Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

duck monster posted:

I personally think that the names and personal details of the major denialists and their funders, ought be recorded for posterity , so that the next generation knows who needs to be punished for their predicament. This is a ain that will be harshest on generations to come, whilst these rich old bastards will escape it.

And they should be warned by people to expect to be hunted and punished by future generations for it.

If this is as bad as some say it will get, then denialists potentially have our childrens blood on their hands, and our children thus deserve the right to exact revenge for it once it happens.

I honestly believe this.

:ughh:

So we should punish the children and/or grandchildren of climate denialists/sceptics because they have a different opinion on climate change? Of course, the vested interests are solely on the side of Big Oil, the green lobby has zero incentive to overly dramatize climate change, no sir none at all... Keep dreaming.

Every side of the debate has only one interest: to keep the gravy train of government subsidies and tax credits running in their direction. Big Oil doesn't want to lose its fossil fuels business - green tech is gonna kill them off in the end when oil becomes scarce, they know this and are fighting a long battle but they're gonna lose in the end. Until then, there's a lot of money to be made. Many green NGOs and other environmentalist orgs float on government subsidies and grants and that is at risk as long as governments around the world remain skeptical of climate change. What to do? Inject fear and dramatize.

Big Oil downplays the effects of climate change and on the other side green activists do the exact opposite. If you want a meaningful discussion on this most important issue, get rid of both extremes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

The conclusion is ecoterrorism. I'm only slightly joking.

But yeah, I can't see any conventional political solution to our current environmenal problems. You have to get radical to get anywhere here, I think.

Ah yes, terrorism. The best way to promote your political goals.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I meant like terrorism. Like, should we start examining whether physically attacking the oil industry and its leaders is a viable tactic.

Hop on over to the prison thread to see what's in store for you!

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

But it's still not time to even examine whether violence might help, because people might go to jail? Sure, cities will be destroyed, productive land will wither into dust, and wars will erupt over shifting resources but let's not do anything because peaceful means of resistance have been exhausted and violence means people might go to jail? If this is your threshold for (in)action how do you justify doing anything about anything?

At least you'll die with a clean consciousness. All of your actions were meaningless to begin with and will have zero impact on global climate policies, but at least you did the "right" thing. A completely pointless struggle that ends on the electric chair or 40 years from now in a supermax prison. Sounds great, sign me up!!

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

If it makes you feel better, the human brain's pleasure system is self-regulating. You'll feel about as okay in the horrifying future as you do now.
But it's still not time to consider political violence! Someone might go to jail!

By all means, post your devious schemes to assassinate oil executives :rolleyes:

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Oops badly phrased I meant maybe this discussion should have its own thread, not take over this one.

Arglebargle III, you're a loving idiot. Are you seriously proposing posting a thread to discuss whether violence (murder, arson, terrorism?) is a valid method to achieve your desired society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow, are people this cowed that discussing this sort of thing makes you nervous? People are allowed to discuss questions like that. It happens every day, all over. I have a poli sci degree, my focus was revolutions. We managed to discuss revolutions without blowing anything up or killing anybody. I even managed to attend class without overthrowing the professor and killing the other students!

How do you guys ever manage to have a discussion about nonviolence without peeing yourselves because someone might bring up violence as a counterexample? Did you hide under a desk as a little kid when it was time to discuss scary George Washington and Sam Adams and their unconscionable decisions?

I'm completely serious, this pushback is ridiculous.

Don't change the subject. Discussing historic revolutions is an entirely different ballgame than discussing what the best strategy is to bomb Exxon's corporate headquarters or something. You're making a mockery of your earlier posts which are pretty drat clear: a serious consideration of violent tactics is on the table to combat climate change.

The 18th century isn't the 21st century, by the way. Today there are governments who just love to crackdown on terrorism and I have no doubt that whatever you wish to pursue, it'll be classified as terrorism. Your proposals are ridiculous, knowing the insane amount of power you're up against. Not to mention you're outgunned and outnumbered so even if you manage to do something then you'll be caught and you can enjoy the rest of your life in a supermax prison.

• Locked thread