Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
-The 'true' ending of Chrono Trigger
-The Dark Night: hearing Heath Ledger had died
-When Sgt. Johnson dies in Halo 3
-Beavis and Butthead S4E22, when Beavis crawls into the pipe Butthead was stuck in, and the episode ends before anyone helps him out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's an episode in the second season of Scrubs called "My Philosophy". In the episode, JD and Elaine (a patient) talk about death and what they think happens. Elaine says she hopes it's like a big musical, with people singing at the top of their lungs.

At the end of the episode, she dies. And the cast plus Elaine does a small musical number by Colin Hay called "Waiting for my Real Life to Begin". It destroys me. I completely fall apart. It always makes me think of my mom's last moments and I feel like I did then.

gently caress you Bill Lawerence and your drat genius mind.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The hair salon scene from Rampage. he didn't want to kill them, but he needed a drink so he took his helmet off and they saw him. He actually left the salon before returning to correct his mistake. He even says "Shouldn't have taken off my helmet." as he exits the scene.

Grey Skies
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There's an episode in the second season of Scrubs called "My Philosophy". In the episode, JD and Elaine (a patient) talk about death and what they think happens. Elaine says she hopes it's like a big musical, with people singing at the top of their lungs.

At the end of the episode, she dies. And the cast plus Elaine does a small musical number by Colin Hay called "Waiting for my Real Life to Begin". It destroys me. I completely fall apart. It always makes me think of my mom's last moments and I feel like I did then.

gently caress you Bill Lawerence and your drat genius mind.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcsrnT7Tv1o

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
The part in Dodgeball when Floyd pulls my shorts down and points at my lovely dick

dyehead
Nov 28, 2008
Pretty much the last quarter of Everything is Illuminated.

There are no good youtube clips out there for it, but below are spoilers:

Basically, it's about a young Jew who goes to one Ukraine to track down where his family came from. He employs a christian translator and his very anti-semitic grandfather to drive him to the small village where his (the jewish guys) grandfather grew up, and escaped from during the holocaust. When they get there it turns out that the only resident is an old lady who doesn't know that the war is even over (this was around 2001 I think). She recognizes the translator's grandfather as a boy who grew up in the same village with her. On the way back home the translator's grandfather commits suicide in a hotel tub (my only guess is the extreme shame of having lived his life as a lie), and the closing scene has their entire family burying him in the home town, all wearing yamaka's, having accepted their Jewish heritage.

I'd highly recommend the movie, it's very well written and performed!

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Plague dogs turned me into a crying bitch and scared my brother into thinking I was having a breakdown.
They made it to the island, dammnit!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Let's see...

1) The ending to Watership Down. Cried when I read the book, cried at the movie.
2) The scene in Empire of the Sun when Jim reunites with his mother.
3) Up. In front of my kid, of course. "Daddy, are you crying?" "Maybe a little, hon."
4) Gladiator, at the point in the final scene where he is walking through the fields to return home
5) In Seabiscuit (the book), in the description of George Woolf's final ride on Please Me before he fell to his death.

I'm sure there's more weepy moments, but those are what I can think of right now.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Mark Greene's death in ER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ErmPtp19s

Partly because of it being the death of a character I'd become emotially invested in, which made me cry at the time, and partly because it reminds me of my father, who also died from a brain tumour.

and

Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Soft Shock (acoustic version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1d3r3tB3OE

Mainly when the violin kicks in.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
When my uncle was dying of organ failure a few years ago, he hung on about 3 months longer than he should have. His one and only reason for surviving as long as he did was that he was afraid to leave his wife behind.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
I can't watch this without my tear ducts reminding me they exist. I love the music and I love this movie and it's like they were meant for each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfuE92zUHOA

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Don McLeans Vincent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsxfvwuCqxo

Every time.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I went to see the musical version of Ghost with the good lady last week, because I had somehow forgotten that the orchestral version of Unchained Melody makes me dissolve into an incoherent, gibbering wussy every single drat time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYjphP8srq8

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Neil deGrasse Tyson's response to Neil Armstrong's death on Twitter made me tear up:

quote:

Neil A. Armstrong 1930-2012. Farewell my friend. And now, perhaps more than ever, I bid you godspeed.

Apollo 11, July 1969. No other act of human exploration ever laid a plaque saying "We Come In Peace For All Mankind"

"Men Walk On Moon" - The only positive event in the last 50 yrs for which everyone remembers where they were when it happened

Neil Armstrong was the spiritual repository of spacefaring dreams & ambitions. In death, a little bit of us all dies with him

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Can anyone help me find a video about a young man (he was British/Irish, if I remember) that had a terminal illness and made the video, detailing the events leading up to his death. I remember him narrating most, if not all, of the video. I also remember him being in a wheelchair (as well as a pretty snazzy dresser :gbsmith:). I just read through the entire thread hoping it had been posted, but didn't see it. I know it was posted in one of the previous threads, but I don't have archives.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

David Foster Wallace's Kenyon University commencement speech from 2005.

I know every hipster chick in the whole world is walking around with a "This is Water" tattoo now, but damned if I don't want one.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

XIII posted:

Can anyone help me find a video about a young man (he was British/Irish, if I remember) that had a terminal illness and made the video, detailing the events leading up to his death. I remember him narrating most, if not all, of the video. I also remember him being in a wheelchair (as well as a pretty snazzy dresser :gbsmith:). I just read through the entire thread hoping it had been posted, but didn't see it. I know it was posted in one of the previous threads, but I don't have archives.

Maybe it was Jonny Kennedy? Even if this isn't the man you were talking about, this is still a really good (but sad) documentary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Kennedy

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wrecking Ball posted:

Maybe it was Jonny Kennedy? Even if this isn't the man you were talking about, this is still a really good (but sad) documentary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonny_Kennedy

That's him! Thanks so much!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I cried when I heard Michael Clarke Duncan passed away and I don't think I've cried at a famous person death before.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

This caught me by surprise.

A gay veteran talks to Mitt Romney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRN9Y5Nvdqk

You can just hear how much it upsets him...

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
The "Miracle Ceasefire" at the end of Children of Men. one of only about three or four movies to ever make me tear up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBzWTIexszQ

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I get choked up by signs held up in movies, it seems. Most recently at the end of The Muppets when everyone turned up to show their love of the Kermit and the gang, but before that there was The Boat That Rocked (Pirate Radio in the US). When their ship is going down, they get rescued by fans. The one sign they held up that got to me the most was "We Heard You!" Just really touching and makes me smile and cry happy tears.

Not all crying has to be sad, people!

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Reviving this because a friend of mine just posted the saddest goddamn thing on Facebook. He works at a used bookstore.

my bookseller friend posted:

You work your way through a collection of used rock 'n' roll books. Some look pretty beat up, some look like new. Bent dust jackets, creases on the covers. Personal and junk mail in many of them: credit card applications, pay stubs, wedding invitations. The whole time you're thumbing through them you wonder what the person was like, why he had so many books on the subject, why they are in the condition they are in. And then you find the oncology appointment card for radiation treatment and your heart drops like a ton of bricks and it's like... poo poo. All of a sudden the collection has it's story. You know what these books were for and that they aren't just some used collection of stacks of paper bound together and thrown away. They have meaning, and you wonder at what small solace they might have provided, and how, oh God, they ended up in front of you.

:(

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I was going through my DVR today and saw something that had clearly been there a while. I hadn't recorded it, so one of my roommates must have. I ddidn't think it had even been watched.

It was a Rugrats episode. Specifically, the Mother's Day episode, where everyone learns about Chuckie's mom. I cried so hard while watching it.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I work for a guy who, when he was much younger, had to choose between music and what would become his career. When he talks about that decision it's obvious that he still ponders it from time to time especially now.

His daughter plays the same instrument he did and this past year was presented with the same choice; she chose music. We knew she flew somewhere across the country for her audition with her dad and we knew that he thought she had done well. A month or so later when she burst into the building, ran into his office and squealed we didn't have to ask what that was about. She had done better than well.

This fall my boss drove his entire family to the other side of the country to drop off his oldest daughter for her fist year of college. The usual happened, the night before the family was to head back my boss' daughter realized how far away she was going to be from her home and started to panic. The next morning my boss took his daughter out for breakfast before anyone else woke up and handed her a letter that he had started writing when she had made the decision to go to school for music. In the letter he told her how proud they were of her, how excited he was for her to start this new journey and how much he believed in her ability to be whoever she wanted to be. He left her to read this on her own and when he came back she was a mess of tears but resolute. She knew she could do this and she knew her family would always be there to support her no matter what. The amount of pride and affection my boss has on his face when he talks about his daughter, it's wonderful.

I've had that story relayed to me in bits and pieces over the past few months and every time I try to share it with someone else it makes me all teary. Unconditional love and support is a beautiful thing.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?Jzu3Ihyq50c

One Moment More by Mindy Smith. "Oh, please don't go, let me have you just one moment more. All I need, all I want is just one moment more..." It's always been sad but now it's personal... :sigh:

Mr. Anderson
Jan 28, 2009
A look at a guy who is dying from cancer, and his perspective on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJx6nbDyhA

The Candyman
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finninho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt4rdfbMSvc This Ad by Westpac, a New Zealand bank.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seeing my grandfather look into my grandmother's coffin and then just wordlessly look away. Hoping that anybody didn't see his tears. It killed me.

It was as if everything else in that moment didn't matter. I couldn't stop thinking about the difference between us. I will never be able to put into words the sadness that he must have felt in that one moment. I'm just sad that he now knows what that feels like.

I cry every time I think of that.

TexMexFoodbaby has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Dec 12, 2012

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

chefvinny posted:

'I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always...'

...I, a 27-year-old-man, start crying.

Monday, one of my co-workers brought this for my boss. She noted how much he loved his mother, much like the story. As she flipped through the book, I could see where this was leading. I told her to stop. I had to walk away, for my mom died 11 and 1/2 years ago, and I never have the chance to return the love and care she gave to me. I weep right now as I type this. I'm a man who turned 38 today. I've seen things and done things in my life. My only regret, I never told my mom how much she ment to me.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0VxGRWPh28

They look like good, strong hands, don't they?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
God drat Mary and Max is ridiculous. I just put it on for something to watch while animating and it got me proper good, I don't think I've felt something so strongly from a film in years, if not forever.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

ToyotaThong posted:

Monday, one of my co-workers brought this for my boss. She noted how much he loved his mother, much like the story. As she flipped through the book, I could see where this was leading. I told her to stop. I had to walk away, for my mom died 11 and 1/2 years ago, and I never have the chance to return the love and care she gave to me. I weep right now as I type this. I'm a man who turned 38 today. I've seen things and done things in my life. My only regret, I never told my mom how much she ment to me.

Your post just made me cry. :( gently caress that book. I want to read it to my kids but I can't get halfway through it without crying.

Here is the book read out loud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e2HPSSh_Z4

When the son came home that night, he stood for a long time at the top of the stairs.

:smith:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Megaspel posted:

God drat Mary and Max is ridiculous. I just put it on for something to watch while animating and it got me proper good, I don't think I've felt something so strongly from a film in years, if not forever.
I don't usually cry at movies but the ending where Mary finally visits Max only to find that he passed away then looks up and sees all the letters she sent him over the years plastered on the ceiling got me.

Andre Rieu's of rendition of Amazing Grace reminds of how my grandma (who passed away from lung cancer at the age of sixty nine in June) wouldn't watch the Remembrance Day parade when the bagpipes came because they made her cry. Andre Rieu is coming to Vancouver soon and there's no way I won't be crying my eyes out if he plays that.

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005
Born Into Brothels did it for me. Held it together until the end when they told the fates of the children. The world is a cruel place.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

From the comic strip megathread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Willard Suitcase Exhibit

quote:

When Willard Psychiatric Center in New York's Finger Lakes closed in 1995, workers discovered hundreds of suitcases in the attic of an abandoned building.  Many of them appeared untouched since their owners packed them decades earlier before entering the institution.

People's entire lives summed up by the contents of one small suitcase. Many of them were committed to the asylum for multiple decades just for being depressed or epileptic or for having a breakdown or for being 'sarcastic' and they lived out the rest of their lives in confinement, often shunned by their family. Some of them weren't even medicated for the last few decades of their lives, they'd recovered from their illnesses but they'd been institutionalized for so long they just couldn't function in society anymore and had nowhere else to go.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just watched The Magdalene Sisters and it's got to be the most depressing movie I've ever seen. Especially since the real life Magdalene Asylums were apparently way worse than how it's depicted in the film and the last one only shut down in the mid nineties. The fact that you could get sent off to be a slave for years for being raped or flirting with boys is just scary and sad.

Here's the movie:
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdSmjIvJ8Dc:nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
The ending of The Iron Giant. Every time.

• Locked thread