Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Treytor posted:

Would it be terribly inefficient to hook up a Corsair Force 3 240 GB SATA 3 to a sata 2 controller?

For general purpose system use, no. It's exactly what I've done.

If you intent to copy large files around on a very regular basis - then you'd benefit from a new controller (and mobo as well most likely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

I'll go through the BIOS again tomorrow; there was nothing I noticed the last time I went through, so if there's a setting in there it's hiding from me.

There's nothing in there that I can see that would affect boot time. Latest boot took exactly ten seconds longer than previous, all of that coming during the mobo splash.

Factory Factory posted:

Oh Jesus, JMicron RAID? Yeah, that would introduce impressive delays on boot. Unless you have drives plugged into that controller, turn it off completely in the BIOS. At least see if you can change it to AHCI instead of RAID.

I have two settings that can be RAID, but both are AHCI. PCH SATA Control Mode (can be IDE, RAID(XHD) or AHCI) and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (can be IDE, AHCI or RAID/IDE).

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

tzirean posted:

There's nothing in there that I can see that would affect boot time. Latest boot took exactly ten seconds longer than previous, all of that coming during the mobo splash.

Advanced BIOS Features > Quick Boot should be set to enabled.

tzirean posted:

I have two settings that can be RAID, but both are AHCI. PCH SATA Control Mode (can be IDE, RAID(XHD) or AHCI) and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (can be IDE, AHCI or RAID/IDE).

Integrated Peripherals > Onboard SATA/IDE Device should be set to disabled.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Advanced BIOS Features > Quick Boot should be set to enabled.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was enabled. Though it seems to have slowed the boot if anything.

Zhentar posted:

Integrated Peripherals > Onboard SATA/IDE Device should be set to disabled.

Did this. It knocked the Windows boot animation from 40+ seconds to about 17, so thank you for that. Nothing else changed; was the same ten-seconds-longer splash screen and then the same intervals in between.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Will an SSD speed up the following processes?

Defragging, Anti Virus Scanning or Erasing?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Will an SSD speed up the following processes?

Defragging, Anti Virus Scanning or Erasing?

Not necessary on an SSD, Yes, Yes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thermopyle posted:

Not necessary on an SSD, Yes, Yes.

Defragging isn't just not necessary its detrimental.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

People sure do love to defrag.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

DNova posted:

People sure do love to defrag.

People also love to post without reading the OP.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

My year-ish old Kingston 64GB SSD poo poo itself and went into readonly mode :sigh:
Guess I'll call them up tonight and see if I can get it replaced, anyone have experience calling them up?

If it's still under warranty it should be pretty painless; I used their Web RMA form when my old SSDNow 40GB started flaking out and had a check from them for the purchase price a few days after they received it.

dud root posted:

I've got a 100Mb system reserved partition after a fresh Win 7 install

When I used the Intel cloning tool to migrate a 40GB 320 Series to an 80GB the System Reserved Partition ended up being 197MB :pwn:

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 28, 2011

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Just bought a OCZ Vertex 3 120gb drive at the recommendation of an asian gentleman who was also buying one. I'm completely new at SSD's and really inexperienced with hard drive partitions and RAID. I'm going to throw out my 300gb HDD and just use my SSD and my 1TB drive. Any tips for what to throw on the SSD and what not to? Right now these are the things I am thinking of putting on my SSD:

-I plan on using the steam mover to manage my games on the SSD seeing as my steam folder is 450GB.

-My OS

-Virtual machines

-Programming software

-Photoshop

Also does it mess anything up with steam when I have it on my secondary hard drive and I throw out my main hard drive (the HDD with the OS on it and all the drivers and crap).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ThePriceIsRight posted:

Just bought a OCZ Vertex 3 120gb drive at the recommendation of an asian gentleman who was also buying one. I'm completely new at SSD's and really inexperienced with hard drive partitions and RAID. I'm going to throw out my 300gb HDD and just use my SSD and my 1TB drive. Any tips for what to throw on the SSD and what not to? Right now these are the things I am thinking of putting on my SSD:
First, read the OP, especially the part about OCZ drives and reliability. Return the drive for a refund if you can, if not, make sure you update the firmware and keep your data backed up. Aside from that, your plan looks good. In general, put anything you want to be fast that will fit onto your SSD.

quote:

Also does it mess anything up with steam when I have it on my secondary hard drive and I throw out my main hard drive (the HDD with the OS on it and all the drivers and crap).
You will need to reinstall Steam, though you can keep your Steam Apps cache so you don't have to redownload anything.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Alereon posted:

First, read the OP, especially the part about OCZ drives and reliability. Return the drive for a refund if you can, if not, make sure you update the firmware and keep your data backed up. Aside from that, your plan looks good. In general, put anything you want to be fast that will fit onto your SSD.
You will need to reinstall Steam, though you can keep your Steam Apps cache so you don't have to redownload anything.

OP says that new OCZ no longer have reliability issues, why should I return it? Or is there something else I don't know.

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 28, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

ThePriceIsRight posted:

OP says that new OCZ no longer have reliability issues, why should I return it? Or is there something else I don't know.
I wrote the OP, I'm sorry if it wasn't clear (and I'll go edit it), but yes OCZ drives still suffer from those reliability issues as of the latest numbers we have.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Alereon posted:

I wrote the OP, I'm sorry if it wasn't clear (and I'll go edit it), but yes OCZ drives still suffer from those reliability issues as of the latest numbers we have.

Wow I was about to buy the drat Corsair Force Series, but this older guy told me it was a terrible idea saying something about how it is asynchronous and can't read/write at the same time and that I should buy the ocz one. I knew I should have just bought it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If someone in the computer hardware aisle is giving away free advice, they probably have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about. There is a dude at my local Fry's who just hangs out all day and does this and never buys anything.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Dogen posted:

If someone in the computer hardware aisle is giving away free advice, they probably have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about. There is a dude at my local Fry's who just hangs out all day and does this and never buys anything.

Well he did give me good advice because I was about to buy the asynchronous corsair 60gb SSD, but he pointed out my mistake and said I should just spend $80 more and get a 120gb synchronous drive. Unfortunately for both of us we didn't know the OCZ track record and I should have done more research on an expensive component I knew next to nothing about. I'm also surprised the OP doesn't mention the differences between asynchronous and synchronous SSD's.

edit:

I'm probably going to go ahead and keep it after looking at more reviews online about this particular SSD. It seems that it doesn't suffer from the same reliance problems as the others and it was also on sale for $160 compared to the $220 on newegg.

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 28, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The asynchronous/synchronous thing actually isn't a very big deal, that's the difference between the Corsair Force 3 (asynchronous) and the Corsair Force GT (synchronous). Synchronous IS faster, I wouldn't generally say it's noticeable enough to pay money for. Here's benchmarks comparing the Corsair Force 3 120GB and Corsair Force GT 120GB from Anandtech. The exception is for small drives used for caching, where the price difference is small and you need every bit of performance you can scrounge up (because low capacity drives have low performance).

ThePriceIsRight posted:

edit: I'm probably going to go ahead and keep it after looking at more reviews online about this particular SSD. It seems that it doesn't suffer from the same reliance problems as the others and it was also on sale for $160 compared to the $220 on newegg.
Here's the latest return rate statistics we have, they show that the OCZ Vertex 3 still has the same high failure rate as other OCZ drives. The Sandforce BSOD bug was fixed in the firmware update, but that doesn't really help when the drives themselves are inherently unreliable. A Corsair Force 3 120GB is $159.99-$30 MIR=$129.99 at Newegg right now.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 28, 2011

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

This will teach me for buying expensive hardware without doing proper research. Although I suppose I can't be blamed for expecting a huge hardware company like OCZ to have their poo poo together when it comes to releasing at least somewhat reliable hardware. How can companies get away with practicing business this way?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ThePriceIsRight posted:

This will teach me for buying expensive hardware without doing proper research. Although I suppose I can't be blamed for expecting a huge hardware company like OCZ to have their poo poo together when it comes to releasing at least somewhat reliable hardware. How can companies get away with practicing business this way?

You're basically the example of how companies can get away with that.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

welp

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 29, 2011

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Just to add: you can get another $10 off

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

ChiliMac posted:

Just to add: you can get another $10 off
Thanks, I added that to the OP. I guess I'm just going to use the Value SSD section to call out deals, as we don't really have any SSDs with more compelling value than the Corsair Force 3.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
edit: issue resolved, for now!

Node fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 29, 2011

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Would there likely be any benefit to caching on a Z68 board if the boot drive is also an SSD? My gut tells me it would be slight if so. I have an 80GB Intel drive (SSDSA2M080G2GC) as a second drive in my old machine, and I'm about to build a new box with that drive as its boot drive, or maybe one of those Corsair drives above.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Oddhair posted:

Would there likely be any benefit to caching on a Z68 board if the boot drive is also an SSD? My gut tells me it would be slight if so. I have an 80GB Intel drive (SSDSA2M080G2GC) as a second drive in my old machine, and I'm about to build a new box with that drive as its boot drive, or maybe one of those Corsair drives above.

You can look at some real-world performance benchmarks for SSD caching at AnandTech. Bottom line: SSD caching works well, but a stand-alone SSD is faster. If you have a small SSD and run many programs off your storage drive, adding a cache to the storage drive can certainly increase performance significantly. But if you can swing purchasing an SSD big enough for all of your most-often-used programs, that will perform better and without worries of overfilling your cache.

There are a lot of SSDs at around $1 per GB right now in the 120 GB range; check the OP and last page or so of the SSD megathread. Then you can re-use your Intel drive in a laptop or netbook, and it won't cost much more than getting a single <=64GB SSD to cache.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am thinking of adding a small SSD system drive to my NAS (tired of the 4 minute boot times with FreeNAS-- I want 15sec Win2008 boot times), however the only free port for it is a eSATA port.

Would adding an SDD to that port via a eSATA to SATA cable that would be run externally to internally be slower than just SATA? I'm guessing not, but I've never really used eSATA before.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

jeeves posted:

I am thinking of adding a small SSD system drive to my NAS (tired of the 4 minute boot times with FreeNAS-- I want 15sec Win2008 boot times), however the only free port for it is a eSATA port.

Would adding an SDD to that port via a eSATA to SATA cable that would be run externally to internally be slower than just SATA? I'm guessing not, but I've never really used eSATA before.

I did that for a while. If the eSATA port is run from the main chipset, it works exactly like any of the inside SATA ports. If the eSATA port is attached to an add-on controller (like a JMicron chip), it will still work, and at full SATA speeds, but it will take a little more configuration to boot from - same idea as booting from a SATA PCI card.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also keep in mind that the controller for the eSATA port might be (probably is) lovely and slow, and lacks TRIM support.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The NAS is a Proliant Microserver N36L-- where could I find out what type of controller it has for the eSATA port?

I don't care much about speeds, as anything will be faster than FreeNAS off of a USB drive for boot times and such, but lack of TRIM might be a problem.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Just looking at the spec sheet, I'd say it's from the chipset AMD controller, same as the internal ports. The SB820M the N36L uses supports six ports, but there are only four internal. I also don't believe AMD does add-on SATA controllers.

I'd flash the hacked BIOS to enable full SATA II speeds, as I think that's done by having the machine treat the port as identical to the internal ones. Which would be, electrically, if it's on the same controller.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Can't get the drat steam mover to work properly. I have two drives, my SSD and my 1tb drive.

-I deleted steam from my 1tb drive, but kept the steamapps folder
- I installed steam onto my SSD
-I ran steammover and selected the common folders for both
-Nothing shows up at all if I select my SSD as my main common folder and my 1tb as secondary.
-If I select my 1tb as my main folder everything shows up, but the only option is to move my games to my SSD which I do not want because I just want to have steam on my SSD and run the games off my 1tb.

edit: It appears that steam mover doesn't help in my case because it requires you initially download the games to your SSD and then move them to an alternate folder, instead of having them already start out in an alternate folder and link them to steam.

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 29, 2011

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Just got a new Corsair force3 120GB SSD and I'm noticing that the CrystalDiskMark results are looking a little low. AHCI is enabled through the BIOS (it's an old P5K so I needed to use custom BIOS for that). It's hooked up to a SATA-300 port rather than SATA3 but I was under the impression that shouldn't affect the benchmarks too much.

Any ideas on what it could be or is it just my crappy motherboard?

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

ThePriceIsRight posted:

edit: It appears that steam mover doesn't help in my case because it requires you initially download the games to your SSD and then move them to an alternate folder, instead of having them already start out in an alternate folder and link them to steam.

Wait... so I went a similar route except I installed Steam/Games to my alternate and intend to "steammove" them to the SSD when appropriate--will this not work? Second question--is there a reason I would want Steam on my SSD (since I would only care about game performance)?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Factory Factory posted:

Just looking at the spec sheet, I'd say it's from the chipset AMD controller, same as the internal ports. The SB820M the N36L uses supports six ports, but there are only four internal. I also don't believe AMD does add-on SATA controllers.

I'd flash the hacked BIOS to enable full SATA II speeds, as I think that's done by having the machine treat the port as identical to the internal ones. Which would be, electrically, if it's on the same controller.

I think I remember hearing when I was researching the product that the eSATA just uses the same ports as the other 5. And yeah, I flashed the BIOS to the hacked one already.

Thanks for the info!

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ChiliMac posted:

Wait... so I went a similar route except I installed Steam/Games to my alternate and intend to "steammove" them to the SSD when appropriate--will this not work? Second question--is there a reason I would want Steam on my SSD (since I would only care about game performance)?

You can steammove them to the main SSD, the only problem I have is that I just want the steam application and a few games on my SSD. The way it works I am forced to first to put all my games onto my SSD and then steammove them to my alternate. Moving 450GB of games onto and off my SSD would take forever not to mention decreasing the life of my SSD.

ShamrockShake
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ThePriceIsRight posted:

I'm going to throw out my 300gb HDD and just use my SSD and my 1TB drive.

If you are on a desktop why the hell would you throw away a 300gb drive? Keep it in your case copy any important, irreplacable or user-created files over once every few months. Disconnect it from the power supply when not in use and you have robust nearline storage for free.

I'm no asian gentleman, but that a good reccomendation.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, I have Steam installed on a 128GB SSD and any time I get a new game, I have to pick where it goes. It shouldn't too meaningfully decrease the useful life of the SSD, barring unforeseen issues with firmware or other crashes, because, honestly, even moving around large games is hardly the kind of stress that's going to burn out your writes with modern flash. On my 96GB Kingston V+100 with the Toshiba controller that has an unusually high write amplification factor, I'm more careful to only put stuff on it that's going to stay there.

You can have Steam installed anywhere and you can have multiple roll-over folders with SteamMover (NTFS junctions work just as well for Origin, too, if you happen to be an EA games user who wants to play Crysis 2, for example :v:). My advice would be to make sure Steam is installed to the HDD. That way you decide what games move to the SSD... instead of which games move off of it. While I don't think it's a huge risk for drive life or anything, it would be nice if I didn't have to do this quite so often.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone give their opinion on the OCZ Octanes that use the Everset controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SlayVus posted:

Can anyone give their opinion on the OCZ Octanes that use the Everset controller?

Anand gave it a positive review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5147/the-ocz-octane-review-512gb

It's an OCZ, though. I don't think anyone around here has bought one and reported back.

• Locked thread