Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Lifted from the SSD thread in Coupons and Deals:

The Samsung 830 256 GB unit is in my shopping cart as I type this for $154.99, may be changed by midnight though. $30 cheaper than their Crucial M4 of the same capacity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

Binary Badger posted:

Lifted from the SSD thread in Coupons and Deals:

The Samsung 830 256 GB unit is in my shopping cart as I type this for $154.99, may be changed by midnight though. $30 cheaper than their Crucial M4 of the same capacity!

Do you need to sign up for something to see them as those prices? I see the regular prices for them.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

FungiCap posted:

Do you need to sign up for something to see them as those prices? I see the regular prices for them.

No, it just means you were a bit too late for the deal. :(

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Finally popped my SSD cherry and bought this fucker right here. My Windows boot time went from about five minutes to about six or seven seconds. :monocle:

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

...! posted:

Finally popped my SSD cherry and bought this fucker right here. My Windows boot time went from about five minutes to about six or seven seconds. :monocle:

Yeah, an SSD is one of those things whose value can be hard to discern from benchmarks alone. You read them and think "well yeah I can boot a bit faster, but I rarely need to anyhow and they're so pricey...", then you install it and everything you do on the desktop is instant and you can barely comprehend how you spent so many years waiting for your computer to do things.

Even six months after buying my first SSD I'll occasionally pull a :staredog: after coming home from the dogshit computers at work and having everything be so fast. If only I'd known before I would have bought one much earlier.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just a public service announcement, make sure your SSD is plugged into one of your motherboards Intel SATA ports.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

FallenGod posted:

Yeah, an SSD is one of those things whose value can be hard to discern from benchmarks alone. You read them and think "well yeah I can boot a bit faster, but I rarely need to anyhow and they're so pricey...", then you install it and everything you do on the desktop is instant and you can barely comprehend how you spent so many years waiting for your computer to do things.

Even six months after buying my first SSD I'll occasionally pull a :staredog: after coming home from the dogshit computers at work and having everything be so fast. If only I'd known before I would have bought one much earlier.
Yeah, again, there are things beyond boot times that become instantly noticeable. For instance, I have my documents folder set as a menu from Start now, because before, it would make the Start Menu stay open while my documents folder loaded.

Hell, until I got an SSD, I didn't even realize I was waiting for folders to load when I'd open the save or open dialog. Now my work computer feels like a piece of poo poo.

Red Robin Hood posted:

The company I work for was in a panic yesterday because we have a BIG show this month and the touch-screen computer they wanted to bring down there had a slow HD so they had me throw in a SSD that we had sitting around in the office...

loving OCZ please don't fail while they are down there :negative:
Uh oh. Reminds me that I have 2 OCZ drives sitting around in an office at my work, because they're both busted apparently. They both appear to work, and you can load an OS on them and use them for a day without apparent issues; however, you come back to work the next day, and everything's gone.

Actually, I never bothered to look up the issue, like check out the firmware version. Would that fix it, or since they're both OCZ's, is it not even worth it? They're both 60 Gb OCZ Vertex 2's.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

FallenGod posted:

The drat install took a couple of hours because I was being a dumbass, though. After installing the drat thing, my system wouldn't POST. It would turn on for a couple of seconds and then the power immediately shut off. I finally figured out that the problem was the orientation of my motherboard's SATA slots. The hard drive cage was pushing the SATA slots which was pushing the motherboard back against the side of the case, which was causing a short. I ended up having to just remove the hard drive cage altogether and install the SSD (and my HDDs) in harder-to-reach 3.5 inch bays. I don't know how I managed to get the cage in the system without causing a short until now though. :downs:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Phoenixan posted:

Uh oh. Reminds me that I have 2 OCZ drives sitting around in an office at my work, because they're both busted apparently. They both appear to work, and you can load an OS on them and use them for a day without apparent issues; however, you come back to work the next day, and everything's gone.

Actually, I never bothered to look up the issue, like check out the firmware version. Would that fix it, or since they're both OCZ's, is it not even worth it? They're both 60 Gb OCZ Vertex 2's.
I'd certainly try updating the firmware and secure erasing them, and if that doesn't fix it, RMA them and Ebay the unopened drives you get back (64GB Vertex 4s?).

Dragonlily
Nov 14, 2004

Gluing Carpet To Your Genitals Does Not Make You A Cantaloupe

Eddain posted:

Someone recently posted Samsung SSD deals in the Coupons & Deals forum.

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW $69.99

It's a pretty big price drop according to the price history.

Really wish I would have see this 2 days ago... :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm having a very strange issue with a Crucial SSD.

When I put it in my laptop, a relatively new Lenovo X220 and install Windows 8 on it, it works fine. Installs quickly, boots up fine, all good. However when I put the same drive in my HTPC, which is a rather old home built PC, ASRock Wolfdale MB ( model page ) with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, it has all sorts of problems:

With Windows 8, it installs fine, and runs the first time fine, but when I reboot it later it boots to repair install. From here I can reset the PC, wiping everything, and it will boot up again, but won't survive a reboot.

With Windows 7, on this SSD install takes forever, between every screen about five to ten minutes. And then when it finally finishes, it will likely not survive a reboot afterwards.

The MB works fine with regular HDs. I have it running with a Windows 7 build now, and it's fine. I just can't figure out what the problem is. I've updated the firmware on the MB and the drive, but I think it's some kind of incompatibility between my HD and MB, but I have no idea. I'm stumped because it installs, sees the drive, and everything fine. But it just won't survive a reboot. Windows updates are turned off, so it's not that, unless Windows 8 does some update in the background.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
So my Corsair X32 that I've had since October 7th 2009 finally died, was hoping to get more than 3 years out of it. big suffer on that one.

I had to use Parted Magic boot disc to resize the partition on my Games drive and add another partition so I could image over the backup I had from Sept 29th using Acronis bootdisc, lost some save game and a couple of other things -- serves me right for not setting up a constant backup thing with Acronis. How can people use computers without SSDs, it's so bad and so slow holy poo poo.

My install is only 14GB so it doesn't take very long, I've been using this same install since Windows 7 came out.

Probably gonna order a Samsung 830 256GB (£130 on Amazon right now) and put my games on it too so I'll only have one mechanical drive for storage. If I wanted to do a fresh install on this new SSD with Windows 7 and SP1, is there someway to install another Windows 7 somewhere and do all my settings and install programs onto it in preparation for when the new SSD gets here on Monday, then make an image of it so I can quickly restore it using Acronis? What would be the best way to do this? Make another partition on a different drive and do it that way? Could it be done using VMs? (I have no experience at all with VM)

also: £105 for a 32GB SSD with 90mb/s write speed in 2009, £130 for a 256GB SSD with 400mb/s write speed in 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 20, 2012

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

So my Corsair X32 that I've had since October 7th 2009 finally died, was hoping to get more than 3 years out of it. big suffer on that one.

I had to use Parted Magic boot disc to resize the partition on my Games drive and add another partition so I could image over the backup I had from Sept 29th using Acronis bootdisc, lost some save game and a couple of other things -- serves me right for not setting up a constant backup thing with Acronis. How can people use computers without SSDs, it's so bad and so slow holy poo poo.

My install is only 14GB so it doesn't take very long, I've been using this same install since Windows 7 came out.

Probably gonna order a Samsung 830 256GB (£130 on Amazon right now) and put my games on it too so I'll only have one mechanical drive for storage.

Woah, dropped £40 in 4 months, that's pretty crazy. To be fair, it was even worth the £170-£190 I paid for it, but drat that's a quick and steep price drop.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

ijyt posted:

Woah, dropped £40 in 4 months, that's pretty crazy. To be fair, it was even worth the £170-£190 I paid for it, but drat that's a quick and steep price drop.

the 128GB ones are only £80 as well. Starting to think I don't actually need 256GB of space. I have about 70GB of games but I only actually play 2 of them. 20GB max for Windows install and then maybe 30GB for the games I actually play now and I still have 70GB space left over to put other games on...

Might as well save myself £50??

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
In 2010 a friend sold me his Intel X-25 (is there an M in there somewhere?). He said it wasn't big enough for his macbook. Whatever. Anyway what I want to know is, how reliable should I expect this drive to be? Yesterday I ran the Intel SSD Toolbox thing on it and it passed the tests so I guess it's still in good shape. Anyone else rocking this SSD?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Crimson Harvest posted:

In 2010 a friend sold me his Intel X-25 (is there an M in there somewhere?). He said it wasn't big enough for his macbook. Whatever. Anyway what I want to know is, how reliable should I expect this drive to be? Yesterday I ran the Intel SSD Toolbox thing on it and it passed the tests so I guess it's still in good shape. Anyone else rocking this SSD?
What drive is it? There are a lot of different X-25 drives of various different versions. In general, with the latest firmware, Intel drives are reliable if slow.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm at work so I don't have the exact part number handy but it's a first generation 160gb drive. I'll reply later when I can be more specific.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Used to have a couple of these - they are awesome but the write speeds are lacking.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm at work so I don't have the exact part number handy but it's a first generation 160gb drive. I'll reply later when I can be more specific.

If you're coming from a spinny disk, its going to be night and day.
(I had an X25-M G2 80GB, and would still be using it but needed more space)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Crimson Harvest posted:

In that case do leave around 30% of the drive unpartitioned to give the garbage collection a chance to work in the absence of Trim.

Ought Six
Oct 2, 2011

Aqui no hay primavera de Praga, es la primavera de Chile.
The OP doesn't make mention of SLC SSDs, are they in any way preferable to MLCs for OS drives?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ought Six posted:

The OP doesn't make mention of SLC SSDs, are they in any way preferable to MLCs for OS drives?
The biggest advantage of SLC drives is their enormous write tolerance--the speed advantage of SLC's is largely irrelevant these days. And, unless you're planning on running some hideously write-intensive DB application on it, write tolerance isn't an issue anymore, either. So, in short, there's no reason to spend the extra money for a SLC drive. poo poo, some of the new SSDs coming out are actually using triple level cells.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Ought Six posted:

In any way preferable? Yes. Besides the write endurance, they generally have a random write speed advantage because of the NAND cells' faster program time. That is, assuming you're comparing SLC to MLC in otherwise-identical drives. But otherwise-identical drives varying only on SLC vs. MLC aren't made any more, because 1) write endurance isn't an issue on SSDs for desktop use, and 2) the difference in real-world write latency is not noticeable to humans in desktop workloads.

So it doesn't matter, and you can't buy 'em because people know they don't matter. SLC is reserved for enterprise gear, where it does matter.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Finally got around to installing my replacement Samsung 830 (first one was damaged) in my 2010 MBP. What a huuuuuge difference. It's crazy good. Illustrator went from 33s load time to 7s.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
For those in the UK, the Samsung 830 256GB has just hit £129.99 on ebuyer.
http://www.ebuyer.com/398216-samsung-256gb-830-series-ssd-mz-7pc256b-ww

Yes, it's cheaper than anywhere else by a decent margin right now.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

HalloKitty posted:

For those in the UK, the Samsung 830 256GB has just hit £129.99 on ebuyer.
http://www.ebuyer.com/398216-samsung-256gb-830-series-ssd-mz-7pc256b-ww

Yes, it's cheaper than anywhere else by a decent margin right now.

I picked up the same drive for $150 (USD, of course) yesterday, some company was clearancing them through ebay. This will replace my 128GB M4, which will now live in the PC I'm building for my parents. Lucky them.

I'm not sure why Samsung (or their vendors) are clearing out the 830, it's still a top-tier device with great reliability. Get 'em while they're hot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Civil posted:

I picked up the same drive for $150 (USD, of course) yesterday, some company was clearancing them through ebay. This will replace my 128GB M4, which will now live in the PC I'm building for my parents. Lucky them.

I'm not sure why Samsung (or their vendors) are clearing out the 830, it's still a top-tier device with great reliability. Get 'em while they're hot.

Maybe they're going to just make the 840 in the near future, and use all their 830 parts to supply Apple for presumably more $$.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe they're going to just make the 840 in the near future, and use all their 830 parts to supply Apple for presumably more $$.

I doubt that, as Samsung is already intentionally getting out of supplying LCDs to Apple. Apple is already getting ready to switch away from Samsung as far as making CPUs for iPhones / iPads as well. If Apple is trying to avoid Samsung for sourcing its LCD and CPU components, they're probably going to not order SSDs from them either.

Whatever the reason is for Samsung dumping 830s onto the market, I doubt it has anything to do with Apple, unless Samsung was betting on Apple staying with them as an SSD source, which IMHO, I also doubt highly.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 22, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

I doubt that, as Samsung is already intentionally getting out of supplying LCDs to Apple. Apple is already getting ready to switch away from Samsung as far as making CPUs for iPhones / iPads as well. If Apple is trying to avoid Samsung for sourcing its LCD and CPU components, they're probably going to not order SSDs from them either.

Whatever the reason is for Samsung dumping 830s onto the market, I doubt it has anything to do with Apple, unless Samsung was betting on Apple staying with them as an SSD source, which IMHO, I also doubt highly.

That's true, doesn't Apple use Sandforce controllers in some of their drives now?

But then again maybe Samsung is a big enough company where one division doesn't care about the bullshit going on with another division.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
I was gifted a Samsung 830 series 128gb drive for my birthday, and now I have to figure out how best to use it.

I have two PCs, a laptop, which runs Linux and is used for coding, web surfing, and whatever I need to do while I'm not at home, and a desktop, running Windows, which I use for PC games and more web surfing. I probably end up using my laptop just a little bit more than my desktop.

My understanding is that I'll probably notice the biggest difference on the laptop, based on my usage. Does that seem about right to you guys?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Which system do you spend more time waiting on the disk on? Are they of roughly equal computing capabilities? Does one of them have a harddrive that is failing, or a sub-standard RPM drive? (<5200rpm on the laptop, <7200rpm on the desktop) If either have drives that are nearing the end of their lifespan (5 years) it would make more sense to replace that one.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Alereon posted:

Which system do you spend more time waiting on the disk on? Are they of roughly equal computing capabilities? Does one of them have a harddrive that is failing, or a sub-standard RPM drive? (<5200rpm on the laptop, <7200rpm on the desktop) If either have drives that are nearing the end of their lifespan (5 years) it would make more sense to replace that one.

I don't notice waiting on the disk on either one. They're both of roughly equal compute capabilities (the desktop has a much nicer video card), and both have hard drives of approximately the same age.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you use the laptop more, put it in there. The benefits of faster hibernate/boot might be noticed more on a laptop too if you're using it away from power a lot.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
So I am thinking of grabbing an upgrade to my existing SSD (64 Gb) and moving to a 256 gb drive. I saw that I could use a link cable (provided by crucial although I am guessing they could be provided by anyone) that will copy the contents over to my 256 GB SSD, leaving the rest of the drive open, and I can boot off that without having to reinstall my O/S. Is this correct? It would save a lot of headache for me.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zuph posted:

I was gifted a Samsung 830 series 128gb drive for my birthday, and now I have to figure out how best to use it.

I have two PCs, a laptop, which runs Linux and is used for coding, web surfing, and whatever I need to do while I'm not at home, and a desktop, running Windows, which I use for PC games and more web surfing. I probably end up using my laptop just a little bit more than my desktop.

My understanding is that I'll probably notice the biggest difference on the laptop, based on my usage. Does that seem about right to you guys?

I would put the 830 in the desktop and just get a discounted older drive like an X25-M or something for a laptop, if all you use it for is Linux/coding/web surfing. There are 80GB drives for $40-50 these days (see here for Canada) and that's more than enough for a Linux system if you don't need a lot of media storage.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Since I like gamblin' I bought a 60gb OCZ to give 'er a whirl. Should I update the firmware from 2.15 to 2.25? I looked for release note but couldn't find anything.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Red Robin Hood posted:

Since I like gamblin' I bought a 60gb OCZ to give 'er a whirl. Should I update the firmware from 2.15 to 2.25? I looked for release note but couldn't find anything.
Yes always update the firmware to the latest version (this Crucial issue is an abnormality). That said, if you want specific advice you would need to tell us what SSD you got, just the brand doesn't help at all.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 120Gb Intel 330. It occurred to me after I placed the order that my motherboard only supports SATA2. How big a bottleneck will this be?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 120Gb Intel 330. It occurred to me after I placed the order that my motherboard only supports SATA2. How big a bottleneck will this be?
This is covered in the OP. Not very big, your peak throughput will be limited to SATA300 speeds, but that's still 10X or so what an HDD would do if it wasn't able to do sustained transfers, and 100X an HDDs random read/write performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Alereon posted:

Yes always update the firmware to the latest version (this Crucial issue is an abnormality). That said, if you want specific advice you would need to tell us what SSD you got, just the brand doesn't help at all.

Sorry... Agility 3

• Locked thread