Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The planet's gonna be around for another 4 billion years, but whether it's habitable to most mammals or not is in doubt. Geologic processes will continue to change the atmosphere/landmass over time, as they have for the last 4.5 billion years. We just sure aren't helping extend our possible inhabitable time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
My college's Geology department was renamed "Earth and Space Sciences" and meged with atmospheric and space courses back around 2000. So we got a comprehensive degree, though you still had a selection of classes and could focus more on one side or the other. It's a shame that almost the only place to get hired with a geology degree is oil or construction fields. I did construction consulting for a few years but grew to hate it and couldn't tolerate helping oil companies, so now my degree is kinda useless. So not all geologists are bad, but a good portion are because they love rocks and have to whore themselves out to oil companies for a paycheck in that field.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Amarkov posted:

I guarantee you, if there were an obvious way to end extreme poverty that cost only $175 billion over 20 years, it would have happened. It may not be the Cold War any more, but the US would love to have this under their belt; "POVERTY IS GONE AND WE KILLED IT" would basically make us immune to criticism.

Tax the rich?

Bam, I'm immune to criticism.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just a point of clarification: We are currently in an "Ice Age". An Ice Age is any time that has glaciers and we still have a few left on Greenland/Antarctica and in mountains. Not for long though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Sorry to interrupt another nuclear circular argument, but my local rag (seattletimes.com) is running stories this week about ocean acidification. Should help raise awareness a bit.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Fear motivated Noah to make a raft. (/sarcasm)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I think the reason we have 2 distinct coal layers underground is because lots of trees fell in swamps (because the earth was very swampy at the time) and don't break down as quickly underwater. Dunno if the oil layers have a similar reason, been a long time since I read this stuff.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

A lot of it was focused on farmers, and the challenges they are facing due to CC... I really liked that. But drat, I cringed at how ridiculously religious some of the American ranchers they showed are.

Aren't all rural people worldwide kinda regressive though?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Telesphorus posted:

Beijing has been having a water shortage lately:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/world/asia/desalination-plant-beijing-china.html

Are desalination plants really the best way to provide drinking water to drought-stricken areas? My impression is that they're expensive, require fossil fuel to power, and damage coastal ecosystems?

I talked to a friend about climate change. He's on the quasi-doomsday "next 20 years are going to be catastrophic" boat. What's up with that view? My opinion: this is going to more gradual, with 3rd world countries getting shafted first. See: Pacific Islands, African countries. In other words, problems that are already here will intensify - there isn't going to be a anything suddenly cataclysmic.

I could be wrong.

Well more areas turning to poo poo increase migration, which will increase the pop density of the few good areas, snowballing. Plus the "just in time" commerce shipping system can't last. It's just a matter of time, we just don't know if it's 10 or 50 years away.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dystram posted:

I'm personally just curious as to whether or not to bother with investing for retirement or to just smoke'em while I got'em basically, as opposed to wondering if I can get in early on gold or condoms or bottlecaps or whatevs.

Balance both.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

There is no upside to betting on the apocalypse.

Then what is Arkane's motivation?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I like how Arkane happens to choose a chart that plots temperatures relative to the mean temperatures between 1986 and 2005, so as to make the 201x temperatures conveniently close to 0, when most other charts actually show the temperature changes relative to the 1950-1980 means.

Granted, both choices are implicitly "biased" in their own way (using an earlier mean is necessarily going to show a larger, baked-in, climb when the period up to 2000 didn't feature the climatic shifts we're seeing now), but at least taking a mean over the range 1950-1980 and plotting back to the 40s/50s acknowledges that global warming isn't some "crazy idea that just suddenly started in the year 2000."

I like how he quoted Michael Crichton, a loony republican these days, who's only famous for writing a few decent fiction novels 30 years ago.

efb by that nice effortpost.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 13, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rime posted:

Hasn't the pacific reached a point where it's starting to dissolve barnacle glue, which is one of the strongest known natural adhesives? I vaguely remember reading that back in June.

Going up the North Coast was pretty weird this summer. Gigantic red jellyfish, some over two feet wide washed up everywhere, but a complete lack of starfish, sand dollars, or other formerly common marine life to be seen. It's changed considerably since I was last there in the 1990's. :shrug:

Yeah the local rag has been running stories about sea star disease. They're dying off in droves. :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

katlington posted:

So the federal government could overrule the nimbys tomorrow if it wanted to? Like it has with gas? It sounds like nimbys are allowed to stop renewables.

Popular opinion is ignored with everything else in this country - weed legalization, gay marriage, etc, why would power be any different? It's just the lobbyists whispering in politician ears that matter, and I guess the economics aren't profitable enough for some things right now.

Anything else happen in the last 20 pages or is it the usual arkane trolling?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star posted:

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but that article is from November 2006.

So things have gotten worse since then.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Nonsense posted:

My geology professor in summer school last year used an obviously manufactured graph from the mid 1990s or so to prove that climate scientists didn't know any actual science of how the globe worked, and that it is actually the stupidity of Californians to want to live in California that causes them to choose to live along fault lines and disappearing coastline. Climate change is about pouring government money into companies that manufacture green products.

He also said that if any of us went to public school that the government failed us, and he spent about 20-30 minutes re-enacting a potential school shooting and how we should try and escape it.

Did you report him? At the very least he was "teaching" stuff that wasn't part of his purview.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hello Sailor posted:

Regrettably, he was. Climatology and meteorology are earth sciences and are generally covered (at least briefly) as part of a high school or 100-level college geology course. I'm taking a geology 101 course this semester and the last chapter of my textbook is on climate change (and agrees with the scientific consensus).

I was referring more to the shooting stuff.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

tmfool posted:

It really does feel like an insurmountable problem. So... how many years until we're living in some version of Mad Max or The Road?

Less than 100, but it's hard to guess for sure.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Radbot posted:

Before we think about getting people "active", we'd better think about whether that would make a difference.

Well if we stormed the offices of the oil companies and executed their board members it might scare other companies into cooperation...worth a try anyway. Nothing 1 person can do though, they'd just be labeled as a lone loony.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Enjoy the electric life while you can, just don't have kids and realize whether you conserve or not you can't change what's gonna happen. Probably still gonna be a few humans living in caves in 1000 years.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The god-drat germans aint got nothin to do with it!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hello Sailor posted:

On a more positive note, here's a thing that popped up on my Facebook feed:

This 14-year-old will fix the planet before she graduates

Penn already grasps a key insight that almost every environmentalist has encountered in his or her life: If there’s inaction, it’s not because we’re apathetic. It’s because we’re overwhelmed. During her school visits, of course she meets young people who don’t care about the planet. “But there are a lot who do care that just don’t know what to do,” she says. “What’s going on in the environment seems like such a big deal that they have to do a big action, and they don’t know what that action should be.”

And it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy, this fear that whatever we do is too small to matter. “The reason why it seems like there’s nothing happening,” she says, “is because people are scared to do anything because they think that nothing’s going to happen!”

Therein lies the rub, but take it from a pro: “The smallest action leads to the biggest changes,” she insists. “It just matters so much. It has a big ripple effect, whether that person knows it or not. And that person might have been scared and might have been doubtful. But they went ahead and did it anyway.”

Her sage advice, then, to all the frustrated environmentalists out there? “You don’t have to have a ton of confidence to do everything you want to do. Go ahead and be afraid. Change will definitely come.”

Oh what a poor child. I pity when she grows up and her heart breaks.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^ Raising the question of if we'd be better off with a junta instead of democratic partisan gridlock.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FAUXTON posted:

For most of us it's too late for that anyway.

:captainpop: :vince: This was better and more subtle than I ever could have done. :golfclap:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

pathetic little tramp posted:

Of course, the next child you give birth to may be a supergenius who figures out how to eliminate global warming completely.

Or it could be double Hitler...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

pwnyXpress posted:

I'm at a special collaborative meeting of scientists in climate, atmospheric science & chemistry, and space science for the next week and a half. Any interesting unknowns you want me to keep an eye out for?

Anything that might actuallybe done to mitigate global warming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KaptainKrunk posted:

A "re-urbaniztion" is happening, but its proceeding at a glacial pace. The people most likely to move from the suburbs to cities are saddled with a ton of debt and often priced out to protect foreign and domestic property interests.

This is what really gets me. Until urban living is either cost controlled (there are a half dozen ways to do it) or reimbursed somehow (at minimum via tax writeoffs) then you know our government isn't serious about global warming.

• Locked thread