Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Massively have put out a good write up for new players!

Massively posted:

Are there spells? Are there classes?

No and no. The first thing you need to do before you play APB:R is forget that World of Warcraft ever existed. Class roles, damage assignment, and any semblance of skills are all decided by your weapons and equipment mods. Want to be a long-range sniper? Buy a sniper rifle. Want to play a support role, buffing your group members during your mission? Invest in some good character mods. And if you get bored of any of that, you simply get a new weapon or mod.

Now that it's free-to-play, is it all about who has the most money?

Not at all. Sure, you can buy weapons, mods, clothing, vehicles and other advantages through the Armas Marketplace (RMT shop), but there aren't as many choices as in the in-game marketplace. These items in the in-game store are gated by both cost and player rank with certain quest-giving NPCs. So if you have your eye on a particularly pimp car, you'll need to check out which NPC offers that item, how much rank (reputation) you'll need with that NPC, and how much money you'll need to save or steal.

Pros:

- Unmatched customization options in character creation, which persists throughout the entire game
- Vast array of choices in the game, catering to any combination of good or bad ways to play both Criminals and Enforcers
- You can enter and leave PvP easily whenever you're ready
- Combat is an excellent combination of player skill and weapon stats

Cons:

- You're going to die a lot before getting to the point of being any good
- Not as fun for the solo player
- Still some hacker issues with aimbots and wall hacks
- Group matchmaking has improved but still has unbalance issues

It's a game where griefing is built-in, and you should expect to have your missions ruined every once in a while. Some people choose to play the game by completing missions for rank, some choose to rob stores and civilians, and others just want to piss on your day by driving a dump truck through the middle of your mission.

And that's the way it should be. APB:R isn't necessarily a "hardcore" game, but it can be for those who get into it seriously enough. It has a steep learning curve, but once you get it, you really get it. You can't jump into this game expecting to have your hand held and your ego stroked along the way. You'll start out on the lowest peg, humiliated and killed over and over again

Full thing is up at : http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/06/first-impressions-a-second-look-at-apb-on-launch-day/

Emphasis is mine. If you're coming in, play with goons. Do not solo. Accept the fact that you are going to die a lot in your first few sessions and get used to it. Stick with it and you will begin to rule the school as soon as you find 'that gun' that you work so well with.

And if all else fails just stick on the armour and regeneration mod.

Sion fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

less than three posted:

I need the dated logs, such as 2011.12.09-16.01.00-14300.log rather than crashreport.log. Probably want to RAR them or something.

Ltt are you at reloaded or something? :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

less than three posted:

Nah. I don't have a fix for that crash btw.

Yeah he's just running into some straight up C++ asserts that aren't being handled silently in the release version. It's dumb as hell but, hey, welcome to PC gaming I suppose. There's not much he's going to be able to do about it other than hope for a patch somewhere down the line because since it's going OH GOD C++ it's an issue in the game.

What are you doing when you manage to get the crash to happen? Anything that you would call unusual?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

It's happened when getting a new mission while in a group and while getting into a car with a group member already in it. Each time one of those things is occurring when I crash.

I'd post something on the forums complaining about a crash whilst entering a vehicle when accepting a new mission whilst that vehicle is occupied by a teammate. There's been crashes in Reloaded that have been about that - also whilst you were in a team with someone else that accepted the missio nyou'd get booted from the vehicle so what's happening here could be an offshoot of that.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Mans posted:

Game lags like crap, it's virtually impossible to drive. Is there any way to improve this?

By buying new hardware.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

It's how the Tigers roll.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

That's a dude.

That's Neko. He's literally my favourite person.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Ashamed to share a continent with Longhair.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

CitrusFrog posted:

Ahh, ok.

Also, are any of the weapons permanent or do you just get to "lease" them for a few days?

You have to pledge to a contact before you ready up though or you'll only get organisational standing. Open your map, double click on a contact and then click pledge. You can also pledge by going up to the contact in game and pressing F and clicking pledge. You can also pledge up by pressing J, selecting Progression and then double clicking a contact and clicking pledge.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pretty much the entire APB community posted:

EVERY GUN BUT THE ONE I AM USING IS FOR NOOBS

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

APB is more processor/ram hungry than video memory hungry.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Oh god, I want to go back to APB so badly. I love the game I HATE THE GAME, why does it keep hurting me? I only want to drive around in my bright pink Jericho having awesome street wars. Then... then the map design fucks me, or the ridiculous enemy clans gently caress me, or the hackers crawl out of the woodwork and hound us no matter what instance we go go into.

APB is probably the one game I've spent the most hours on since World of Warcraft. Between APB and APB Reloaded, I've probably spent next to 600 or so hours playing this game. Why does it keep hurting me? I just want to love you, APB. I love you. treat me gently

oh god

:negative:

Can we get rid of the current OP and just have this instead?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

LTL is only doable if you decide you don't want to win. Your new goal is get one arrest a match. That is your goal with less than lethal. You will not win so lower your sights.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I got to Cop 10 and gave up.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

krael posted:

so what you are telling me theres sort of a builtin grief encouragement system?

What do goons do when they login?

Mmm, the soul crushing grief engine goes both ways I'm afraid. Don't play if you can't take it as well as you can dish it out.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you sound like a bitter, paranoid pubbie.

I see you've encountered Mr. Longhair before!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Cabbit - APB doesn't tend to give a poo poo about what kind of graphics card you have. It wants your processor and RAM's soul though so that's your hangup. Sorry bro.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Novasol posted:

My grenade launcher and Freedominator are ready to serve.

I am so proud that you are using my name for that car still :3

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

That decal is the cutest loving thing.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Jesus Christ Novasol, I got to cop 10 and couldn't take it anymore but- how?

Wait.

Why?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

TerminalSaint posted:

Yeah look if you're just going to copy and paste pictures in from Photoshop then we're going to have a pr-

Wait.

:what:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I think we all know that there can be only one Gaben.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Crank down the brightness of the whites a little and it'll look more boss I promise.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress SNEEP posted:

They fixed Gaijin but not Sneep's Sweet Spot. Me supremacy.

What is Sneep's Sweet Spot?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Secret Sweater posted:

So apparently you can attach RFID chips to bullets now and shoot people with them for tracking purposes at large distances :thumbsup:

This is fantastic. This game where everyone has a healing factor that would make Wolverine go 'steady on, love' and where gravity means nothing to a dump truck this is the thing that breaks your verisimilitude.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Basically it comes down to this: Don't be a jackass.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Huh, that actually looks kind of cool. Too bad it's still an Espacio and thus will be terrible.

I think I remember reloaded talking about how the Espacio was getting a rejig in the patch too.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I think it looks like a Transformer in the best possible way.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Name and shame.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Well RTW no longer exists so I'd be willing to bet you're onto a winner with that one.

OH hey, hi Songbearer :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

THey've got all the Love-Gun's though!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

What exactly is 'banned for hot rod parts'

Also Mw21faces gimmick account spotted.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Secret Sweater posted:

Applied car parts to his car that weren't available without sploits.

G1 also banned people that purchased sploited vehicles from the marketplace with no knowledge that they weren't allowed because they're hilarious people.

Huh. Interesting about that second bit.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I have the Espacio.

It's great I love the police siren on the top and how it goes POLICE and WOOP WOOP leaving me to shout 'that's the sound of the-!' every time I right click

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I saw a dev driving one before the Espacio came out. It was like a huge great dane that just charged around and crashed into everything.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Giant bouncy Great Dane, I'm tellin' you!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Trogdos! posted:

I once won a VIP mission as a vip with something like 6v6, and I didn't even die once. Me and my mate both had dump trucks, and the second dump truck would just push and thus boost me. Was pretty unstoppable, as the opposition did not have osmaws. It was hilarious just driving around waterfront :v:

If you don't have an ALI-G on you at all times you deserve to lose.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Great Beer posted:

This thread is amazing all the way through. It gets fantastic once heath###### (beef43302) shows up and tries to defend himself in the face of insurmountable evidence from multiple admins.

There's like... 2000 people lookin' at that thread.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Meis posted:

A good use for one of the new mods: Put Muzzle Break (Horizontal) in a SHAW, and it's AMAAAAAAZING

Also how are you that rich?

I'd guess it's by selling those shorts. they're fabulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Wow. That's... that's a hell of a thing.

• Locked thread