Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Lilo and Stitch. No Disney movie has ever made me cry so much. Not even loving Dumbo, or Bambi, or loving Mufasa.

The book The Bone-Setter's Daughter. In rural China, pre-WWII, a girl has a live-in nursemaid called Precious Auntie. The girl treats her kinda all right, but as she ages and wants her mother to notice her more than her younger sister, Precious Auntie kinda falls aside. When the girl is engaged to a son in the Chang family, her nursemaid writes out a very long story, urging the girl to read it and insisting the girl will never marry into that horrible family. The girl replies she would marry into any family to escape the nursemaid....who leaves, writes a threat to the Chang family promising to haunt them forever if the girl marries their son, and kills herself.

The girl reads the story after this, and discovers that her nursemaid is really her mother. Years ago she was to marry the youngest son of the family, but he was killed on their wedding day, and they had some premartial bliss before this. The bride disfigured herself by pouring hot ink over her face, and when she was found to be pregnant, the sister of the murdered man/her technical sister-in-law took the baby on as her own to save the family face. Throughout the rest of the book, the girl believes that her nursemaid-mother has cursed her, which leads to the death of her first, and later second husband, and it's only when she is near full-on dementia-addled that she is able to relate all the pain and misery of her life, thinking she is under a curse for causing her mother to commit suicide.

Watership Down, reading about The Shining Wire (see avatar). Because as much as you hate Cowslip and the other rabbits, the fact Strawberry is able to leave indicates some of them probably are just as desperate to escape but can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Tales From Ba Sing Se, from Avatar, the Last Airbender. Dedicated to Mako. Same series, but Zuko Alone too.

I like to think that after this series ended, and between the new one, Zuko himself went back, or he sent parties, to all the people he had met, and in some sense screwed over, and paid them fully back for helping him, in a good way.

Also the possibly last scene where Azula is sane. So says the hallucination of her mother, no, Azula, I loved you, I always loved you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HappyKitty posted:

The Little Match Girl

Man, gently caress this video. You know the Monty Python sketch about the funniest joke in the world, and at one point it has the bit where Graham Chapman says that one guy saw two words in a row and was put in hospital for 6 weeks?

This video is like that, except with sadness. I watched about 2 seconds of it (to make sure it was the right version), and boom - my eyes teared right up.

Somehow even the Discworld take on this teared me up good. The Grim Reaper takes on the nightly/yearly role of Santa/the Hogfather and finds the little match girl. Appalled at the unfairness of it all, since for the night he isn't Death but the Hogfather, who gives gifts to everyone, Death puts more life in the girl's hourglass and gives her to some Watchmen with a warning he will be checking up. In his words, the Hogfather gives presents, and there is no better present than a future. So every time I see one of these videos, I keep expecting to see a skeletal Santa come by and make things better.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can't find it on Youtube, but Lilo and Stitch (again) had a TV show where, of course, the other 625 and more experiments Jumbaa made all came crashing down to Earth. Some of Stitch's cousins could shoot lightning, some were chatterboxes....one deaged people to childhood.

Seriously.

Now the point of every episode is that Lilo and Stitch find the new experiment and try to find its 'place it belongs,' be it at a nursing home, a construction site, as a pet, etc. So they find this experiment that deages all the characters, minus Lilo, to toddlerhood or childhood. Once everyone gets turned back to normal, the question is where the hell this experiment can live, doing what it does, without bringing down the government on this thing (the re-aged characters admit that it was fun being a kid but you don't want to relive your life twice, etc).

So where does the experiment end up? In the animal shelter. And the last scene in the episode is this experiment hiding, picking out a very old abandoned dog, and deaging it to a puppy, where it's playful and leaping around and gets adopted right away. And then the experiment repeats the process, over and over, giving all the old dogs a new chance.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Most Disney movies get a free pass. We all cried when Bambi's mom was shot and Mufasa died.

Did anyone else cry at the end of Meet the Robinsons? When the kid changes the past, fixing his roommate's descent into villainhood, that made me cry, just seeing Goob so drat happy getting adopted. And then we see Lewis being adopted by the weird science lady, and when they show the new house they just bought, I lose it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cool kids inc. posted:

That depends. I was so miserable after the opening I couldn't enjoy the rest of it. :(

The opening was a killer, but it did set the entire movie, and even after his wife's death, you can feel her alive in the house. So while the opening is loving brutal and I doubt any adults had dry eyes in the theater, without it, if Pixar had just done snapshots or made it into part of the movie, it wouldn't have felt so real.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why it hit me so hard, but drat that is a good comic.

The play Into the Woods. It's a fairy tale deal with Cinderella, and Rapunzel, and Jack and the Beanstalk, etc, and then act 2 is what happens after happily ever after. Noted most is Rapunzel, who went from living in a tower, being exiled by her witch-mom, giving birth to twins, and finding her prince, then getting married by act 2. And then in act 2, she's a total mess, unable to deal with being a mother and wife or be around people at all. And she ends up being killed. Her witch-mom sings this loving evilly sad song about how she tried to protect her, but the real tearjerker is the final song at the end: Children Will Listen. In short, wishes come true, not free, and magic isn't free either. At the end of act 1, most everyone has what they wished for; at the end of act 2, most everyone realizes it wasn't what they really wanted, and they lost what they had, or did.

I always loving cry at Children Will Listen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The thing with Up, for me at least, was what even when Ellie was gone, she was clearly in the house still, and when her husband screwed up and was going to abandon Kevin to Muntz, my mom and I were near yelling at the TV: you loving moron, you really think Ellie would be proud of you, doing what you're doing!

We already hit on Avatar: The Last Airbender with Uncle Iroh mourning his dead son, and with Yue dying/disappearing, but one thing that killed me was when kid Zuko woke up to find his mother gone, and the series ends without any info about her, other than she disappeared. Did she die? Did she run away? The fact that the last words we hear from Zuko is him asking where his mother is brings down the otherwise happy end of the series for me.

That and his sister going insane when she hallucinates her mother being there. "You feared me!" "No, Azula, I loved you, I always loved you."

Why the hell am I crying at some psycho girl breaking a mirror before she starts weeping? Because it's loving sad.

edit: The above avatar reminds me of a few things in King of the Hill that got me teary-eyed.

When Hank's dad dies, and rather than tell the truth about his last words, Peggy lies and says his last words were that he loved his son.

When Dale realizes that Joseph isn't his son (he deducts that since he was in Roswell, aliens knocked up his wife) and takes Joseph to loving New Mexico so he can be with his real family. And in the end in the usual Dale-spiel, has an epiphany and refuses to give the kid 'back' to the aliens (which of course are just lights or fireworks or something).

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Feb 8, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember taking my old cat CJ to the animal shelter's vet to have her put to sleep. She'd lost so much weight due to the cancer, and wasn't eating, and after putting off my dog being put down until she was really suffering, I wanted to do what was right by CJ.

The surrender/vet room is the worst. I remember seeing people that were all older than me, old enough to be my parents and grandparents, crying like babies as they surrendered their pets or were talked to by the vet techs that there was nothing that could be done. I remember seeing a nearly bald white guy, in a business suit, with a Rolex and the expensive leather shoes, and he drove up in a goddamn Lexus, and he was crying from the minute I saw him till I left. I think his dog had been hit by a car and this was the closest vet, and not all of his money could bring the dog back.

Death is a banker and everyone pays, but gently caress if it isn't the great equalizer.

On another note, I recently adopted a guinea pig, and the rescue lady told me for the pig, it had been a drat close call. His previous owners had to move to a no-pets home, and the little girl who was his owner couldn't keep him. The only response they got when looking for a new home for Dexter was a guy who said he'd feed him to his snake. By the time the rescue lady got to the house, the guy was already there. She barely beat him to the door and took Dexter to her cat rescue, which is how I ended up with him. But I had guinea pigs when I was this girl's age, and all I can think is how she had to feel, knowing that someone was taking her pet away to feed to something else.

I'm still trying to get any info about that girl so I can email her picture so she knows Dexter is all right. No luck so far. But he isn't snake food, kid, he gets tons of grass and salad every day, and I wish you hadn't overheard the phone call where you found out he was going to be a snake's meal.

edit: Thinking of Terry Pratchett, and he writes some drat touching stuff. But what got me the hardest was in Soul Music, where Death, the Grim Reaper, has to cope with the real death of his adopted daughter, Ysabell. And saying that yes, he could have done something, ie, they could have stayed with him and never aged, never lived really, etc. And later, his talk with his granddaughter; even being the Grim Reaper, the dude suffers some deep depression after the loss of Ysabell. For one thing, he never really mentions her again and does seem to have a lot more bending-the-rules after her death.

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Apr 10, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Arx Monolith posted:

A few months ago I had a fever, the kind that makes things.. different. Cold feels weird, hot feels weird, your own hands on your head or body feel weird. Everything is warm and you feel weak, but everything has this sort of.. niceness to it. I genuinly LIKE having a fever (as long as I'm not SICK-sick)

So I lay down on the couch, put on some family friendly films and enjoy a day of rest (had the day off anyway).

Finding Nemo has one of the saddest scenes in it. In fact, most of the Pixar lineup has terrible tear jerking moments to it, but I can always hold back with the thought "Seriously, dude, don't cry. It's a cartoon." Well, that thought does not occur in the heat of a fever addled brain.

The scene where Marlon finally gets into the dentist's office and Nemo is playing dead in the baggie, and everything things gets slowed down. That part of the scene where Marlon whispers Nemo's name, having seen PROOF, that his son is loving DEAD and this journey was for naught. The fact that Nemo HEARS THIS and stops his ruse a second too late, his hope of being rescued validated at the exact moment his rescuers have decided to give up as they believe their goal is gone.

I cried. I cried as hard as I did when I cried about not being able to go to my grandfather's funeral because I refused to see him that way. I cried for 35 minutes. In a row. I could not stop. The movie ended before I was done crying. I was bawling. I cannot recall a time I ever enjoyed a good cry more (after I was done). It was a sad cry, for sure, I was not streaming tears of joy down my face and I most certainly was not getting enough air into my lungs because I was laughing. I was BROKEN inside by this movie. God drat I love fevers. It's like being high, and my emotions are heightened. Everything is different in a way I want to explain but cannot.

That's my favorite cry. A kid's movie made a 27 year old die inside a little.

I always cried when Marlin leaves Dory, after that scene.

Lilo and Stitch was the first real Disney movie that made me cry like a bitch. Not that Bambi wasn't bad or Mufasa's death didn't hit me, but Lilo and Stitch hits you every other scene: in the beginning when Lilo is feeding a fish in the ocean, and she tells her hula instructor the fish controls the weather, she's trying to placate/bribe the fish to keep the weather nice (her parents died in a car crash when it was raining bad). The scene with Stitch and the Ugly Duckling storybook, and when he finds Lilo's photo of her family. The surfing scene that ends with Nani being told her sister's being taken away.

"This is my family. It's little, and broken, but good. Yeah, it's good."

I can't watch that movie anymore.

Brave was another movie, where Merida, at the end, finally breaks down crying and saying it was all her fault, when it looks like the curse won't be broken, and her mom's gone forever. Watching it with my mom was hard, and I have a drat good relationship with my mom too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

Boxer Hockey is a good and funny webcomic, but the series of flashback comics starting here from a few years ago always makes me tear up.

It's worth reading the whole little story, you don't need to know the characters or anything. It's about fifteen short pages.

I showed my mom just one comic from this storyline Big boys don't cry, and I'm a big boy. and she teared up from that one alone.

What is it with Disney and Pixar movies making me cry when I get older, but not when I was a kid or teenager? I never cried at Bambi. Rarely at Mufasa. I think everyone cries during the opening scene from Up, and that part of Toy Story 3, and perhaps even 2 with Jessie's song. Meet the Robinsons, probably one of the best of Disney's underrated movies, makes me cry, the entire last 10 minutes of it. Mostly when the kid Louis is packing up his things, leaving the orphanage with his new parents, and we see Goob being adopted too. The look of just utter happiness kills me, because that's all it took to change the future for the better.

The last time Mulan was on TV, waterworks ahoy at the end of the song "A Girl Worth Fighting For" ends with the marching army coming across a village that was burned to cinders, and they find the commander's father's armor, with him and all his men slaughtered. You never see the carnage, but you do see Mulan find a little doll, the same one the bad guy's hawk brought to him earlier in the film. Little doll, no little girl. Everyone in the village and the defending army was massacred. Pretty heavy for a Disney kid flic.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

These are incredible and soulcrushing, holy poo poo. This guy is a true artist.

"I'm sorry we couldn't play pirates."

And then the mound of stuffed animals outside her window.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat, this will sound lame after the previous few.

When I was a kid, I was majorly into BeastWars. My mom did the good mom thing, bought us the toys, listened to me and my brother fight over who did what and what episode we would watch, and she had the vague idea of who the characters here.

Cue the episode Code Of Hero, where after loving up in the previous episode, Dinobot takes his final stand against Megatron and the rest of the Preds, saving the human race from being wiped out, and is fatally damaged himself. Instead of trying to excuse his behavior or ask the Maximals to remember him as a good guy, his last words are asking them to remember his good, and bad deeds both, in short, not to lie about his actions, don't make him out to be more than what he really is.

The only BW episode my mom had 'allergy problems' with.

As for Up, did anyone NOT cry at the end of the opening sequence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HoneyBoy posted:

I only read Beast Wars and knew exactly what you were going to say. A lot of Dinobot's lines were either references or quotes from Shakespeare works, the line you mentioned is a reference to Hamlet I think. I think it's even more dramatic in that he saved essentially an early species of proto-humans, which Optimus then confirms as he says he saved the lives of those who live there and those to come, modern humans.

Anyway, your avatar reminded me of a pretty good one that got me when I first watched it, Watership Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvGUCTpCIY

That's a link to the ending, so spoilers obviously. But really the whole film was rife with great writing and amazing quotables, the rabbit's folklore and theology was beautiful.

Don't even get me started on Plague Dogs. :negative:

The worst part about the Watership Down movie was the lack of Strawberry. In the book he joins Hazel and crew because his doe is killed in a snare.

Season 2 of BeastWars was pretty rough. One of the few parts in Season 1 that got me was the floating island and we can't forget Tigatron's words: May I be forgiven for what I must do.

And yes, Dinobot's last words "The rest is silence" is from Hamlet.

• Locked thread