Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Dreylad posted:

Geo-engineering is a last ditch effort to control cooling and stop things like methane pockets in the Arctic from melting and sending the heating spiralling out of control. But we'll probably have to use it at some point until we get our emissions down. What kind of geo-engineering we use is dependent on how much time scientists have to figure out the best solution, and whether or not there's an international accord not to use any kind of geo-engineering unless there's an agreed need and solution. This will be very tricky.

The problem is, as Dyer has mentioned, it is likely that it will be a last ditch effort of the first victims of major climatic shifts. It only takes some relatively basic technology to put particles high enough in the atmosphere to affect a 1-2 degree cooling. That's the problem: it is actually so easy to do that the decision to do it won't be after global discussions, it will be as a knee-jerk reaction to immediate crisis.

THAT is why we should not rely on geoengineering as a panacea and should do everything in our power to stop the runaway effects before they happen. Once those rockets or planes go up to deposit large volumes of stratospheric aerosols, the game is off and we wait for what's next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

DerDestroyer posted:

What are some things we can start doing right now to prevent the situation from getting any worse? Are we already sitting on a ticking time bomb that will end our existence a few decades from now regardless of what we do?

How do we save the environment while maintaining technological civilization?

Hoping for some well-timed volcanic activity in the next couple decades couldn't hurt...

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water
Someone needs a refresher in synoptic climatology and why it's entirely different from broadcast meteorology.

cheese posted:

While I think there is a lot we can learn from climatology data and predictions, attempting to show us a heat map of rainfall levels 50 years in the future is kind of insulting to my intelligence.

You're right, scientists just sit down with crayons and 'ballpark it'. You caught us.

These are outputs from very large and complex models that use physical laws, known climate cycles and patterns, teleconnections, and geophysical variables to plot these trends. They are tested by using inputs from the past to predict the present (which most do fairly well, within an acceptable margin of error).

So yes, we assume they work because they accurately predict the present based on the past, and they are continually improved to include physical processes and fine-tune them to better match reality.

Got a better idea to understand this mess?

Geoid fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 21, 2011

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Struensee posted:

This years minimum arctic sea ice extent is at a record low:

source: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Edit: I looked this up because I had a discussion with a friend of mine, where his argument centered on the antarctic gaining ice while the arctic was losing it. Turns out, the arctic is losing more ice in relative and absolute terms than the antarctic is gaining: http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/seaice/characteristics/difference.html (bottom of page)

It's also key to know that while the extent is going down, it turns out most of our Passive Microwave-derived sea ice thicknesses algorithms have been OVERESTIMATING ice thickness. What multiyear ice is left is becoming thinner and more rotten than we thought.

I'm holding fast to a bet that we'll see an ice-free Arctic summer by 2015 and then it will become very interesting very quickly, as that thick multiyear ice has had a role in lessening the extent loss in warmer summers.

EDIT: because I said the opposite of what I meant.

Geoid fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 1, 2012

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Struensee posted:

Do you mean thinner? And yeah, from the charts that were posted a while back, it certainly looks like 2015 is the year it's going to happen.

Yep, changed.

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Arglebargle III posted:

I actually think that dissolution of major governments and breakdowns in international relations are likely results of climate change and they do not constitute a collapse of civilization.

I guess we need to have a shared definition of societal collapse if we want to continue this conversation in a meaningful way.

I disagree. There will be no complete 'societal collapse' as long as groups of people interact with other groups of people, as we always have. It has been outlined many of the potential direct impacts of climate change that are ongoing (increasing likelihood of drought, decreasing baseflows of rivers due to lack of glacier replenishment, crop failure etc.).

I agree societal collapse is unlikely, but serious, measurable impacts are already being felt. I study ice climate in the Arctic and our field can see very clearly that we'll have an ice-free summer within the decade (very likely), and that will drastically affect the oceanography and stratification of the Arctic. This will in turn affect potential fisheries in the circumpolar world.

It's the aggregate of many of these changes: some small, some large, some sudden and some very slow. If it is slow enough society will adapt and hopefully few people will suffer, if not we're in for serious trouble of which no one can predict the magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Guigui posted:

Just wanted to add in my two cents as a public health professional: One of the other reasons our population growth has increased is that we have been quite successful at combatting the other natural regulator to overpopulation; specifically, infectious diseases. Technological advances, such as the seperation of potable water from sewage, the chlorination and treatment of drinking water, control of vector-borne diseases, universal vaccinations, food inspections, sex education, and the use of quarantine and isolation procedures during outbreaks - have gone a long way to maintain the population levels we currently have.

Some health professionals advocate it is not the fact that we have been multiplying like rabbits - but that we have stopped dying like flies - that has helped to increase population levels (especially in concentrated urban areas).

That being said, I would never argue the return to days where Cholera, Diptheria, Smallpox, Polio or Leprosy held sway.

Those that complain about overpopulation rarely realize if we returned to the 'good old days' of low demographic growth they'd probably be dead before reaching age 5.

• Locked thread