Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Are OCZ drives still garbage? They seem to be getting decent reviews, and I've been thinking about getting 4 of these (Raid-0) for my new build:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q81CKY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm really going for performance as this is for my main work PC, which I game on as well. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

I do a lot of design and video editing work (and a large steam folder). I figure it's better to spread it out over 4 drives for the performance gain. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I realize the risk of failure is higher, but I figure it's worth it for the performance gain. I back up nightly to an on site and off site location, so that's not really an issue either.

Please feel free to tell me I'm nuts, I'm open to any suggestions.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

May I ask why that is?

Wouldn't 4 drives in raid effectively be twice as fast as 2?

EDIT: Never mind, the mobo I'm looking at only has 2 SATA 3 connectors anyway. It even comes out to be cheaper if I go for the Corsair drives, too! Thanks :)

Treytor fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 16, 2011

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Alereon posted:

Also, unless you have a super-expensive PCI-E x8 or higher RAID card you're not going to have enough bandwidth from the CPU to the SATA controller to get much benefit beyond 2-drive RAID0.

I'm putting them on this mobo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0067I50MC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Which has 2 SATA 3 connectors. I assume this would be fine?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Would it be terribly inefficient to hook up a Corsair Force 3 240 GB SATA 3 to a sata 2 controller?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

If I put a couple SSDs in RAID 0, will I lose the ability to individually access the drives / update firmware if necessary? Would I risk losing the integrity of the RAID by temporarily disabling it to update the firmware?

Also, is it certain that TRIM in an SSD RAID is currently unavailable? It should be available soon via Intel's drivers, correct? Googling isn't quite clear on this.

I am thinking for now that the speed increase from a SSD RAID 0 would be worth not having TRIM temporarily at least until it's supported by Intel. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Dogen posted:

Maybe, what are you using the machine for?

Heavy multi-tasking daily driver (video editing and graphic work) / gaming.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

So I set up a RAID-0 2 drive SSD array in the bios, then installed windows 7 onto that "drive". I am now realizing that I don't think Windows knows that it is in fact installed on an SSD. Isn't it supposed to detect that and disable certain things like defrag, prefetch, etc?

Is there a way I can force Windows to install as if it's being installed on an SSD? What exactly does it it change? Will I need to make these adjustments manually? Thanks!

EDIT: Although this article is a bit old, I think this guy may have answered my question - http://vladsnotes.hrybok.com/PermaLink,guid,b337fd48-7f00-4633-a31a-2a22352fbf90.aspx

Treytor fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 31, 2011

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

CCleaner takes care of that command, plus a bunch of other stuff. It's a staple in my windows arsenal - https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

vVv: Wasn't aware of that. The command did nothing for me (probably because I installed SP1 slipstreamed), but I assumed that maybe it was because ccleaner took care of it already. In any case, use CCleaner.

Treytor fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 12, 2012

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

What's the general consensus of enabling or disabling write-back cache in Intel RST with SSD raid-0 setups?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

My mother is a pretty heavy computer user (lots of browser tabs and word processing) and complains about it being unbearably slow. I've looked at it numerous times and nothing seems particularly out of the ordinary other than having a lot of things open all the time. I built it for her a couple years ago (quad core, 8 gigs ram) so it should be sufficient for her needs.

I'm guessing the bottleneck is the 1 TB hard drive. I'm thinking about putting a 240gb Corsair m4 in there to speed things up. The problem is she requires a lot of storage space for docs and stuff.

How can I use her old drive to store her "My Documents" folder, and use the SSD for OS / programs. It would be best if this was completely transparent to her. Is there a way to map these folders to another drive? She's running Windows 7.

Thanks!

Treytor fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 7, 2012

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Shoulda known it was so easy. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

You have checked her computer for viruses, spyware, maleware, etc., right?

She uses Chrome. Yes I have checked for viruses and all that, and she is just fine. She's going out of town this weekend and is leaving it with me so I will investigate further as to what the real problem might be. She never turns it off and leaves things open all the time. It behaves like there is a memory leak somewhere, but I was never able to find specifically what it was that was causing the slowdown. I think I do remember a lot of thrashing though which is what made me think of an SSD in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Locked thread