Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

God drat it my vacation made me miss an Intel 320 300GB on SA-Mart for $360. drat it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AHCI should already be enabled unless you built your system wrong.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

This is what it looks like to work with professionals.
I'm amazed Intel stuck with it and was able to polish that turd. I know a few companies spent months on SF-2281 designs and just got so frustrated with the part and gave up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For my money, the Samsung 830 is still the drive to buy. I'm really tempted to grab one, but I'm curious to see if Apple ends up with one for their iMacs this spring.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

I don't suppose there's any way to get an SSD working on an Xbox 360?
Not that I'm aware of.

KrautHedge posted:

Is there anything special I need to do with an SSD on OS X Lion? I've got a crucial M4 coming tomorrow and I have never set on up before.
Enable TRIM if you want.

http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

I think they might have updated the utility finally, I don't know for sure though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Hey, what ever happened to those 256GB Western Digital SSD's NewEgg blew out for $200 back in June?

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/54289/newegg-western-digital-siliconedge-blue-2.5-256gb-sata-ii-mlc-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd-oem
I know they weren't the fastest drive but that was a huge drive for the price at the time. It looked like they all went straight to CL/eBay and if I remember, they didn't sell that well.
They were basically the same as a Kingston V Series and used the first JMicron controller that wasn't completely terrible paired with some custom firmware. As an SSD they're still quite a bit faster than a traditional platter drive, but they were one of the slower SSDs on the market. WD's big thing was reliability and compatibility, which 2 years ago most SSD vendors couldn't claim outside of Intel.

I know there are still folks here using them. I really wish I could have caught a couple of them when they got cleared out.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Anyone have any glowing experiences with hybrid drives as primary drives in a laptop? Newegg has the 500gb seagate for 99 today. I'm using an ancient 60gb agility for the time being, but I've been loading out for a lower-end 120.
The 500GB Momentus XT is a bad drive. If you want a hybrid, either get their 750GB (which is the new one) or none at all.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't worry about mounting it. Just let it dangle.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 3, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doh004 posted:

That's essentially when I'm doing for now (it's resting at the bottom of my empty second bay) but why? Shouldn't the bracket prevent this from happening?
Where'd the bracket come from?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

Is is any news of SATA IV in the near future?
Nope. But there is SAS 12gbps!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FallenGod posted:

My shiny new Crucial M4 256gb SSD has arrived, lets see how it fairs against my old WD 256gb drive from ages past:

:getin:
At least give platters a fair shake! That's an ancient drive to begin with. This is from something a bit more modern:

But compared to my new Samsung 830, welp:

:laugh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What's the capacity? Smaller SSDs can't match the sequential throughput of 256+ GB SSDs. Random is generally more important to everyday use anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Using non-randomized data makes it impossible to compare to other drives. Don't use 0s or 1s as the test data. You're just lying to yourself if you do.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

VVV Sorry, I didn't now that. This is the very first time I've had an SSD and I'm just trying to make sure it's working right.
Your SSD is working just fine.

An explanation on why using 0s and 1s is lying to yourself: some SSDs compress the data before it's thrown onto the NAND, so highly compressible data like all 0s or 1s (which don't reflect real world usage) artificially inflate their benchmark scores.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xPanda posted:

I'm torn between the Samsung 830 and Intel 520, and as they each perform/cost about the same I want to focus on reliability. Would it be right to say that these drives are both too new to really comment on their long term reliability? I find the Intel drive confusing - Intel is known for reliability, but the SF-2281 controller has a bad rap, doesn't it? Any opinions on which I should get?
I went Samsung 830 just this week when trying to decide between the two. Apple has the most stringent qualification requirements for client storage products on the planet. If Samsung SSDs are good enough for them, they're good enough for me.

Also my Air has a 256GB Samsung 470 in it that I've been thoroughly pleased with. :3:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rawrr posted:

I thought airs use non standard SSDs?

Mine has the shittier Toshiba one :<
They're non-standard, but only in form factor and some slight firmware changes. At its heart, the SSD in my MacBook Air is a Samsung 470. Same controller, NAND, and performance.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

redeyes posted:

Exactly, so you can spend 5-10 grand, get the best thing Apple produces and still get a consumer standard hard drive. Uncredible.
What are you expecting, an enterprise drive? My statement is not wrong. Apple has the most stringent client (consumer) drive qualification process of any OEM. Compared to what Dell, HP, Acer, etc. ship in their systems, Apple gets the best.

If you want a Cheetah or Raptor or something in the Mac Pro, I'm sorry but Apple just doesn't ask for it from its vendors. That's a walking dead system anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 11, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I don't think he's saying it's a bad or unreliable drive but Dell lets you get 10k SATA and SAS drives in their Precision workstations
That's a different channel and having worked for suppliers to Apple, you can't control what they ask for. I'm saying that in any given channel for third-party parts, be it batteries, RAM, display panels, consumer storage, etc. Apple's qualification requirements are ball-bustingly hard to hit for vendors. Any OEM that can hit them is okay in my book. I'm sorry I ever started the stupid derail.

This all goes back to: buy a Samsung 830 instead of an Intel 520. gently caress Sandforce.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yes Samsung's SSDs are very reliable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dogen posted:

If you mean would it have an adverse effect on temperatures, results have been mixed but center around "no effect".
Nah ASUS' "Thermal Armor" is completely terrible. They put it on their high-end board, but don't supply you with the fan that actually moves air through it. It's an additional accessory.

Temps were much higher than they should have been on the 200 systems we purchased with Thermal Armor so we had to disassemble all of them and rip the Thermal Armor off.

loving stupid design, ASUS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

I understand that they tarnished their reputation pretty badly but to dismiss them entirely because they had a bad run with SandForce controllers seems a bit much.
It wasn't just Sandforce. They've done bullshit with using lower quality NAND and not telling folks, then when they got called out they didn't want to do anything about it. It was enough of a PR disaster that they finally caved and allowed folks to pay to send their drive in and get the one they thought they were buying the first time around.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jwoven posted:

Shady, shady company.
They were shady and had a terrible reputation for PC components even before they got into SSDs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

I dunno, I thought their RAM was fairly well regarded. I ran all OCZ DDR2 on my older systems, but then again it wasn't any crazy extreme overclocker stuff, like some of the really high-end Crucial Ballistix.

e: ^^ 'sup fellow former [H]tard
By the time DDR2 rolled around they had mostly cleaned up their act. Their horrible RAM days were in the DDR/SD-RAM days around 2000. Behold, people basically saying the same thing about OCZ (that they used to be terrible) back in 2003. :laugh:

gently caress that company.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dogen posted:

If you install Intel RST drivers I am pretty sure the default options install a utility that you can use to check SMART status, which further reduces the need for a manufacturer produced utility
Speaking of, is there any reason to install the RST drivers? The Intel chipset package mentions installing SATA drivers, so I didn't want to do anything redundant.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

redeyes posted:

Yes, they fix all kinds of SSD specific issues. You do NOT want to be on an Intel system without RST drivers.
But the Intel chipset utility specifically state that they install SATA drivers.

If you say so. I'm not sure what all these SSD specific issues could be.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

People still put optical drives in their systems? :pwn:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

MP3-cds for the car don't just appear, you know. Playing Blu-rays, too.

zenintrude posted:

Gotta rip those discs somehow.
USB Blu-ray drives are fantastic.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

They look like poo stacked on top of an HTPC.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I never leave a Blu-ray drive plugged in because Blu-ray playback software is crap on the PC. I just rip 'em.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fookolt posted:

Oh poo poo.

So, uh, any recommendations for a 2.5->3.5 internal bay adapter?
Double-sided tape.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do some companies use 128/256/etc and some other companies use 120/240/etc for sizes?
Depends on how much they need to reserve for things like on-drive garbage collection.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

30 seconds on Google for this:

Yes your numbers seem reasonable considering you're using SATA 2. Now that your purchase has been validated, enjoy your SSD.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I wonder what will happen to OCZ's hot PR girl. :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

awful color schemes that Windows 3.1 had... ("hotdog stand", etc)
How dare you

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

Unlike harddrives, a very small number of reallocated sectors is not unusual on SSDs
I suppose this is arguing for the sake of arguing, but a small number of reallocated sectors on HDDs is not unusual either. Some HDDs will relo to spare sectors in firmware without even notifying the user/logging to SMART. Only after a certain threshold of used spares will it start logging to SMART because some failure is considered within the manufacturing spec of that drive. Once they start showing up in SMART logs, it's probably worth considering it a failing drive.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Speaking of Apple SSDs, I got my new rMBP today:

Holy poo poo, PCIe SSDs are fast!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I ran an 80GB Intel X-25 in my 2010 for over a year with no issues
Yep I used a 160GB X-25M G2 without issue. I'm not saying to buy a 5-year old SSD, but I don't think the compatibility is that limited.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Enabling TRIM in OS X on third-party SSDs works pretty reliably, in my experience.

Also, unrelated but I don't think I've talked about it much here, so for those who don't frequent the Mac hardware thread: Fusion is loving awesome. If you have a Mac that can fit two drives, I highly recommend doing a DIY Fusion setup. I have a 256GB SSD + 4TB HDD setup in my iMac and it's great.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Unexpected posted:

I thought a SSD would have much higher benchmarks when connected via Thunderbolt (Seagate adapter) as opposed to USB 3 (Anker adapter) but this is not the case.

Am I missing something?
Welcome to the world of lovely external bridges.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Enable RAPID for stupid 1tb/s+ benchmarks

You don't need RAPID for that, just a PCIe SSD. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Civil posted:

Is the info on crucial drives still valid?
Yes, it was only recently added.

• Locked thread