Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

DrDork posted:

It should be noted that the 840 is more "next-gen" than "current-gen" on the grounds that it's the only one out there right now; the 830 is the same generation as all the other current front-runners.

But yeah, wait on the 840. Samsung has had a very solid reputation so far, but it really has no practical benefits over the 830, other than that it will (eventually) end up being cheaper once production ramps up.

I just grabbed an 830 256GB off Amazon for $169 and I can't wait to put it in my aging HP laptop (about 2 years old).

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask about hooking the SSD up. The guys at Fry's looked at me cross eyed when I asked them if they carried the internal connector to hook a SATA HD to a laptop. (I know just enough about modern computer parts to sound like an idiot so it's not a surprise)

There's a connector for the current hard drive that I was going to use for the SSD. But the laptop has an extra bay so I'd like to hook the original (non-SSD) HD back up.

This is what I'm looking at: Linked because picture is huge.
This shows the second (empty) bay, with first bay cutting off to the side. It appears they connect via a small cable I'm not familiar with. I gave the connection a pull to try and see if it was the same little connector near bay 2. But it's on there pretty good and I didn't want to damage it. I didn't know what that kind of connector was called.

However there appears to be a micro sata connector in the empty space (where it points "REMOVE") between the bays (near bay one, facing bay two (empty)).

Would I be right in saying I can just hook the SSD to the original cable in bay 1 and then buy this cable to hook non-SSD HD into bay 2? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056OB8GK/

Or perhaps there's an easier solution? (I'm sure I'm missing something)

Let me know if I should ask this somewhere else and I'll take this post out of the SSD thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Obsurveyor posted:

That's the connector for a bluetooth or wifi accessory card. Note the wire holder for the whip antenna to the south of the REMOVE logo. The black mylar pad is to protect the laptop's motherboard from the accessory's circuit board. The two screw posts on the right end of the black mylar pad are to retain the card in place.

The second hard drive connector is probably just to the left of the camera flash. You are going to have to get that part from HP, along with the sled that holds the drive in place. The cable you linked to on Amazon is not it.

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. HP doesn't show the price for the part until it's in your cart. But this is it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002S4NO6I/

It's a little cheaper from HP, at $59.99. :bang:

For that price I might as well use my external hard drive as backup. At least I can just swap the HD for SSD since they're both SATA. gently caress HP.

EDIT: I might run over to RE-PC and see if they have it in some bucket somewhere in their store. Thanks again!

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 28, 2012

• Locked thread