Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
To add another data point for the SandForce SF-2281 controller, I recently bought an OCZ Agility 3 240 GB. I have had a 60 GB Vertex 1 for a while and it has worked great for me, so when Amazon had the Agility 3 240 GB for $190 after rebate (plus free shipping to Hawaii, compared with an extra $20+ for all the NewEgg deals), I decided to give it a go.

I will be building an Ivy Bridge system when the OEM processors get released (hopefully) tomorrow, but I wanted to test out the drive before I cut out the UPC for the rebate. So, I hooked up the Agility 3 to my computer, loaded ~90 GB of video files on to it, and let it sit, occasionally playing a video from it when I was home and remembered to.

I tested the drive for three days, and it caused a BSOD on each of those three days. The first was when I was web-browsing, the second was when the computer was left on overnight, and the third was when I was typing in MS Word.

Which is interesting, since the explanation for the BSODs seems to be that the controller disconnects the OS drive. My OS was still on the Vertex 1 60 GB, and I was still getting the BSOD!

FWIW, my outgoing system is a Q6600 on a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L with the original BIOS running Windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Vertigus posted:

I remember when flashing custom firmware to rebranded Lite-On CD burners was a thing. You'd go from a 4x burner without burn-proof to an 8x burner with burn-proof.
I remember when Lite-On CD drives were used to defeat CD copy protection, since the drives were (at the time) so lovely that the copy protection part of the CD wouldn’t read properly.

• Locked thread