Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
Until I asked what you were thinking
This samsung SSD went on sale as part of Newegg's "2011 best-seller blow out" that's going on. I've been waiting for a while to pull the trigger on an SSD and am wondering if a less technically challenged goon could tell me if this is worth getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006

Alereon posted:

It's rather old, so you'd probably be better off with something recommended in the OP, like this Corsair Force 3 120GB for $159.99-$30 MIR=$129.99.

Thanks, I just noticed that force 3's price drop as well. I also saw that the Crucial M4 128gb dropped <$200 too and I'm trying to pick between one of these two.

What am I getting for the extra $60 that I would pay on the Crucial M4? It has the same disc space as the force 3 (ok fine the crucial has 8gb more) and the advertised speeds are allegedly higher on the force 3 too despite it being cheaper. What's the catch!?

Chronos13
Sep 6, 2006
First, I wanna say thanks for the OP. It was immensely helpful in picking an SSD.

I just picked up the crucial M4 128 gb and installed it into my case and connected it via SATA 6gb. My computer detected it and everything and it's reading as 119 gb unallocated space (where the other 9 gb went is beyond me.)

I have read through the entire SSD thread but am yet to see a definitive go-to formatting guide. I would just like to move my windows operating system and games on the SSD in the easiest, most user-friendly method possible. I'm not terribly incompetent with tech but this is my first time building a new rig/formatting drives. Can someone point me to a guide or something?

• Locked thread