Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

sliceoftoast posted:

I only have one laptop (a 1-year-old Dell, not some ancient/obscure piece of junk) so if it doesn't work on it, then too bad for Crucial. Popping in the old hdd, or a standard one, works fine right away (and has for the last year, this laptop has never had a single problem).

The firmware was the latest version according to Crucial's firmware update utility.

I guess I'm lucky that it didn't fail 31 days in. Whatever speedups come with an SSD--and honestly when it worked I didn't feel like it was that great--just aren't worth the outrageous hassle of replacing drives, reinstalling OS's, and restoring backups.

Was your motherboard running the latest BIOS? I had an issue with my desktop that made it crap it's pants until I updated the BIOS.

e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Yes, leaden weights are great for balloons. :rolleyes:

Iron to Lead only increases weight by 40%, so if you replace the outer cover of the SSD with lead you'll be seeing a minimal weight increase. :shrug:

Also :eng101: you can use aluminum shielding, or if you want to go super fancy polyethylene-tantalum.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 8, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Stereotype posted:

I didn't know the difference in hardware between the controllers, this is the sort of information I was looking for! We suspected radiation issues since long duration testing of the 320s in the lab didn't yield any issues, yet they had a high failure rate in flight. Shielding the drives using thick aluminum plate may be a good idea as well.

Since it seems like you have resources, tantalum is a WAY better shielder than aluminum for space applications, it's a denser material but it is way more efficient at shielding, so you need less weight for the same shielding.

e: or go with silflex (I think that was the name) which is used in nuclear plants and is p good, you can bother them for a sample sometimes.

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 8, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

What's a cheapo (~3x:20bux:) low capacity drive I can move my NAS' OS drive to that will last a while with minimal IO (definitely sub-1GB a week)? It's been running on a 8yo glass platter drive and I get the distinct feeling it's on borrowed time (no performance issues, SMART shows no issues).

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

It costs about $100 to make an SSD, below that you can't really make a drive that will be reliable and have acceptable performance. If you truly don't want to spend $99.99 for a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB, look into non-SSD storage options. There's also a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 60GB for $79.99, but drives <120GB are much less reliable than the larger capacity models, and when you consider the performance deficit it's just not worth it.

Alright, I'll drop the cash on the 120GB one, performance wasn't a target (it's running on an old as molases 5400 rpm drive) but if there's that much difference in reliability I'll go with 120. Thanks!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pudgygiant posted:

What's wrong with using a thumb drive? If you're paranoid about losing the OS I suppose you can get a couple of them and just back it up once a week or so for way cheaper than $100.

I'll go with "it didn't occur to me" as an answer to this one.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ehnus posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Samsung 840 Pro or Intel DC S3500 in database servers? Or, if not, any thoughts on which one would be a better pick?

I've read many good impressions about the 840 Pro but it would be great to hear about people that are using them under heavy loads.

Neither, for heavy DB loads you want DC S3700 not the S3500. Check out Anand's review

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Nononono.

If you're using Windows 2012 you want Storage Spaces and let it manage the redundancy for you. 2x SSD (3x if you want N+2) for speed and the rest Reds.

Hell with thin provisioning you can make a 4TB partition with just 2x 200GB SSDs and grow when 2012 tells you.

BTW: this would still be a NAS not a SAN.

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 21, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Can I just stick a bunch of drives on the on-board SATA ports in JBOD and put them all in a single storage space?

JBOD? No. Windows needs to know about each individual drive and manage them independently. Obviously I am recommending this for lab use and savings, on an actual server you'd want battery backup on your controllers to manage failures. I am assuming your worst case scenario is having to lose data and shrugging it off not "poo poo we lost the data it's the end of the world because what are tapes" enterprise scenario.

caveat: I don't use windows storage spaces for anything enterprise, I have toyed around with them, my "serious" storage happens on multi master georeplicated DRBD'd volumes with STONITH watchdogs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Thingyman posted:

The OP says to wait until mid-September to buy an 840 EVO. Is that just a general "wait until the firmware matures", or is there something specific you guys are waiting until then for? Would I be safe throwing one in my wishlist for purchase in early October?

just a general "wait until the firmware matures"

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Yip Yips posted:

Can you expand on this? I put one of these in my parents computer because they barely use it so I want to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up.

It needs to be plugged into an ahci/Intel RST port.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

It depends on the drive. Usually they exist to fix bugs and improve reliability, though they can also improve performance. In general terms you want to run the latest firmware available and check periodically for updates, though you don't necessarily want to apply updates immediately after they come out unless they fix a problem you are having. On Sandforce-based drives there were a couple firmware versions with broken TRIM, so you want to make sure you are on a version after that.

Not to mention the infamous M4 firmwares that broke... everything.

Speaking of which, what's the latest stable M4 firmware for use in a UEFI system?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

On an install of Windows that's been in use for awhile your Side-by-Side folder will have ballooned, and there's not really a safe/easy way to clean it up.

On Windows 7+: dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded /hidesp

On Windows 8 you can abuse dism.exe to do some extreme scalpeling of your install.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Keep in mind that WinSXS has a crapload of Junctions Hard Links in it so the size it reports is nowhere near it's actual size. :catdrugs:

either use du from sysinternals or: robocopy c:\windows\winsxs c:\crap /l /b /xj /e /nfl /ndl /njh /r:0 on an admin prompt.

e: missed /b

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 4, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

Are you sure about this? I'm not seeing any on my system and a quick Google does not confirm this.

Well then I remember something incorrectly v0v.

e: Ok, not Junctions, hardlinks:

quote:

In practice, nearly every file in the WinSxS directory is a “hard link” to the physical files elsewhere on the system—meaning that the files are not actually in this directory. For instance in the WinSxS there might be a file called advapi32.dll that takes up >700K however what’s being reported is a hard link to the actual file that lives in the Windows\System32, and it will be counted twice (or more) when simply looking at the individual directories from Windows Explorer.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2008/11/19/disk-space.aspx

e to add: To be quite honest it's not "nearly every file" as the blog states, but there are a lot of them in there.

deimos fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 4, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's the same practical effect as not using hardlinks once the system has been used for a bit. When the file the hardlink points to is deleted (such as when the application is upgraded), the hardlink in WinSxS will still consume the space, which is the behavior people are complaining about.

That's what Windows 8's DISM does that is better than 7's, it clears out the superseded components out of the store.

This is the one for Win8: dism /online /cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup

Keep in mind if something depended on an old component you're now thoroughly hosed.

deimos fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 5, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Agreed posted:

Oh, bother, that command does nothing as apparently I have no SP backup folder already. It errors out at the stage where it goes looking for that. I'd like to shrink my Windows 7 Professional installation a bit, too :(

Check the output of this: dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /CheckHealth

e: can you tell I had some issues with Windows' package management recently?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Agreed posted:

The output of that, ironically, is "The CheckHealth option is not recognized in this context."

Error 87, which seems to be a blanket error code that covers syntax errors, improper commands, and apparently this too.

and you're running Windows 7 SP1? I may have to check on a Win7 machine to get the right command, sorry!

e: apparently /Cleanup-Image doesn't take /CheckHealth on Win7 (so try running dism.exe /online /cleanup-image

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 5, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

That's also not a valid command on Windows 7, pretty much the only valid one is /spsuperseded. As far as I've ever been able to tell the only way to clean up the winsxs folder on Windows 7 is to go in there manually, figure out what stuff you don't need, and delete it.

:argh: They change DISM arguments every loving SP. 2008, R2 and the different SPs for 2008s all have different arguments. 2012 and Win8 are somewhat similar.... FOR NOW.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

I am debating making two iSCSI targets on my NAS and grabbing my two M4s, adding them to my new system making a "Storage Space" on Win8 with the 2x SSDs and the targets to make a 12TB monster drive that may or may not be speedy.

Bonus points if I can get a decommished 10Gbps fibre switch from work.

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 5, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Deimos, can you describe what you're doing in more detail? That sounds somewhat like a tiered storage space in WS2012 R2

I am just gonna add them to a storage space, without WS2012 R2 it will probably run like crap because "tiered spaces" are strictly a 2012R2 domain (for now I hope).

I had forgotten that detail before I made that post. So now I will fret for a while and probably end up using a single M4 on my NAS with EnhanceIO to power my tomfoolery.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

Make sure TRIM still works in that configuration, Crucial M4s suck pretty badly without TRIM.

EnhanceIO can TRIM, or not, it's a setting.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I should have checked eBay before paying $109 for my 120GB.

Keep in mind, some of the poo poo on eBay is fake.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

That's an mATX case that only lets you put in an mITX to be honest, my SG10 is smaller than a Prodigy.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

whatupdet posted:

I tried this from the OP but received a message indicating I need administrative privileges which is odd because I'm the admin and only account on my clean install of Windows 7. I also receive similar pop up messages when trying to access my secondary storage drives. What gives?

run the command prompt as administrator.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

My question is, is there such a thing as a good SandForce given their past history?

Very many SandForce drives are good (see Intel drives using them), final firmware is upto the drive manufacturer not the controller manufacturer, so that's where the ball falls through.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Jesup, the 1TB EVO for $490 on Amazon.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

So now we'll get poor performing controllers with little validation! :eng99:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

quote:

Does not ship to US Protectorates
:smithicide:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Antignition posted:

Times like these make me glad I'm making a career out of the software side of computers.

Yeah... until one of your software components starts acting up randomly and it happens to be a perfect storm of software AND hardware that is causing the issue.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

NerdPolice posted:

Also if you do run from CD remember to turn off AHCI during the boot from cd process as most DVD drives will not read properly without an ahci driver as I found out first hand.

Don Lapre posted:

The samsung migration software runs from inside windows.

barbarianbob posted:

*doesn't have a DVD drive*

:geno:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Got the last one on the shelf (which is always the worst possible idea at Fry's, but it was still factory sealed). My i5 PC went from a solid 3-4 minutes from power on to "still stuttering a bit", to "press power button, sit back for 30 seconds, get a 1 second glimpse of the Win8 logo during bootup, HOW THE gently caress IS IT ALREADY AT THE DESKTOP?! WHY IS IT NOT THRASHING?!?!?!?!?!"

I should probably do a full reinstall eventually; as it is, I moved my existing OS partition to the new drive. Win 8.1 recognizes it as an SSD, at least.

That POST is sooooooooooo sloooooowwwww. So glad BIOS is dead, long live UEFI, on a (slower) M4 SSD with UEFI GOP Windows 8(.1) gets to the desktop 8-9 seconds after pressing the power button.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

fletcher posted:

Welp, some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I got a brand new laptop at work, Lenovo T440p. Seems pretty sweet so far.

The bad news is my statement about everything being backed up wasn't completely accurate. Everything was backed up except for the ssh keys to the production ec2 instances :lol:

Fortunately it's not a total crisis since I can just spin up a new instance and restore from the automated backups.

Orrr you could mount the EBS volume on another instance and add a new pubkey.

Also, you might want to not use the PKs on EC2 for normal logins. You want to store those for safekeeping somewhere manually as SOP.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

KillHour posted:

Well, like I said, these will see quite a few writes. I typically size 2-3x larger than I need for live drives (so if I expect to record 100GB/day, I would use a pair of 240GB drives in RAID 1). I don't know if that qualifies as "too heavy" or not.

Also, like I said, I really want to use PCIe drives as much as possible, but if nobody here has expertise in them, I'll keep looking around for info.

Just for some background - 90% of the servers we sell are 8 or 12 bay 2U LFF servers, which is why drive bays are so important.

Milestone lets you have as many RAID sets as you need, so we could definitely split the cameras up. The biggest problem with that, though, is that if we have a lot of activity on a specific set of cameras, the recordings could be lopsided. H.264 bitrate is HEAVILY dependent on the amount of motion, and we only record when there is motion in a scene.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Is there a reason not to go with the DC S3500 drives? They're rated for 450TB instead of the 128TB on the 730. Not in the same class as the 7.3PB of the S3700, but an 800GB is $785 from disti, which is very reasonable for my target market.

One thing I don't get, if you're worried mostly about the short term performance and poo poo's going into long term anyways why not spend ~$10k on each system to load it with RAM? No need to worry about lifetime that way and poo poo is going straight to archive while the seeking and buffering won't matter because it's all page cached by the OS. Couple orders of magnitude faster too.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

KillHour posted:

The software doesn't support it. I guess I could create a RAM disk and point the software at that, but if you lose power, you just lost your last day's worth of recordings.

Software doesn't need to support it, instead of a RAM disk use a RAM cache layer (easier on linux because the kernel can be configured to be way more aggressive with page caching), on windows there are many options, this is one.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

BobHoward posted:

Seems fine to me.

By the way, firmware update chat reminds me that Intel and Samsung are good brands for Macs because these companies make at least some effort to provide firmware updater tools that can run on Macs. Samsung's are provided as downloadable ISO CD images here and a 2011 15" MacBook Pro has an internal optical drive, so that angle's covered.

Or you could rufus the ISO :shrug:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Has anyone actually done benchmarks of RAPID vs Windows write caching (set to aggressive)?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

go3 posted:

Is it slower, yes. Is it something you're going to notice, no. Its still a gozillion times faster than a platter HDD

The image right above your post shows otherwise.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

You are a monster sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

DrDork posted:

Also a scholar and a gentleman.

He truly was a gentleman to my wallet. Not so sure about the scholar part.

Also Syn, check your PMs.

• Locked thread