Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I am considering buying a 128GB Crucial m4, but I have a question about SSDs. Exactly how fragile are they? I'm the kind of person who uninstalls and reinstalls games and mods quite a bit, will I kill the drive quickly like that? Or should I just stick to putting games on a normal drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok, thanks for the assurance guys. I didn't want to use an SSD and kill it with downloading and redownloading several GB of Skyrim or New Vegas mods, for example.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

http://vr-zone.com/articles/runcore-intros-invincible-ssd-with-physical-self-destruct-feature/15892.html

Now this is interesting. A self-destructing SSD that overvolts the NAND and fries it, getting rid of "sensitive" material. Wonder if they realize what 99% of their market is going to become though?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I just got an m4 and did a quick benchmark, do these numbers look right? It seems fast, but this is my first SSD and I don't know if this is what I should be getting.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Why does my m4 not feel like it is very fast? Booting up Windows feels the same way as my Caviar Black, and just overall I am not noticing a difference. Benchmarks say the drive is running as fast as it is supposed to. If it makes a difference, When I installed Windows my Caviar was connected in the first SATA port, while the SSD was in the next port, and are still connected like that.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Windows 7, connected to port 1 (Caviar Black is port 0), both are the Intel SATA III controllers, old drive was the Caviar Black 1TB

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

It's not the ASMedia ones, just double checked. I don't remember waiting on the old drive too much. I think its just me, honestly. Maybe I thought there would be some huge difference.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Biggest human being Ever posted:

It takes my 830 about 30 seconds to do a cold boot to all programs loaded (steam, mse, skype, some utils), coming from a hard drive this feels insanely fast to me, the old system took about 3 minutes more for the same task.

Hm, maybe I'm just going crazy then, mine is about 35 seconds from power on to desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

LorneReams posted:

You must have a pretty optimized system then. I went from like 3 minutes to 30 seconds to get to logon, and then after logon, it went from 3-10 minutes of slow, unresposive, to like ready to loving go in 15 seconds.

Its only a week or two old, so perhaps I haven't accidentally bloated it with a ton of stuff.

• Locked thread