Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smax
Nov 9, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

Thread favorite Samsung 830 256GB is on sale for $167 today at Macmall.
http://www.macmall.com/p/product~dpno~9009921~pdp.hadgfac

Free 3-day shipping but I did have to pay tax in MN for a total of $180.38

I noticed this the other day but it was out of stock then.

Just bought it. No tax in Texas of those that are curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

The1DevoidoName posted:

In the same vein as above, is there any reason to get the SAMSUNG 840 250 GB over the SAMSUNG 830 256 GB?

At this time, I'd say no. The 830 is closer to the 840 Pro than it is the 840. Add to that the uncertainty with a new product and some dead drives from testers... I'd get the 830. In fact, there's one in the mail to me right now.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Edit: I got Win7 installed and everything is running fast and smoothly so far. How do I update the firmware or should I not bother with it since I'm not having any problems?

Samsung has a utility available on their website. The 830 that I just got had the latest firmware already on it so I didn't have to flash it.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

scuz posted:

Picked up an Intel 330-series 120GB for $100 bucks today, thought it would be a decent deal. I ran the CrystalMark benchtest and the sequential write speeds are identical to my 7200RPM HDD. I only have SATAII on my motherboard, but I sure thought it'd be faster than THIS. I checked firmware; it's all up to date. I tried running AHCI mode, but it blue-screened on me. Windows still loads faster and I can already tell that there's a difference in speeds across the board, but I'm wondering if there's a switch or a check-box somewhere that I've missed since I've never done this kind of thing before :ohdear:

Do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Then enable AHCI in the bios. See how it looks after you install the AHCI drivers and we'll go from there.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

So I dropped my old G.Skill Phoenix Pro 240GB (SF-1200 controller) into an Acer Aspire One D270 netbook I picked up a few weeks ago. I'm still tweaking the thing to get it the way I want it and noticed some pretty abysmal 4K read/write and access time results from AS SSD.

Some quick specs:
-Intel Atom N2600 CPU (dual core, hyperthreaded, 1.6GHz)
-Windows 7 Starter
-2GB Memory
-Intel NM10 Express Chipset
-AHCI Enabled, Intel RST installed
-BIOS and drivers up to date

AS SSD screenshot:

Requisite CrystalDiskMark screenshots (split into 2 due to a 600-pixel high screen):

So, is this just an artifact of a bottlenecked system? Is the NM10 chipset just slow? I'm really not losing a lot of sleep over this or anything, I just want to squeeze what I can out of this little thing.

smax fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 10, 2013

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Alereon posted:

It may be a chipset bottleneck, but how full is the drive, and did you try Secure Erasing the drive before you installed Windows? If not you may want to use Macrium Reflect Free or something to image the drive, Secure Erase it, then restore the image.

I honestly can't remember if I secure erased it or not--I may try that.

The drive's essentially empty aside from Windows and a few programs. Over 200 GB free.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Powershift posted:

I just installed a 1TB 840 evo. new windows install, bios recognizes it as 6gbps, rapid enabled, 10% over provisioning enabled.

What kind of controller is it plugged into? Stick to Intel controllers if possible, even if they're SATA2.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

Something I was curious about. Today we have SSD+HDD hybrid drives to serve as a mid-point in price and performance - what's the likelihood of us one day seeing RAM+SSD hybrids?

I think we already are seeing them with Samsung's 840 EVO and Pro.

It doesn't make sense to put a shitload of RAM in the SSD itself since it would be bottlenecked by the SATA interface anyway. In fact, I believe SSDs do have some ram built in for buffer, but this doesn't miraculously result in super high speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Just keep in mind that SSDs may not be the best solution for backup if you're not keeping them powered for extended periods of time (>1 year).

• Locked thread