Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Intel's 330 SSD is released. It's a SandForce drive less expensive than than SSD 520 and pretty darn competitive with non-Intel SSDs in terms of price.

Neat!
One thing I'm decently excited about is that it seems like Intel's pretty good at managing to get the stores to sell pretty close to their suggested prices, even in this, the land of 'we ship it over the ocean and drat well know you can't do the same so we charge what we like'. Locally speaking, if they manage to get their suggested pricing the 60gb will be competing with the OCZ Petrol unless you want to pay a premium for Corsair or Patriot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
My gut feeling would be synchronous vs asynchronous nand.
EDIT: Wait no, the non-deluxe clearly states itself as asynchronous, crap.
EDIT:

DethMarine21 posted:

http://www.mushkingames.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18391

This might shed some light on it.

Oh right, okay, I was right.

is that good fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 18, 2012

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

My Vertex 2 has been running great since they were released. So there's that.
It has the highest return rate as sampled by BeHardware/Hardware.fr, however, as listed here.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

poxin posted:

The SanDisk is $10 more but apparently is 510 MB/s write versus the M4's 175 MB/s. It also uses the new 24nm nand toggle (whatever the hell that means)

That's sequential writes on compressible data when most of your perceived difference is going to be in other statistics. I'd go for the m4 to save ten dollars, get 8gb more space and end up with a generally more trusted controller.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

The Dissonant posted:

Any Aussie goons have recommendations for good places to order SSDs (in particular, the Crucial M4)? MSY only seems to have Intel.

I've dealt with Umart, PCCaseGear and Scorptec before and I'm not really unhappy with the service they gave me, so if one of them is close to you give that a shot. Otherwise, try checking staticice. Over here the Crucial M4 doesn't really beat the Intel 330 or a few of the other lower-end Sandforce drives by that much if at all, so you might consider getting one of those.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Xbit did a review of the OCZ Petrol that was released ages ago but was completely impossible to find information on. Apparently OCZ have been making it difficult for reviewers to get samples of it. Also, it had significant changes in SMART data through their testing. Has OCZ legitimately managed to reach a new low?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Anyone recommend where I can buy an SSD from in Australia? Besides eBay that is. And if you answer with Amazon, unless something has changed and they are actually shipping more than a limited subset of items with horrific postage, please feel free to punch yourself in the genitals repeatedly.
I like MSY, Umart and PCCaseGear, myself, but yeah, probably go with StaticIce and pick what'll get you the SSD cheapest without having to deal with a store that looks to dodgy. Also when I say I like MSY I mean I like their prices and not much else.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I'd guess the x-axis should be labelled as bandwidth in gb/s or somesuch, but it's still humorously poor due to raw bandwidth not being a great metric for performance.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Interesting. Even though Intel did a ton of work, those numbers are pushing the idea that it is Sandforce at fault, and even Intel can't fix it, since their failure rate shot up..

.. But the OCZ numbers say that no matter what they use, their rates are horrible, so who knows what the means.
This isn't data from after the 330 and 520 launch - the 8mb bug was in their older drives.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
By the Hardware.fr stats that people tend to use for OCZ in regards to SSDs, Seagate does have a fairly higher return rate, yeah.
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/862-6/disques-durs.html

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The samsung 840 appears to be pretty ridiculous.
http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/samsung-840-pro-512gb-ssd-review-killer-performance-and-untouchable-iops/
A sixth of the power usage over the 830 and a pretty big jump in performance alongside.
E: Oh okay it looks like the absurdly low power usage specs are a misprint - it's not being reflected in anandtech's testing.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6328/samsung-ssd-840-pro-256gb-review

is that good fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 24, 2012

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I did a bit of reading and people seem to think Samsung 830s can have 1TB of data written per year for 10 years and still not become unwritable. Sounds like bullshit?
10 TB sounds really easy for a modern SSD, to be honest. If I recall, most of them are okay with more data than you'd ever be writing it with unless you're doing things where you already have to know if an SSD is for you over a something like about 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Oh god my desktop has been set to IDE mode for I don't know how long. I've changed it back in BIOS, but it has already been taking absurdly long time to boot. When should it do its garbage collection and get back up to speed? Should I update RST, or do anything else?

• Locked thread