Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well, Vertex/Agility are both OCZ drives, so that might have more to do with it.

I haven't seen a lot of people come in here saying "poo poo, my force/force gt just died"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Most common Linux file systems don't support trim unfortunately

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's an SF 22xx drive, so with the firmware updates and whatnot should be ok. In fact that's a good price for the GT model.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well, if you are doing something where you would benefit from the extra data bandwidth.

For reliability reasons it really makes a lot more sense to get the 240 unless it's hugely more expensive. If it's like a 10 or 20 dollar difference I would lean towards that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I've got an Intel controller and I can handle backups, but I'm not doing anything massively intensive. The price difference is 40 GBP, £285 for the 240 vs. £245 for the 2 120s

Ugh that is definitely more than I would have thought. Well, it's up to you, certainly. Just remember you're doubling your odds of :pt:

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Out of curiosity, as well as being in the same position as TomWaitsForNoMan, what tasks could you be doing that would benefit from the extra bandwidth?

Really loving enormous photoshop files, video editing, anything that would benefit from crazy sequential speeds (not any normal desktop use).

Dogen fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 23, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

1) you won't notice a difference
2) it's up to you really, 90 was too small for me but 128 is working out nicely

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If someone in the computer hardware aisle is giving away free advice, they probably have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about. There is a dude at my local Fry's who just hangs out all day and does this and never buys anything.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also keep in mind that the controller for the eSATA port might be (probably is) lovely and slow, and lacks TRIM support.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Treytor posted:

I am thinking for now that the speed increase from a SSD RAID 0 would be worth not having TRIM temporarily at least until it's supported by Intel. Am I wrong?

Maybe, what are you using the machine for?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Since video editing is a sequential task, and raid 0 only improves sequential performance, I'd say you would see some benefit there, though I don't know how much. Won't matter at all in anything else you do.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Zhentar posted:

RAID 0 will improve random performance as well on SSDs. It doesn't help on mechanical drives because of seek times.

That said, SSDs get such good random performance already you're very rarely disk bound on random accesses anyway.

It only helps with QD over 1, which is not most things.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alereon posted:

Thanks for that. I really wonder what OCZ is doing to cause all these failures, it seems like just soldering a controller, some flash, and some random components to a PCB would be a pretty easy thing not to gently caress up, yet somehow their drives fail at least twice as often as similar competitor drives.

They just do lovely basic electronics work is I think a big part of the problem. Just looking at their power supplies (I haven't seen a teardown of any SSDs) you see lovely design, lovely wiring, and you have to assume their QA is also lovely or they would stop the worst units getting through.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Probably not, I'd buy whichever is cheaper

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well, it's hard to say if whatever is going on there is systematic or a bunch of people are showing up and saying "omg my drive failed too must be design flaw". It will be interesting to see if they find anything.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just the SF22xx bug that's been squashed, I think

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'd probably just get the 470

Dogen
May 5, 2002

More games that you can install without futzing with them, and generally bigger drives (up to 256 gigs, usually) are generally faster against smaller in the same line due to being able to access more flash simultaneously.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Make sure that's an intel port. I worry that it might be Marvell if you had to install a driver.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'm a little over 3000 hours in on mine. Good timing, I guess.

What would cause this to happen, I wonder?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Impossible to say really, given how oddly it behaved I would be cautiously optimistic.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

For a SF-2281 based drive, yeah

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Kingston V+100? Those ought to be cheap and reliable.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

No, the V+ model... Looks like those are mostly gone. I would stay away from OCZ Vertex... hmm.

Spring a bit more for a Corsair Force 3 or Intel 320?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Tri SLI has stolen all its electricity (that was you, wasn't it?)

Has it had any oddball workloads or anything lately? The GC isn't the best on the M4, so it can take some time to recover if you've done anything too demanding to it.

On the other hand, can't see as you'd probably notice the difference outside of some numbers in benchmarks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It won't have changed unless you changed it in some way, so I doubt that's it if you were getting good speeds when you set it up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah games is a big part of it, for a laptop if your work doesn't involve a bunch of huge files, you probably have a good sense of what you can get away with.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

unpronounceable posted:

Just heard that Crucial has a new firmware for the M4 that fixes the BSOD bug.

Well, I installed it on my 128 and nothing exploded. So far, so good.

edit: just in the nick of time, 3200 hours on the drive! Slightly less than 2000 more and I would have been in trouble.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

feld posted:

anyone know if this firmware issue affects any non-Windows OSes? Perhaps FreeBSD?

I think I saw some Mac people complaining about it, being a firmware issue you would think that it is OS agnostic.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

SovietSpyGuy posted:

I'm more confused than ever but I guess I'm content to just shrug and back away slowly.

This is always the best policy.

Crucial M4 fix: Eh I think it's been 5 or 6 weeks for some people, so not super fast, but it wouldn't put me off buying them again. No worse than the bug with the 320s was.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

More to do with Sandforce than corsair probably

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They're pretty similar, at the end of the day. I don't think the 830 performs that much better from what I've seen, and the M4 just had a major bug squashed. I'd go with whatever's cheaper, unless maybe the 830 was like $10, $20 more at the size I was buying tops.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

No it doesn't.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alexander Nevermind posted:

Just a heads up to all Crucial M4 owners, a new firmware has been released to fix an issue of BSOD'ing after 5184 hours.

Get it here: http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx?AID=10273954&PID=3332167&SID=u00000626

Welcome to a week ago!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post399561675

Incidentally it's been a week since I installed it and all seems well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alexander Nevermind posted:

How did you install it by mounting it on a CD?

Yeah I was too lazy to remember how to do it just using a flash drive, which is what I did to take it up to 009.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

An update for the Samsung 830: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5460/samsung-updates-the-firmware-of-ssd-830-series-fixes-bsod-issue

Says not too many people have had the problem and that in Anandtech's eyes at least the drive is one of the most reliable

Dogen
May 5, 2002

McGuirk posted:

Okay I did a clean install, and did, or rather didn't do the other stuff.. but this I am a little confused about...

I hooked the thing up via SATA to my mobo, and use whatever drivers installed during OS install, INTEL drivers (I think...)..

Do you just mean don't install some crap 3rd party drivers over top of them?

(I made the mistake of turning off indexing, before I decided to ask in here, and was rewarded with a blue screen for my trouble :-/)

He means don't use the lovely third party SATA ports that most motherboard providers add on to have more ports (more SATA6gb ports, for a modern board).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

What kind of crucial? M4? If so, you might make sure it's plugged into an intel sata6gb port, if your system is of recent vintage (about a year old or less).

If not, take solace in the fact that those numbers are meaningless, really.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

I know nothing about it, but Mushkin is a name that evokes badass memory in the days of DDR, so it made me like it from that. However, that is an entirely useless piece of information.

They still make pretty nice memory, I am running some low voltage (1.35) DDR3 for cheap that replaced my insane old style heat spreader vengeance DDR3.

That said, it's an old SF-1200 controller, of which I have personally used 2. Both have died. They WERE both OCZ, however.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

RST is almost certainly being used if you installed it- there should be an icon for it in your tray notification area.

Those numbers look dandy for a 128gig M4 (I have the same drive myself).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It was a problem drive, yeah. They seem to mostly have the problems with the SF-22xx line sorted, but OCZ's reliability versus other manufacturers as far as the drive simply dying goes is not great.

• Locked thread