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 12, 2011

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Right, and if you frack close to an aquifer, there will still have already been containment leakage by virtue of proximity. Therefore, contamination is not the fault of fracking.
This isn't logical. If contamination of groundwater by gas increases after fracking, fracking must surely be the cause. I realize you've been pushing some platonic form of fracking where everything goes perfectly and is done in a perfect environment as a demonstration of how the technique is perfectly safe. The problem with this line of thinking is that based on the condition of gas fields in the US and Canada, no company practices this platonic form. You can keep pushing the dumping perspective, but please explain how dumping increases methane in wells close to fracking sites because a proven link is missing although you've been insisting that dumping is the cause and the only cause.

quote:

There is contamination of the aquifer lens and contamination caused by deep reservoirs. The former is caused by disposal, the latter doesn't happen. The latter is also fracking.
So there is only one type of contamination because the other doesn't happen? You're circling back to your original argument about all contamination being from disposal, which according to the study I've quoted a whole lot just isn't true.

quote:

This is a stupid statement. It's not like I have a stack of fracking research papers handy but it's still very well known within geology and very well understood. I've already told you where to find papers that back up what I say.
I'm sorry but I'm not really interested in doing your work for you. If you want me to believe you, give me some evidence. I'm actually not at all convinced about your expertise.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 13, 2011

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

McDowell posted:

The 21st is gonna be a 3000 ft drop cutting edge steel coaster with triple inverted loops, water effects, and magnetic acceleration.
...with the construction safety rules waived.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Radd McCool posted:

Also, what's the viability of just planting a trillion trees? I've read that Freemon Dyson, the legendary physicist and mathematician, calcualted that about a trillion trees would solve our problem for some time. And as trees are wonderful, I'm heavily biased in favor of this.
It's actually a good question: what is the viability of planting a trillion trees? Did Dyson do anything but calculate the amount of trees needed to reduce carbon in the atmosphere? Does he have any idea where they should be put, with what resources, what they should use for nourishment, and what other impacts on the environment would they have? Probably not.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Paper Mac posted:

The occupations need to get hooked up with the food sovereignty movement ASAP. One major thing almost universally missing from the program was an awareness of agricultural issues- there's a general awareness that corporate agriculture is hosed up, but there wasn't any coherent effort that I saw to, say, occupy arable land, close nutrient loops, teach people polyculture techniques, etc. But I do appreciate the sentiment.
Do you know any website, organization or publication that I could turn to in order to begin to educate myself on these issues? I'd be obliged.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Ad Astra posted:

The difference between climate and weather is that you can reliably predict weather for a few days whereas climate can easily be predicted decades into the future.

If you have a coherent argument to make on the topic of this thread, do it. I haven't laughed yet today.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Killer robot posted:

The wealthy helping the poor to become less poor, whether by transfer of knowledge or actual transfer of goods, is not an evil thing. It may need care and thought to be useful rather than destructive, but so has every worthwhile tool we've developed back to fire, which doubtless was only adopted by neighboring tribes out of imperialism.
Thanks for the verbose fairy tales but the real face of imperialism is the wealthy helping a relatively small number of a subordinate society to wealth, enriching the imperialist nation as a whole and the subordinate in part (in ex-colonies this is easiest as the newly independent colony's bourgeois class instinctively betrays the other classes to seek a lifestyle that emulates the one of their former masters [*]). To believe that proceedings from such contracts are a source of wealth for the whole of the subordinate's population is basically an international version of the trickle down fallacy. The problem of imperialism nor the arguments against it are neither against the technology nor the knowledge but primarily against the way they are applied by imperialist nations in the real world.

You only need to look as far as India to see how many different faces the gifts of imperialism have, and whitewashing it into mindless applause for technological advance and the ever-nebulous "progress" is not acceptable, since based on their history Western imperial powers (or any imperial powers at all) are not capable nor will ever be capable of providing the enlightened guidance their stewardship promises.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 9, 2012

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

The Entire Universe posted:

I always saw a religious angle in digging/sucking poo poo out of the ground versus using pure sunlight and breezes to generate power.

Hell if I was an artist I would have long since painted some kind of diptych portraying coal miners as in the thrall of Satan while windmills and solar panels bask in the shimmering glory of the Almighty above ground.

This might be the book for you.
http://www.amazon.com/Cyclonopedia-Complicity-Materials-Reza-Negarestani/dp/0980544009

We are powered by corpse juice: a chtonic wine squeezed from a ripe crop of bodies interred by processes natural or mechanical, a vintage gran reservoir. I'm sorry to disturb your eternal rest but we have made room for you in our gas tank.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

spunkshui posted:

edit: If we do gently caress up the planet a lot of plants and animals might die off but we sure as hell wont. We can survive in Antarctica, we can survive in space, could survive on whatever hell hole we turn this place into.
The thought of being able to survive a self-caused disaster by switching a comfortable living for a pitiful precarious existence isn't exactly a radiant ray of hope.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

El Grillo posted:

http://energyfromthorium.com/
http://www.ted.com/talks/kirk_sorensen_thorium_an_alternative_nuclear_fuel.html (ignore the bit about generating fuels, the rest is pretty good though nowhere near as good as the full explanation:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M__yYbsZ4

I'm very interested in talking to someone (anyone, in this thread or anywhere else) who can really make a good critique of the LFTR concept and design. At the moment all the evidence seems to point to it being an incredible technology which could save the world, but I am naturally sceptical. This is balanced of course by the fact that China's started investing in LFTR development.

Seriously, anyone who can even just play devil's advocate on this subject, it would be really great, as I'm hoping to start giving talks about it around my uni in a few months.
Like TACD above, I can't offer any criticism of LFTR directly due to lack of competence, but if the announced timetables for first reactors I've seen are correct (20ish years), then the waiting time would certainly be feasible with regards to transition preparation and possible peak oil, but to the best of my understanding the climate can't afford that long.

I shouldn't come back here :smith:

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

McDowell posted:

We're gonna make great jobs for our kids picking through mountains of e-Waste!
Son, every day before we ascend the waste mountain we must say a prayer in thanks to our fathers who left us this pile of garbage.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

This is quoted from that article:

"CO2 is not a pollutant. Life on earth flourished for hundreds of millions of years at much higher CO2 levels than we see today. Increasing CO2 levels will be a net benefit because cultivated plants grow better and are more resistant to drought at higher CO2 levels, and because warming and other supposedly harmful effects of CO2 have been greatly exaggerated. Nations with affordable energy from fossil fuels are more prosperous and healthy than those without."

The author Happer himself is apparently not afraid to Godwin climatologists and the Dr. whose website he quotes is a proponent of intelligent design. ~a little googling is all it takes~

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Holy Calamity! posted:

So..uh, isn't that methane leak kind of a huge loving deal? I just caught up on this thread but why wasn't that more heavily publicized? People just want to continue ignoring it for their own mental wellbeing?
It was publicized surprisingly extensively (not PAGE 1 HEADLINES but I saw it on the same day in various top national medias of different countries), but because it's a rather abstract thing and most folks can't even spell clathrate (not dissing them, clathrates just ain't household items), the most worried folks once again are the ones who are most qualified to be worried :smith:

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I think blaming this situation on capitalism is missing the forest for the trees. This is a tragedy of the commons situation, and it probably would have happened under communism or socialism all the same. Capitalism has definitely sped up the process, but I don't think we would have avoided it by getting rid of capitalism alone.

The tragedy of the commons comes to be exactly because there is a motive to extract more private profit from the commons (if I can't expect to sell infinitely more cows by extracting infinitely more grass there is no point to expanding my grass extraction beyond my personal and my community's needs). Certainly it is possible to spend all available resources under any possible system but I refuse to accept that capitalism is not the main issue currently at hand when the economic system we labour under values production of metric tons of total garbage if there's profit involved.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 28, 2012

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I imagine he's referring to something akin to a Kantian State of Nature in which the strongest among us simple take and use whatever they want, be it food, property, or other humans. Considering the relatively brutish nature of human beings, I'm inclined to agree that a total collapse of society would mean a lot of forcible mating.
A collapse would. What's posted above about noncivilized societies and egalitarianism is absolutely true (in that there are many different modes of non-civ function and that oppression of women and rule by force is by no means an universal thing), but when an existing civilization collapses it doesn't nicely retreat into peaceful noncivilized behaviour. Failed states and the treatment of people and property in warzones may provide a better glimpse of the dynamics of a macro-organizational collapse into remnant hierarchies that cling on to pre-collapse behaviour.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Torka posted:

Is exceptional just being used as a superlative in that chart or is it meant literally in the sense of "this is something that doesn't usually happen"?

Both.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/classify.htm

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Goddamn posted:

How exactly is this any different from what occurs in even the smallest human groups of any sort? Replace "society" with "family" or "clan" or whatever. Hell, "party of 2". Isn't this very much human/animal nature? How are we exactly supposed to escape this by going back to nature, rather than striving to understand and overcome our psychological faults?
I'm not going to defend something I myself have not read yet but I do find it funny that you would argue against a primitivist with an appeal to nature.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Arkane posted:

My point was that within the sample of 1971 to 2010 or 1979 to 2012, we're not seeing acceleration in temperature rise predicted by climate models. Temperature has to accelerate VERY rapidly in order to get to some of the apocalyptic projections bandied about here. Do you recognize this?
Which projections specifically, and what is the matter with them, o weaver of weasel words?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Arkane posted:

The IPCC's projections from their most recent publication, the 4th Assessment Report (AR4). In the 12 years since their models began, our observations are "colder" than predicted. And we've yet to see any reason why they would speed up besides hypothetical discussions of feedback loops. We still don't have a firm grip on whether cloud cover changes will have a warming or cooling effect. It should be crystal clear that any predictions of catastrophic warming are contingent upon severe warming feedbacks. CO2 in and of itself will not do it, because as I said, each additional molecule in the atmosphere has an ever diminishing effect.
Yeah, I figured you were back to your old tricks, making your own conclusions from sources contrary to your position and claiming the result as scientific truth. Pitifully you can't even muster the stones to say 'I' instead of 'we' even though you are writing your very own opinions about feedback loops etc., opinions that find curiously little support here to warrant the use of the plural form.

I would additionally venture a guess that you're talking about 'catastrophic warming' instead of global warming in general as you did before because on the first page of this thread it specifically says that trying to derail the thread by questioning the latter will get you banned.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 7, 2012

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

jrodefeld posted:

I want you to defend that statement with facts. How can war, inherently a destructive and murderous activity, lead to economic prosperity?
Ask the owners of Raytheon, Halliburton, KBR, Xe, CACI, Exxon, Boeing, Lockheed and all the other scum that have gotten very prosperous with US tax payer money due to the US' obsession with foreign wars. Among the horribly misinformed opinions you've shat all over this page this one may be the dumbest. Your question would be logical only if the US used the weapons it builds to bomb itself, which sadly is not the case.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Arkane posted:

Hence the reason that I have scoffed at some of the apocalypse planning in this thread.
I don't give two shits what you scoff or don't scoff at. Your credibility as a participant in climate change discussion is nil due to your own past actions and it's frankly surprising that your Totally Not Denialism hasn't gotten you banned as per first page rules. Do the rest of us a favour and stop visiting because you don't have anything to contribute.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Why didn't you quote what preceded "Thus"? It's kind of important to establish context.

quote:

Our global paleotemperature reconstruction includes a so-called “uptick” in temperatures during the 20th-century. However, in the paper we make the point that this particular feature is of shorter duration than the inherent smoothing in our statistical averaging procedure, and that it is based on only a few available paleo-reconstructions of the type we used. Thus, the 20th century portion of our paleotemperature stack is not statistically robust, cannot be considered representative of global temperature changes, and therefore is not the basis of any of our conclusions.

Because it doesn't support your ramblings?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Arkane posted:

Actually, I'll limit it down even further:

"Cannot be considered representative of global climate changes"
versus
"Global temperatures are warmer than at any time in at least 4,000 years"

These sentences contradict each other.

And the idea that you could piggyback observations onto proxies (the infamous "trick" of Climategate fame) and equate them with each other - as the blogger quoted by rivetz has done - is unacceptable. Just nonsense and non-science.
There must be something more productive you can do with your time. :lol: if there isn't.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Arkane posted:

Changes are not happening "worse than originally projected." The reverse is true. Global temperature has been in stasis for over a decade, far below the predictions of climate models (leading to arguments about *WHY* the models have been so wrong).

gently caress you Arkane.

Also ITT: D&D mod promises worthless even when written down.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Arkane posted:

How does this make sense as a response to my question?
Do you not understand this climate science you pose as an expert commentator of? I am a layman idiot who can't even remember a single name behind the latest IPCC report and the response was completely obvious to me: your words can't reform sea ice.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Arkane posted:

Yeah, I agree with Bjorn Lomborg virtually 100% in principle on climate policies as they relate the developing world.
You have displayed about as much knowledge about economics and the developing world as you have about climatology ITT, which is nil. No wonder you'd cheerlead a joke the size of Lomborg without batting an eyelid.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

TACD posted:

None of these articles are more than a few days old at most. Rest assured that when Arkane's next denial cycle rolls around there will once again have been more reports of the direct consequences of climate change than is feasible to post.
What match is your lovely peer reviewed science to Arkane who has posted widely on this topic on online forums and has self-reviewed his position several times and concluded that it is correct?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Illuminti posted:

So with absolutely no evidence you are calling him an liar. More than that you are accusing him of lying with the goal of cynically smearing other climate scientist for the agenda of I guess Big Oil? The only information we have is from a well respected scientist saying he has been harassed and ostracized by his former colleagues and peers. I would assume the assumption for a person of his caliber would be that he's not a lying shill and should at least be afford a modicum of respect. But you are illustrating perfectly the mindset of the people who are harassing and cutting off ties with them. He's guilty by association, he's strayed from the true path, therefore he is wrong and the assumption should be has an evil agenda or is getting paid.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/16/rejected-climate-science-paper-environmental-research-letters

quote:

"The decision not to publish had absolutely nothing to do with any 'activism' on the part of the reviewers or the journal, as suggested in The Times' article; the rejection was solely based on the content of the paper not meeting the journal's high editorial standards. The referees selected to review this paper were of the highest calibre and are respected members of the international science community. The comments taken from the referee reports were taken out of context and therefore, in the interests of transparency, we have worked with the reviewers to make the full reports available."
[...]
"Looking at all the comments by the reviewer they suggested how the paper might be rewritten in the future to make it a solid contribution to science. That's not suppressing a dissenting view, it's what scientists call peer review."

Could it be that this row is actually more over one guy's bruised ego than climate science?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Arkane posted:

Probably the least controversial thing in this thread to say that the left/right divide is mostly about the size & role of government. It's endemic to every single political debate in the western world. As far as socialists or communists proper, who cares? That demographic is pretty much just unemployed people on the internet at this point.
This as many other talking points you put out is utter bullshit. You make a sweeping claim of politics in the entire western world without even noting that the very definition of what is a right wing position and what is a left varies quite some in the public discourse of western countries, for example in Scandinavia the general Republican positions on government and how it should be developed would be viewed as extremist and the American obsession with the specific size of the government apparatus does not exist at all. You make these poorly thought out claims a lot.

Also, your point on communists is very childish and perfectly showcases you for what you are and how much weight your knee-jerk opinions hold. There are probably more worthless posters on this forum but we'll have to look into scammers and child abusers to find them.

• Locked thread