Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
text editor
Jan 8, 2007

mik posted:

I'm still of the opinion that the OP should just be: Buy Intel 320.

Unless you need something faster for some specialized reason (games and CDM screenshots don't count), then why take the risk of anything else.

I don't know why it isn't recommended either - supposedly super-stable and has the best random r/w performance? I'll take 10, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Why?

It's pushed by Arch & Ubuntu users as a way to lower the amount of writes ever-so-slightly.

I say don't do it.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Trying to mimize writes to your SSD with all these goofy tricks is like being the kid who got new rollerblades for christmas but never wore them because he didn't want to mess them up. By the time he decided to use them outside, they were too small.

To be fair, out of this list here, I really don't see the problem in using a lot of the tricks to cut down on writes/space usage, since a lot of them are a one-time set up kind of thing that really only require you to have extra RAM. This is no problem for me, since my new laptop has 8GB thanks to plummeting RAM prices and I rarely ever use over 1.

Things I do/have done:
-Place Firefox profile and /tmp in RAM (2gb reserved for temp, could get away with less)
-Compiling in /dev/shm - /dev/shm is a temporary ram disk, might as well do this if you have spare RAM since it's still marginally faster than an HDD, and the biggest difference in disk writes the Arch wiki mentions in the noatime section comes from a clean make.
-Use ext4 - it's pretty much the default now anyways for most Linux distros
-Set a low amount of swap space just in case, but set swappiness to 1 (1-100)
-Change scheduler from CFQ to noop

Keep in mind that my time is basically worthless so I don't have trouble finding time to add in all these little fixes, though, although all of these can be done in a few commands each.

My question is: is the "proper partition alignment" thing listed there worth it or not?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Just got a newegg promo today and they have this 120GB Sata3 Kingston HyperX for only $60 with promo code EMCNAHN68

My V100+ is still running in my laptop but I'm probably gonna grab one of these since I've desperately wanted one in my desktop too ever since.

• Locked thread